PDA

View Full Version : New job--post office--forum absence

bdmsmith
February 5th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I had been unemployed since Jan 2013 (I left a job as a regional property manager due to extensive management changes & the new expectation to travel from home overnight 4-5 days a week vs. what I agreed to when I accepted the job of 1-2 overnights)......I had sewn since I was about 10 and had been working on some things for the 4H fair last summer when my husband requested a quilt last summer......that's when I found M* and was hooked. I started on the forum and participated in swaps and discussions daily (probably spent too much time on here actually). I was able to complete a few quilts, but had been searching for a job all last year.

I put in an application in November for the PO as a rural carrier & after several weeks of testing, drug testing, interviews, paperwork, job acceptance & training....I finally have been able to start training with the route I will be filling in on. I accepted a position at a smaller branch as opposed to one I was offered at a larger facility because I was hoping I'd have more of a chance to go full-time and/or get some more hours as a fill-in while I waited for a permanent opening since the small branch indicated they were always short handed & they wanted me to train on multiple routes.

Well, over the past couple weeks I have done a couple ride alongs, practiced sorting mail, and on one delivered 1/2 the mail on 2 different days. Now, I'm starting training on another route and did a ride along, one 1/2 day...I do the other 1/2 day tomorrow and then Friday I will be doing it all by myself.....soooooo nervous! I feel fortunate that I was a manager at a local paper in which I oversaw 50+ routes so I have a lot of experience doing routes....however, things are different at the PO and there is so much to do in order to learn the route.

If there is any PO carriers on here willing to give some tips to me----I'll accept any and all!!!! My main worry is increasing my speed so I get done and back to the office by the deadline.

A couple of things that I have learned that I will pass onto everyone-----1) It is very important to keep the area in front of your mailbox cleaned out....I started at a time when we have received lots of snow and this has drastically opened my eyes to the things carriers have to work with in order to deliver the mail....today was horrible doing the part of the route with all the snow especially since our counties have been under snow warnings and travel warnings.
2) ALSO---if you receive lots of packages consider getting one of the super large mailboxes. After my 1st day of delivering...we went to lowes and I was looking at the super large mailboxes and my husband just laughed at me.....I can say I'll definitely be getting one to make it easier on the carrier....especially in this weather it was horrible treading through all the snow to deliver packages and I greatly appreciate the customers with large mailboxes so that a good amount of packages fit into them.
3) ---I never would have the carrier pickup my packages because I felt guilty and would take them to the PO myself....however, I now know that the carriers don't mind doing this because this is extra traffic on the route which ensures they have good numbers when their route is evaluated....so, everyone ship those packages, pre-print your labels and go online to request your carrier to pick up your packages!!!

It's amazing how my perspective has changed in doing a new job. I really enjoy delivering mail although am sad that it has limited my time here on the forum & limited my quilting time.

PeggyM
February 5th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Congrats! I truly respect my letter carrier (do they still call them that?). I always make sure the path to the box is cleared - I thought it was the law. Maybe it was in my family. Our letter carrier when I was growing up was my sister's Godfather. I feel there is a place for a joke here, so I'll explain. "Louie the Loop" was a childhood friend of my father's - just a coincidence he was our mailman. Best of luck, and don't be nervous. Pretend all your deliveries are to M*QC customers, and you know how we appreciate you. :)

toggpine
February 5th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Congrats Teresa!

It may limit your time to quilt & your time here, but it does allow you more $$$ to spend on fabric!

Simply Quilting
February 5th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Congratulations on the new job.

K. McEuen
February 5th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Good luck and stay warm!

Kgrammiecaz
February 5th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Wow good information about having packages picked up. I have always taken my packages and dropped them off.

ilive2craft2
February 5th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Congrats on the new job! Try to stay warm and dry.

CountryHut
February 5th, 2014, 10:23 PM
my carrier is awesome -

I knew that my carrier was sick of walking a 1/2 acre to my front porch to p/u packages that were being shipped out .
just so happened - a neighbor a few blocks away was tossing out one of those huge postal boxes -- I tossed it in the back of
the buggy and had the hubby installed a post and then had him mount that huge postal box --
the days that I feel like I running tight on time -- I give my carrier a call to see how close he is to delivery time --
the mail box might already be filled to the door with packages going out -- and if I am one piece of packing tape to being done
he'll drive back to my T-shirt Hut to pick up the last of the packages going out . . Yaaaaaaaay!! for Howard . . L*~

the neighbors get a kick out of me driving from my HUT to the mailboxes out front to load them up with packages being shipped
out . .
just wait until I get the UPS man trained to deliver packages back to my studio once it's done . . LOL*~

all kidding aside --- I appreciate my delivery peeps -- and they looooooooove homemade goodies too :)

Good luck with your new job and beeeeeeee careful too :)

bdmsmith
February 5th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Thanks everyone! My postmaster is really super nice which is another reason I chose the location I did....every day I show up she is so grateful, apparently she has had some bad experiences with people thinking they want the job and then quitting......I can understand though especially in this weather and until you do a job, any job, you really have no idea what is all really involved in it.

Another thing I learned------that the US post office delivers packages for UPS and Fedex! I never knew this but since the PO services every address, those other companies will drop off packages for us to deliver for them. Seems odd to me but I'm sure it makes sense for them especially in the more country locations. In just the few days I've worked there I've seen the UPS guy in our office numerous times.

For me it's a bit nostalgic....just the idea of the original pony express and the development of our country. It was the same way when I worked for the large newspaper company because every time we'd watch TV shows with the 'paper boys' I felt connected because of working in the same industry.

The tough thing for me is that with the paper we had to be out delivering no matter what....I had to walk through large snow drifts, across yards full of water, etc.....However, at the post office if there is too much snow, or obstacles in the way like trash cans or vehicles then we don't deliver while at the tribune we were expected to get out of our vehicle and deliver it anyway. I know today I delivered several I probably shouldn't have due to my mentality from paper delivery...but in my mind it was less handling of it since it saved me from bringing it back and taking it back out.

Genny
February 5th, 2014, 11:15 PM
my carrier is awesome -

I knew that my carrier was sick of walking a 1/2 acre to my front porch to p/u packages that were being shipped out .
just so happened - a neighbor a few blocks away was tossing out one of those huge postal boxes -- I tossed it in the back of
the buggy and had the hubby installed a post and then had him mount that huge postal box --
the days that I feel like I running tight on time -- I give my carrier a call to see how close he is to delivery time --
the mail box might already be filled to the door with packages going out -- and if I am one piece of packing tape to being done
he'll drive back to my T-shirt Hut to pick up the last of the packages going out . . Yaaaaaaaay!! for Howard . . L*~

the neighbors get a kick out of me driving from my HUT to the mailboxes out front to load them up with packages being shipped
out . .
just wait until I get the UPS man trained to deliver packages back to my studio once it's done . . LOL*~

all kidding aside --- I appreciate my delivery peeps -- and they looooooooove homemade goodies too :)

My granddaughter leaves homemade goodies for her mail carrier too!

Genny
February 5th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Teresa congrats on not only a job...but a great job!

auntiemern
February 6th, 2014, 12:38 AM
My sister is a rural carrier here in our county. I knew about USPS delivering for UPS & FEDEX. I have a great respect for carriers. My BIL was a carrier for a suburb of St.Louis for 40 yrs. Congrats on the new job.

Grandma G
February 6th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Congratulations on your new job. It sounds like in no time at all you will have your route mastered. We love our mail lady. She is sweet and kind and does a terrific job. When it's 95 plus degrees here in the summer I try to be sure and catch her as she pulls up to our mailbox to be sure she has plenty of water or ice for her little ice chest. She always asks how my DH is (he has been battling cancer which is currently in remission - thank God). Always a smile on her face.

I'm sure in no time at all everyone will love you, too. Lots of good wishes headed your way. And, oh, I have one of those large mailboxes, too. She loves me for it!

dwil23
February 6th, 2014, 01:07 AM
Congrats from another postal employee! I am not a carrier, but I can tell you I surely respect what you do. I work in the P&DC (processing and distribution center). My tip to you would be to give the mail you pick up a quick glance, even though I know city carriers are told not to take the time to look at it. Customers often put notes, stamp orders and even gifts for their carriers in their box that end up in the Nixie section because it can't be identified.

Congrats again!

MayinJerset
February 6th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Congrats on the new job, although it is difficult to learn everything you need to know you seem to being doing great.

Now everyone make sure you clear a path to your mail box, we have it on good authority that is very important.

Good Luck, May in Jersey

Iris Girl
February 6th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Congratulations on the new job!

Klasien
February 6th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Congratulations on your new job!!!

EmmaB
February 6th, 2014, 09:03 AM
YaY to you on your new job!

madampolo
February 6th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Congratulations! It is a dream job in my book. I'd add that you should pick up your mail everyday so the postman doesn't have to stuff the box. We live rurally, and teenagers smash mailboxes for fun. I just hate that.

Bubby
February 6th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I have a terrific mail carrier (female) that I've know for several years. My house is her potty stop if she needs it and I send her off with a hug and a snack of cookies or other goodies if I have them on hand.

MRoy
February 6th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Congratulations! I've had 3 mail carriers in 40+ years and they've all been great. I have great respect for the mail carriers traveling our country roads, especially during the winter snows. Best wishes!

Monique
February 6th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Congratulations on the new job. I work for Canada Post up here, although I work inside and not outside. I too never realized how the mail got sorted and went out every day. It does give you an appreciation though.

Hulamoon
February 6th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Congratulations! I had some good friends that were postal carriers (about in my twenties) They did the walking with the bags though. Do they still do that?

bdmsmith
February 6th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Congratulations on your new job. It sounds like in no time at all you will have your route mastered. We love our mail lady. She is sweet and kind and does a terrific job. When it's 95 plus degrees here in the summer I try to be sure and catch her as she pulls up to our mailbox to be sure she has plenty of water or ice for her little ice chest. She always asks how my DH is (he has been battling cancer which is currently in remission - thank God). Always a smile on her face.

I'm sure in no time at all everyone will love you, too. Lots of good wishes headed your way. And, oh, I have one of those large mailboxes, too. She loves me for it!

That is so nice of you! I bet she really appreciates that! We are getting a large mailbox really soon----I think my DH was hesitant and afraid that with a large mailbox I'd order more fabric.

bdmsmith
February 6th, 2014, 08:06 PM
my carrier is awesome -

out . .

Sounds like you do have a really great carrier. It's funny how often I pass UPS and Fedex each day. I would love to get to a box that is loaded with outgoing packages.....I did have 1 that was in a box to pickup yesterday and I loved it...I guess that's the ebayer in me!

bdmsmith
February 6th, 2014, 08:09 PM
My sister is a rural carrier here in our county. I knew about USPS delivering for UPS & FEDEX. I have a great respect for carriers. My BIL was a carrier for a suburb of St.Louis for 40 yrs. Congrats on the new job.

It seems like there are lots of carriers out there that have been there 20, 30, 40+ years....that is awesome! It makes me nervous hearing about the cutbacks because I have to work as a fill-in until a regular route comes open and there are 2 more ahead of me in line so it may be awhile but it seems it will be worth the wait. Once I'm done with training and on a more regular schedule in the next few weeks, I will look for another part-time job of some sort to try and fill-in until I can get with the PO full time.

bdmsmith
February 6th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Congrats from another postal employee! I am not a carrier, but I can tell you I surely respect what you do. I work in the P&DC (processing and distribution center). My tip to you would be to give the mail you pick up a quick glance, even though I know city carriers are told not to take the time to look at it. Customers often put notes, stamp orders and even gifts for their carriers in their box that end up in the Nixie section because it can't be identified.

Congrats again!

Thanks for the tip! In rural carrier academy they told us when we pick-up mail to make sure to flip through it to make sure everything looked correct, although I think the city carriers go through some different training so maybe there's is a bit different. I am surprised at how much mail is picked up on the route since I rarely ever put anything outgoing in my box....it's probably been over a year or two since I've sent outgoing mail. I'm glad to hear there is another postal employee here on the forum. My orientation was in one of the sorting hubs and the machines were amazing in there....not sure the right terminology...maybe it was the P&DC that I was in...the machines wasn't running but we got to walk around them.....there was aisles and aisles of them.

HandsOffItsMine
February 6th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Congrats on your job! I'm sure you'll do great with your personality. :)

We love our mail lady, she always has a smile. Like many we have cold water ready and now we even talk her into waiting for some hot tea or even to take a break and to come in for tea. It's dang cold out there.

Good luck. Huggers, Ruby