Better late than never (or so I have been told) . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blondie
    Missouri Star
    • May 2010

Better late than never (or so I have been told) . . .

Okay, so you probably figured out that we had WEATHER. Indeed we did. You have to understand that where I live, we get a few snows a year and more ice than snow. Yesterday was not a major event where we lost power or anything. Schools let out early, the snow coming down was stellar - white powdery beauty than too soon will turn into black nasty looking stuff in the parking lots, road easements etc.
    My middle son, Josh, had a minor fender bender all by himself - meaning that no one else was involved in his Disney Tea Cup ride on his way home. He is fine, just shook up. We cannot get out of our driveway by last evening or even today as it is a hazard to say the least.
    We in NC are just never prepared too well for this type of weather. Even the forecasters got it wrong, since they kept saying we wouldn't get any snow until mid afternoon. Shucks! It started at 9:30 yesterday morning and kept it up all day and into the evening.
    I am certain my quilting sisters here on the forum from NC got much more than we did and hopefully their area was better prepared.
    Where we are is very difficult to forecast because we are not quite mountains and not quite piedmont. We get more Virginia weather than even in town.

Okay, thought I would holler before I head back down to the Twilight Zone, otherwise known as Mom's House. I am enjoying the snow walk. Brisk. Clear day. Cold as a wit - wait, let me rephrase that - a well digger's bottom. It is winter after all. It's supposed to be cold.
    COME ON SPRING! We are almost outta wood for the stove! YIKES.
    Think of me bundled up like the little kid in Christmas Story and laugh like crazy. Yes, I do look comical. Whatever it takes to walk with a big sock on my big toe and a plastic bag over that. Oh yeah. I am nuts but my momma loves me anyway. She loves me so much she gave me a pain pill. ahhhhhhh. what she doesn't know is I have been taking them right along with her, after the can hit my toe. sshhhhh. SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!

Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

• MayinJerset
    Missouri Star
    • May 2012

Re: Better late than never (or so I have been told) . . .

Picturing you bundled up like Ralphie's little brother in The Christmas Story while you are making your way to Mom's. Better you than me, even though we received 2" of snow I'm staying homebound. Mostly because I'm sitting here waiting for my snow boots to arrive, they said today and they better make it as it looks like I'm going to need them a lot this winter. Glad Josh is OK and I know Mom is anxious for you to arrive. May

Comment

• Bubby
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2011

Hi Blondie,

Yes, I saw NC on the news last night. Hopefully things are smoothing out by now. Glad Josh didn't get hurt or hurt anyone else. It can shake a person's soul when you have no control over your vehicle while you are moving/sliding/spinning/rolling, etc.

Stay warm and cozy. Hugs to Mom as well as yourself....
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• HandsOffItsMine
        Missouri Star
        • Aug 2011

Glad Josh is ok, give him a big ol' hug from me. They do like to scare us don't they.

We have our own Snow drama here in Atlanta. Apparently our Major is clueless even with 3 days warning...
        sigpic

Comment

• WendyI
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2012

I thought I would try and make y'all feel better about your wee snow problem...I took this pic last night. Snow came so early this year that we did not manage to get our deck furniture put away! It has never melted enough for us to actually do it. The wee path is so that my 4 lb yorkie can make it out there to do his business (as well as the other two dogs). Unfortunately, he has almost no hair and it's minus 32 degrees today so he doesn't really "go" off the deck. Gross I know but the poor wee guy! Winter can just leave now and I would be perfectly happy about it!

snow deck.jpg

Comment

• WendyI
            Missouri Star
            • Nov 2012

And Blondie...I LOVE that WATCH! I NEED IT!

Comment

• dwil23
              Missouri Star
              • May 2012

Love the watch, too! I need one.

We are waiting for the colder air to hit - but it won't be snowing, not this far south. I read Bonnie Hunter's post about getting to her cabin in this storm yesterday. I don't envy you all trying to move around in the snow, but I sure do envy anyone that has a sewing room with a view, plenty of fabric and no where to go!

Stay warm and Safe, everyone.
              Donna

Comment

• GinnyKNC
                Missouri Star
                • Sep 2012

Glad to hear your ok on the other side of the state Blondie and also glad to know Josh is ok.
                Wendy I would have moved by now lol - that's why I left PA
                Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

• MRoy
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2011

Glad you're all safe...stay warm and comfy!
                  *~* Myrna *~*
                  *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                    Missouri Star
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by WendyI View Post
                    I thought I would try and make y'all feel better about your wee snow problem...I took this pic last night. Snow came so early this year that we did not manage to get our deck furniture put away! It has never melted enough for us to actually do it. The wee path is so that my 4 lb yorkie can make it out there to do his business (as well as the other two dogs). Unfortunately, he has almost no hair and it's minus 32 degrees today so he doesn't really "go" off the deck. Gross I know but the poor wee guy! Winter can just leave now and I would be perfectly happy about it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66865[/ATTACH]
                    Wendy -- Two of my kids moved to the midwest (USA) this year. Being from California, we don't really know ANYTHING about snow, ice, or cold weather. After hearing what they've gone through, I've realized that I have never given Canadians enough credit for the tough weather you live with year after year after year.

You know, I've never met a grumpy Canadian. Every single person has been pleasant and has had a positive attitude. I think that's why I didn't realize you deal with finger-numbing, dangerous WEATHER all the time.

My hat is off to you and to all the Canadians on this forum! In fact, to all Canadians!

And Blondie, you hang in there! I know that I wouldn't know what to do if it snowed where I live.
                    Last edited by GuitarGramma; January 29, 2014, 03:20 PM.
                    Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Ginny B
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2012

I have been watching what's happening down south. Sorry to hear about your son's fender bender. Glad he is ok but that's got to be scary. I have been texting with my brother who is Atlanta and is still at work and will be there until sometime tomorrow afternoon. They had blow up beds brought in and they had a cafe that they kept open for the employees that had to stay. My sister in law is at home all safe and snug. My son's girlfriend had plans to go see her grandpa who has been ill and couldn't get there -- flight cancelled obviously. They live on the coast of Georgia. My sister's boyfriend's brother also lives in Atlanta but they haven't been able to get in touch with him. No answer where he works (they really didn't expect one unless he was stuck there) and no answer at home either. He doesn't have a cell phone (stubborn man who says he doesn't need one) and his brother and my sister are a little concerned. I hope they hear from him soon.

I hope everyone stays safe and warm.
                      Ginny B
                      Levittown, NY

Comment

• Miss Sheri
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2013

Hello sweet friends,
                        Glad to hear from you Blondie, you are missed when you are away for very long.

We don't close schools and businesses here in Utah unless we have a severe combination of snow/wind and ice all at the same time. If it's just snow, and lots of it, which is common here, we mostly know how to work around and through it.

BUT, places that are getting it right now in the deep south, are NOT used to it and do not have the correct equipment to deal with it. For all of you, I pray for your safety, your peace, and well being for you and your loved ones.

Warmest Winter Wishes and Snuggly Quilty Hugs for each of you! ~Sheri
                        sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

• WendyI
                          Missouri Star
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
                          Wendy -- Two of my kids moved to the midwest (USA) this year. Being from California, we don't really know ANYTHING about snow, ice, or cold weather. After hearing what they've gone through, I've realized that I have never given Canadians enough credit for the tough weather you live with year after year after year.

You know, I've never met a grumpy Canadian. Every single person has been pleasant and has had a positive attitude. I think that's why I didn't realize you deal with finger-numbing, dangerous WEATHER all the time.

My hat is off to you and to all the Canadians on this forum! In fact, to all Canadians!
                          LOL! Awwwww...thanks! I guess when you've lived in it your entire life you just acclimate or die...what else can you do? lol. I AM understanding snowbirding now though I can tell you that. It does start to wear you down the older you get. I do feel for those folks who are getting snow in Atlanta though....if you've never had to drive in it, it can be quite an experience I'm sure. It sure is hard to understand though when you've grown up learning to drive in blizzards!

Comment

Working...
                          X