PDA

View Full Version : STORM CHECK-IN HERE

Bubby
February 12th, 2014, 10:15 AM
If you are in the path of the latest arctic storm, please let us know how you're doing by posting on this thread. They are calling for widespread power outages. We are praying for you and your families.

GrammaBabs
February 12th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Me too,,, watching tv last night it was painful to see how difficult it is for people not used to this kind of weather... as well, DH and I are fortunate enough to stay home if the weather is horrible.. we only pray NOT to lose power.. even that is minimal, living in a retirement community with so many that have medical issues... our town works diligently to restore power within hours... we are blessed..
Will be thinking of you all!

New York Sue
February 12th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Be safe, every one! I'm particularly concerned about our friends in Georgia! Our road crews are capable of dealing with ice, theirs not at all...
It's minus 2 here, this morning. And 62 degrees at the Winter Olympics! How CRAZY is that?

dizzyLiz
February 12th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Hi All. I'm in Fair Play South Carolina. I'm located 100 miles north of Atlanta Georgia. Right now we have 4 inches on the ground and it's still coming down. I took Sally Sue out to potty, she LOVED the snow. Ran around the yard at full speed with pure joy on her face. I did notice the "snow" coming down is ice particles. Our govenor has declared a state of emergency. My husbands company closed for the first time in 25 years. I'm quite worried about the ice storm to hit this afternoon as we will probably lose power. We have no other way to heat, so I think there is major cuddle time coming for DH and I, LOL I'm not complaining. My biggest wory is my Dad, he is on oxygen for copd, and went to the ER Tuesday at 1am....he has the flu. We have enough tanks for 60 hours for him. My niece is staying with him as my step mother is in the hospital with pnemonia........please pray for him. I'm off to do dishes and put a chicken in the oven while I have power.

Bubby
February 12th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Liz, You have lot on your plate right now without the bad weather. I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers. Please keep us updated.

Lilly
February 12th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Praying for everyone -especially Liz. Yes, the weather report last night made me concerned for you all. Funny, a year ago, before MSQ - the weather in other states never bothered me. Now, knowing all you wonderful women, it matters a lot more.

dizzyLiz
February 12th, 2014, 01:20 PM
ok chicken in the oven. Geesh ya'll are making me cry.....thank you for prayers. I used to love snow storms.....this one I'm filled with anxiety. Well the snow has turned to sleet so I'm going to to some more cleaning while I can.

Love to all,
Liz

Shirley
February 12th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Take care Liz!! I'll be praying for you and your Dad. Well all your family. :D

Madeforyouinma11
February 12th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Liz..keeping you and your family in my prayers.
Our snow here is not supposed to be as bad as the storm we had in January but we shall see. We are right on the line of 3-6" and 6-10". It's supposed to get really cold so the short changeover to rain could make things pretty dangerous.
Hubby is at classes for work this week so as soon as he gets home today, I'll do a couple of errands and then I'll be good to go. They are saying more snow on Saturday and then again on Tuesday!

pcbatiks
February 12th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Prays for you and your family Liz.

Cathy F
February 12th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Liz, hoping you make it through without loss of power, sending prayers your way to be safe.

TRLSRL72
February 12th, 2014, 02:45 PM
The roads here are already covered and we were a little prepared. Salt trucks have been out since last night. The problem here is no one really knows how to drive in the snow, so it truly makes for a lot of wrecks. Some roads have been closed so they can be treated. To everyone, please stay at home if you can. It doesn't take much to roll a vehicle and get hurt.
I'm concerned with the ice storm coming our way this afternoon. Praying we don't lose power.

Praying for everyone, please stay warm.

HandsOffItsMine
February 12th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Atlanta checking in! Hail and rain with lots of ice on the roads out here in Dallas/Acworth.

Don was scheduled to work but Enterprise decided at the last minute to be closed. I'm happy 'cause didn't want him out there.

Matt is working from home again and looks like he'll do the same tomorrow...it looks like it might even be worse.

Ice on our windows facing east still at almost 1 pm...

Everyone please stay home if you can!

Prayers and huggers, Ruby and family

auntiemern
February 12th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Prayers going out for those in the path of this winter storm.

GinnyKNC
February 12th, 2014, 04:00 PM
The weather outside is frightful! I'm lucky I get to work from home. But I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting on my hubby and oldest son's work to let them leave. NC North of Charlotte isn't looking pretty right now lol. I'm more concerned with the freezing rain than the snow.

redcaboose1717
February 12th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Just read a news story that there's 350,000 people without power in Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, the Carolinas.....how terrible. My prayers are with you.....Be safe.

Carol336
February 12th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Not supposed to start here until after dinner time - 7 or 8. We are hunkered down, loaded up with TP, milk and bread - LOL. Praying for all those in the storm's path especially those not used to this kind of weather - and omg I'm especially sending prayers up for Liz and her family. Stay safe everyone. Keep checking in if you can.

Iris Girl
February 12th, 2014, 05:32 PM
suppose to start around midnight here. I know I won't be going anywhere tomorrow nor will hubby. I am worried about my son he works the replenishment team and thurs is truck day. he usually goes in at 3am. they have changed that to 11pm tonight. So we just had a family meeting and gave him the ok to call out. he lives the furthest from the store and we are over a mountain and it is suppose to come down fast and furious. He would have been in the store not near the windows to check on the weather till it was too late. He also drives an old 97 olds cutlass supreme. Did I do good telling him to stay enlight of what is coming or am I being a crazy over protective momma ?

Bubby
February 12th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Bumping this up so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

GinnyKNC
February 12th, 2014, 05:57 PM
NC again - All my lovely family members are home safe :icon_woohoo:
Roads are horrible with some shut down. Still snowing hard! The ice is heading this way and that I am not looking forward to.
Power still on and hoping it stays that way.
Everyone please be safe.
Time for milk sandwiches LOL - only kidding - after being down South for all these years I still don't understand why stores sell out of milk and bread when it snows.

Bubby
February 12th, 2014, 06:12 PM
When we get a warning about a pending storm the store here runs out of the same things every time: bread, milk, lunch meat, chips and toilet paper!

Miss Sheri
February 12th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Hi Friends,
Just piping in to wish you all well and safe and warm. I am not in the storm's path, but my thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

If your power goes out, and you have kids in your home, it can become a fun family time. Some of our favorites involve flashlights.
Such as, flashlight dancing, flashlight tag, (these keep you warm!) and when we all settle down in sleeping bags and blankets on the floor of one room and play UNO by flashlight.

We also do 'campfire' dinners by cooking a can of chili over a candle, hot dogs work too. You just have to have a few cans, taller than your candle on which you can rest a small cooling rack, set the candle under the cooling rack and you can heat many things, including hot chocolate. We roast marshmallows over candle flames too. Have fun and stay safe. Love to all!

Miss Sheri

K. McEuen
February 12th, 2014, 06:37 PM
after being down South for all these years I still don't understand why stores sell out of milk and bread when it snows.

Because you can eat cereal and sandwiches without having to cook them and if the power goes out the milk will stay cold outside.

Hoping everyone is staying safe and warm in all this weather. That is one huge reason that I live where I do - we get snow, but it is gone in a day and the majority of the time it doesn't get that cold. It's 53 degrees here right now, little cloudy, but that is it.

Sheena
February 12th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Cheshire, England: We're just getting over some really bad wind. oops. I mean it's windy outside. We're on a red warning which means possible risk to life. Gusts are between 70 -100 mph. The wind is rushing up the River Mersey and straight up my garden. it blew the door off my hen coup but I managed to fix it back on. Luckily the girls stayed in the coup. The shed door's off and I can't fix that, so the things inside are getting wet. Local motorways are closed.

We were getting scared earlier because it was so bad, but it's calming down now.

No snow yet, but it'll come over here when it's done over there!

Bubby
February 12th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Stay safe, Sheena. We will be praying for you.

Blondie
February 12th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Hey y'all
Been offline most of the day. The snow is really putting it down here. We are expecting about 12 inches here. I am not thinking we will be getting the ice that my quilty sisters south and east of me are getting. We normally get more ice than snow - fingers crossed that this just stays snow. No salt trucks, no scraping - we have several inches already.
Time to head down The Hill and ride this out with the Mom. I most likely will not be here in the a.m. - play nice, sew up a storm, smile lots and see you on the flip side. I intend to make a snowman outta this stuff. Not sure if it is good enough for that = the snow out there is really powdery and dry. Still, Middle Son Josh and I will give it a Carolina try!

HandsomeRyan
February 12th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Hasn't started here yet but they are calling for 12". I am hopeful that last weeks ice storm already took down all the power lines and we'll get to keep power this time. Also hoping Little Man doesn't chose this as the moment to make his arrival.

GrammaBabs
February 12th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Liz and all of you, hang in there,,, Blondie 12"... heck that's no way for NC to behave!! We are leary of the high winds.. but the snow is going to be nice to us.. My DSIL has a landscaping / plow business so for him it snows "money"... hard work, but someone has to do it..
Thinking of you all..hugs B

Lindagie
February 12th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Always looking on the bright side Blondie; our last snow wasn't good for snowmen either, as it wouldn't pack at all. DGD and I just threw it at each other and tried some snow angels instead while my son and older granddaughter shoveled the drive. We have clear roads now and I hope it stays that way as DH has to go tonight for a sleep study and then a PFT in two days.

I am saying prayers for all of you in the path, esp. those with medical issues that require you to have a warm home with power for your equipment; and hoping that no one has an emergency in that mess. Wish you all well and stay safe!

Genny
February 12th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Ryan you keep talking to Little Man telling him its best if he delays his birth a few more days!

I'm praying everyone in the path of this storm is home safe and warm.

grannyann
February 12th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Blondie stay safe and warm. Hope you all get a break out on the East Coast.

HandsomeRyan I was just thinking about you and wondering if the little man was here yet. Sure hope he don't decide come when you can't get out. Hoping for the best. By the way do you know anything about delivering a baby?

I will call my sister in RI tonight to see if she is getting it yet. Stay safe and warm.

soul60s
February 12th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Hasn't started here yet but they are calling for 12". I am hopeful that last weeks ice storm already took down all the power lines and we'll get to keep power this time. Also hoping Little Man doesn't chose this as the moment to make his arrival.

Do you have emergency plans in case he decides to do what a lot of kids do and show up at the most inopportune times?

soul60s
February 12th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Blondie stay safe and warm. Hope you all get a break out on the East Coast.

HandsomeRyan I was just thinking about you and wondering if the little man was here yet. Sure hope he don't decide come when you can't get out. Hoping for the best. By the way do you know anything about delivering a baby?

I will call my sister in RI tonight to see if she is getting it yet. Stay safe and warm.

I am in RI and nothing yet.

grannyann
February 12th, 2014, 08:52 PM

Thanks Joanne. I was wondering . I will call her after a bit. Just maybe you will miss it all together. One can only hope.

ilive2craft2
February 12th, 2014, 09:05 PM
All of you in the path of the storm are in my prayers! Hoping Mini Cooper stays where is is right now until the storm is cleared.

MRoy
February 12th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Prayers for everyone in the path of the storm. It will just clip the very eastern-most part of KY. I have family in NC and hope they are doing okay.

soul60s
February 12th, 2014, 09:09 PM

Thanks Joanne. I was wondering . I will call her after a bit. Just maybe you will miss it all together. One can only hope.

It's supposed to be a big mix but we are used to it.

Sandy Navas
February 12th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Special prayers for everyone who lives in an area where there is no need to keep the heavy emergency equipment. Please, BE SAFE. Stay inside - we always have enough to eat - cans are easily opened with a hacksaw or a hatchet - cold food will nourish. JUT BE SAFE!

dizzyLiz
February 12th, 2014, 09:17 PM
7:12 and we still have power. Just talked to my niece who is with Dad. They just had dinner, and were getting ready to watch the olympics. Shannon has blankets, extra clothing, oxygen tanks, flas lights and her cell phone. Daddy says he feels much better, so Tamiflu is working. LOL he also says for me to quit worrying. When he calls me Lizzie Mae I know he is serious LOL. DH and I had a nice dinner. We are both on our computers for a little web time. I can hear the sleet hitting the windows. I think I will webb surf a bit then make us some hot chocolate. Stay warm and safe all.

Sharyn J
February 12th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Prayers out to all of you in the path of the storm. Coming from Chicago, we are quite used to blizzards and storms and usually our road crews are quite prepared. Fortunately, I'm retired and do not need to go out during bad weather, but I surely remember the years that I did need to get up early and hit the nasty roads!

No more snow expected for a few days, but the cold is almost unbearable! My brother stopped by today and when I asked him how cold it was outdoors, he replied that it actually felt warm above zero! Everyone, stay warm and safe!

sewbizzy
February 12th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Sending prayers your way Liz for you and yours...

Jean Sewing Machine
February 12th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Hope everyone is home safe, and little Cooper, stay where you are for a few more days!

K. McEuen
February 12th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Okay, since no one else has said it, I will ...

Mini Cooper needs to stay parked in the garage for a few more days. :D

aliaslaceygreen
February 12th, 2014, 10:36 PM
It is bad, for sure. They say we only will get 3-6 inches before it turns to sleet then ice and then, bye bye power.....or so we expect... Driving home from work tonight was interesting; there is this one road where the grade is so odd, that no one can get up it without a goodly number of tries....I am scheduled off tomorrow, so.... hope all stay warm and safe!

quiltingtrish
February 12th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I live about 30 minutes north of Hbg, PA - center of the state. Didn't hit here yet but about a foot or more is coming. Schools are already closed as are colleges, government offices, state of emergencies called, etc. We do have the equipment but it is so much easier if they keep people at home to clear the roads obviously. Katie is in N. Carolina on the coast and they are to get the ice - think they already got some of that last night. She said it wasn't pretty. We will have lots of shoveling tomorrow. Our long and wide driveway and we will do our neighbors. The gentleman went for a hip replacement on Tuesday and his wife is staying with a daughter. We'll keep their driveway open for them. Plus the other gal next door is single now and since her son is in the hospital with brain swelling from an accident (partying too much and fell off an 8 foot cliff), we will do our best to keep hers open. I suppose we will just go out and do what we can several times throughout the day to keep up with it. I don't think we will lose power but you never know. We always make sure we have a huge bucket filled with water beforehand to at least flush the toilets. Stay safe everyone and pile up those quilts for warmth if needed!

Hugs,

toggpine
February 12th, 2014, 11:18 PM
WARNING: I'm about to get snarky and sarcastic, followed by a sincere wish.

Why do they always find the rocket scientists to interview? (They do it here too.)
Some yokel from near Atlanta "We live 12 miles from the nearest store up in the woods, no neighbors, nuthin'. No power means no lights, no heat, no water. It could get real bad."
First, if you live that far from civilization you might want to make some preparations for the loss of power, even if it's NOT snow related.
While not being a full on Doomsday-Prepper, a manual can opener, flashlights, candles, and back up water are smart things to have. You can use your BBQ grill to cook a lot of things OUTSIDE. We lived off of one for 2 weeks on two separate occasions.
I guess if there wasn't any warning you might have a bit more sympathy from me. As a disaster responder I have been amazed at peoples lack of preparation for even the smallest problems.

It always seems that as soon as you are stuck at home is when you realize you had less milk that you thought and someone made a big pile of toast for breakfast (probably where the milk went). And well, you never want to be out of TP!
For all of my quilty friends in the path of this storm, I'm praying that you and your families can ride this out warm & safe.
Hugs! Cathy

PeggyM
February 12th, 2014, 11:44 PM
The snow has begun. Our office is closed tomorrow (we follow government closings), so all I have to worry about is shoveling. I have a manual can opener, gas stove (I can light the burners with a match, but not the oven), gas grill, instant coffee, gas boiler/steam radiator heat, gas hot water, and I can watch Netflix on my iPhone. If the power goes off, I should be fine. Sadly, I don't have a gas powered sewing machine. :(

Ginny B
February 13th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Well our snow should begin around 3 a.m. and we will see what the morning will bring. We are supposed to have snow, sleet, then some rain mid-day then back to snow until Friday morning. I'm hoping that my office closes so I can spend some time in the sewing room (hoping we don't lose power so I could do that). But we will see. We are ready. Got food, wood for the fireplace, lots of candles and flashlights and oil lamps too just in case. And, of course, a couple of quilts.

My brother and his wife live in Atlanta and I spoke with my sister-in-law earlier this evening. Pretty messy there but she still has power. My brother had to stay at work (again) so I figured I'd check on her. She is doing fine, has a fireplace to use if she needs to but hoping she doesn't.

Stay safe and warm everyone. Keep checking in here so we know how you are doing.

soul60s
February 13th, 2014, 01:03 AM
WARNING: I'm about to get snarky and sarcastic, followed by a sincere wish.

Why do they always find the rocket scientists to interview? (They do it here too.)
Some yokel from near Atlanta "We live 12 miles from the nearest store up in the woods, no neighbors, nuthin'. No power means no lights, no heat, no water. It could get real bad."
First, if you live that far from civilization you might want to make some preparations for the loss of power, even if it's NOT snow related.
While not being a full on Doomsday-Prepper, a manual can opener, flashlights, candles, and back up water are smart things to have. You can use your BBQ grill to cook a lot of things OUTSIDE. We lived off of one for 2 weeks on two separate occasions.
I guess if there wasn't any warning you might have a bit more sympathy from me. As a disaster responder I have been amazed at peoples lack of preparation for even the smallest problems.

It always seems that as soon as you are stuck at home is when you realize you had less milk that you thought and someone made a big pile of toast for breakfast (probably where the milk went). And well, you never want to be out of TP!
For all of my quilty friends in the path of this storm, I'm praying that you and your families can ride this out warm & safe.
Hugs! Cathy

We were 5 days without power a couple of years back which meant no water. Five days with no shower makes you rethink things. Went out and bought a generator. :icon_mooooh:

Genny
February 13th, 2014, 01:33 AM
The snow has begun. Our office is closed tomorrow (we follow government closings), so all I have to worry about is shoveling. I have a manual can opener, gas stove (I can light the burners with a match, but not the oven), gas grill, instant coffee, gas boiler/steam radiator heat, gas hot water, and I can watch Netflix on my iPhone. If the power goes off, I should be fine. Sadly, I don't have a gas powered sewing machine. :(

A treadle machine would sure be handy if you lost your power!

Pegger
February 13th, 2014, 02:57 AM
How did everyone make out?

Kelly F
February 13th, 2014, 02:58 AM
Checking in from Spotsylvania, Virgina. We are supposed to get from 8 inches to 24. Depends which one you want to follow. We still have power, but the winds are blowing. We are also expecting freezing rain and then more snow.

We are prepared as all get out. Lol. Chickens are cozy on the coop, locked in with a few bales of hay. All kitties and doggies inside snoozing. Extra buckets of water set aside for animals. Extra non-perishable food on hand. Trip to the liquor store complete ( kid and hubby will be home too.. Gotta be prepared).

Generator on stand by. And yes, quilting will be performed even if on a generator, because this chic has the deep freezer parked near the quilting area. So hubby has to make sure to keep that is plugged in right? And he can make sure I am up and running while he lounges in the recliner parked in front of the tv also near the quilting area. (Insert evil laugh).

We women are no dummies! We are naturally born as geniuses!

Best wishes to those others in this. And to you too across the pond Sheena.

maxwellthecat
February 13th, 2014, 03:11 AM
We are getting so much snow on top of the 6" that is already down. I am so sick of snow. Pray for me that the power doesn't go out. I am petrified of the dark. I know I act like a baby but, my brother used to throw me in the closet and was sitting in front of the door so I couldn't get out. I will be 58 next month and the fear never left me. Pray that we don't freeze to death first.

Everyone please stay safe and warm

toggpine
February 13th, 2014, 04:10 AM
We are getting so much snow on top of the 6" that is already down. I am so sick of snow. Pray for me that the power doesn't go out. I am petrified of the dark. I know I act like a baby but, my brother used to throw me in the closet and was sitting in front of the door so I couldn't get out. I will be 58 next month and the fear never left me. Pray that we don't freeze to death first.

Everyone please stay safe and warm
Lori,
I know they may seem lame, but next time you can, get some of those LED candles. Even the tealight size. I had thrown a couple of them in my bag use use as night lights in the bathrooms while on our girls trips. I HATE not being able to find the toilet in the middle of the night in a strange room. We had a huge windstorm and the power was out for nearly 8 hours. Those little dudes were pretty dang bright and they last for ever. I'm not traveling without them again!
They are nice because you can fall asleep with them on and not worry about burning something down. I'd check their brightness before you need them though to make sure you like them. My husband found some fun color-changing ones at Christmas.

MayinJerset
February 13th, 2014, 06:40 AM
It's 4:30am and it looks like wet snow or snowy rain out there, too dark to really tell.

DH and I did pick up some food yesterday but no panic shopping, we survived Hurricane Sandy with no power for a week and still had plenty of toilet paper. Knew people stocked up on milk, bread, snacks and videos but didn't know that toilet paper was considered a staple until I saw it myself. So many shopping carts with at least one 20+ pack of tp in them.

Carol336
February 13th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Can't tell how much is out there, right now it sure is pretty. It appears to be a sleety rain coming down right now. We still have power, and I'm gonna put a crock pot of split pea soup on soon, so the house will smell so yummy.

DH just announced that it looks like 6 to 8 inches accumulation, judging by the deck furniture.

Stay safe everyone.

Bubby
February 13th, 2014, 08:50 AM
I heard from our Ruby via pm this morning that they are getting hit hard but so far their power is still working. We pray that it stays on.

Bubby
February 13th, 2014, 09:51 AM
This is a bump up so we don't lose this thread.

HandsOffItsMine
February 13th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks Barb!

Morning check in. We have at least 4+ on the ground now, it looks beautiful. Very peaceful out here, we are lucky that we still have power and internet!

Don was notified no work 'till at least noon tomorrow. Matt will work from home tomorrow as well now.

I'm sure the dentist won't be open tomorrow either now, I will have to nurse this tooth longer. No fun but at least the Ultram is working and I still have a good number left.

Of all things, I'm out of contact solution! Don is going to brave the snow and walk to CVS. Maybe they will have some other goodies in the food department to pick from.

Hope everyone else still has power/heat and is safe!!!

Huggers from The Schmers/Stegers

Karena1984
February 13th, 2014, 10:03 AM
No idea how much is outside here! It started early this morning and it's not stopping anytime soon! Hoping to get my plow guy over here by tomorrow lol this was my driveway yesterday! Was very icy! Now it's white lol 68242

TRLSRL72
February 13th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Checking in from NC..... I am just south of Charlotte. We got around 5 inches of snow yesterday and sleet for about 4-6 hours. Most of it was light sleet thank goodness. Its 8:30 am and the snow has started again. Very thankful we still have power. Hope everyone is staying safe and keeping warm.

dizzyLiz
February 13th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Thank you all for your prayers. WE never lost power nor did my Dad. We have about a foot of snow on the ground and still getting flurries. This is unheard of in South Carolina. I cooked and cleaned all day yesterday. Didn't sleep well so I'
m going to take a hot bath and go back to bed...I see some sewing in my future this afternoon. Stay safe and warm all

Pandabear
February 13th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Storm - check! We got one.

So far about 6 inches of snow with more on the way. I'm hoping the weatherman is lying.

On a funny note... Little puppies with short legs hop like bunnies in the snow.

Ginny B
February 13th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Checking in here. My office is opened today but I decided that I just couldn't. DH and I went out early and shoveled and cleared the cars and he left for work. At that point it looked to be about 3-4" had fallen. I came back inside and within 40 minutes, we had an inch and a half back on the car and it just kept coming down and now it doesn't look like I even did anything out there. There is probably another 4" out there again . Then the plow came and plowed in my driveway. That's when I decided that I just couldn't get in. I don't have too far to go at all but I am no spring chicken and it just wasn't worth the hassle of trying to get to the office. I have a feeling that they will be closing early. They have changed the forecasted amount of snow for us. At first they said 3-6", now they say 6-12"

Power is still on, I've got some turkey soup that I had in the freezer ready to put into the crockpot and then Phoebe and Emma (the names of my sewing machines) are going to spend some quality time together. :)

I hope all of you down south are faring well.

SallyO'Sews
February 13th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Hope all is well with my Southern quilty friends!

Here in central Connecticut, there was less than an inch of snow when I got up at 7, so I came on into work, Last Thursday, I stayed home, as the plows didn't get to my street until after noon. Nobody in my office minds if we do that, but it did cost me a vacation day, and since I don't get too many of those, I didn't want to lose another one. But I'm thinking I'll leave early; they are saying that we will have over 6 inches by 3 p.m., at which point it will turn into sleet/freezing rain, and then BACK to snow overnight. Just hoping they plow my neighborhood today!

Stay safe, everyone!

EmmaB
February 13th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Been thinking of everyone getting pummeled by this crazy snow and ice. I hope to find that everyone at least still has their electricity!!!

Someone mentioned earlier about extra water for flushing toilets and whatnot. Made me think to mention "FILL UP YOUR BATHTUB". It may not be the "cleanest water" but would be good for flushing toilets and some other uses.

My thoughts are with everyone today!!

toggpine
February 13th, 2014, 12:50 PM
No snow in our corner, but the winds & rain are blowing through.
Until they installed the generators on the community wells out here, we used to loose water when the power went out. I have used the suntea jars with the spigots as hand washing stations at the bathroom sink.

Iris Girl
February 13th, 2014, 01:04 PM
We have a bout 4 on the ground now...hard to tell exact as its blowing. Everything closed ...state of emergency called up to 8 inches by nightfall with another up to 11 coming overnight....

Bubby
February 13th, 2014, 01:48 PM
This is a bump-up.

Doloris
February 13th, 2014, 03:10 PM
family scattered all along the storm path. Alabama--6-8" of snow, sunny and melting today
Lynchburg Va--- 6" or so, sunny and melting
Charleston WV---7" this morning and still snowing
Washington DC--- about a foot
Canton Ohio--- sunny and no extra snow. already about 6-10" on the ground.

PeggyM
February 13th, 2014, 03:17 PM
I had 13" before it started compressing. Boy is it heavy to shovel! My neighbor made me a deal: if I would find my newspaper under the snow, he would clean my driveway and sidewalk with his commercial strength snow blower. He ruined a machine once hitting a newspaper. Luckily, I don't get the newspaper. God bless him!!!

maxwellthecat
February 13th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Snow is changing to rain & ice. Tonight at 10:00 we are getting 1"- 3" more snow. Saturday and Tuesday we are getting more snow. What the hell is going on? They haven't mentioned how much we are going to get on Saturday and Tuesday. I guess It's too early to tell.

Everyone stay safe and keep warm. I am praying that everyone stays safe. They are saying if you don't have to go out, then don't.
There are accidents all over the highway. The news showed a picture of the highway, it's horrible. People had to get out of their cars and push their cars to the side.

Bubby
February 13th, 2014, 04:15 PM
This is a bump

Karena1984
February 13th, 2014, 04:21 PM
We have over a foot so far. This is somewhat funny! My poor cats are hopping like rabbits through it!!! This is a picture of my outdoor table and bench on my deck! 68269

This was taken a few hours ago! There's more now! It's crazy!

Ginny B
February 13th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Done shoveling. There was 9" out there in addition to the 4 we shoveled this morning. I think it is not doing anything out there right now but we may get 2-6" more tonight. I sure am tired and my right shoulder is hurting. DH sure has a lot of snow to clear off his car when he leaves work. I hope he went out at lunchtime and at least got it started.

It turned out that my company wound up closing at 10:30 this morning. Sure glad I didn't push myself to get my car out and get there. I would have had to turn around and come right back home.

Had a nice warm shower and then some lunch and then I just hung out on the couch for a while. I think I will head upstairs to the sewing room for a while. I hope everyone is doing ok

buckeyequilter
February 13th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Hoping everyone is getting through this ok! My brother lives in SC and one of his daughter lives in NC so they are posting pics on FB. I know, as of this morning, my brother had no power.

Oh and for those without power...if you have a grill...grilled pizza is not half bad.

Kelly F
February 13th, 2014, 06:03 PM
12 inches here last night. This is my puppy Loki begging for me to pick him up.. He is unsure about the snow. More snow coming! No problems so far.

Yay!

GinnyKNC
February 13th, 2014, 06:11 PM
The snow finally stopped! Tonight they said we might get a little but the concern is the ice when the temps drop tonight. It is pretty to look at :) And they suspended mail delivery which makes me think of the 'In rain, sleet, snow and hail' lol
This was looking out my upstairs window earlier this morning. Can you find the street lol. This was before the additional 3 inches.\

TRLSRL72
February 13th, 2014, 06:19 PM
The sun is out and shinning bright. The snow is melted on the main roads for the most part. Not all the side streets are clear. Tonight is suppose to be in the low 20's, worried about the black ice in the morning . Thank you to everyone for all your prayers. It means a lot. Please stay warm yourself.

PeggyM
February 13th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Driveway all cleared, and then the plow came and plowed me in. I raced to dig the snow boulders out before it starts to freeze. We're supposed to get another few inches. Oh, I just heard snow thunder!

Iris Girl
February 13th, 2014, 07:35 PM
freezing rain here now for the last hour. Snow thunder here also for tonight... can't be good... spring please?

Pandabear
February 13th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Started snowing again. Going to make popcorn and pop in a movie tonight. I've already claimed all three dogs as snuggle buddies on the couch. The guys will have to go without!

CraftyBarb
February 13th, 2014, 10:08 PM
We have thunder and lighting here now to, and more snow they say for tomorrow. Guess I will have to just sit and sew away.

Fabriclovr
February 13th, 2014, 10:52 PM
So sorry to hear about all the folks in the east. My daughter is in Goose Creek, SC and has no power, but she is in the Navy and can always go to the base to keep warm and find a hot meal, not everyone is so lucky. Her apartment is all electric, yikes. She went out to her truck to charge her cell phone and get warm today... wish I could send her my warm 82 degree weather!

Hope everyone has hand work to keep them busy while the power is off and stays nice and warm under all of their wonderful quilts!

WVGranny
February 13th, 2014, 10:56 PM
We have close to 20 inches, so far our power is good. The wind has gotten up , so drifting will be a problem I'm sure.

New York Sue
February 13th, 2014, 11:18 PM
This is my picnic table...

We just booked tickets for a 6 day vacation to Florida, in 3 weeks.

I gotta get out of here....

HandsomeRyan
February 13th, 2014, 11:32 PM
We braved 18" of snow, icy roads, and required a police escort for the final leg of the journey required a police escort but it was worth it to become a dad to this beautiful 8lb 2oz 21.5inch long little baby boy.

Welcome my little Blizzard Baby: Sawyer Ryan Cooper
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/SawerFirstPicHeart_zpseca89bc7.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/SawerFirstPicHeart_zpseca89bc7.jpg.html)

Madeforyouinma11
February 13th, 2014, 11:39 PM
Snowed earlier then rain, now it's a mix of both with some wind mixed in. No power problems yet. Supposed to change back to all snow for tomorrow. Then we still have Saturday and Tuesday. Not sure how much more is coming.
Hope everyone is staying safe!
CONGRATULATIONS RYAN!

New York Sue
February 13th, 2014, 11:53 PM
We braved 18" of snow, icy roads, and required a police escort for the final leg of the journey required a police escort but it was worth it to become a dad to this beautiful 8lb 2oz 21.5inch long little baby boy.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/SawerFirstPicHeart_zpseca89bc7.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/SawerFirstPicHeart_zpseca89bc7.jpg.html)

TOO CUTE!
Especially the heart. No need to give away the family secrets...
(And NO tubes! AWESOME. Maybe you can persuade the NICU nurses into an early release....)

Pandabear
February 14th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Congratulations! He is adorable.

HandsomeRyan
February 14th, 2014, 12:11 AM
TOO CUTE!
Especially the heart. No need to give away the family secrets...
(And NO tubes! AWESOME. Maybe you can persuade the NICU nurses into an early release....)

This was a pre-tubes shot. He's in the clink for at least 48 hours. :(
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/photobucket-4478-1392339083094_zps3b94d025.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/photobucket-4478-1392339083094_zps3b94d025.jpg.html)

Mpyles
February 14th, 2014, 12:18 AM

I see the resemblance!! He has your eyes!!

quiltingtrish
February 14th, 2014, 12:49 AM
I don't know how much snow we got - probably around 10". I wanted to take photos but was too busy shoveling out the driveways. Had off school, thank goodness, and have a 2 hour delay tomorrow. I guess I will have to get photos tomorrow. I think it is snowing again. I spent the rest of the day moving stuff around in the quilt room. Have lots more to organize but at least got a start on it. I hope they just close the school tomorrow cause I am wondering if I will be able to get out of bed. The snow wasn't heavy - just lots of it. Still have power - that's a good thing.

Hugs,

GinnyKNC
February 14th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Healthy baby boy :). Love the modesty :). Congrats Ryan and Tabatha. Welcome Sawyer. Hugs from a M* Gramma.

Iris Girl
February 14th, 2014, 06:38 AM
This is what I woke up to around 3am. 6833968340
Its still snowing here have no idea how much really, at least a foot. The trees are beautiful but heavy and drooping. Hoping for the power to stay with us.

EmmaB
February 14th, 2014, 08:12 AM
CONGRATS RYAN! He's just precious!

And that was a little sneaky announcing his arrival in this post. I was reading and just scrolling away and then BAM, your little cooper's picture. It was a pleasant surprise.

Bubby
February 14th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Bumping Up.

Bubby
February 14th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Bumping up

Bubby
February 14th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Bumping Up

Bubby
February 15th, 2014, 12:06 AM
Bumping Up

Poppytree
February 15th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Welcome Cooper and congratulations to all the family.

Storms here of a different kind

After 11 days of 110F and even more at 100+ we now have torrential rain to contend with - 4" in less than 24 hours. We had a leak in the roof which has seeped on to the kitchen ceiling and left nasty brown marks. Hopefully its fixed now as we are expecting more rain.

Its getting towards the end of the summer here but February is often the hottest month. We've broken loads of records this year. We've already had more than the whole total February average rainfall in 48 hours! At least our floods don't last long - unlike those back in the UK.

Madeforyouinma11
February 15th, 2014, 02:22 AM
Well, we are all set for another storm tomorrow into Sunday. They're saying 5-10" but we'll see. I don't trust them lately as we either get much more or much less than they predict. Will check I. Sunday to let you know what we really get.
Hope everyone is staying safe and warm.

aliaslaceygreen
February 16th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Oh look at Mr. February!!! Isn't he gorgeous!! Congrats!!!! (I go AWOL for a few days and the place is jumping with baby boys when I come back!!)