PDA

View Full Version : Little man update (Spoiler: He isn't here yet)

HandsomeRyan
February 2nd, 2014, 01:51 PM
Little man had a doctor appointment on Friday. The doctors still won't concede that my wife and I were right about him being significantly further along than they estimated but they agreed with us that he is "ripe" and also huge.

According to the doctors he was 36wks 1day at the time of the appointment and his original due date was 2/27.

We believe he is more like 38-38.5 weeks.

Mom is already 2cm dilated and at least somewhat effaced (although they did not say specifically how much). Little man was estimated to be 8lbs 1oz and in the 97th percentile for all the measurements they take.

They scheduled an induction for 2/20 but said that if we want to be induced earlier we can they just have to verify that Sawyer's lungs are developed. We are going to try to give it a few more days and hope for nature to take its course but we will consider an earlier induction if the next ultrasound shows him even bigger as we're still hoping he can make it into the world via the front door rather than a doctor-assisted side-door exit.

Mom still hasn't had much in the way of contractions. Not even the Braxton Hicks contractions but I guess not all people experience them.

We are so ready for his arrival. With a big snow storm predicted tomorrow I figure he'll probably try to arrive then.

So- if you want to make any last minute predictions on when he'll arrive go ahead. It will almost certainly be between today and the scheduled (AM) induction on the 20th.

Also if you have any last minute advice for us as new first time parents feel free to share it.

I think we are in a pretty good spot. We have had an outpouring of love and support from both families, colleagues, friends, and even internet quilting forum pals! I know it will be difficult at times but I think we'll be okay as we have a very strong and stable relationship between the two of us and we are equally committed to giving little man the best life we can.

Because things have been kind of crazy around here trying to make sure everything is ready I have not been participating as much and I am unsure what my forum participation will look like for the next few weeks. I just wanted to make sure everyone knows how much I appreciate all of you and I promise to get some pictures of little man posted here ASAP after he arrives.

Best,
Ryan, Tabatha, and Sawyer, aka: little man, aka: mini cooper

buckeyequilter
February 2nd, 2014, 01:55 PM
I say Feb. 13....two weeks early :)

QuiltingRN
February 2nd, 2014, 01:57 PM
I know that you and Tabatha will do great! Sounds like you are ready, and Sawyer will come into a very loving family.
Looking forward to the pictures of the happy family!

My first child was a C-section, my second one was natural birth. So long as you get a healthy baby.

My thoughts are with you all. Hugs!

Feb 10th is my guess.

shermur
February 2nd, 2014, 02:00 PM
How exciting, Ryan! This being your all's first...it's all a learning process. So, from a woman who was for whatever reason prone to have big babies/Braxton Hicks contractions the last 6 weeks of first pregnancy? If your wife can walk, whether it's outside (provided the weather is suitable) or in a mall (I know there's a nice one in Frederick). Walking will be her best friend if she can stand to do it!
I wish you both the best of luck and please keep us updated!!!!!

GrammaBabs
February 2nd, 2014, 02:06 PM
Bless you all.. and all the best in this endeavor..LOL This "little man" is very lucky to have the Mom and Dad he is about to meet!!!
GrammBabs... OH an if you are okay with it..home addy for cards and such?:)

GuitarGramma
February 2nd, 2014, 02:06 PM
Wishing you all the best! You're right, babies can cry all night and rob you of sleep, but they just come bundled with so much love that you make do. We're all so excited for you.

HandsomeRyan
February 2nd, 2014, 02:10 PM
home addy for cards and such?:)

Sure.

Ryan, Tabatha** and Sawyer Cooper
722 E. Watersville Rd.
Mt. Airy, MD 21771

**It is spelled with all A's like the British spelling rather than the more traditional American spelling with an I. And yes, she is named after the daughter on Bewitched. :)

Claire Hallman
February 2nd, 2014, 02:15 PM
How exciting for you to know he is doing so well already. It sounds like he will have the best possible world to live in, one full of love.
He will arrive when he is ready for his debut, enjoy the peace for now and don't rush.:D
I guess 2/15

Iris Girl
February 2nd, 2014, 02:17 PM
Feb 14th Valentines Day.. My hubbys grandmothers b'day.
You 2 will be great parents. Relax and enjoy it.

Mpyles
February 2nd, 2014, 02:34 PM
Exciting times!! I was just thinking back to when my children were born...via the side door...I didn't think I could love them anymore than I did on those days...but I do...with every day! Best wishes Cooper family!!!

.....and I say February 7th!

BellasQuilts
February 2nd, 2014, 02:35 PM
No predictions on arrival date, but walking is a big help to get things started. I bet she is really OVER being pregnant!

KathyCrofoot
February 2nd, 2014, 02:38 PM
My advice is that babies come when they are dang good and ready. Messing with mother nature is not pleasant. Our son was induced and it was a long ugly labor. And he's an only child - not that has anything to do with anything. Remember it is my belief you are the best judge of what is right for you and your family. Even though Doctors have lots of schooling, they don't live in your skin. The Good Lord doesn't give you anything you can't handle with his help.

Relax and enjoy this time of anticipation and take care of each other and that little man. There will be rejoicing here in Platteville, WI on the big day - whenever that may be!

P.S. On the small world front, I have a client in Mt. Airy MD...

PeggyM
February 2nd, 2014, 02:44 PM
Best wishes to all of you! To the extent it's possible, I believe you're ready. Sleep NOW. You may not have a chance for a while. :)

Simply Quilting
February 2nd, 2014, 02:55 PM
The best advice that I can give is to trust your instincts. I am sure that ya'll will make amazing parents. Enjoy the babymoon period and just focus on your family.

From personal experience, I can tell you that ultrasounds can be wrong - the dr. had me worried that my first would not even be 6 pounds - baby was 7 pounds 8 oz.

I dilated before hand (7cm) without Braxton Hicks. It helps to make shorter labor. Also try to avoid being induced - I was with all 4 of mine - if I would have known then what I do now I would have refused. Even the makers of Pitocin don't recommend using to induce labor - says so on the label.

Feb 8 would be great as it is our anniversary but any day is a great day to have a baby :)

Madeforyouinma11
February 2nd, 2014, 03:06 PM
I say February 6th! Good luck!

K. McEuen
February 2nd, 2014, 03:08 PM
Ha, Peggy beat me to it - sleep now and after the birth, sleep when he sleeps or you will fall so far behind in sleep that you'll feel like a zombie.

I never had any Braxton Hicks contractions either. I will tell you while I was in labor, if I got up and walked I didn't feel the contractions, they were still happening but the walking must have taken my mind off the pain. Has the baby "dropped" yet? I was so relieved and happy when that happened about a week before the birth - I could eat more than a couple bites without indigestion, it was wonderful!

Jean Sewing Machine
February 2nd, 2014, 03:09 PM
Best of luck to you and Tabatha, you will be such good parents, I'm sure of that!

Doloris
February 2nd, 2014, 03:14 PM
I say when Little Man Sawyer is ready he will tell you loud and clear. My first was due June 15th and he finally made his appearance on July 4th. No ultrasounds back then unless they thought there was a problem. We had to keep guessing the sex until the baby was born. Anyone I knew who was induced said labor was really rough right from the start, so I would avoid it if at all possible. I'm guessing Feb 19th, my brother's bday.

MRoy
February 2nd, 2014, 03:23 PM
I think Feb 27th would be a great birthday for Sawyer..since that's my son's birthday. But it sounds like he probably won't wait that long. Best wishes to you, Tabatha, and Sawyer. I hope it's a short and uneventful labor for Tabatha (and for you). There are lots of cyber-aunts here who'll be waiting for pictures. God Bless!

PeggyM
February 2nd, 2014, 03:27 PM
We are so ready for his arrival. With a big snow storm predicted tomorrow I figure he'll probably try to arrive then.

What snow??? I need to pay closer attention to the weather. What hospital are you going to?

Ahamblin
February 2nd, 2014, 03:42 PM
How very exciting for both of you. You both will do just fine. Trust your instincts and remember that there are no stupid questions and if the doctor (for the baby) didn't want middle of the night panic calls he would not have chosen that specialty. Sleep will be hard to come by for awhile - you can't sleep because the baby is crying and then you can't sleep because the baby isn't crying and you are constantly checking on them. It is all normal. Enjoy this time because it goes by in a heartbeat and before you know it you will be grandparents.

grannyann
February 2nd, 2014, 04:20 PM
Oh he can come tomorrow Feb.3. It is a good date as I have been celebrating that day for just about 71 years. I don't think you need any advice simply because it all comes naturally. The first child is hard to pin a date on could be early could be late. He will
come out when he is good and ready. I know you are both so ready for him to enter the world. Wishing for an easy birth and healthy mom and baby.

Sharyn J
February 2nd, 2014, 04:27 PM
How exciting that he's almost here! You'll both be such wonderful parents and will have a change of life very soon, a wonderful and fullfilling change. I'm guessing he'll come into the world the 14th.

Fun Facts About February Born Babies | Lil' Baby Cakes Blog (http://www.lilbabycakes.com/blog/fun-facts-february-born-babies/)

toggpine
February 2nd, 2014, 04:40 PM
I'm kind of partial to the 20th as it's my daughter's birthday. Her's was a bit of a dramatic entrance via the side door. I don't recommend the high drama version.

I sincerely hope all goes well and he makes an easy entry into this world whenever that may be!

HandsomeRyan
February 2nd, 2014, 05:01 PM
What snow??? I need to pay closer attention to the weather. What hospital are you going to?

The 6" they are predicting tomorrow.

Frederick Memorial.

ilive2craft2
February 2nd, 2014, 05:08 PM
Congrats to all of you! He will come when it is his time, no matter how much planning is done or not done. I can only echo the recommendations to get sleep now if you can and to sleep when he sleeps once he is here. All of the emotional upheaval, even though it is wonderful happy emotions, does take it's toll on you - more than you can know. Just sleep when you can - it will help all of you. Also, don't worry about the laundry or dishes, etc - what gets done gets done and no good will come from fretting over what didn't get done. Can't wait to meet our newest cyber nephew! :)

auntiemern
February 2nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
You're son will have super great parents. You have already been more involved in his life, than a lot of fathers. Snow storm huh? My guess would be then, but I am leaning more toward the 10th. As long as he is healthy, That really is all that matters. Ooooo, I can barely wait.

Nidan_07
February 2nd, 2014, 08:07 PM
Well Ryan, I would say have everything ready to go. It sounds like it could be any day now. I did not experience any of those false contractions at all and my boy was 8 lb 5oz. Each and every pregnancy is different, so I suppose he will come when he is ready. Given that he seems to be in the top percentile for all measurements it sounds like he is growing at a good rate.
As long as Mum, Bub and Dad are all doing well then all is good!!
I am sure you will be checking in with us here, and keeping us updated as much as you can.
Take Care of All and the very best of luck to you!!

RFREE
February 2nd, 2014, 08:09 PM
How exciting for you and your wife! One things for sure... When he is ready to make his appearance there will be no stopping him.
My due date for my DD was August 12th I worked up until 2 weeks before. I took 2 weeks vacation and put in for maternity leave starting the 12th.I had her at 8:15am August 12th. Very short labor 5 1/2 hours.
Good luck and congratulations!!! We all can't wait to see him.
Hugs from Ky
Rhonda

MayinJerset
February 2nd, 2014, 08:20 PM
Feb 14th Valentines Day.. My hubbys grandmothers b'day.
You 2 will be great parents. Relax and enjoy it.

I also think the birth date will be 2/14 - St. Valentine's Day, so romantic, and I know you 2 will be great parents, so Relax and Enjoy. May in Jersey

dwil23
February 2nd, 2014, 08:38 PM
I believe in most cases, Baby comes when Baby is ready. With my oldest, I was told on December 23rd, that I was 2 cm dilated and 30% effaced. I was not due until January 12th. I looked at the Dr and said "will I be spending Christmas in the hospital?" Very good possibility, he said. So, I left there at 10 in the morning and shopped until I dropped (almost literally) until 10 that night. Christmas and New year's came and went. January 12th, came and went. I was hospitalized for pneumonia on the 21st. They were sending me home on the 24th, when labor finally started at 5:43 am. An then finally on the 25th at 5:48 am, Stephen made his appearance, no C-section. It was Super Bowl Sunday, 1981. My doctor had been teasing me that I was waiting until 6 o clock on Super Bowl Sunday so that he would miss the game. So, I guess he was actually 12 hours earlier than the doc predicted. MY second was born on her due date, (Oct 31), third was due on 8/23 and arrived on 9/2 (induction scheduled for 4th) and my fourth was induced three days early due to my blood pressure being abnormally high.

So, Sawyer will come when HE is ready, I say! My advice for you both now is get some sleep. Something you will long for very soon.

stitching woman
February 2nd, 2014, 09:32 PM
The two of you are so full of love for each other and this sweet baby boy that nothing could be more appropriate than for him to come on February 14. No matter when he arrives he will be met with loving parents and extended family. Get some rest you will need it.

auntiemern
February 3rd, 2014, 02:20 AM
Awe Bernice, you said it all so eloquently. You hit the nail on the head. :D
The two of you are so full of love for each other and this sweet baby boy that nothing could be more appropriate than for him to come on February 14. No matter when he arrives he will be met with loving parents and extended family. Get some rest you will need it.

New York Sue
February 3rd, 2014, 02:52 AM
The apple will drop, when ripe from the tree.......
I don't know if this is biblical, but as an L&D nurse for 29 years, I see a lot of unnecessary intervention.
Or maybe I should say interference.
Sonograms this late are SO unreliable. (plus or minus TWO pounds at times)....
This child is already gifted, on SO many levels.
How about you guys just chill out, and let him decide when he's ready?

IBake
February 3rd, 2014, 03:46 AM
Walk wlak walk walk walk walk. Walking and being upright...gravity is not a option, it is the law...and if you can avoid it, DO NOT INDUCE. It is a horrible ugly labor and your wife will feel like killing you and everyone else she can find. It is a difficult way to bring the little one into your life and unless there is a valid reason for it, I would avoid it. Just my opinion, but after teaching Lamaze for years, it say and heard enough from my clients.....

They told me my second one would be 7 to 7 1/2 lbs. TOPS. He was 9lbs. 5ozs. 20" long and looked like a little football. The dr. offered to me that if we had a third he would take the bus home from the hospital!.

HandsomeRyan
February 3rd, 2014, 07:08 AM
I understand that ultrasounds can be unreliable but I should also mention that my wife was a 10lb baby when she was born. Her twin brother and sister were over 7lbs each when they were born (which is big for twins). Her sister just gave birth to a 9+lb baby girl in April. So there is a strong family precedent for big babies.

I understand that induction is not pleasant and can have complications but there is reason to believe that if the baby does not arrive soon it will become a necessary c-section which has its own set of complications. We're certainly still hoping nature will take its course and neither of these options will come into play.

pcbatiks
February 3rd, 2014, 07:29 AM
What are you doing up so early..........practicing for when Sawyer arrives! :D

Take the sleeping advice..........enjoy it now while you can.

Grandma G
February 3rd, 2014, 10:51 AM
So excited for you and Tabatha! Yes, babies prefer to be born on their own schedule and normally do better that way, however, sometimes it is necessary for a little more expert help. My first granddaughter was induced and I still think it was more due to the doctor's schedule than little one's schedule and screamed for the first three months. She was labeled a "4th term baby". I had never heard of that term before and the only way they could calm her down during those first three months was to keep her swaddled. That worked very well to keep her calm.

Anyway, you guys will do just fine and are certain to be terrific parents. You do realize that we all feel as if we are going to be maiden aunts to your precious "little man". Best of luck!

I understand that induction is not pleasant and can have complications but there is reason to believe that if the baby does not arrive soon it will become a necessary c-section which has its own set of complications. We're certainly still hoping nature will take its course and neither of these options will come into play.

Bubby
February 3rd, 2014, 11:44 AM
I say February 15th, so he can share my birthdate! Or February 14th, because he's certainly be a sweetheart!!

meemeecyn
February 3rd, 2014, 12:10 PM
Oh, Ryan....this is so wonderful to ride along on this journey with you, Tabatha and LIttle Man Sawyer. Thank you for keeping all your forum sisters/brothers in the loop. No matter when he decides it is time to come, he will be accepted into loving arms by two special parents who started loving him unconditionally months ago! You are smart people, a lot of parenting approaches come naturally and what doesn't, you both have many people in your circle of support who can offer advice and/or help. One day at a time. :)
Cynthia

Miss Sheri
February 3rd, 2014, 12:30 PM
Best Wishes, happy thoughts, excitement, and prayers for safe delivery for Mommy and Son. Love to you all!

bellasnanny247
February 3rd, 2014, 12:41 PM
I predict by this time next week you will be holding your new addition! Most likely a Saturday or Sunday arrival--and advice.....get the sleep now because once a baby shows up--it's no longer about when you want to sleep-lol!

SallyO'Sews
February 3rd, 2014, 01:58 PM
Awww, Ryan, please give Tabatha and Sawyer hugs from all his quilty-grammies!! We love you all!

Wwena
February 3rd, 2014, 06:44 PM
So looking forward to seeing him! Best of luck! :) :) :)

GinnyKNC
February 3rd, 2014, 06:54 PM
So excited for the two (three) of you :)
My grandmother and grandfather had the same birthdate - 2/14 and my youngest sons is 2/20. hummmm
I'm going to say sometime this week.
If she sits straight up and pulls hers legs up towards her crotch (forgive the language) as far as she can with the bottom of her feet touching each other it really does help :) I just seen that work twice this month lol.

JCY
February 3rd, 2014, 08:47 PM
We'll be waiting to hear the news. And yes, post pics. May you have a safe & uneventful delivery. God bless, JCY

maxwellthecat
February 5th, 2014, 11:08 PM
2/15 is my DH's birthday, that happens to be a great day for a baby to arrive.

IBake
February 6th, 2014, 12:09 AM
And of course several of my Lamaze couples swore that the fact that they had good old fashioned (ahem) "fun" in the bedroom is what helped bring on labor(hard and fast, hard and fast) :icon_hug: .....and then my couple who the father did some precision driving insisted that the fast bumpy road that he took them for a spin on is what helped her go into labor :icon_woohoo::icon_woohoo:..............