PDA

View Full Version : Pat Sloan's Machine Binding Tutorial

rebeccas-sewing
May 7th, 2011, 11:20 AM
For those of you who haven't seen this tutorial, it's a good one. Using your machine to finish sewing on your binding instead of hand sewing it. She makes it look really easy.http://patsloan.typepad.com/quiltershome/pat-sloan-machine-binding-tutorial.html

mrswindy4
May 7th, 2011, 12:28 PM
She makes it look so easy, doesnt she? I tried this method on a table runner once...didnt look to bad for my first attempt. With practice, I think I could use this method on bigger projects...saves so much time!

JVO
May 7th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I do this on smaller projects (table runners and wall hangings) and also on baby quilts. I feel it is maybe more secure than the hand sewing for items that will be washed a lot like baby quilts. I still like the look of hand stitching on a big quilt. And really it does not take a lot of time. I will do it while watch TV in the evening with my husband.

rebeccas-sewing
May 7th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I need to get up the courage to try it! I wonder what color thread would be best if the binding and the border are different colors? Match the color to the binding or the border?

wicked
May 7th, 2011, 01:22 PM
It does look alot easier and not as time consuming. I think I will give it a try.

Thanks

debinmalaga
May 7th, 2011, 10:17 PM
It looks really nice, and theoretically it shouldn't be that hard to do. I think I would match my thread to my binding, unless I was sure my stitching was going to look good, in which case a contrasting decorative stitch would look nice. Hmmm... Good question, Rebecca, guess it would depend on the quilt and the quilter.