PDA

View Full Version : New Vent

cindyinohio
February 10th, 2014, 03:44 PM
So I'm in severe pain from either a gallbladder or gastric reflux (thinkin' it's gallbladder). Went to Dr last week and she ordered an Upper GI and appt with surgeon for scope. Can't sleep more than two hours with out spasms . Pulled a STUPID last nite and ate pork chop..won't do that again!!!
So haven't heard when tests are so I called DR. Was told they haven't been scheduled yet because "The nurse that does that wasn't here last week" AAAHHH!!!
That's how it was at my old office,,if I wasn't there to do it it didn't get done!!!! But this office has about three nurses. Being frustrated doesn't help my pain either!!!

auntiemern
February 10th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Two words. Bland diet. Maybe that will get it settled down. Not fun I know, but been there, done that.

MRoy
February 10th, 2014, 04:06 PM
If you've had gallbladder problems in the past don't let them put you off very long before getting it checked. When DH was having attacks, he kept putting off going to the doctor. He ended up in the hospital for a week getting IV antibiotics around the clock following major surgery to remove his gall bladder. Gangrene had started in his gallbladder while he postponed going to the doctor.

Bubby
February 10th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Please eat a bland diet. My gallbladder ruptured the day before I was scheduled for surgery and I ended up spending 3 months in the hospital in the Critical Care Unit. I would hate to see that happen to you. Thankfully there is a much easier way to have your gallbladder removed now. My DD had the new procedure and she was back to work in just two weeks. You have my thoughts and prayers.

cindyinohio
February 10th, 2014, 04:17 PM
If you've had gallbladder problems in the past don't let them put you off very long before getting it checked. When DH was having attacks, he kept putting off going to the doctor. He ended up in the hospital for a week getting IV antibiotics around the clock following major surgery to remove his gall bladder. Gangrene had started in his gallbladder while he postponed going to the doctor.
I have had gastric problems for years. Two yrs ago I had a gallbladder scan that came out negative. But I have heard sometimes the lining gets scarred and thick and stones don't show..or it could be just inflamed.

New York Sue
February 10th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Jeez, that's pathetic! I'd have a word with the doctor. Her office staff is not exactly making her shine...
Meanwhile, AVOID any fat in your diet. And go to the ER, if need be!

K. McEuen
February 10th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast (dry)

Follow the BRAT diet for some relief until you can get it checked out. I remember my aunt thinking she was going to die after she ate some sausage when her gallbladder was acting up.

madampolo
February 10th, 2014, 05:24 PM
My goodness! I never knew gallbladders can cause such problems. Hopefully, your scan will determine the proper course of action in the future.

Lilly
February 10th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I have had gastric problems for years. Two yrs ago I had a gallbladder scan that came out negative. But I have heard sometimes the lining gets scarred and thick and stones don't show..or it could be just inflamed.
DD had a negative scan and later had her's out with an emergency surgery. Some gall bladder disease is caused by stones and some is caused by what her doc called "sludge" - small stones they don't catch on a CT scan very well. By the time they took out her gall bladder more than 1/2 of her gall bladder had atrophied. Poor kid was anorexic and the dietician thought the pain was all in her mind when DD said that eating fat hurt her stomach. And good mother that I am - I agreed with the doc instead of listening to my DD- I almost didn't get her to the emergency room in time. Put that one in the "regrets" column.

Do press forward and insist on getting this taken care of. It is very serious.

RoseMA
February 10th, 2014, 08:10 PM
68063Its no fun being in relative constant pain. While its no comparison, I've had issues with my feet for years. Now it seems I don't go a day without some measure of pain although mostly (thank goodness) its usually not much more than uncomfortable. On bad days I just want to stop everything and cry.
I hope you get answers soon and are quickly on the mend.
:)

Annette Ackley
February 10th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I'd go to the ER if the pain gets that bad for you to handle. Please don't wait. I lost my Dad because of not going to the Dr. He always thought the Chiropractor always helped his back. Here he had Gall Stones. From there it turned into cancer. Needless to say we lost him.

Simply Quilting
February 10th, 2014, 10:03 PM
If they don't find anything but you are still in pain, please have them do a blood test that checks for how well your gallbladder is working. This was what my husband's and my brother's problem was. Both of the men had gallbladders that were not working. Dhs was at 14% and my brother's was at 7%. My husband's first surgeon said everything was just fine but I had our doctor run the blood test and another surgeon quickly removed the gallbladder.

As far as diet, I had to stay away from milk and bananas both set it off big time. Also after the surgery, continue to avoid any foods that would have set your gallbladder off. I landed back in the ER from eating banana.

Mimis-quilts
February 10th, 2014, 11:52 PM
It's called biliary dyskinesia. It is where the gallbladder has lost its ability to function. The gallbladder secretes bile, which is what breaks down fat in the digestive tract. That is why eating fatty foods causes pain, because you don't have the bile to break it down. Having a lap chole is a relatively simple surgery and most people don't even spend the night in the hospital. Now, when people ignore symptoms and put off going to the doctor, problems can arise. Bland diet until you can get an ultrasound of the gall bladder done or a scan to check the function of the gallbladder. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

If they don't find anything but you are still in pain, please have them do a blood test that checks for how well your gallbladder is working. This was what my husband's and my brother's problem was. Both of the men had gallbladders that were not working. Dhs was at 14% and my brother's was at 7%. My husband's first surgeon said everything was just fine but I had our doctor run the blood test and another surgeon quickly removed the gallbladder.

As far as diet, I had to stay away from milk and bananas both set it off big time. Also after the surgery, continue to avoid any foods that would have set your gallbladder off. I landed back in the ER from eating banana.

ilive2craft2
February 11th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Hope you get in and they figure out what it is and you get relief soon! My mom had gallbladder issues and finally had it removed. Between her gall bladder, her hiatal hernia and her heart issues, we never were sure which thing was causing the pain. Will keep you in my prayers.

PeggyM
February 11th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Hope you feel better soon!

Vonnie
February 11th, 2014, 09:45 AM
I had the laser surgery and was in the hospital for about 4 hours. This was 3 1/2 years ago. They did four small incisions and used tiny cameras.

I thought I was having severe acid reflux and the first test for gallbladder came back negative. Doctor asked if I wanted to proceed or wait and I told him there was something wrong with me. He ordered the test where you are hooked up to an IV and a machine kept taking pictures and watching how my gallbladder was performing. It was performing at 18 percent. No gallstones and no sludge but it was gallbladder disease.

I had a hysterectomy 2 years before that and a friend of mine said she read that about 40 percent have to have their gallbladders removed within 2 years of a hysterectomy. Don't know if that's a myth or if the body is severely traumatized by surgery.

But, I do know that everything I ate caused discomfort/pain. And I was told that high fiber foods were not a good idea.

So stay away from high fat, high fiber foods.

Also, keep at them and make sure they get you in soon.

Best of luck to you.

GrammaBabs
February 11th, 2014, 11:24 AM
this sure does bring up the issues we all have,, mine was emergency bowel intersucception (sp),, but they saved my life.. I was the one that always put it off.. my DF has a saying, be your own "advocate" meaning.. be a PITA,, and don't stop til' you get help.. I hear you about, if you don't do it won't get done,, that was "my job" as well..LOL,, of course it doesn't help with your issue.. good luck GF.. hang in there... hugs, B

Precious1
February 11th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Please be insistent. Even if the sonogram or scan doesn't show any stones, if you are displaying the signs, Please be insistent!! I suffered for years did all of the testing and results were always negative to gallstones. I moved and had such a severe attach I ended up going to the ER. Was referred to a surgeon. Older DR. He said, even told me, even though your results are all negative, you are a textbook case for a gallstones so I'm going to recommend surgery. After surgery, my gallbladder was sent to the lab and the pathologist report indicated I had multiple stones. The Dr said I had a lot of them and very tiny.

I hope you feel better.