PDA

View Full Version : I Heard the Air Raid Siren Scream My Name

Meli
February 12th, 2014, 11:48 AM
In an ongoing effort to find out what's wrong with my right ta-ta, yesterday afternoon about 1:20 I got a call from scheduling wanting to set up my MRI appointment. I was willing to do it next week sometime, but my doc put a rush on it. Could I go in at 3:00? I get off work at 2:30 and it's a 30 minute drive, but... sure.

They gave me scrubs to wear, then had me open the top to get situated on the machine. I offered to ditch it, but that wasn't an option.

They wanted to do high contrast imaging, so I experienced the exquisite joy of having an IV with a flexible tube inserted into my arm.

They gave me little yellow squishy things for my ears. I had reason, later, to wonder why they bothered.

They helped me get situated on the slab. Head facing out of the tube, face down, a bolster under my feet, a ball in my hand to squeeze in case of emergency, a towel under my IV'd arm to keep it straight. My core was on a ramp which ended about mid-rib, and "the girls" were carefully positioned on a pink, tissue-y paper-fabric with strategically placed cutouts.

Once I was all hooked up, they slid me in, said they were going to do all the scans in one session (rather than taking breaks in between sequences) just to get it done as quickly as possible.

And then the air raid sirens began. HOLY COW!!! I have NEVER experienced such an uncomfortable cacophony in my life. It was a constant barage from start to finish, roughly 30 minutes. It was interspersed with and accompanied by rhythmic clicks. I started humming various songs, using the clicks like a metronome. Sometimes the screams of the machine complimented the notes I was humming, sometimes it really didn't.

Finally, the screeching stopped. The slab moved forward. The nightmare had ended. A few minutes of disorientation, the removal of the IV, the return of my clothes, and I was free!

Now to wait for the results.

dwil23
February 12th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Yikes! Does not sound like a pleasant way to spend the afternoon. Praying that it will be good news.

bubba
February 12th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Except for the first one I had, I've always been giving headphones to listen to music and I actually fall asleep! My husband had one when they found his tumor that lasted 2.5 hours and he had the headphones too. They could hardly wake him up he was so sound asleep!!

Hope all goes well for you!

New York Sue
February 12th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I had an MRI of my shoulder last year. AWFUL. I was nearly ready to 'wig out' when the test ended.
I had to talk myself 'down' the entire time...
My Best to you, Meli! Let's pray for good results!

EmmaB
February 12th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Hoping your results will be good!!

I did the same thing you did when I had an mri. What a bunch of noise it was but I tried to turn it into music.

Lilly
February 12th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I get a little claustrophobic in those things. Glad you made it out ok. Praying for a great outcome.

MayinJerset
February 12th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Yikes! Does not sound like a pleasant way to spend the afternoon. Praying that it will be good news.
I agree not the best afternoon but pray the results very good and worth the noise.

HandsOffItsMine
February 12th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Sadly I've spent way too many hours in those darn things...I've come to enjoy the solitude in them!

I've only gotten the earplugs that are pretty useless.lol Use meditation to zone out and leave the table, actually use the beat of the knocking to get there. :)

Glad you are taking the steps to find out what is going on with the right TaTa. Prayers that all will be well.

Huggers, Ruby

WendyI
February 12th, 2014, 03:49 PM
That does not sound like fun. I had an MRI done on my knee once and they are very loud...so weird to me in this day and age. I sure hope your results are good!

Sandy Navas
February 12th, 2014, 09:22 PM
SPECIAL PRAYERS FOR MY ELIZABETH!!

easyquilts
February 12th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Good grief! That sounds horrendous... Waiting for the results with you....

Meli
February 12th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Thanks, Gang!
Called the doc's office today and scheduled a follow up meeting with her on Monday. I also asked about the results of the cytology labs. All the nurse would tell me is the results are in and the doctor wants to discuss them with me in person when I see her on Monday. On one hand, kind of annoyed that I have to wait till Monday. On the other hand, kind of wigged out no one but the doc is allowed to tell me anything. *breathe* *breathe* *breathe*

Mimis-quilts
February 12th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Meli, hope you get good results! I had an MRI of my neck last June...kept falling asleep. But of course I was lying on my back...unlike you.

Mimis-quilts
February 13th, 2014, 12:01 AM
I know this is an annoying fact of life...but it is better to hear results from the doctor. They are the expert...nurses, like myself are constantly being asked for test results...and while there are times that I would like to give someone GOOD news...I never want to be the one to give the BAD news. We (nurses, techs, lab personnel) don't know treatment regimens, nor are we trained to answer complicated questions. It is hard to wait for test results...but you are better off waiting for the doctor to have all the results and then taking the time to go over it all with you. Hang in there!

Thanks, Gang!
Called the doc's office today and scheduled a follow up meeting with her on Monday. I also asked about the results of the cytology labs. All the nurse would tell me is the results are in and the doctor wants to discuss them with me in person when I see her on Monday. On one hand, kind of annoyed that I have to wait till Monday. On the other hand, kind of wigged out no one but the doc is allowed to tell me anything. *breathe* *breathe* *breathe*

Lonna
February 13th, 2014, 12:09 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am praying that you have the peace that I had with all the prayers from these wonderful ladies.

ilive2craft2
February 13th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Meli, I wish you could see the doc before Monday, that just seems so far away when you are waiting for test results. It always seems like hurry up, get the test done and then see you in a week or so. Do something you enjoy, like quilting, that will keep you busy to help pass the time. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

snippet
February 13th, 2014, 12:34 AM
wow, I knew a lot of people didn't like MRI's but I had no idea it was so loud and noisy! I hope all is good and the results are fine. Thanks for the description. Now I know what to expect should I ever have to have an MRI.

stationarymom
February 13th, 2014, 03:59 AM
i wish you all the best of luck .