PDA

View Full Version : Here's What I Did

auntiemern
January 27th, 2014, 01:43 AM
When I thought the bereavement quilts I sent to Sue were lost in the mail, never to be seen again, I made up 10 more to send to her. She should be getting those this week. So what would you do, if you sent a package as a gift and it got lost? Would you send another or wait to see what was going to happen? How long would you wait? If it came back, as I have had happen, wouldn't you freak out and rush to the post office to re send it? I would do what ever was in my power to do to get it to who it was supposed to go to. Now days the post office will even come to you to pick them up. DD had this issue this past week, when she sold something on ebay, and part of the label was torn and it came back to her. She spent the extra $ to overnight it, cuz she didn't want to get a bad rep for taking to much time to ship. How would you handle it? I had a tree stand I sold go missing and had to refund the $, because the buyer didn't purchase insurance. I think you have to do what is necessary to be seen as an honest person and not a scammer.

dwil23
January 27th, 2014, 01:48 AM
I think each situation is different and would require a different response. In the case of you daughter and ebay, I would have done the same thing she did. In the case of something that was not an urgent need, I would give it a couple of weeks to find it's way back to you.

kensington
January 27th, 2014, 02:15 AM
Has your 10 shown up yet? I don't know about that ebay thing. I've won many auctions, but I don't sell on there.

auntiemern
January 27th, 2014, 02:19 AM
I don't think so. They are supposed to be there by the 29th. I don't sell much anymore, but would love to find time to get back in to it.
Has your 10 shown up yet? I don't know about that ebay thing. I've won many auctions, but I don't sell on there.

auntiemern
January 27th, 2014, 02:42 AM
My package finally arrived a month after it was first mailed. So what did your friend do? Did she resend it? Or replace what was lost?
I know this very thing happened to someone I know not too long ago, others did not believe it had truly happened and she was unfairly treated. Sadly, it can and does happen. I hope your package is found.

GuitarGramma
January 27th, 2014, 03:55 AM
We had ordered a Christmas gift from a seller on Amazon on December 13. It had insurance and tracking, and the tracking said the item never even showed up at the post office. I contacted the seller to see if he could track it, and bless his heart, he immediately refunded me -- which I hadn't even asked for.

The package eventually arrived. I contacted him again and asked if he'd like me to return it or if that would mess up his accounting. He had me send it back to him, which I was happy to do.

My point is that shipping has become somewhat unreliable. It seems more people are shopping online, and the Big Three (UPS, USPS, FedEx) haven't kept up very well. It makes sending thank you notes all the more important because packages are getting lost more and more frequently.

Monique
January 27th, 2014, 09:17 AM
I sent a parcel to England for Christmas in early November. She received it only two weeks ago. I figured it lost forever. Just glad it got there. Had she not gotten it, I would have sent her another box. It was the SS swap and it would have been hard to replace it, she would have gotten a replacement just the same.

SallyO'Sews
January 27th, 2014, 05:46 PM
My 9-5 job is to solve shipping problems. The first thing you should do when shipping - or ordering - anything is write down or print out the tracking information from the carrier. The post office will give you a receipt with the tracking information on it, as will both FedEx and UPS. In addition, they should be able to tell you about how long it will take for the package to arrive. As a general rule, you can track packages online through UPS, FedEx, and the Postal Service. Do it a couple of times a day, and send the recipient an email to confirm it arrived safely.

If there's a problem (package is lost or damaged), the first thing to do is call the carrier. Give them the tracking number and they will trace it. Some companies only allow the shipper to file a claim, so if you were on the receiving end and something is amiss, contact whoever sent it, and they can contact the carrier.

I'm one who believes that a little communication can go a long way toward making sure everyone is happy. If I knew that a package I had sent did not make it to its intended recipient, I would call or email the carrier, and copy the recipient in, so we could all be in the loop. In a business setting, I would offer to ship a replacement, if they still wanted the product. At my job, sometimes when a package is lost in transit, we ship a replacement, and the next day the original arrives at its destination. In that case, we ask our customer to refuse the second package, and the carrier then returns it to us. Most of the time, people are pretty good about this sort of thing. Life happens, and we all make mistakes (and it's a good thing, too, or I'd be out of a job! :lol:). Again, stay in touch with whoever you're doing business with, and you'll avoid lots of headaches.

Bless you, Marilyn, for all you do! ~ Sally \0/

Sheena
January 27th, 2014, 05:55 PM
I sent a parcel to England for Christmas in early November. She received it only two weeks ago. I figured it lost forever. Just glad it got there. Had she not gotten it, I would have sent her another box. It was the SS swap and it would have been hard to replace it, she would have gotten a replacement just the same.

Yes, got it at last, Monique.

It took just over two months to get here. It took the scenic route.

New York Sue
January 27th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Received your latest shipment today, Marilyn! Four days, this time around!
Thank You!

K. McEuen
January 27th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Yes, got it at last, Monique.

It took just over two months to get here. It took the scenic route.

Ha, that reminds me of the time many, many years ago that my mom flew to Ohio for her brother's funeral. She went to Ohio and her luggage went to Hawaii. She always said her luggage got the better end of that deal.

auntiemern
January 27th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Am very happy to hear that my package got to Sue without issue this time.