PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl in Sox

toggpine
February 2nd, 2014, 02:46 AM
The weather has been so weird here. Cold, warm, cold, warmer today and headed for much colder. Winter isn't over for us yet.

We did get the barn cleaned out, so the girls will have a snuggly fresh bed of straw to sleep in. The wood is brought in, so the stove can stay up and running. Now to keep my feet and fingers warm.
I am not sure what the deal is, but the rest of me can be just fine temperature wise, but my hands are literally like ice. I have resorted to warming a flax bag and tucking my hands under it.
I have loved to be barefoot in the house, now I wear at least one pair of socks and often a pair of fleece slippers over those. I have another flax bag that I can pop in the microwave and put down by my feet. This is especially helpful at night when my feet have been so cold they ache and keep me awake.

Do you have any preference socks, slippers, scuffs, moccasins, fluffy, fleece, plain, or do your feet just have to be free?

Mpyles
February 2nd, 2014, 02:55 AM
Cold hands? Well you know what they say...warm heart!! My feet are always cold...our foundation is a concrete slab.....which is cold in the winter....pergo vinyl flooring on top doesn't make it any warmer...so socks and most time shoes are warranted around here in the winter! But when its bedtime if I start out with socks they usually end up off sometime in the night! Don't know how some nights...but they do...maybe it's the laundry room sock monster trying to get to them...

toggpine
February 2nd, 2014, 02:58 AM
Mary
I can't tell my daughter about the sock monster! She'll never sleep again! Interesting theory though!

Mpyles
February 2nd, 2014, 03:00 AM
Mary
I can't tell my daughter about the sock monster! She'll never sleep again! Interesting theory though!

I swear when my children were young..he lived here!! Always a missing sock...,my 19 year old dd refuses to wear matching socks now...says it's waste of energy to match them up...me on the other hand...have to have them match...

Simply Quilting
February 2nd, 2014, 03:06 AM
It is cold here tonight as well. It is suppose to get even colder tomorrow. Our temperatures have been up and down and are looking like they will be next week as well. Ouch for my head as I get migraines when the weather does this.

I spent this evening putting together the Storybook layer cake quilt top. I have it iron and have sewn the back together but have not sandwiched it yet. That will probably be a Monday project as we are busy tomorrow. I spray basted and tied the last one this size and think that I will do that again. The quilt turned out okay but I still don't like the layout that I did - it was hard not to get the same colors or prints next to each other. I do love the 1930s prints.

I personally like slippers in the winter and barefoot in the summer but have to wear tennis shoes with inserts all the time now because of planter facetious. Thanks to the doctor's treatments, I can at least walk now and not be in pain. Hopefully, I will someday get to go barefoot again.

Kgrammiecaz
February 2nd, 2014, 03:10 AM
I am a sock wearer with my shoes. But out of shoes, I am out of socks. I like being barefoot in the house. On those few cold days we had, I find I have to wear socks because the tile is so cold, but cannot have them on to go to bed.

And it never failes, there is at least one missing sock when I do my laundry. I only do my laundry, so just cannot figure out where it goes. But it shows back up sometimes. Crazy

stationarymom
February 2nd, 2014, 03:17 AM
i can empathize,i am anemic and this year even in the summer i was under a blanket. in the house i always wear socks but they weren't enough in the recent cold. my husband found me some socks that are lined with some kind of (synthetic) fur they are so warm.

dwil23
February 2nd, 2014, 04:17 AM
The morning started off rainy and chilly, but by mid afternoon, it was hot enough for the A/C to be turned on. :(

My feet are always cold, too. I prefer sandals over shoes, but sometimes when it's cooler, I need some fluffy slippers or warm socks. But, my favorite foot warmer is my DD's 70 lb pit bull. She loves to sleep under the covers at my feet and has them warmed up in no time.

My solution for no missing socks - mesh laundry bags. I do safety pin them shut, otherwise they will sometimes open, but you never loose a sock that way and they are cheap!

dwil23
February 2nd, 2014, 04:29 AM
It is cold here tonight as well. It is suppose to get even colder tomorrow. Our temperatures have been up and down and are looking like they will be next week as well. Ouch for my head as I get migraines when the weather does this.

I spent this evening putting together the Storybook layer cake quilt top. I have it iron and have sewn the back together but have not sandwiched it yet. That will probably be a Monday project as we are busy tomorrow. I spray basted and tied the last one this size and think that I will do that again. The quilt turned out okay but I still don't like the layout that I did - it was hard not to get the same colors or prints next to each other. I do love the 1930s prints.

I personally like slippers in the winter and barefoot in the summer but have to wear tennis shoes with inserts all the time now because of planter facetious. Thanks to the doctor's treatments, I can at least walk now and not be in pain. Hopefully, I will someday get to go barefoot again.

I have that too and I tell you, for me, the most pain relief I get is when I wear my Birkenstock sandals (Madrid style). I wear them everywhere but work.

MayinJerset
February 2nd, 2014, 05:45 AM
Bare foot gal here, I can't remember when I last wore a pair of socks. My hands, feet and head have always been warm, That being said last winter my hands were cold a lot of the time, best way to warm them was to wrap them around a big hot mug of tea. Glad that hasn't been happening this winter although a hot mug of tea sounds pretty good right now.

With arthritis in my knees walking isn't as easy as it used to be and I'm very concerned about preventing falls. Being barefooted at home helps as I can 'feel' where I'm walking. I also can't bend over too far on my left side so getting a sock on my left foot is time consuming. Barefooted is harder on my feet as they do get drier. Now I remember when I last wore socks, it was a week or so ago when I gave my feet a treatment. Best treatment for dry and crusty heels it to slather them with Vaseline or a heavy duty cream, put a plastic baggie over the foot, then a thick sock (I use DH's old white terry lined ones) and leave on over night. Caution - Just do one foot at a time as you can't walk with baggies on both feet.

Speaking about things that get cold, my whole body is cold here at the computer. This room is in the north corner of our house and during these colder nights it gets pretty chilly in here. I keep a fleece throw on the back of the chair and wrap it around me while I do my Night Owl thing.

Iris Girl
February 2nd, 2014, 06:19 AM
I am a barefoot girl and would never wear socks or shoes if I didn't have to. BUT winter is cold. So I wear scuff slipper in the winter with socks once I am dressed, with barefeet until I get dressed. I start out going to bed with spa socks on (I call them sleepy socks) once your feet are warm your whole body is warm. They usually get kicked off after 2 or 3 hours though. In the warm weather its always barefoot inside or out.
My computer/sewing room is an end room so 3 sides to he outside. My hands get cold if I am at the computer to long so I have fingerless gloves for then plus a quilt for my legs and a shawl made from cuddle soft fleece for my shoulders.

bkthomas
February 2nd, 2014, 07:35 AM
May, I love your caution on your suggestion! Just sittin' here giggling!!

bubba
February 2nd, 2014, 12:11 PM
Here, my feet are always cold! I wear socks round the clock during everything but summer...you know, the third week of August! It was nice to be in Hawaii because I could go barefoot or flip flops everyday....it felt wonderful!

When I get a bad cold, I will put a thick layer of Vicks on, then a special pair of socks for that mess. Sounds odd, but it really works! And my bed warmer, I run that for about the same number of days I wear socks to bed!!!