PDA

View Full Version : Missionary Update: Just had to share

Meli
February 4th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Two years ago, I told you about #2 stepson, Nate, who was getting ready to leave on a mission for our church. He was being sent to southern Peru, and was ecstatic. It took him longer than anticipated to get there due to visa delays, but once there, he dug in, learned the language, learned to adapt, and learned to love the people he met. He has eaten food that most of us wouldn't even consider food (I still shudder hearing about the soup made from rotten, fermented potatoes) He has lived in apartments that I wouldn't use as a kennel. And he has been preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ every day. I've lost track of how many people have been baptized after listening to and learning from him. He doesn't take any of them for granted, and he doesn't take any of the credit. He has given himself completely over to the promptings of the Holy Ghost.

In just 5 weeks, on March 11, he'll be home. He'll slowly transition back to "civilian" life. He'll go to college, fall in love, get married. But for a few more weeks, he is a tool in God's hand.

I am getting really excited to see him, to have him back into our normal, daily life. And I am so very grateful that he spent his youth preparing for this time, gaining and building a testimony of Jesus Christ and being willing to leave everyone and everything he knows to go to a foreign country and share God's Truth. I know that he's touched countless lives and his influence will be felt long after he's home.

turena65
February 4th, 2014, 03:29 AM
What a beautiful testimony! Of our 3 boys, two have gone on missions, but they were both stateside. our third one is inactive now, and I can't help but wonder what he has missed out on becauase of the choices he has made in his life. It's called free-agency, and I have learned that as long as I taught him the gospel of Jesus Christ, it's up to him to choose the path he wants to follow in life. Congrats on having a returned missionary... when they come back, they are a little bit "weird" trying to transition to "normal" life again! :)

Meli
February 4th, 2014, 03:54 AM
Thanks, turena. I've heard they come back a little weird, but that's to be expected. Sorry your son is inactive, but I firmly believe each of us has to takes our own spiritual journey, and it may not take us where our parents expect. I'm hoping when Nate gets home he'll get his younger brother to get off his butt and start moving forward.

bkthomas
February 4th, 2014, 04:04 AM
I can only imagine how excited you must be! Two years can seem like an eternity at times and other times it seems gone in a flash! Will keep you and yours in my prayers Meli......

snippet
February 4th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Gosh, that's so exciting that he's coming home soon. I did some missionary work in Peru a few years ago. It was a blessing to have been there and being with the locals.

it is so nice to know you did right in raising your kids, isn't it?

Meli
February 4th, 2014, 10:19 AM
DH is 6' even. His oldest and youngest are both around 6'2". Nate is 5'9". When he found out he was going to Peru, DH started talking about the general height of South American people (DH served a mission in Chile). Nate stopped what he was doing and in a wistful voice asked, "You mean I'll be tall?" And he has been! Coming home is going to be harder for him in more ways than one.

Snippet, I'm pretty sure Nate was born ready to be a missionary! When he graduated high school, he immediately enrolled in a public speaking class at the community college because he's inherintly shy and knew he'd need to overcome that in order to be an effective missionary. He went to an extra worship service every week for a year. Have you heard the expression to "put on the whole armor of God"? Well, Nate's the only person I know who took it literally.

dwil23
February 4th, 2014, 10:24 AM
That is wonderful news. I know you are so proud of him and anxious to get him back home.

MayinJerset
February 4th, 2014, 11:25 AM
That is wonderful news. I know you are so proud of him and anxious to get him back home.

My feelings exactly. Give Nate a Big Hug from all of us. 67511