PDA

View Full Version : Whooo Hoooooooo

dizzyLiz
January 25th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Just finished my first freezer meal cooking. In under 2 hours I have 5 packages of chili and 1 lasagna for tonight and 4 in the freezer. Anoth half hour for clean up and I have made 10 dinners in 2 1/2 hours. I could really get into this way of cooking.

Mom23
January 25th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Congratulations! I've done the same thing before with crock pot meals. Preparing keeps you on your feet for much of an afternoon but it's well worth the time in the kitchen.

grannyann
January 25th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Oh well all I did was make a banana bread and coffee cake both from scratch and can corn beef hash for tonight.
I got tired just reading all you manage to get done and in a short period of time.

Ginny B
January 25th, 2014, 11:15 PM
I love cooking/prepping a bunch of meals all at once. Yes it is a lot of work at the time but sure does pay off down the road. This week it sure helped when we needed something for Thursday night and I was able to pull some vodka sauce out of the freezer. Cook up some penne real quick and poof, penne a la vodka for dinner.

Today was housecleaning/ closet purging day; tomorrow we will put together a bunch of meals. You had a very productive Liz. Way to go!

Hulamoon
January 25th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Yay! I can't do that in such a short time so I give you big props for that! I made Mexican beans, chicken caccitore and lentil soup in the crock pot this week. I bought a grinder for making turkey meatballs ( doing that right after this) it took all of five mins to grind.

I think I can keep it up, just not in one day. lol

SallyO'Sews
January 25th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Still pretty queasy from the tummy bug I've had :0, but managed to get going on our taxes and do a couple loads of laundry. Best news - I took ground turkey out of the freezer for chili, but DD#6 walked into my house around 5 with her crock-pot filled with the chili her friend made! And the friend's chili is way better than mine! Win-win! :icon_bump:

Very impressed with all you accomplished!

TRLSRL72
January 26th, 2014, 12:21 AM
I really need to try this again. With my crazy work schedule it would be very beneficial to my family. I think I may start a list of what I can do. Thanks for the inspire.

dwil23
January 26th, 2014, 12:32 AM
The only way to go! We do the crockpot freezer meals - so easy to do.

ncgrammie
January 26th, 2014, 01:27 AM
You did good!!! I do a lot of batch cooking on the weekends. I love to make double batches of spaghetti sauce for the freezer and gallons of vegetable soup and chili. If I need to make a lasagna, I will make at least two or more and the rest. Meatloaf is another thing I make a lot of and freeze. I make breakfast for the week too. Usually it will be a big breakfast bowl or quiche and I will just eat on it all week. There are a lot of other sauces and meals I fix ahead and freeze. It is so very handy to have on hand. Once you start doing it on a regular basis, you will find more and more meals you can make ahead and your weekday life will get so much easier.

Hulamoon
January 26th, 2014, 01:36 AM
Does anyone freeze pancakes or waffles? We were a Bisquick family while the kids were little. I would like to try a scratch recipe, one or two little one's with coffee.

ilive2craft2
January 26th, 2014, 01:45 AM
Way to go Liz!!! I have been wanting to do this forever! Going to the dietitian on Monday and taking several print outs with me, so I can figure out which ones will work the best for us and then I am going to be jumping on this band wagon.

Lindagie
January 26th, 2014, 02:16 AM
Does anyone freeze pancakes or waffles? We were a Bisquick family while the kids were little. I would like to try a scratch recipe, one or two little one's with coffee.

I have frozen left over pancakes; then just put them in the toaster or in the mocrowave when I want to eat one or two of them. With some butter and syrup on top they were just fine!

MayinJerset
January 26th, 2014, 02:37 AM
With just the 2 of us and only the fridge freezer I don't make too many meals in advance. What I do is make a meal that feeds us for 2 nights and maybe a lunch, like today I made a pot of carrot soup, half goes into the freezer for another day. DS#3 was taking me out for my Bday but it was snowing so we ordered in, half of our meals were enough to stuff all 3 of us so the other half is for tomorrow's dinner or frozen for next week. Making a bunch of dishes at one time is out for me as I can't stand for a long time so I make one dish or pot at a time. Tomorrow is time for creamy mushroom barley soup and maybe a crock pot chicken dish. Snow and freezing temps have kept me inside a lot more so I'm stocking up the extra meals whenever I can.

I really don't make much beef in the crock pot, recipes with chopped beef come out OK but I find the beef in pot roasts and stew comes out hard and stringy. I tried using a better grade of beef with the same results. I've been shopping for meat for 70 years so I kind of know what a good piece of chuck, round or sirloin looks like. Any ideas how to get some beef stew with meat that is soft to chew and just falls apart after cooking.

Judy, USMC
January 26th, 2014, 03:02 AM
I'm a cheater! I admit it!

Tonight we ordered Spaghetti; 5 meatball family size with Meat Marinara. We ate 1/4 and individually packed up each one of the other 1/4's for the freezer. With only DH and myself I don't do too much pre-cooking but those portions of spaghetti are a treat!

pcbatiks
January 26th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Way to go Liz! I rrrrrrreeeeeaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyy need to do this! Do you have a website or link to recommend?

dizzyLiz
January 26th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Try this site mommysfabulousfins.com
Also you can google crock pot freezer meals.

Beef; I too find it stringy in the crock pot. Roast I always cook in the oven, ///Ground beef precook; stew beef brown before putting in crock pot. Cubed steak with cream of mushroom soup and onion served over rice or noodles; devine

dizzyLiz
January 26th, 2014, 06:07 AM
mommysfabulousfinds.com

Typing in the dark lol

Granny Judy
January 26th, 2014, 07:36 AM
No left over day has happened here in a long time. DD#2 and hubby always takes the left overs in their lunch. Sometimes it is a toss up as to who gets what. LOL.

I do love the crock pot lasagna. I found the recipe at food.com It takes 4 to 5 hours, but is a wonderful HOT meal. And there is enough for BOTH to have in their lunches.

Ginny B
January 26th, 2014, 10:40 AM
I put some red wine in my beef stew this week and the meat was wonderfully tender. I have a recipe for beef bourginon and it calls for red wine and I like the way that comes out so I thought why not try that in my beef stew. I made it in the crock pot and used 2 parts beef broth to 1 part wine. It worked and I ate the meat. I usually just eat the vegetables.