PDA

View Full Version : I was dumbfounded....

bubba
February 3rd, 2014, 02:17 AM
My husband drove me over to Joann's to look for backing fabric for my D9P. While there, he was looking for a couple different items for himself. One was a needle nosed oil can. For some reason, he thought it was a good idea to ask the cranky lady who works in the sewing machine store inside the Joann's. She told them where they might be and continued to tell him, we would not have anything like that in this section because sewing machines don't require oiling! :icon_stunned:

Mpyles
February 3rd, 2014, 02:46 AM
Obviously she has never owned a machine?

toggpine
February 3rd, 2014, 02:50 AM
I wish I could say that surprised me. The salesclerks in that section are less than stellar.

I'm al so guessing you won't be purchasing your next machine from them then?

CountryHut
February 3rd, 2014, 03:01 AM
Why is that? . . . why is it in EVERY JoAnn store that I've been in - that person (s) that works in the sewing machine section -- it seems that they are ALL cranky butts -- they treat you like you're beneath them

Peggi
February 3rd, 2014, 03:22 AM
Well.... she might not be stupid and/or lying. One of my machines, a Brother SE270-D, does not require oiling because it is a "self-oiling" machine. Yes, that is what the manual says. The parts that need oiling are permanently sealed with the lubrication inside.

However, I do agree with the statement that the employees working in the machine section (Husqvarna, isn't it?) have hoity-toity holier-than-thou attitudes!

Iris Girl
February 3rd, 2014, 06:54 AM
Why is that? . . . why is it in EVERY JoAnn store that I've been in - that person (s) that works in the sewing machine section -- it seems that they are ALL cranky butts -- they treat you like you're beneath them

So so true and sad. I had the great displeasure of working for one of those cranky butts..I put up with it for 2 years while hubby was on unemployment and part time work looking til he finally said get out of there. She was a liar, thief and a cheat. Can't even begin to tell you how many of my commissions she stole and many of my sewing regulars she was nasty to. Unbelievable the rules. Keep busy, no wandering around Joann's looking for fabric, No walking away unless your going potty, no eating in our area. Only work on class related projects. and the list went on , and all for min wage plus commissions...if she didn't steal them...( seems she always Talked to the person before you so that made it her commission. Shame on her. Because of her I hate going in our Joanns now, She was very loud and nasty when I quit and handed in my keys.

Not for nothing But I am well known and liked in our area for sewing knowledge having worked Rag shop for 20 years as fabric manager/acting ass't manager and sewing instructor. I still get people I taught to sew 20 years ago that now have kids asking if I still teach after they have found me at Michaels. Side note my sewing girls I taught at Viking all followed me when I left and that is my group of 6 sewing ladies I teach on weds :) still with me 2 years AFTER I left viking.

bubba
February 3rd, 2014, 12:09 PM
I would never, ever buy a machine from them! I'd be hard pressed to even buy one from the big sewing machine store not much further away.

However, I know for a fact that at least one of those machines does need oiling because it is the machine I have (not bought from them), and there are two points that require it. The people in that section just annoy me.

I remember when I was looking for a small machine to take to classes. They sold two of the ones I wanted to look at. I went over there, was looking around, she was helping me w/the 'lower priced machines' and as soon as a woman walked up and looked at one of the pricey ones, she left me and never returned. Needless to say, I was about to make a purchase, however, I think I am much happier w/my Babylock Audrey purchased elsewhere.

quiltingtrish
February 3rd, 2014, 12:27 PM
I know a lady who owned a fabric shop and Joann's would not hire her because she wanted to help the customers and she was over-qualified. No wonder they get the cranky ladies in there. I wouldn't go the one located in Selinsgrove if they paid me to go there. The one by my dad's - they are a different breed there (some of them) and helpful.

Hugs,

grandmasieg
February 3rd, 2014, 01:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with Joann stores. My local Joann's is wonderful. The sales associates are always friendly and very helpful. They always have sufficient staff and registers opened. Some of the cutters can be slow and talkative but that's OK...at least they are friendly and precise! I usually go to Joann's with coupons to stock up on supplies and love when the red tag material is 50% off.

Hugs!
Debbie

SallyO'Sews
February 3rd, 2014, 01:51 PM
My experience is more like Debbie's... I bought my Husqvarna at JoAnn's many years ago; they were having a buy-one-get-a-free-serger deal, so I did, and they saleslady was really great. DH and I walked in with me intending to buy a bottom-of-the-line machine, but he went over to her and said, "I want you to sell my wife a machine." I still love both the Husqvarna and the serger (it's a White; not even sure they make them any more) and use them both a lot. The free serger even came with two free classes so I could learn how to use it. Definitely the most expensive thing I've ever bought just for me, but sure has given me a ton of pleasure over the years.

That said, I was the only customer in the area that day, and she was the only salesperson. And she clearly made a good commission. I really think that wherever you shop, your experience is only as good as the first person you meet. I work in customer service now, and it's amazing how loyal customers will be if they feel that they are being treated with respect and compassion, even if we mess up an order. People are pretty forgiving if you just treat them the way you would like to be treated.

toggpine
February 3rd, 2014, 02:22 PM
I went to them looking for a lower-end serger as a gift for my aunt who was about to take custody of her granddaughter. (Lots of sewing of clothes for her.) I was asking some questions about if they had a machine that was easy threading, or something similar to the Babylock with the air threading feature.
She then went on a long diatribe about the failings of the Babylock machines and how once the bellows went out you'd never be able to thread your machine again. I let her pull out plenty of rope, and once she took a pause for air, I let her hang herself & any commission with it.
I have a Babylock with air assist threading and love it. I'm often too lazy to stuff the thread down the hole and pouf the air jet to thread the machine and I can just tie off the thread and go. It does many things I haven't even tried. It has performed well with only the routine maintenance checks, and some of those have been farther apart than they should have been.

My comments to her was: "Perhaps you should know a bit more about your competition before you try to convince an owner of one that they are crap. It wasn't a very gracious way to convince me that you have a better product, or that I should purchase it here." At which point I just walked away to check out the fabrics.

Most of the JoAnns employees that work the floor have been helpful or at least tried to be. You can certainly tell that some of them have no experience with fabric, but they usually try.

Peggi
February 3rd, 2014, 03:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with Joann stores. My local Joann's is wonderful. The sales associates are always friendly and very helpful. They always have sufficient staff and registers opened. Some of the cutters can be slow and talkative but that's OK...at least they are friendly and precise!

Just to clarify - the discussion about the "cranky-butts" wasn't a reference to Joann's employees, it was a reference to the Husqvarna employees who sell sewing machines inside Joann's. They are two separate organizations and the Husqvarna people are more than happy to let you know they do NOT work for Joann's.

I've never had a problem with the worker bees at Joann's, although I no longer shop there because their corporate policies annoy the Tabasco out of me.