PDA

View Full Version : This is very hard, but I am determined to be thankful. Prayers appreciated.

SallyO'Sews
January 30th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Hello, quilty friends,

Yesterday morning, a high school senior in a town not far from us lost control of his car on the way to school, hit two trees, and died. 18 years old, very popular, athletic, just a really good kid. The principal said he was the kind of student everyone loved to have at school. RHAM senior killed in crash near school - WFSB 3 Connecticut (http://www.wfsb.com/story/24574756/rham-senior-killed-in-crash-near-school)

He was also my niece's dearest friend (not her boyfriend; this was very much a platonic relationship). My niece is also very close to my 17-yr-old DD#10, who spent a bit of time on the phone with her cousin last night. Lots of tears, as you can imagine. My heart breaks for this young man's family (whom I have never met), for my niece, who was basically inconsolable last evening, and for my DD, who feels her cousin's pain very deeply. I can't even imagine the pain this young man's parents are in.

So, is there anything to be thankful for? I believe that there is. Not the kind of jump-up-and-down, gleeful thankful; and certainly not the oh-it'll-be-okay-just-look-on-the-bright-side kind of thankful; just the quiet, sober sort. I am not a "Pollyanna;" but I really truly believe that remaining thankful in the face of tragedy is necessary for me right now. So here goes:

I am thankful that this young man did not suffer. He died very soon after the accident; the school bus driver and another passer-by who saw the accident administered CPR until help arrived, but he was pronounced dead right after reaching the hospital.

Also, this happened at 9:30 in the morning; his parents do not have to wonder whether alcohol or drugs were involved.

I am thankful that this small community has some wonderful, caring families who will rally around and support this boy's family. I am friends with two of the high school teachers there, and I know that in spite of their own grief at the loss of a student, they will be there for the other youngsters to offer consolation and understanding.

I am thankful that my DD#10 is so compassionate; and that she and her cousin were able to reach out to one another. Jess really needed to talk to someone her own age, who not only knows her well and understands what this young man meant to her, but at the same time is not someone from school who is taking this hard personally.

And I'm thankful for my quilty friends, who are so kind and thoughtful. I know that most of you have already begun to pray for Garrett's family before you even finished reading this post. May God bless you all richly.

~ Sally \0/

rebeccas-sewing
January 30th, 2014, 01:16 PM
What a tragedy. I'm so sorry your daughter has lost her friend.

WendyI
January 30th, 2014, 01:30 PM
It's so unfair when young people are lost. Truly heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your DD. ((((HUGS)))) coming her way. xox

HandsOffItsMine
January 30th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Prayers for Garrett's family and all his friends, the community and especially your own family. Hugs that you'll all find the strength to make it through the next weeks.

dwil23
January 30th, 2014, 02:14 PM
This is so sad. Thank you for looking for some things to be thankful for, I don't know that I could have done that, but we have to remember "In all things, Give Thanks". Sometimes that is so very hard to do.

Praying for his family and friends.

GuitarGramma
January 30th, 2014, 03:02 PM
What a tragedy. You are a good person to find the things to be give thanks for.

You are certainly right that this young man felt no pain. I once fell off a rearing horse and my first thought was literally, "I wonder what part of my body hit the ground." It turned out that I had landed on my left arm and smashed it into 100 pieces, yet I felt no pain for several minutes. We are designed so that our pain sensors shut down when the pain would be unbearable.

I will certainly pray for the family.

KathyCrofoot
January 30th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Lifting you all up that all the lives touched may find peace and comfort in His arms. Thank you for reminding me that being grateful in the face of adversity is a powerful, empowering action.

MayinJerset
January 30th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Such a tragedy, adding my prayers.

easyquilts
January 30th, 2014, 05:04 PM
I'm so sorry.... This is the kind of thing every parent fears most.... What a tragedy...

pcbatiks
January 30th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Thankful that your daughter could be a comfort to her cousin during this time........prayers for this family.

Bubby
January 30th, 2014, 06:24 PM
It's so sad when young people die. Even in the midst of your sorrow you can always find something to be thankful for. I'm so sorry your daughter lost her friend.

maxwellthecat
January 31st, 2014, 02:21 AM
I saw it on the news, I live in Connecticut. What a tragic accident. They said that he was liked by everyone. My thoughts and prayers
for the family.

Monique
January 31st, 2014, 09:10 AM
So terribly sad. Parents should not have to bury their children. Prayers to the family.

Blondie
January 31st, 2014, 09:15 AM
thank you Sally for posting this. You are so right. Sometimes a thankful heart is thoughtful, reflective. I am thankful that Garrett was here on earth long enough to leave a positive impact on those who knew him.
Praying for his family and for your niece. Thankful for your DD#10.
God bless