PDA

View Full Version : American Night Owl Idol

pcbatiks
February 6th, 2014, 01:18 AM
I have a topic for tonight that I thought might be interesting. Thinking back to when you were a kid......we probably all had our favorite toy. Tell us about a toy or childhood item that you wished that you still had. I'm curious to see if any of us might mention the same toy or item from our childhood.

One toy I wished that I still had is a stuffed animal monkey. He was stuffed but the face, big ears, tennis shoes & hands with a banana in one hand.....were made of soft plastic. The top half of the body was yellow with little strips as suspenders.

So what was your favorite that you wished you still had? :)

Lindagie
February 6th, 2014, 01:33 AM
I had a" Princess Summer Fall Winter Spring "marionette when I was little. She was a character on the Howdy Doody show. As I got older and didn't actually play with it anymore, my mom decided that I probably didn't want it, so she gave it away with some of our other toys and clothes that we didn't use anymore. I didn't know that she gave it away until years later as I was looking for it. I think I was mad at her for a long time for giving it away without asking me about it first. I just hoped that whoever got it loved it as much as I did.

Mpyles
February 6th, 2014, 02:34 AM
I have a topic for tonight that I thought might be interesting. Thinking back to when you were a kid......we probably all had our favorite toy. Tell us about a toy or childhood item that you wished that you still had. I'm curious to see if any of us might mention the same toy or item from our childhood.

One toy I wished that I still had is a stuffed animal monkey. He was stuffed but the face, big ears, tennis shoes & hands with a banana in one hand.....were made of soft plastic. The top half of the body was yellow with little strips as suspenders.

So what was your favorite that you wished you still had? :)

67698 this one?????

Mpyles
February 6th, 2014, 02:37 AM
I had a" Princess Summer Fall Winter Spring "marionette when I was little. She was a character on the Howdy Doody show. As I got older and didn't actually play with it anymore, my mom decided that I probably didn't want it, so she gave it away with some of our other toys and clothes that we didn't use anymore. I didn't know that she gave it away until years later as I was looking for it. I think I was mad at her for a long time for giving it away without asking me about it first. I just hoped that whoever got it loved it as much as I did.
67699 here she is

Kgrammiecaz
February 6th, 2014, 02:37 AM
Aww he is so cute.

The only one I can really remember is the doll that was almost as tall as me and you could walk her. As i think of it now I remember her being pretty big. Anyone know what she was called. I think she talked too. Was it chatty kathy? My memory is terrible.

Mpyles
February 6th, 2014, 02:43 AM
Mine was a velvet doll...and mine went to somewhereville...but I bought another one about 15 years ago her she is..67700

And my sister had cricket...67701. My sis passed away 4 years ago...she still had her original doll I believe...I wonder what happened to her....

Genny
February 6th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Mine was a scooter. We were very poor and I remember the day that my mom and dad took me to the old furniture store and bought it for me, can't remember if it was a birthday present or not, but I remember being on it every day all day long. I'd love to still have it!

Hulamoon
February 6th, 2014, 03:00 AM
I had a marionette too. It was from Mexico on a vacation, I think. lol

I saved some of my favorite soft toys, but the one I always remember is a pink telephone that talked to you. I remember my mom trying so hard to get that from Montgomery Wards. I would love to have that back.

stationarymom
February 6th, 2014, 03:02 AM
hi
my mother was a neat freak so we didn't get to do arts and crafts much,but she bought us this stuff called silly sand it was colored sand that you put into a squeezq bottle and mixed with water and my sister and i could make pretend castles and houses or what ever our imagination came up with.i really did enjoy that

Hulamoon
February 6th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Here ya go...:)

MayinJerset
February 6th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Oh Wow, It is difficult to remember in the middle of the night. Back in the olden days when I was growing up kids didn't get much in the way of toys and add the fact we were kind of poor there wasn't much to remember.

What I do remember are roller skates that we attached to our shoes. My parents would buy us the cheaper brand that didn't hold up as they bent or wheels broke off. Grandpa came to the rescue and bought my brother Jim and I each a pair of Union Roller Skates, they were so much stronger and adjustable so we could use them again the next year when our shoe size was bigger. They came with a skate key that you used to tighten the clamps onto the front of your shoes. Skate key was very important to have as the clamps would loosen and the skate would fall off. I put my skate key on a ribbon that I wore around my neck so I was prepared at all times.

We used to skate in the street as there weren't too many cars in those days, plus gas rationing during WWII kept many cars idle so we had the street to ourselves. We drew long curvy paths from one side of the street to the other crossing back and forth many times. Breezing down the street on my skates was really a great feeling of freedom.

goofyizzy
February 6th, 2014, 06:33 AM
I was a 70's child. My favorite toy was called Krazy Kar. It was a cool ride-on toy that could spin 360 degrees. I wasn't much for dolls. I liked to play outside with my brother.

toggpine
February 6th, 2014, 06:33 AM
I had a ViewMaster and an impressive collection of discs. I would get them for Christmas or my grandparents would buy one when the went on trips so I could "see" where they went.

The viewer and all of the discs went to my cousins when one of them was sick with the chicken pox. I never saw them again. My aunt wasn't a "keeper" of things. If she was tired of having the item around or parts went missing, out the whole thing went.
We didn't have much money as Mom was a single parent, so it was never replaced. My guess is that you couldn't find all of those travel discs again, or at least not and have any $$ for fabric! I did tell Mom that no more of my stuff would ever go to their house without me saying it was OK. She stuck to it.
My daughter has had two and neither one has lasted very long. The gear dealie slips and won't advance the disc. Kind of sad.

I also miss the Sunshine Family. It was like a granola family version of Barbie. They had cool stuff and you could make crafts for them. I had a truck with a camper and a house that folded down. Pretty cool.

Iris Girl
February 6th, 2014, 06:45 AM
I wasn't much into barbie but loved my dawn dolls they were smaller. I used to make all the clothes for them and furniture from boxes and cans and then set them up in a house I made from cardboard boxes. I also still have my velvet doll. and the baby doll crib that the side goes up and down on. That was a christmas gift from my aunt for my first B'day. It was so sturdy that there is a picture of my cousin and I sitting side by side in it with the side down like a love seat. I wasn't even 1 and he was not quite 2.

Carol336
February 6th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Isn't that funny......I can't remember a favorite toy. I had 4 sisters and everything was kind of communal property I guess. We didn't know it but I guess we were poor and didn't really have a lot of toys. We did have dolls that my DGM made clothes for and we played a lot with them. And we were all a little older(6,7,8 & 9) when our youngest little sis was born and I remember that we were so in love with her, she was like having a living doll. We used to dress her up in our doll clothes. So I guess my little sister was my favorite toy!!!

Judy, USMC
February 6th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Money was short and mom & dad said I could get a 2-wheeler when I learned to ride one ~ so I learned to ride on my neighbor Chuckie's boy's bike. Soon after dad would spend his evenings in a walled off workshop in the basement. About a month later he presented me with the bike he was working on; it was blue with white stripes.

It was actually a hand-me-down from my older girl cousin and he had painstakingly scraped, sanded, refurbished and completely repainted. He had put on those pinstripes using masking tape as a guide and painted with one of those teeny dime store brushes. I don't know if I loved that bike because it was mine or because dad put so much time into it.

I believe it got handed off to another younger cousin.

EmmaB
February 6th, 2014, 09:12 AM
I would sit for hours with my barbies. I remember having 2 of my own, one of which was PJ. She had a pullstring and would talk. A little later I inherited my older cousins barbies with some clothes and.....an actual case to keep all their stuff in!! Good times for sure!

pcbatiks
February 6th, 2014, 09:34 AM
I had a ViewMaster and an impressive collection of discs. I would get them for Christmas or my grandparents would buy one when the went on trips so I could "see" where they went.

The viewer and all of the discs went to my cousins when one of them was sick with the chicken pox. I never saw them again. My aunt wasn't a "keeper" of things. If she was tired of having the item around or parts went missing, out the whole thing went.
We didn't have much money as Mom was a single parent, so it was never replaced. My guess is that you couldn't find all of those travel discs again, or at least not and have any $$ for fabric! I did tell Mom that no more of my stuff would ever go to their house without me saying it was OK. She stuck to it.
My daughter has had two and neither one has lasted very long. The gear dealie slips and won't advance the disc. Kind of sad.

I also miss the Sunshine Family. It was like a granola family version of Barbie. They had cool stuff and you could make crafts for them. I had a truck with a camper and a house that folded down. Pretty cool.

Aahhhhh.......the ViewMaster.......I forgot about those! I had one too with quite a few discs and played with it all the time........our son had one too! It's a shame things aren't made as well as those were years ago.

SallyO'Sews
February 6th, 2014, 12:52 PM
What a fun thread! When I was 8 I announced to my mom that I wanted a teddy bear for my birthday. I remember that it was because I'd never had one, and for some reason (probably because that was about the time in my life I began to get lost in books) I was absolutely convinced that a childhood without an actual teddy bear (I had an ample collection of dolls and other stuffed critters) was a deprived life, indeed.

I've no idea what sort of bear it was, but it was purchased in England, where we were living at the time. I had it for many years, but my folks moved a few times, including after I left for college, so I'm clueless as to what happened to it. This is going to sound funny, but I remember the way it smelled! If I'm not mistaken, there was leather on it somewhere, and I think that's why.

Anybody out there remember the smell of a new vinyl baby doll? That's something else I remember.

Mpyles
February 6th, 2014, 03:12 PM
I was never good with the view master...they made me go cross eyed....my little brother had one.

bdmsmith
February 6th, 2014, 06:57 PM
When I was really young I had a stuffed lamb that I carried everywhere and slept with....it disappeared probably when I was around 8 or so and my mom never knew what happened to it. I wish I still had that.

Bailey65
February 6th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Mine was a Holly Hobbie cloth doll that I still have to this day :)

But do you want to hear a funny story. It wasn't funny at the time. I got a Baby Alive Doll....early 70's for Christmas. I loved my baby SOO much, I bathed it, fed it, changed it. As a little girl I wanted to me a Mommy when I grew up. Well by little brother wrote on my babies face with permanent marker.....I was devastated. My Mama tried everything under the sun back then to try and remove the marker to no avail. So my mother tells me.....just think of it as a scar! I was so upset....that we could not remove the marker. It's funny to think back to that time.....makes me chuckle now!