PDA

View Full Version : Our poor kitty!

dwil23
February 12th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Long story short - I had just gotten into bed and was watching the EB webinar last night when DD called me from the driveway. "Mom, I need you out here - Emmy is here and she's been hurt". It took a few seconds to register what she was saying. Emmy (Emmylou) has not been seen since just before New Years. Some renters down the street that had several cats left and we kind of figured they must have taken her with them.

Sure enough, it was her. Very thin, falling over, disoriented, acting blind and making a horrible noise. DD and sister rushed her to the E-vet. She was totally dehydrated so they started fluids. Ran blood work which came back looking pretty good considering. They left her overnight and the report this morning is that she has "improved considerably" and is not showing the symptoms of blindness that she was last night. The vet said severe dehydration could cause temporary blindness.

The house next door to us is vacant, but I saw the owner there yesterday. I'm thinking she must have somehow got inside when he was there last and escaped yesterday. I'm also more than upset if he saw her and left her like that! So...I'm off to pick her p and transfer her to our regular vet for the day and more fluids. Please say a little prayer that she recovers. Then we will have to figure out what to do with her. Let's just say she earned her right to be a outdoors cat, she used to be a housecat.

Monique
February 12th, 2014, 09:04 AM
I hope your kitty makes a full recovery.

Blondie
February 12th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Donna, that is so horrible. Prayers for you and Emmylou. I am one of those crazy wimmen that feed strays that hang around the Mall, behind stores, etc. Can't catch them, so I feed them. Poor Emmylou.

EmmaB
February 12th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Poor emmy! Hope she has a quick recovery.

Iris Girl
February 12th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Poor Emmy hope she makes a full recovery and gets to be an indoor kitty!

HandsOffItsMine
February 12th, 2014, 09:28 AM
(((Emmy))) I will pray for you sweetie pie. Maybe you don't want to be an outdoor kitty, you should be pampered, lay in a nice, soft basket covered with a quilty blanket made just for you by your mommy Donna. :)

Jean Sewing Machine
February 12th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Poor baby! Here's hoping she makes a quick and complete recovery. And take Ruby's advice, become an indoor cat, Emmylou!

Vonnie
February 12th, 2014, 09:41 AM
She's getting TCL right now so she will be fine. Animals are so adventurous! We have a large garage and every once in a while an animal will get trapped inside. Luckily it has never happened over an extended time. Your neighbor may not have known the cat was in there. I remember one morning I kept hearing a cat meowing and I just kept looking around and then heard a very loud meow and I opened up the door that led to the garage. There on the hood of DH's truck sat a black cat that glared at me. I opened up the garage door and it very quickly left! Your cat could have been in the garage and not have enough energy to meow and was luckily able to get home to you.

The worst offender was a bird. It took forever to get that bird out of there. I think robins are probably the dumbest birds ever.

Mpyles
February 12th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Aaawwww poor baby! This makes me soooo sad! Keep her inside....she will prolly never want out again...

Bubby
February 12th, 2014, 10:13 AM
This is so sad. Hopefully she will make a full recovery. My neighbor once went away for a long weekend and when she came home she discovered that her cat had been closed up inside a dresser drawer the whole time. Bootsy survived and lived to get revenge on the family. Hugs, Barb

ren29
February 12th, 2014, 10:20 AM
:( Poor kitty! Little kitty prayers that she pulls through and gets to enjoy lap time, pets, and toys for a long time to come.

PeggyM
February 12th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Oh, poor kitty. Hope she recovers quickly.

catmama635
February 12th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Poor Emmy! I hope she gets well soon and you can give her some extra special kitty-lovin'!

dwil23
February 12th, 2014, 11:44 AM
(((Emmy))) I will pray for you sweetie pie. Maybe you don't want to be an outdoor kitty, you should be pampered, lay in a nice, soft basket covered with a quilty blanket made just for you by your mommy Donna. :)

Thanks everyone for your prayers and good wishes! The vet I took her to this morning was surprised and said she had made "remarkable" progress overnight. He said when he read her chart that the E-vet sent him last night, he didn't have much hope for her, but this morning she has made a huge turn around! He is keeping her on fluids today and will do repeat blood work to make sure it is going in the right direction and probably send her home late afternoon.

He told me that cats are very different from people and dogs. We can live off of stored fat for a while, but cats don't metabolize stored fat as well and bad things start happening to them much sooner that it would a dog or human. I guess I'm safe for a very longggg time. She charmed the vet with all of her kitty kisses (she is a very affectionate little girl).

I will definitely make her a quilty blanket. We just have to have an understanding from her that she has learned through this experience to differentiate between the kitchen counters and her litter box. :icon_eek: And that is why she is an outdoor cat. Sorry to gross you out so early in the morning.

Thanks again!

dwil23
February 12th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Donna, that is so horrible. Prayers for you and Emmylou. I am one of those crazy wimmen that feed strays that hang around the Mall, behind stores, etc. Can't catch them, so I feed them. Poor Emmylou.

Nothing crazy 'bout that, Blondie! We have to look out for our little strays, too. I always worry about them when I hear about the bad weather like you are having now. I know they mostly survive it, but it still makes me sad. I know there are people in the same situation and I am saying a prayer for them, too.

bdmsmith
February 12th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Poor kitty...hopefully she was at least some place warm. Post a pic when she's feeling better.

Madeforyouinma11
February 12th, 2014, 02:57 PM
I will definitely make her a quilty blanket. We just have to have an understanding from her that she has learned through this experience to differentiate between the kitchen counters and her litter box. :icon_eek: And that is why she is an outdoor cat. Sorry to gross you out so early in the morning.

Thanks again!
Oh, I can understand now how she became an outdoor cat...LOL
Cats don't like citrus...maybe you can wipe the counters down with something that has a citrus scent to it. Also, try using a different kitty litter, it may be that.

Simply Quilting
February 12th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Glad to hear that she is doing much better today. I can understand why she became an outdoor cat. You might try putting aluminum foil or bubblewrap on the counters. They don't like jumping on those things.

WendyI
February 12th, 2014, 04:45 PM
glad to see she's on the mend...poor wee kitty! If only they could talk huh?

Hulamoon
February 12th, 2014, 05:11 PM
So glad she is feeling better! I agree with Cil on the citrus spray. That stuff is great. For dogs too for chewing.

When I was in high school our Siamese went missing for a long time. Then one day he was meowing really loud outside. I called my mom at work and I said mom 'listen'. She's like oh my god thank heavens. Wait, what are you doing home from school?!! lol

Wwena
February 12th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Ack, I hope she makes a full recovery!!

Sheena
February 12th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Glad to hear she's making a good recovery.