PDA

View Full Version : Nite owl visitor

Hulamoon
February 5th, 2014, 02:08 AM
Okay my turn :)

Do you get visitors sometimes and it so out of the blue? I was napping on the couch this morning, it was early, coming out of my nite owl sleep. I heard this weird crunchy sound. I get up thinking what the heck is that!?

It was a Corgi eating cat food. Her name was Coconut, Coco for short. I called both numbers ( yes please put that on your pets!)

The strange thing was is that I was thinking of getting one but they are expensive. Now that I see one here on my porch walking around, I'm thinking oh my gosh this little thing is so hairy! lol

bubba
February 5th, 2014, 02:15 AM
The last unexpected visitor we had was the pug we found running down the street dodging being hit by cars. Brought her in and that was when we discovered she was a monkey cat dog!!! She hopped from chair to sofa to loveseat prancing along the back and then all of a sudden conk out and fall asleep immediately. She had a tag w/a phone number which I called for a week, leaving messages and getting no response. I even called the dogs vet w/no luck. We did find her name was China. I say was, because now this cute little fur ball lives w/our daughter and grandgirls and her name is Chewy. We know she was just over a year old when we found her according to the vet, and she is very small, maybe ten pounds. I don't know if she loves them more or vice versa.

Simply Quilting
February 5th, 2014, 02:25 AM
The other night a deer decided to jump into our yard (we live in town). Then he jumped out on the other side of the yard and took off.

My visitors always seem to show up when I am least ready for someone to drop by.

bkthomas
February 5th, 2014, 03:59 AM
The kids saw a raccoon in our back yard a couple days (middle of the day) ago and tonight it was scratching at out sliding door.
The kids were freaking out....I let the dog out for a few short moments and thought that would be the end of that.....the dog was growling again a short time later.
My DD and her DH were gone at the time - we think it may be rabid and she is going to call animal control tomorrow - the kids have to cut through a vacant field to get to school. I think she should take them tomorrow.

toggpine
February 5th, 2014, 04:49 AM
We have had several visitors of various kinds.

My favorite was the Australian Shepherd who is an escape artist. She just wants to be with people. All of the time. She has gone through a plate glass window to get out of the house when she was home alone. She was very well mannered, and her owners came and picked her up after work.
The neighbor's goats had several visits in our stock trailer since they kept getting out of their fence. They are gone now; the neighbors & their goats.
We have had black bears in our drive way. Raccoons and opossums on our porch. A few bunnies, pheasants, & quail when we first moved in, but we haven't seen them in a few years.
We have also had a few dogs that didn't belong here and they met with a BB in the butt for their troubles. We used to have a few cats that roamed the neighborhood, but my guess is the coyotes got them.
We've also had our share of strange people in the driveway. The roads out here can be pretty confusing, and most of them are lost. There have been a few that warranted a call to the sheriff's office and the deployment of our personal homeland security agency. (The county sheriff's response time is 30 min to an hour.)
Since we have installed the gate, we have fewer 'drop in' visitors. That is nice.

Corgi's are cute, but you are correct. They are very hairy!

MayinJerset
February 5th, 2014, 06:01 AM
We found that we have an a tenant living under our backyard shed building. Backyard has inches on new fallen snow and there were small foot prints from the side yard leading under the corner of the shed. Haven't seen the rabbit or rabbits yet so Peter Rabbit and friends will be OK in their hutch.

Iris Girl
February 5th, 2014, 06:24 AM
We have had all sorts of visitors. We have bunnies living under the shed, we get deer not so many now they put homes behind us. ground hogs, squirrels on the deck, and opossum in the recycling bin, skunks wandering at nite, a couple stray cats.. the neighbors dogs. and this guy or gal actually come out to lay their eggs 67608

Sew Perfect
February 5th, 2014, 08:23 AM
About 45 minutes ago, I let my little dog out front to go potty and a doh was waiting for us. Miyo (Mee-oh) tried to chase the deer but could not because the snow was way to deep. The deer was beautiful and Miyo was adorable all covered in snow.

bubba
February 5th, 2014, 12:16 PM
We have had several visitors of various kinds.

(The county sheriff's response time is 30 min to an hour.)

Just how far out are you?? All the way to Devil's Head?

toggpine
February 5th, 2014, 02:03 PM
We are past Home on the way to Herron Island.

When I called to report the woman screaming for help walking up the road, the dispatcher told us it would take about 30 minutes to get an officer here. We have called on other, slightly less urgent matters and that has taken an hour.

Fire & EMT help are a bit closer, and had the woman been in more obvious signs of distress, I'd have requested medical help.
As it turned out, she was intoxicated on something, and she had worn out her welcome where she was staying. So at 1:30AM it all came to a head and she put on this lovely public display.
After having a shoot-out the next street over several years ago that resulted in a dead guy in our neighbor's front yard and the discovery of a huge marijuana grow operation, I don't just run out to see what's going on.
We did listen and keep the dispatcher updated an her status.

bubba
February 5th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I remember that shootout, altho I was not working! Sadly, when the taxes only pay enough to have one deputy on your side of the Purdy Bridge and one on the Harbor side, we have to get pretty creative sometimes. When they had that shooting a year or so ago at Lake Katherine Village, I was working that. The two deputies I had were already at a priority call deep on the peninsula, and when I toned out that shooting, off duty guys went, WSP went, and TPD went! If you call when I'm working, I'll have them airdropped in :D

toggpine
February 5th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks!
I'm pretty sure that if there had been blood or gunshots, we could have had some of off-duty guys activated that live around here.
There is a Mason Co. officer & a Pierce Co. one that live within 10 minutes. The fire dept. is well represented on our little road with one active & one retired member. The neighbor who ended up with the dead drug-dealer guy in his yard is a Fish & Game warden. So, if it was really bad, we do have back up!

As for taxes, we pay, but a lot of homes out here are empty. Empty homes = no owners to pay the taxes and put $ into the local economy. Four out of ten on our "block" are empty, and according to the water guy that is really good. There are also about 100 or more squatters and homeless folks out here in the woods, not to mention the couple of bears we have seen and lots of coyotes we hear.
We do appreciate our officers out here and know it is a lot of area for them to cover. Hence the reason a large portion of us are licensed to carry and check on our neighbors.

bubba
February 5th, 2014, 06:47 PM
I sent guys to a squatter call out there just the other day. And if I'm not mistaken, you also have a Fircrest officer nearby as well! I'm sure you have better protection than most!

snippet
February 6th, 2014, 12:44 AM
How strange you posted this.

I've been seeing small furry balls lying around my front porch lately. One is tiger striped and the other is grey. One or the other appear for the day then it disappears. Today I found a cat teaser toy (wand with a long fluffy tail that you tease the cat with) on the sidewalk.

There are a few cats in the neighborhood, but I've never seen any of them with toys. I guess the cats have decided to make my house their playground in the neighborhood.