PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you with grand-babies...

HandsomeRyan
February 9th, 2014, 06:17 AM
What do your grandchildren call you?

When I was growing up I had my dad's parent who we called Mamaw and Papaw which I believe is not an uncommon name for grandparents in the south-eastern US (this was TN). Then I had my mom's parents who were Grandma and Grandpa. It was convenient to have different names for them so we never had to differentiate which grandparent we were talking about.

My wife's sister already has a baby and although she isn't old enough to talk yet I think she will call my wife's parents (and my son's maternal grandparents) Grandma and Grandpa. I know my F-i-L doesn't like "grandpa" so my son will call him "Sweet T" (His name is Tom).

I think my mom, for whom my son is the first grand-baby, will be called Nana.

Just curious what others go by?

dwil23
February 9th, 2014, 06:23 AM
I'm known as "Grammy" and he will call his maternal grandmother "Grandma".

Kgrammiecaz
February 9th, 2014, 06:35 AM
I picked to be called Grammie and she calls my exhusband Grandpa. She has never met her dads parents, they live elsewhere and her father does not spend time with them. Strange situation

I think a lot is tied to some family traditions as well My mom is nana to all the kids. My younger sister decided to use nana as well. Its funny sometimes when the kids say nana at my mothers and both my sister and mother answer.

Lonna
February 9th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Both my Grandsons call me Nana they called my husband Grandpa Wayne.

Marki
February 9th, 2014, 07:01 AM
The grandchildren and great-grandchildren call me Nanny and call by husband Ba.

Cathy F
February 9th, 2014, 08:17 AM
My grandchildren call me grammy and my husband papa.

Patrice
February 9th, 2014, 08:23 AM
We are Grammie and PopPop

KathyCrofoot
February 9th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I'm not a grandmother yet, but here's the family list:

My great-grandmother on my mother's side was Mamaw - I never met her but that's what my mom called her all her life.
My great-grandfather on my mother's side was Papaw - same as above.

When I think of my grandparents - it's my mother's folks: Nana and Papaw. My son has 2 grandmas, a grandpa and a Pop-Pop. He's a lucky guy, they're all still living!

When I become a grandmother, I think I want to be called Nona, but that may change.

We left it up to the grandparents to be to decide what they wanted to be called.

Vonnie
February 9th, 2014, 09:05 AM
We don't have grands yet.

The kids call my DH's parents Grandma and Grandpa. My Aunt and Uncle were called Nanna and Poppo by their grandkids.

My oldlest brother grandsons have four sets of grandparents instead of two (divorces) so I asked my ex-sis-in-law how the kids kept it straight. She said Grandma + first name and Grandpa + first name.

But the neatest name is my youngest brother's - his granddaughters call him Poppie.

Sewflower
February 9th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I'm called MeMe and my husband Pepaw.
In my family we have: Mamoo, Mema, Grandmother, and Gangow
Granddad, Granddaddy, Pop pop, D Dad, and Papaw

PeggyM
February 9th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I'm Granny. The other side of the family are Grandma and Pop Pop.

CountryHut
February 9th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Hubby and I are -- Grammie and Pappy Joe
my parents are/were -- Mom mom and Pop Pop
my grandparents -- Grandma + last name and Grandpop + last name

Monique
February 9th, 2014, 10:19 AM
My granddaughter calls me "E", we don't know where that came from, and my husband is Poppa.

MRoy
February 9th, 2014, 10:20 AM
I'm Nanni and DH is Papaw. Their other grandmother is Mamaw and their grandfather (now deceased) was Papaw Chuck.

dhubert
February 9th, 2014, 10:28 AM
When our first granddaughter was born we told our son we didn't really feel like Grandma and Grandpa so he chose DiDi and Pops and it fits us. We now have another new addition - a grandson who is a month old today!

twnkeyes
February 9th, 2014, 10:31 AM
We call ourselves Grammie & Grandad but when our Ivy, who is is 16 months old, can talk I'll let her decide if that's what she wants to call me. My mom, her great-g'ma we call GG. My husband wants to still be called Grandad which is what his dad was called when he was alive. He wants to honor him.

Terri

SandyWhite
February 9th, 2014, 10:35 AM
My grandchildren call me Babadeedee. My oldest grandchild started it and it stuck. Sometimes the children pick the name.

yeeehawterri
February 9th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I'm Mimi to the oldest and and MomMi to the youngest (not to be confused with Mommie, it's said different.). Ex husband is Pawpaw the other grandfather is deceased. My mother is called Granny, as was one of my grandmothers, and my other set of grandparents, in Tennessee fashion, were MaMaw and PaPaw.

Bubby
February 9th, 2014, 10:43 AM
My grands call me Bubby, which means Grandma in Yiddish and Polish. We are neither Hebrew nor Polish, but that's the name they came up with. This is my forum name also. We live in a tiny town and when my DGD writes to me she addresses the envelope to Bubby Oaker, Licking, Missouri and I get it every time.....another nice thing about small town living!

New York Sue
February 9th, 2014, 10:53 AM
My Dad was 'Gramps' and my Mom was 'Mae'. DH's Dad was 'Poppy' and his Mom, Nanna.
We are known as 'Mitzy' and 'Poppy'.
It didn't feel right to use the names of the past, and Mitzy sounded perky to me...
;)

paandrus
February 9th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Meemaw and Meemaw. She's 2.

shermur
February 9th, 2014, 11:38 AM
My two step-grandsons call me Missouri Grandma!

Genny
February 9th, 2014, 11:42 AM
We are called Grandma and Papa

quiltingtrish
February 9th, 2014, 11:58 AM
My older sister couldn't say Grandpa - it came out Pada and it stuck. Everyone knew who we were talking about when we mentioned his name., My father is Grampee (the kids spelled it that way) and it stuck. My grandparents were known as Grammie and Grandma.
See if your kids chose the name. I think that makes it more special.

Hugs,

bubba
February 9th, 2014, 12:02 PM
When we had our kids, our oldest daughter was the first grandchild for my husbands parents. Because my mom was already and established grandma, and there was no grandpa around, they called his parents granny and grandpa. My mother in law loved that! When I became a grandma, that is what I was called. However, Tyler took it upon himself to call us mamaw and bampa. Once he was older, it went back to grandma/grandpa.

Tyler is seven years older than the next batch of grandchildren. Mel, who is the third grandchild is hearing impaired. She thought grandma sounded like bunga, which is what I am called now by the younger ones, and she called Monkeyman Rog. The others call him boppa. Now that her and her sisters are getting older, it is back to the norm, but Ashtyn, Tyler's brother, still calls us bunga and boppa, I think because he already has a grandma and grandpa he sees often.

My grandkids call my mom GG for great grandma.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 9th, 2014, 12:04 PM
My one set of grandkids call me Grammie or Grandma. My husband passed away shortly after the grandson learned to talk, in his cute toddler talk, he called him Carpaw! We loved that name!

MayinJerset
February 9th, 2014, 12:19 PM
We've been Grandma and Grandpa to all of our grandkids, don't know what the great grands will call us as one is an infant and the older one doesn't see us enough to remember us.

My kids also used Grandma and Grandpa until DS#1 didn't know which grandmother we were going to visit, to, he asked "to Grandma Annie's or Grandma Millie's?' After that he and his brothers referred to their grandparents as Grandma or pa plus their first name.

My grandfather was still alive when my older sons were very young and they called him Little Grandpa because he was slight of build and not very tall. When was growing up all the kids in our neighborhood called my grandfather Grandpa.

GGMae
February 9th, 2014, 12:37 PM
We are G-G & Granddad, but the oldest (7) started call me Geeg. The others r call me that & my grown kids r catching on. :icon_wave:

mspepper
February 9th, 2014, 12:38 PM
My granddaughters both called me Mama to begin, as they got older I became Grandma Sowers. They also have a Grandma Dorothy. Their great grandmothers and great great grandmother they just call Grandma, cause there are so many.

sewbizzy
February 9th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I am Grandma and my dh is Pap---

quiltsRfun
February 9th, 2014, 01:11 PM
We're grandma and grandpa to all four of our grand kids. DD#1's kids call their paternal grandmother Oma. Grandfather is Grandpa [last name]. DD#2's kids call their paternal grandmother Abuela. Their grandfather is deceased. The only great-grandparents still living are my parents and they're Granny and Gramps.

Madeforyouinma11
February 9th, 2014, 01:26 PM
My grandaughter can't talk yet, but she will call my SIL' s father and his wife Nana and Papa...my SIL's mother and her husband will be Grandma and Grandpa....me and my hubby will be Mémé and Pépé ( the "e's are short). I am French and that is what we always called our grandparents and my hubby has enough french in him that it fits. My ex husband, had he lived, would have been VooVoo ( o's are short) because he was Portuguese and that's what he called his grandfather.
I'm sure ultimately it will be whatever she calls us but if it's close to our starting point, we'll at least know who she's talking to/about.

Claire Hallman
February 9th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Our grand daughter isn't talking yet but I hope she comes up with her own name for us. My DIL wants us to be Grandma Claire and Grandpa Al. The other grands will be Grandma Barbara and Grandpa Pat. I like grandad better.
We shall see what happens.:icon_wave:

K. McEuen
February 9th, 2014, 02:04 PM
No grandkids here, but my daughter called my parents Sweetie and Papa and hubby's parents were Grandmother (because that is what the monster in law insisted on) and Grandpa.

Pandabear
February 9th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I'm not a grandma, but I had grandparents so. ..

We called ours Grandma and Poppa. By the time my son was born, my grandma was the only grandparent living. She became Nana to my son.

grannyann
February 9th, 2014, 02:30 PM
My grand kids call me Grandma and the great grands call me Grandma Ann but my two oldest children call theirs Nana

redcaboose1717
February 9th, 2014, 02:52 PM
My daughter married a man with a young child who was 7 at the time they married. My DD husband's family....isn't the type to want to be associated with anything "OLD"( their comment not mine ) ....and so when they married, we told this little guy ( he is 18 now ) that he could call us whatever he wanted...and he said " Can I call you Grandma & Grandpa ? " We said, sure.....and he was so happy !!!
Once when he was staying overnight, he made reference to the fact that he had gotten into trouble calling his paternal grandma " Grandma ".... (This woman is 57 yrs old, and thinks she should dress & act like she's 20's....get the idea ? She wants to be called by her first name ) which I felt bad that the little guy got into trouble, but I didn't say anything, I was just there to "listen"....

But Ryan, it's often best to let the grandparents decide.....that way, you don't offend anyone !! :)

My kids had 2 sets of grand parents, and 3 sets of Great Grandparents....so, they referred to them like this :
My parents owned a Huge Motorhome.....So, they were known as Grandma & Grandpa Motorhome
My DH's parents lived in a Yellow house, so they were known as Yellow house grandma & Grandpa
My grandparents were known as Grandma & Grandpa Lake ( they lived near a lake )
My DH grandparents ( paternal ) were known as Grandma & Grandpa Farm ( they owned a small farm )
My DH grandparents ( maternal ) were known as Grandma & Grandpa Garden ( they had a huge garden )

Of course these were names that they kids came up with when they were "very " young. As they got older, of course they referred to each grandparent as their last names, but in the grandparents presence, it was always Grandma or Grandpa.....

My grandkids of course have another Grandpa now that I am remarried, and they call him Grandpa J.R. Because my GD wasn't even born yet when my DH Terry died, ( she was born 6 wkks after DH's death ) Grandpa J.R. is the only one she knows.

Quiltfreestyle
February 9th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Our grand kids call us Nanny & Boppie. Thats what i called my grandma & grandpa.
We have a new one coming this month so I guess when he/she starts talking it will be the same. Not sure yet what the new one will call the maternal grandparents. Can't hardly wait for this kid to make his/her appearance. This will be the only one we can visit regularly, they live about an hour away. All the others live in WA so we only get to see them once a year..

Mimis-quilts
February 9th, 2014, 04:31 PM
I wanted to be called Grammy...but when my first grandsons (twins) started talking they called me Mimi...so that stuck and I love it! All 6 grandkids call me this and my husband Pappaw.

Kat 2
February 9th, 2014, 04:31 PM
All of our grandkids call us Mamaw and Papaw and the other set of grandparents as Nana or grandpa or grandma so the kids no who is who.

mommadeb
February 9th, 2014, 04:37 PM
We go by the Icelandic words, Amma and Afi (ah-vee). My granddaughter in the States knows exactly who is being talked about. The rest of the grandkids are here. My kids use Grandma and Grandpa.

Bailey65
February 9th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I called my own grand parents Grammies & Grandpa. I let my first grand child dictate what we would be called. I really didn't care if it was a so called normal grand parent name. Sooooo he chose to call me Nannie and my husband is Bubba! I just love the fact that he chose these names for us! His younger brother has now followed suit and I guess that's what we are Nannie & Bubba!

ren29
February 9th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I'm new here and I hope it's okay that I'm throwing in my 2 cents . . . .

I always called my Grandparents "Grandma (insert last name here) or Grandpa (insert last name here)"

When we had our little guy, we let the grandparents refer to themselves however they wanted because we knew when DS started talking, he'd come up with his own version. At first, they were gammaw, poppaw, and gamma (My DH's father has been deceased for several years but we always talk about him as Grandpa Mike). As he got older his names for them changed in pronunciation but it's always basically been Grandma Susie, Grandma Rosie, and Grumpaw (that one seems to be sticking which is funny because my father's patience is slowly running out in his later years).

Whether it's Gigi, Guinea, Mamaw, Grammy, nana . . . . . it will be precious to all of you when your little one decides what he wants to/can call his Grandparents :)

Best wishes for your family!

bakermom
February 9th, 2014, 05:23 PM
We called our GPs "Grandma Smith""Grandpa Jones" etc. My kids called their GPs the same way. My kids now have their kids call us and the other GPs "grandma jane""grandpa joe" instead of using last names.

QuiltingRN
February 9th, 2014, 05:59 PM
We are going to be grandparents and the kids asked us what we want to be called. I am going to be Grammy and my hubby hasn't decided yet, probably grandpa or poppa.

Ahamblin
February 9th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Growing up my maternal GPS were Muna and Pops, my fraternal were Big Ann and Dad. My fraternal grandparents didn't want to be called anything having to do with Gramps, she started out as Ann but it changed to Big Ann after I was born and I became Little Ann. My parents were called Gonnie and Nick. Basically the first grandchild would come up with something and everyone else followed suit.
When my grandson was born I wanted to be called Nana but that is what his other grandmother is called so we have gone with Gamma and Grandpa Chip. That may evolve as he gets older.

ncgrammie
February 9th, 2014, 07:05 PM
My grandchildren call me Grammie. My step-granddaughter sometimes calls me Grammie-Theda and Grammie other times. My name started with her because she already had two Grandmas. I also wanted something different than Grandma because my mother was always Grandma and no one else could fill her shoes. I love being Grammie. It fits me.

ncgrammie
February 9th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Whether it's Gigi, Guinea, Mamaw, Grammy, nana . . . . . it will be precious to all of you when your little one decides what he wants to/can call his Grandparents :)

Best wishes for your family!

You are so right. My oldest son chose to call my dad “Doe.” We don’ t know where my son got that name or how or why, but my dad was proud of it. It was special, a one-of-a-kind name and his grandson chose it for HIM.

Hulamoon
February 9th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Mine ( four) from my step dd have three grandmas and we are grandma Lorie, Deb and Napua. When we are at family things it just saves confusion and happened naturally.

With my stepson who has one child it's just grandma for now. There are three grandmas there too. She is just a baby so the names will probably get tacked on later. lol

auntiemern
February 9th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Granny. I always knew that is what I wanted to be called. Sometimes they shorten it to Gran.

PeggyM
February 9th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Granny. I always knew that is what I wanted to be called. Sometimes they shorten it to Gran.

I always knew, too. Only my dad's mom, Granny, was alive when I was born, and she was the best. I named my firstborn after her - Sarah. My other daughter gave her daughter the middle name Quinn, my Granny's maiden name, and she never even knew her.

vchale
February 9th, 2014, 08:56 PM
We are grandma and granddad. When our first daughter was born she was the first great for my husband's maternal grandmother who had always insisted on being "grandmother". So when she was 2 we spent a 10 hour car trip teaching her to say great-grandmother only when we arrived grandmother said " she can call me Me-Maw". So she did. One of my grandsons instead of saying grandma Vernona calls me nana Nona. I should have thought of that with the first one but my mother was grandma so that's what I chose because her mother was granny.

mamaquilt
February 9th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I'm Bomi and DH is Bapo. Charel is only starting to talk and so far that's it and I guess it will stay that way too. He calls my Dad Bopap. I like it when the children choose the names they want to call their grand parents.

BellasQuilts
February 9th, 2014, 10:45 PM
My most adorable baby in the world grandson Reagan calls me Nana and my husband Papa. His parents were Mama and Papa but has graduated to Mommy and Daddy. My SIL's parents wanted to be Grammy and Grandpa, but Reagan calls them GG and Grampy.

The most wonderful moment recently was when he said, "I want Nana!".

bdmsmith
February 9th, 2014, 10:57 PM
We're in northern Indiana...but my grandparents and my husbands grandparents were all from Kentucky. I called my grandparents by grandma and grandpa and their last name...so grandma Hardesty or grandma Beauchamp. My husband called his paternal grandma by her name..Grace..I was told because some of her 1st grandchildren on that side called her by name because she didn't want to be called grandma. Now most call her Granny Grace.

When my 1st was born I was 19 and my mom was only 40 and my dad 42 and my DH's dad was 42 so we talked about what they should call them since they were all still pretty young. We decided on Mamaw and Papaw and they all seemed to be OK with that. So again my kids use Mamaw Secor, Papaw Smith or Papaw Jacobs when they talk about them.

Great discussion...it's interesting to see what's used in different parts of the country.

SallyO'Sews
February 9th, 2014, 11:16 PM
My grands call me Grammy, and my DH is Poppy. DS#1's kids call their other grandparents Grandma and Grandpa. D#3's kids call their other grandmother Nana.

My DH is Poppy in honor of his father, who was called Poppy by all of our children, and passed away the year before our first grandchild was born. I'm Grammy because even though I hold two college music degrees, I will never win any awards, lol!

Best older person name I know of was my grandmother's best friend, whom we all called "Uncle Agnes." When my cousin was 4 or 5, he went to visit our grandmother (whom he called "Gunny," since his older brother could not say "Granny") for a week. She and her friends had a grand time taking Drew out to lunch and to various zoos and other kid-friendly places. When he returned home, my aunt asked if he had had a good time. "Oh, yes, ma'am, I loved being with Gunny and all my other grandmothers, and especially my Uncle Agnes!" The name stuck, and we all called her that for the rest of her life. She bore it with typical grace and good humor, and when I got married 20 years after Drew's visit, she sent a card and signed it "Uncle Agnes."

My Mother-in-Love moved to Connecticut from Sweden as a toddler. There she called her maternal grandparents Morfar and Mormor, and had she known them would have called her father's parents Farfar and Farmor. Not sure on the spelling, here; maybe there are some Swedes out there who can correct me!

Cat n bull
February 9th, 2014, 11:38 PM
I am Grandma and my husband is Poppa.

bonniebella
February 10th, 2014, 12:58 AM
I am Grandma and DH is Grandpa. It started out Grandad as that was what my Dad preferred, not sure how it changed to Grandpa. My youngest granddaughter is 2, her other Grandma did not want to be called anything but Grandma, no additions. To save confusion for Ruby my Dd started referring to me as G Ma, I quite like it.

GinnyKNC
February 10th, 2014, 01:07 AM
Madison is too little to call me anything yet, but she can call me what she wants. Gramma will be just fine with me. Growing up with my great grandparents and Gramma, I had big Gramma (grew at Gramma) and little gramma (moms mom) and pappap which was my great grandfather. I think my DILs mother is already called Grammie, so Gramma is fine with me. Maybe my mom can be big Gramma now and I can be little Gramma :). Tradition.

IBake
February 10th, 2014, 02:13 AM
We let our boys name my parents as Grandparents. My youngest son named my mother Honey when he as three and they called my dad Busba - and no we have no idea where they came up with that.

My oldest GS named named me Mema -a southern for grandmother. Hubby is called Gandpa-oldest GS couldn't say "r"s. I think the kids come up with cuter names than adults do....

auntiemern
February 10th, 2014, 02:55 AM
I forgot to mention they call their Pa Pa by that name. When my mom was alive she was the only GGP alive and the girls called her Old Grandma. It came about when there was confusion when other family was around them. My sisters and everyone would refer to me as grandma, when talking, and it confused the kids. They would say "that's Granny, that's Grandma" I am not really sure how my youngest GD started referring to my mom as "Old Grandma" GD is turning 7 in March, my mom passed in Sept. of 2011, and she still talks about how she misses Old Grandma, and sleeps with a little stuff cow that belonged to my mom.

stationarymom
February 10th, 2014, 03:16 AM
i don't have grandchildren yet,but this is how it worked here. my husbands mother was grammy and my mother was nana my father always thought he would be grandpa because that's what we called his father. when i had my son( first born) he could not pronounce the g so my father became papa and my mother nana.

Jackiejs
February 10th, 2014, 12:28 PM
I'm Grammie to most (8 grand kids) Grandpa for my husband. But one calls him Boo.. I don't care what they call me.... just as long as they call me.

Carol336
February 10th, 2014, 08:46 PM
I'm called Grammy and DH is called Baba. Not sure where the Baba came from, that's just what our first DGD started calling him and it stuck.

carolyn125
February 10th, 2014, 10:47 PM
My grandchildren call me Granny Carolyn and their grandfather is called papa John. They all have grandparents and great grandparents so they have to identify everyone by adding their names.

SallyO'Sews
February 11th, 2014, 02:49 PM
The son of one of my best friends had a hard time differentiating between Grammy and Grampy (which is what his older siblings called their grandparents), so when he first started talking, he referred to his grandparents as "Grampy-the-mom" and "Grampy-the-dad".

JFS211
February 11th, 2014, 04:25 PM
When my nephew was born, I was asked what I was going to be called... I was thinking Aunt Julie, but I was going to leave it up to the kid to see what he could say. My sister-in-law is Polish, so we kinda figured that we would use the honorifics for the language we speak.

My parents are Grandma & Grandpa (not even Grandpa and Grandma), and the living-in-Poland grandparents are Babcia & Giadik. I ended up Ciocia Julia (aunt in Polish - Cho-Cha), which can be a mouthful. Not sure how I ended up with the Polish honorific. Sometimes now I'm Ciocia Aunt Julia - phew! My husband doesn't get one, English or Polish; despite everyone's best efforts, the boys refuse to call him uncle in either language.

Edited to add that my grandmother - who was Gramma to us - became Gramma Betty when the first Great Grandson was born. That was just as much for the 2nd & 3rd generations to keep the Grandmas straight! Gramma Betty was step-mother to my mom, so mom referred to Gramma by her first name, and it just spread...

aliaslaceygreen
February 11th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Well, the baby may decide! I called my grandfather Daddy Gus, differentiating him from my Daddy Kevin! My DGD calls me GiGi, him Granpa, and the other sets Nana and Papa and Grandma and Gpa...

toggpine
February 12th, 2014, 01:51 AM
My grandson calls me Mom. He runs it together real fast. My guess is I'll end up being Grandmom or something.
I think he calls me this because he hears my daughter (his 7 year-old aunt) call me Mom. It will all work out.

It often depends on what they can say.