PDA

View Full Version : One ugly animal...

Genny
January 29th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Looked out the window a few minutes ago and seen this....YUK!!! Think I'll stay in the house....

Monique
January 29th, 2014, 08:07 PM
What is it?

mcwade
January 29th, 2014, 08:15 PM
It looks like a possum to me.

Judy, USMC
January 29th, 2014, 08:16 PM
It looks like a possum to me.

I'd agree! It's a possum.

ilive2craft2
January 29th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Yep, possum. Ugly critters, aren't they?

Susann
January 29th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Yup, possums are uuuu-ggggg-llll-yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

HandsOffItsMine
January 29th, 2014, 08:28 PM
An opossum, they are ugly! Definitely an animal only his mama could love! lol Maybe a little cute when a mama has about 8 babies on her back.

Jean Sewing Machine
January 29th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Like a big rat, and they hiss if you corner them! We had them everywhere we've lived, city or country!

Karena1984
January 29th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Lol I think they are kinda cute!

WVGranny
January 29th, 2014, 09:35 PM
They are kind of ugly, but their hair is so soft like a kittens

Genny
January 29th, 2014, 10:17 PM
I don't like them......:icon_scared:

Miss Sheri
January 29th, 2014, 10:19 PM
They look like HUGE RATS to me. NOT a fan!

bkthomas
January 29th, 2014, 10:29 PM
I saw an awful story about possums taking over this college students apartment....the landlord would do nothing!
The program I saw was quite long, but this is a 3 minute clip that describes what she went through.
But be warned....gross!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fanimal.discovery.com%2Ftv-shows%2Finfested%2Fvideos%2Finfested-opossums-infest-students-home.htm&ei=jqnpUs3IL4fhoATUhYKYDw&usg=AFQjCNEBBOpEq8N2lKha6FpfOj1ip-9CkQ&bvm=bv.60444564,d.cGU

MRoy
January 29th, 2014, 10:33 PM
They also sull up and play dead when they're not hissing at you. Ewwww!

Like a big rat, and they hiss if you corner them! We had them everywhere we've lived, city or country!

Ginny B
January 29th, 2014, 11:04 PM
The first encounter I ever had with a possum was when I first moved to California. It was dark out and I needed to go get something out of the car. My husband was away on a trip and the boys were all sleeping so I just took my dog out with me. She was a good size dog and protective but not mean or anything. I felt safer with her with me. So I go out to the car, get what I need and turn to go back to the house and all of a sudden she is diving at something by the buses and comes up with this possum in her mouth shaking the life out of it! I told her to drop it, she looked at me like "are you sure?" and then did as she was told (she was a good girl). So, now I've got this dead possum on my lawn, 4 sleeping children inside and no husband home to help. I take Pretzel back inside (that was my dogs name), come back out to size up the situation -- how big is it? how am I going to pick it up without touching it, etc. I decide to get a big shovel and a large trash bag. So I go back inside, get my equipment and some rubber gloves and head back outside to deal with it and poof! it disappeared. That is how I learned firsthand what playing possum actually meant.

We have one here that meanders around and we see him (her?) but we don't bother him (her?) I don't think they are that ugly -- just different.

madampolo
January 29th, 2014, 11:07 PM
They have sharp teeth. When I first looked at the picture, I thought it was an armadillo.

bubba
January 30th, 2014, 01:11 AM
It is a possum!!!! I have a couple of stories about these beasts. Years ago when we were getting ready to build a garage, we had a carport that needed to be ripped down. Our son in law and Monkeyman were clearing out stuff from it and ripping it down when we heard a noise that sounded like a ginormous rattlesnake or something inside the storage area. They moved a sheet of plywood and the biggest, ugliest possum I had ever seen was in there! I told them to stop so I could get a picture of it. Well, I raced into the house to grab the camera and our daughter, who had just had a baby, asked what was going on. I told her about the possum. She asked what was going to happen to it, and I said I think your dad is going to kill it (joking). She said what are you going to do if you find a nest of possum eggs? Well, I told her we would have possum omelet for dinner if they did (I knew possums don't lay eggs!) and she believed me and followed me out back to beg them not to kill this thing. I quickly told them about the egg story and by the time she caught up, we were laughing so hard we could hardly see and the possum escaped. We still kid her about that to this day.

Fast forward several years. Monkeyman and I were in Hawaii in the summer about six years ago and we had house/dog sitters. The girl said Oscar (the wiener dog) had been outside when he went racing back in with something. She went to see what he was doing and could not find him. Finally, she looked in his crate and there he was with a possum!!!! Both the stupid dog and the possum were still alive and staring at her. How she got the dog out, I have no clue, but she did and put the crate in the front yard praying the possum would leave, which it did. I laugh about that still too.

Dalronix
January 30th, 2014, 02:10 AM
No animals are ugly just like no humans are either. :)

Was that pic taken in the daytime? In Australia, possums are night animals and can't see properly in the day.

Dalronix
January 30th, 2014, 02:18 AM
Here's one possum that should be very glad I decided to check the oil in the car that day. It must have crawled in there for warmth.

toggpine
January 30th, 2014, 03:27 AM
Ron, your possums are different from our opossums. (Most folks leave off the "O" when they talk about them here.)

The opossums are related to the muskrat. They smell and can be very destructive if they aren't in their natural surroundings. They are moving into the more human inhabited areas since food is much more plentiful. They can and will do damage to people and pets if they feel threatened enough. They can also bring in diseases similar to other rodents.

If they would stay out of my barn and off of my front porch, we'd be fine neighbors.

stationarymom
January 30th, 2014, 03:29 AM
possums can be real nasty animals if you tangle with it.

Iris Girl
January 30th, 2014, 06:39 AM
I think they are kinda cute we found one in our recycling bin once, after snapping a photo we tipped the bin so he could get out. They are night critters and could be rabid if they are out in the daylight.

dwil23
January 30th, 2014, 09:13 AM
An opossum, they are ugly! Definitely an animal only his mama could love! lol Maybe a little cute when a mama has about 8 babies on her back.

Ruby I was going to say the same thing. A momma possum carrying all her baby's on her back is a cute thing. As long as you don't bother them, they are harmless. I also found out that they don't carry rabies, so no worry about that even if they are acting strange. We had one walking around and around in circles for several days. All attempts to get help for it from animal control went unanswered. I was afraid it had rabies, but did a little research and found out their normal body temperature is too low to support the rabies virus.

Bubby
January 30th, 2014, 09:21 AM
It's a possum. We have loads of them around here. They can hiss like a dragon!

WendyI
January 30th, 2014, 11:36 AM
I love opossum! They're North America's only marsupial!

We have some here but not many...only time we usually see them is as roadkill. :(

SallyO'Sews
January 30th, 2014, 01:08 PM
They are kind of ugly, but their hair is so soft like a kittens

Umm... not sure I'd want to get close enough to find out.

Thought they were supposed to hibernate? With the temperatures we've had lately, can't that one tell it's still winter??

K. McEuen
January 30th, 2014, 01:49 PM
The (o)possums in the US are mostly nocturnal, but sometimes are seen during the daylight hours. I'm intrigued by Ron's photo, the Aussie possums almost look like chinchillas.

Genny
January 30th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Here's one possum that should be very glad I decided to check the oil in the car that day. It must have crawled in there for warmth.

Ron yours looks different, its actually kind of cute....

Genny
January 30th, 2014, 02:05 PM
No animals are ugly just like no humans are either. :)

Was that pic taken in the daytime? In Australia, possums are night animals and can't see properly in the day.

This was taken around 5:00pm.
I've been watching and I think its living under my neighbor's back deck. My neighbor has been in a nursing home for the past few years and guess since no ones living there its decided to move in. If I keep seeing it this spring I'll call animal control and they'll bring a live cage down and when they catch it they'll take it to one of our parks and let it loose. I really don't want it around when my little great granddaughters (age 5 and 2) are outside.

Sheena
January 30th, 2014, 02:20 PM
It does look cute, in a ratty sort of way. I'm glad we don't get them in England, though, I don't like the look of those teeth.

mommadeb
January 30th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Opossum!!!!

Suzette
January 30th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Ahh, I think possums are cute! We have one that sits on our fence and just observes the world around him almost every day at dusk. He is so quiet and calm, he just likes to sit and watch. So I guess that puts me in the minority here, but I find a serene beauty in them. :icon_happy: