PDA

View Full Version : Jay Leno

Genny
February 7th, 2014, 03:19 AM
Just finished watching " The Tonight Show" with Jay Leno and I've got to say I'm going to miss him. It doesn't seem possible hes been on for 22 years! I remember when he replaced Johnny Carson and I thought ...wow...the show will never be the same, but it was and better. Good luck to Jimmy Fallon, hes going to have a hard time filling Jay's shoes...

stationarymom
February 7th, 2014, 03:32 AM
i think the network made a mistake again a lot of the people that watch jay will not like jimmy i know i don't care for him and my father will never watch jimmy either. i hope someone else picks up jay leno. i grew up watching him.

Judy, USMC
February 7th, 2014, 04:02 AM
I grew up with Jack Paar, then onto Johnny and now have to say goodbye to Jay. Time for another generation. I don't think I can switch to Letterman. I just don't get Fallon. Guess I can investigate Kimmel.

Got to find something to fill the gap between the news and Craig.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 7th, 2014, 07:33 AM
I just realized the progression was all names starting with J! No wonder Conan O'Brien was a wash out! I couldn't stand him! But Jimmy might be OK, he has grown in his role as late night host, and won't have to clean up his act as drastically as Conan had to. Conan was boring as the late night host until it got late enough for his raunchy stuff. In an earlier time slot, he was nothing. Jimmy entertains me because his stuff is funnier and not so suggestive.

I cried as Jay signed off, I will miss him a lot!

Blondie
February 7th, 2014, 08:20 AM
I enjoyed his show whenever I had the chance to watch. I used to tape him on my old VHS back in the day, these days I would DVR. I didn't care about the guests really, just love monologues. Whyd does it seem like yesterday that Johnny Carson was listening to Bette Midler croon to him on his last show?

Do not like Letterman - when he first came on late night, he WAS silly and I liked him a lot. The winter Olympic coverage by him in 94 was hilarious. Now he is just a mean old man. Go away!

I don't mind Jimmy Fallon. He can be silly, which always make me giggle. And I like to giggle. Don't know if I will be dvr'ing his monologues but will give it a try.

Suzette
February 7th, 2014, 09:15 AM
My husband really enjoyed Leno, I just never cared all that much for his humor - it never clicked with me. I'm a Jimmy Kimmel fan and I also like Jimmy Fallon a lot. But I do wish Leno all the best in whatever the future holds for him! :icon_happy:

MayinJerset
February 7th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Jean said, "I just realized the progression was all names starting with J! No wonder Conan O'Brien was a wash out!"

I remember the first late night show with Jerry Lester, there's the beginning of the J's. He was followed by Steve Allen, no J there but he did a lot of skits with some very funny guys, Louis Nye, Tom Poston, Bill Dana, Don Knotts, Gabe Dell, Pat Harrington, Jr. (does the J in Jr. count?). Then back to the J's with Johnny Carson.

Stopped watching those late night shows years ago in favor of late night re runs of Law and Order and other shows.

Meli
February 7th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Jim stays up later than he should to watch Jay. Neither of us really likes Jimmy Fallon. As for Letterman, ugh. Just ugh. He's not funny. He's snarky, he's rude, he's condescending. Yep, definitely going to miss Jay.

Lindagie
February 7th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I really liked Johnny Carson and Jay Leno. I could not tolerate Conan at all. I'm still not sure that Jimmy will be successful on this show, but he is much more likeable than Conan and I do love his musical skits. I will miss Jay and I will give Jimmy a shot. I felt so sorry for him when he first started on his show because his monologues were SOOOOOO bad. I hope he continues to improve on that score. I liked Letterman as a guest years ago, but he really HAS become very snarky and hateful; we never watch him.
I wasn't sure about Jay at first, but once he found his niche, he was just fine, so I'm hoping that Jimmy will do the same.

snippet
February 8th, 2014, 05:09 AM
I'm a Letterman fan. Always have been. I guess he's an acquired taste.

I hated the way Leno got the Tonight Show and not Letterman, so I switched to Letterman when Johnny retired. I miss Johnny Carson a lot though - has anyone read the book by his lawyer friend? It's good and insightful.

I hate Conan terribly, just not funny and is so full of himself. I like the others though - Fallon, Kimmel, and Ferguson. Fallon is really talented, so I'd watch him easily.

easyquilts
February 8th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Jay Leno was a favorite of my husband's..... I wish him well..... 22 Years went by so quickly!