PDA

View Full Version : The last Saturday of January

Monique
January 25th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Here we go about the weather again. WOOHOO it is -10C, 14F this morning. It snowed a little yesterday but this warmer weather won't last long I am afraid. POO!! Come on Spring! Groundhog day is a week from Monday and hopefully he will not see his shadow and we will have an early spring.

I know that we are all really missing Sandy and Blondie and Karen has told us that nothing bad has happened. I hope they soon return.

I have to work this morning again, but only for a short time. I will clean up the place.

Have a wonderful weekend friends.

dwil23
January 25th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Good Morning! It's a little chilly here this morning - about 45. I hear that by mid week we are going to have our coldest weather of the season.

Today is moving day #1. DS is coming from the East Coast to help. It also happens to be his 33rd Birthday. What a way to spend it. I have had my things in storage and today we will move all the boxes and plastic tubs. Monday I have hired movers to get the furniture and heavy stuff - moving day #2. Then I will take a breath, get those things organized and will deal with the things here at my sister's house where I have been living.

Hope everyone has a great day!

buckeyequilter
January 25th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Good morning...

Today is a sewing day!! I have to trim and put the binding on a baby quilt and then I have a tote bag to make. I also need to finishing ripping the stitching out of a quilt and redo that.

We got some snow and wind but not sure how much. I saw on Facebook where someone got stuck in a snowdrift in the middle of the road. I AM SO READY FOR SUMMER!!

Well going to get busy...have a wonderful day! Stay warm....prayers and hugs to all

Cathy F
January 25th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Morning all,
Up early this morning, Saturday is breakfast day with our friends, and although I enjoy their company I really don't want to get dressed and go out in this cold weather, rather stay snuggled in my pj's and warm robe!
I can't remember having winters like this.
Going up to the sewing room today I want to piece the backing for a quilt I want to send out to be quilted. I found some beautiful chocolate brown flannel that has a textured pattern that looks like wool. I love my flannel backed quilts in the winter!
Hugs to all that need a few extra today. Gotta get going and brave the cold weather will check in later to read some more posts.

Granny Judy
January 25th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Morning all, It's the week end and I'll be going out with DD#2 soon for groceries. It's my "exercise" day. I walk more on this day than any other day of the week. Except when DD#1 shows up and we the marathon vintage store shop hop... She won't show up til the weather has greatly improved (Floridians!!)

Good luck with the moving, Donna. I sure wouldn't want to be moving this time of year.. but one does what one must!! Take care of yourself and feed the birthday boy a lot of Cake!!

Monique, thanks for the news on our Family.. Sandy & Blondie. I know there are a few others that are Missing from the daily threads, but hoping they are all well and not having major "life" issues. Prayers being said for all.

The insulation was done in one day... and MAN!! WHAT A BIG DIFFERENCE!! Forgive me for shouting. I am now able to sew in comfort day and night!! Got my closet organized and set up the way I need it. Still have to get some shelving units put in. But that will happen in time. I went around in my sock feet and didn't suffer frost bite. Amazing what foam and rolls of bat in an unused space will do for a house!.

Hugs to all today as you go about life,, remember to smile and hug someone. It makes them wonder what you are up to----

Jean Sewing Machine
January 25th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Good morning all! Yes it's cold, I guess I'm just resigned to say that. So far, I haven't had to go out early in the day since this bitter cold hit, but if I do, I have warm stuff to wear.

Yesterday I got to sew a bunch. I made some sample blocks for a friend to look at to pick a design for two quilts for her daughters. She chose irish chain and Xs and Os. They will be made from the same fabric line but different patterns. I also started an Xs and O s quilt for myself. I got one charm pack snowballed and want to get the second one done and start the layout and piecing. It should be cute, making it from some long forgotten charm pack I don't even know why I bought! Last night my friend and I sewed costumes. She is costuming Music Man with a cast of 40! Yikes! That's a huge job! Music Mn was the first big musical I costumed, but we had 55 Iowans to dress. It about killed me, but I survived it, and agreed to do more shows! I'm in the 40s now, 40+ shows under my belt and the big ones are a real challenge to complete!

I am waiting for several packages from MSQC so I can get tarted on my quilts. I stalk the mailman every day. I got the backing yesterday from fabric.com, now waiting for 3 more packages before I can get started. Come on, USPS!

Mpyles
January 25th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Good morning all! Actually it's a great morning! I don't have to work today!!! Wooohooo!any time you work more than the weekly 5 days your day is saved for the next week or so and you get 3 days off...I am off this week and next 3 days! Guess that's the bonus if a long week! It is really nice being off on a Saturday like a normal person!

Monique, enjoy your day...hope it's a short one! Donna, sweet son to help...there are many that wouldn't! Don't wear yourself out! Shirley...I'm gonna have a sew day too!! Cathy, enjoy your breakfast! Bundle up!! Judy...enjoy your trip to the grocery store! I hate the grocery store! DH usually goes here.

My gratitude thought for the day....I'm grateful for the ability to choose, so I guess my freedom! I can't imagine a world where you don't have it...but it wasn't that long ago that her in the states it exhisted and unfortunately currently around the world.

Everyone, enjoy your day!!

Mpyles
January 25th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Good morning all! Yes it's cold, I guess I'm just resigned to say that. So far, I haven't had to go out early in the day since this bitter cold hit, but if I do, I have warm stuff to wear.

Yesterday I got to sew a bunch. I made some sample blocks for a friend to look at to pick a design for two quilts for her daughters. She chose irish chain and Xs and Os. They will be made from the same fabric line but different patterns. I also started an Xs and O s quilt for myself. I got one charm pack snowballed and want to get the second one done and start the layout and piecing. It should be cute, making it from some long forgotten charm pack I don't even know why I bought! Last night my friend and I sewed costumes. She is costuming Music Man with a cast of 40! Yikes! That's a huge job! Music Mn was the first big musical I costumed, but we had 55 Iowans to dress. It about killed me, but I survived it, and agreed to do more shows! I'm in the 40s now, 40+ shows under my belt and the big ones are a real challenge to complete!

I am waiting for several packages from MSQC so I can get tarted on my quilts. I stalk the mailman every day. I got the backing yesterday from fabric.com, now waiting for 3 more packages before I can get started. Come on, USPS!

Jean, you are a wonder to me!! So much energy and full of life! Have a great day sweet lady!!

Jean Sewing Machine
January 25th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Jean, you are a wonder to me!! So much energy and full of life! Have a great day sweet lady!!thanks, Mary! You are so sweet! I must applaud you for your work to keep my FAVORITE FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS going strong!

CrazyMtnLady
January 25th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Good Morning everyone. It is a balmy 36* this morning..much better than the 2* we had yesterday. ;)

Hubby took the truck into the mechanic yesterday and I got to stay home and clean...yippee! But at least the truck is running a bit better. He didn't get home until about 10pm last night though. After they worked on the truck they went to the mechanic's house to work on his well and pipes and of course drink a few beers.. LOL....at least he brought me home some beer too.

Hope everyone has a great day
Hugs and prayers to all.

Ginny B
January 25th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday. Windy and cold here this morning and we are expecting a small bit of snow later on today. I don't have to go anywhere today so I will just stay in my pj's for a bit longer and then switch to my nice warm sweats. :)
DH will probably head to the store to pick up a few things we may need for the week but I will remain in my nice cozy house.

We are supposed to work on going through our closet in the dining room today. We had started the "go through one closet a weekend" project last year but then when the nice weather came, we mostly worked on projects outside in the spring/summer. So, we are going to pick up where we left off. We have too much "stuff" and need to "de-stuff". When we had our kitchen redone over a year ago now, I put a bin and a couple of small boxes of "stuff" from the kitchen in there. Since then, I have only gone in there to look for one thing so my thought is we don't really need a lot of what I put in there and it should go to someone else.

Do need to get some sewing done this weekend too. I have an order for 2 tablerunners and also just got one for 4 potholders for St. Patty's Day. DH brought in the ones I made last week for a co-worker of his and another co-worker saw them and ordered too. :)
I want to work on a couple of pillowcases and crayon rolls for the Cyber Elves group. Then I will have 4 sets made. I also need to get some more spring/ summer things made for my craft booth in CT. We will be taking a trip up there in a couple of weeks.

I am glad to hear that nothing majorly bad has happened to keep our Blondie and Sandy away from the forum. Sure miss them. Hope they get to return soon. In the meantime, we will keep on smiling. :)

I'll check in later. Have a great day everyone and keep warm.

Bubby
January 25th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Good Morning,

Everyone is in such a good mood today. So am I....I finished working on a jury last evening. It was a 2-day trial that went long hours. They released us after dark both nights and then there was the drive home. Unless they pull my name out of the pool again I should be okay for a bit.

We have errands to run today plus a trip to Cuba. It's been a few weeks since we've worked there.

Blondie and Sandy are doing just fine....nothing to worry about.

I'm off to fix us some breakfast and spend some time with the Girls. They were a handful for Jeff while I was gone. They cried a lot and wanted outside constantly to watch for me.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day.....

Shirley
January 25th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Good morning everyone!
Warmer weather here today- 50's. It's been so darn cold.
I'm making some hearts for my DD's & DGD's valentine packages. They look like crazy quilt hearts, they are cute and gives me a chance to check out my decorative stitches. I'll add a little love note and put it with the rest of their goodies. I'm planning on starting a new quilt soon, I keep putting it off, I think I am intimidated, and afraid it is too challenging .. I keep finding other projects to do. Does anyone else have this problem???? Oh well, I'll get up the nerve here pretty soon.

Prayer and hugs to everyone and I hope you all have a good weekend.

MayinJerset
January 25th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Hello everyone, Getting here a bit later than usual today. Thank you Monique for beginning our days for us. So glad we heard that Blondie and Sandy are OK, sometimes are 'real' lives get really busy.

Everyone seems busy or they just feel like hanging in their pj's for the day and skipping the cold outside. I've done that for a few days mainly because I pulled a muscle in the back of my left leg and it really hurt to step on my left foot. Feeling much better today which is good because DS#3 is planning to drive down for a visit. Asked him to check weather in Rhode Is. and Conn. before leaving Mass to make sure no big snow is expected, we could always postpone until next weekend.

Judy glad your sewing area is nice a warm now. My sewing room is cold in the winter because it is in the north corner of the house. DH has been promising to reinsulate the closet for me to stop the draft but that job is somewhere on the bottom of his TO DO LIST. For now I pile my bags of batting behind the door to stop the draft and keep some cloth totes filled with scraps in front of it.

Like Jean I keep checking the mail box for my M* order, need to get started on a quilt for guild's show in May. Hope to have it quilted for me and local quilters get real busy this time of the year so I need to finish it ASAP. If I finish it quickly I might send it to M*.

Time for more coffee but no pj's or sweats today as DS#3 is taking me, and DH too, out tonight for a Bday dinner.

quiltnforfun
January 25th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Good morning everyone. I am going to go to the lqs this am. Looking for binding fabric. Then home to sew. Looking forward to a sew day at home. Have a friend coming over later. She is working on her first quilt. First time to ever use a machine and really enjoying it. So need to get moving here. Nice to be off work today. Tomorrow it is back to work for the next five days.

SuzyQue
January 25th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Spent a lovely day yesterday in a new to me quilting center.....learned a lot, dreamed even more! Then off to help DD pick some new furniture for her first apartment....no buying yet.....but lots of decisions made! Out to lunch and brought dinner home, so no cooking for the day.....just lots of relaxing fun!

Today is my mom's 86th birthday. We will take her flowers and then take her out for a meal. Should be fun day with little cooking again! I hope to cut out leaders tonight!!! This was to be the weekend to mount these and I need to do all the hemming and prep work first. I have some great ideas, so just need to get busy!

ilive2craft2
January 25th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Good Morning all! Still in my jammies all nice and warm listening to the wind blow. Need to go get groceries and gas up the vehicle, but that can wait until this afternoon. Going to get back in the sewing room and finish painting! Got everything moved again so that I can reach all of the last wall. It will need 2 coats, so I should get off my duff and get started! Can't wait to get everything moved back and organized.

Glad to hear that our Blondie and Sandy are good - I have been missing their smiling faces. Hugs and prayers to all!

Simply Quilting
January 25th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Good Morning!!! The wind has died down here although it is still cold. I've been working on house work and laundry. My main goal for today is to try to get my order list around for M*. This will be my stock up for a while minus any daily deals that I can't live without.
My sweet husband said I could go over to the store on Tuesday to go shopping then out to lunch with a friend while he watches the children. So excited to get to spend hours fabric shopping to be able to see and feel the fabric.

Shirley, I have two projects that I keep putting off for fear that I can't get them to turn out.