PDA

View Full Version : My interview should be part of Sunday, 9pm Fox Cable TV News Show

MayinJerset
February 7th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I had mentioned here last month that I was interview by Fox News about a childhood friend. Don't know what Fox Cable TV News Sunday 9pm show is named but producer told me the Kitty Genovese portion will be part of the show.

Here's some background about how this happened. 50 years ago this March Kitty Genovese was brutally murdered in Queens, NY. While she was being attached and stabbed in front of her building many people saw and heard it from their apartment windows but none called the police or even shouted out from their window. The murderer left Kitty lying there but then returned to continue stabbing her to death. Theory is that if someone had called the police or shouted out her life may have been saved. Her murderer was caught and is still in prison. Her murder got national attention, many books written, plays, basis of some TV crime shows. A psychologist named it The Bystander Syndrome.

About a year ago Catherine Pelonero, an author, contacted me through Facebook when she saw that Kitty and I graduated the same year from the same high school. I knew Kitty as we grew up in the same neighborhood, we weren't real close friends but did share a few fun times later in high school. Catherine and I had many emails and phone talks while she was writing her book and with my permission Catherine passed my name to a Fox TV News producer, a professor conducting a 50th year Kitty Genovese Memorial conference at Fordham University in March and Kitty's brother who is making a documentary about his sister. The Fox TV News team was here a few weeks ago to film what I remembered about Kitty, Professor has invited me to speak at the Friends of Kitty part of the conference and although arrangements to meet her brother Bill in October had to be cancelled I'll get to meet him at the conference as well as Catherine, the author, who will be a speaker.

Kitty lived just a block away from me in Park Slope Brooklyn, for awhile we had a friend in common when we were about 8 or 9 and spent some time together. We later met up as seniors in high school. My story wasn't much but they all were interested in hearing it. Fox copied photos from my high school year book and some of mine from the same times that I knew Kitty, my communion photos and high school grad day. I even got professional made up for the interview, oh so nice.

I know what I said during my interview may become just a little blip in the final news show but it has been an interesting experience. It also made me glad to remember someone special as she wrote on the 4 corners of her year book photo, For Get Me Not and I haven't forgotten her. Mostly because as seniors she, a few other gals and I cut high school to go to New York (Manhattan) to the Paramount to see a first run movie and stage show. When we arrived at the Times Square subway station she ran to the top of the stairs and threw out her arms and sang, "New York, New York it's a wonderful town". Really someone and something special to remember.

bkthomas
February 7th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Sounds very interesting May......sad story, but very intriguing......

Carolyn23
February 7th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Set my DVR for the show. I'm guessing the name of the show is called Fox Files? Terrible tragedy. Looking forward to hearing about your friend.

Slokarma
February 7th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Fox Files, Bystander Syndrome. I just set my DvR

EmmaB
February 7th, 2014, 02:07 PM
What an interesting story. Such a tragic event to have to remember but I'm glad you came away with some special memories.

Blondie
February 7th, 2014, 07:18 PM
thank you for the update, May. I am going to keep my dvr going.

Madeforyouinma11
February 9th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I'm going to try and find the show and set my DVR too so I don't forget...