PDA

View Full Version : Might be a silly question

Julie Tweed
February 11th, 2014, 08:25 PM
But here goes anyways..:-)

Can someone with shingles trigger it in someone else?

I know it can cause chicken pox in anyone who hasn't had it before....but what about ones who've had it.....a few years ago in my work someone had shingles and then two more got it....

Someone has it now and I was wondering if being exposed would cause it to come out ...or is that not possible.

Cheers
:-)
J

Kgrammiecaz
February 11th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I had a severe case of shingles 3 and a half years ago. It is my understanding, as you mentioned, the only people at risk are those who have not had chicken pox. If you have had chicken pox, you have the virus dormant in your system. Being around someone with shingles does not mean you will catch it. There are several reasons the virus comes out but not by exposure. At least that is my understanding. I would not mind being corrected if. I am mis-stating

Claire Hallman
February 11th, 2014, 08:52 PM
My aunts doctor told her that her shingles were contagious. I would advise not to rub up against them just in case.

EnumclawGramma
February 11th, 2014, 09:08 PM
When I had them my doctor told me I was ONLY contagious to people who had never had chicken pox, or a severe enough case of chicken pox to develop immunities, and then I was ONLY contagious (and this is a wee bit gross) when your shingles are popping and yucky. When they crust over....you're not.

EnumclawGramma
February 11th, 2014, 09:09 PM
It also seems to me there is almost a time of year when it's really common. And for sure it's WAY more common now that it used to be.

bellasnanny247
February 11th, 2014, 09:31 PM
from web-md:

You can't catch shingles from someone else who has shingles. But there is a small chance that a person with a shingles rash can spread the virus to another person who hasn't had chickenpox and who hasn't gotten the chickenpox vaccine

The article also stated that it usually occurs in older people-however......my son developed a case of shingles when he was about 14(he's 29 now). And thinking back, when he was born, he ended up contracting impetigo in the hospital--so perhaps his immune system has been somewhat compromised for most of his childhood?? (he had so many cases of strep throat that he finally got his tonsils out last year).

soul60s
February 11th, 2014, 09:32 PM
When I had them my doctor told me I was ONLY contagious to people who had never had chicken pox, or a severe enough case of chicken pox to develop immunities, and then I was ONLY contagious (and this is a wee bit gross) when your shingles are popping and yucky. When they crust over....you're not.

There is a commercial on TV that says if you had chicken pox then the shingle virus is already in you.

soul60s
February 11th, 2014, 09:35 PM
My aunts doctor told her that her shingles were contagious. I would advise not to rub up against them just in case.

I know that my sister worked in a nursing home and there was a huge breakout there. It was not the first time either. What's the chance that that many people didn't have chicken pox as a child? Also there is a commercial that says if you had chicken pox then the shingles virus is already in you and you have a greater risk of getting it.

bubba
February 11th, 2014, 09:56 PM
You can catch shingles from another person. A girl I work with got it from her roommate.

K. McEuen
February 11th, 2014, 09:58 PM
They are only contagious to someone who has not previously had chicken pox.

Often shingles break out during stressful times. I wonder what was going on at work that so many people broke out at the same time unless they never had chicken pox.

lilmouse
February 11th, 2014, 10:16 PM
My understanding was that it could be passed on if someone rubbed up against the rash or never had the chicken pox...I have a bad case of it and I stayed home from work until the rash was healed...(I am a waitress)..,my doctor stated I had the worst case she had ever seen of the shingles and I am still suffering from the nerve pain and it has been over 6 months since the initial breakout of the rash...no new rash either....but the pain remains and isn't easy to treat!

EnumclawGramma
February 11th, 2014, 10:29 PM
I am starting a job as a volunteer at our local hospital. One of the blood tests you have to have is to see if you have sufficient chicken pox immunities in you. This is even if you've HAD chicken pox. Maybe if you don't you're more apt to get shingles?

soul60s
February 11th, 2014, 11:23 PM
They are only contagious to someone who has not previously had chicken pox.

Often shingles break out during stressful times. I wonder what was going on at work that so many people broke out at the same time unless they never had chicken pox.

I don't know but half a nursing home gets it, including staff and it makes you wonder. Board of health had been called once before because of it.

Ahamblin
February 12th, 2014, 12:00 AM
I have come down with shingles twice. Kind of unusual but not unheard of. You can only come down with shingles if you have either had chicken pox or the live chicken pox vaccination. The shingles vaccine is not a guarantee that you will not develop it but may lessen the severity.

"Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, the virus that causes shingles, the varicella zoster virus, can be spread from a person with active shingles to a person who has never had chickenpox. In such cases, the person exposed to the virus might develop chickenpox, but they would not develop shingles. The virus is spread through direct contact with fluid from the rash blisters, not through sneezing, coughing or casual contact.

A person with shingles can spread the virus when the rash is in the blister-phase. A person is not infectious before blisters appear. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer contagious.

Shingles is less contagious than chickenpox and the risk of a person with shingles spreading the virus is low if the rash is covered."

Hope this helps.
Ann

JCY
February 12th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Per the NIH web site, shingles are contagious with direct contact with the rash when it's in the blister phase. Lots of info. on the web. Just google Shingles or Are Shingles Contagious? My uncle got shingles when he was exposed to a neighbor child who had chicken pox. His immune system was weakened from cancer. My husb. had shingles a few yrs. ago. on his lower back. Some of the worst pain he ever had, & the post neuropathic pain persisted for a long time. JCY

Kgrammiecaz
February 12th, 2014, 12:21 AM
I have come down with shingles twice. Kind of unusual but not unheard of. You can only come down with shingles if you have either had chicken pox or the live chicken pox vaccination. The shingles vaccine is not a guarantee that you will not develop it but may lessen the severity.

"Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, the virus that causes shingles, the varicella zoster virus, can be spread from a person with active shingles to a person who has never had chickenpox. In such cases, the person exposed to the virus might develop chickenpox, but they would not develop shingles. The virus is spread through direct contact with fluid from the rash blisters, not through sneezing, coughing or casual contact.

A person with shingles can spread the virus when the rash is in the blister-phase. A person is not infectious before blisters appear. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer contagious.

Shingles is less contagious than chickenpox and the risk of a person with shingles spreading the virus is low if the rash is covered."

Hope this helps.
Ann

Perfectly stated. We were all saying it, but not very well and all in one spot

A nursing home is mostly the elderly or all elderly. If you have a compromised immunity system, which many of the elderly do, it is much easier for thr virus to emerge.

We cant get the vaccine until after age 60 and it is only recently that it has been so widely publicized to make people aware

I was 56 when I developed pneumonia. I already have a crappy immunity system, so sick with pneumonia, the virus kicked my butt. I ended up in the hospital where I then contracted MRSA in my shingles lesions in two places.

This created a mess. I ended up having surgery to remove more than a fistfull of my body - yuk. 10 days in hospital, 3 months home with a vac on to close my huge wounds and now almost 4 years later I am still on pain meds 24 x7 and I get pain shots in my back. This is on top of fibro nerve pain. It is not pretty.

I may never rid myself of this crap but I learning to live with it. Gotta keep positive. This is one major reason I needed a new craft. Quilting keeps me sane. This forum keeps me sane. Keeps me from focusing on it

I write this all for one reason. To say to everyone this is a serious subject and to please if you are over 60 get the vaccine. The pain when it first comes on is 10 times worse than childbirth. I actually felt like I was being electrocuted when the nerve flared. My daughter is an RN and could not believe how bad it could be. I have no description. All I wanted was to have the pain go away.

I need strength and understanding from those around me. No sympathy. I am a big baby and sympathy is bad for me lol.

Sorry so long, I just felt compelled to say it all. Thank you wonderful ladies and gentlemen for listening. I truly appreciate.

Mimis-quilts
February 12th, 2014, 12:22 AM
I concur with Ann...you don't "catch" shingles. The dormant chicken pox virus that is in the body comes out of it's dormant state and causes the shingles break-out. It's only contagious to those that have never had chickenpox...

redcaboose1717
February 12th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Really...??? Hmmm.... my BFF had shingle 18 months ago, ( or so she said ) ....and didn't come to my wedding.....She told me to "stay away" from her, cuz she thought it was contagious.....which later made me wonder ( I wasn't that curious to check it out, but it did hurt my feelings that she didn't attend the wedding )
It's strange how some people get shingles ( who have had the chicken pox ) and others don't. I had chicken pox at age 2 yrs....

Has anyone had the vaccine for the Chicken Pox ? Just curious !

( I was under the understanding that there's a contagious period......at least that's what my BFF told me at the time ??? ) I don't know really, never checked it out.)

redcaboose1717
February 12th, 2014, 01:19 AM
I went to the CDC website....this is what info I found.....
CDC - Chickenpox Transmission - Varicella (http://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/about/transmission.html)

K. McEuen
February 12th, 2014, 01:26 AM
I went to the CDC website....this is what info I found.....
CDC - Chickenpox Transmission - Varicella (http://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/about/transmission.html)

A person with shingles can spread the virus to others who have never had chickenpox or received the chickenpox vaccine. In these cases, the exposed person might develop chickenpox. from the CDC site.

It is ONLY contagious to those who haven't had chicken pox or the CP vaccine, They can catch chicken pox not shingles.

auntiemern
February 12th, 2014, 02:24 AM
I have to agree with Karen. They are only contagious to someone that has never had chickenpox. That person will get chicken pox not shingles. Two very different rashes. Shingles is VERY painful, and will not be all over your body. Stress does seem to be factor in getting them.

redcaboose1717
February 12th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Karen thanks....I didn't mean to imply that you could catch shingles if you had not had chicken pox. YOU are only contagious to those who have NOT had Chicken Pox......Again, it is only contagious to those who haven't had chicken pox or the CP vaccine, as they can catch chicken pox and NOT shingles.....I stand corrected....Sorry !

snippet
February 12th, 2014, 08:57 AM
My son had chicken pox twice. The first time he was just a baby and caught it when my daughter had chicken pox, but he didn't get it very much like she did. Then when it broke out at his daycare a few years later, I thought he would be immune but he got it again and had blisters everywhere.

Jacqueline: keeping away from public events like a wedding is a smart thing to do when you have the shingles. You never know who might not have had chicken pox and could catch it. Besides, she probably looked horrible with blisters and scabs and didn't want to be seen.

Weakened immune systems are really susceptible for shingles too. It's really painful and for some it never goes away. I had one friend that had constant outbreaks.

Julie Tweed
February 12th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the response....much more than I thought...lol

It was as I figured...but it was an odd thing with 3 people in the same job getting it at the same time...it was definitely all of them had shingles...not a case of one with shingles giving the others chicken pox...

Cheers
J

Bubby
February 12th, 2014, 06:33 PM
I had a severe case of chickenpox the year I was 16. It really knocked me low and I was absolutely covered from head to toes with pox. After I gave birth to my first daughter I came down with a mild case of Shingles and I can still remember the misery. Last March I consented to get a Shingles vaccination. I had a severe reaction to it and almost had to be hospitalized. I think the vaccinations are good, but I had taken a round of Prednisone along with antibiotics for pneumonia a month or so before the vaccination and it reacted with the Pred that must still have been in my system. It is not recommended that you get a shingles vaccination if you take steroids on a regular basis.

Kgrammiecaz
February 12th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Barb. That is good information to know. I am happy that I will be able to get the vaccine this year -I turn 60 in April. This way even if I get it again it is supposed to be less severe. I have high anxiety everytime I have any feeling like it was then

Blessing to all those who have had to deal with it. Even the men. We all need the blessing!!! My dad has it recurring in his face. Its ugly pain.

lilmouse
February 12th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Perfectly stated. We were all saying it, but not very well and all in one spot

A nursing home is mostly the elderly or all elderly. If you have a compromised immunity system, which many of the elderly do, it is much easier for thr virus to emerge.

We cant get the vaccine until after age 60 and it is only recently that it has been so widely publicized to make people aware

I was 56 when I developed pneumonia. I already have a crappy immunity system, so sick with pneumonia, the virus kicked my butt. I ended up in the hospital where I then contracted MRSA in my shingles lesions in two places.

This created a mess. I ended up having surgery to remove more than a fistfull of my body - yuk. 10 days in hospital, 3 months home with a vac on to close my huge wounds and now almost 4 years later I am still on pain meds 24 x7 and I get pain shots in my back. This is on top of fibro nerve pain. It is not pretty.

I may never rid myself of this crap but I learning to live with it. Gotta keep positive. This is one major reason I needed a new craft. Quilting keeps me sane. This forum keeps me sane. Keeps me from focusing on it

I write this all for one reason. To say to everyone this is a serious subject and to please if you are over 60 get the vaccine. The pain when it first comes on is 10 times worse than childbirth. I actually felt like I was being electrocuted when the nerve flared. My daughter is an RN and could not believe how bad it could be. I have no description. All I wanted was to have the pain go away.

I need strength and understanding from those around me. No sympathy. I am a big baby and sympathy is bad for me lol.

Sorry so long, I just felt compelled to say it all. Thank you wonderful ladies and gentlemen for listening. I truly appreciate.

I can relate to the pain end of it with no end in sight as I am sensitive to most medicines...just am now going off of Lyrica because it is knocking me out....walk around in a fog and am suffering with anxiety now.....is there an end in sight...I have been dealing with mine since early August or late July

Kgrammiecaz
February 12th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I could not handle lyrica, so I hear you about that. I had the doctor switch me and I now take cymbalta 60mg twice a day and meloxicam 15mg. These are working pretty good. I take a lot of tramadol because of the postherpetic neuralgia pain

You are very right about the fog. I dont have that now taking cymbalta. I cant seem to get rid of anxiety. It has lessoned but not gone

I keep hoping for an end, but at almost 4 years, its hard to think its coming

Annette Ackley
February 12th, 2014, 11:48 PM
My DS, has the shingles. He says it is really painful. The Dr. said that there wasn't really anything he could do for him. Just let it run its course. He did give him some pain medicine. But, DS, said it didn't help. Plus he was running a fever. When he was in Kindergarten, all his classmates had the chicken pox.