PDA

View Full Version : Batik D4P Block Swap!

tdimitrov77
January 13th, 2014, 03:19 AM
I have started a new GROUP here is some info on it.....:D

BATIK DISAPPEARING FOUR PATCH swap - Sign-ups open until January 30th. Every other month I will take votes as to the new block and the theme. This is going to be loads of fun with a wide variety of fabrics in each swap. Sew much fun! This swap is open to EVERYONE!!!! You can choose which swaps you want to do! If there is one you don't like then you are not obligated to do it.

Here’s how it works: we will all be making 8 ½” unfinished D4P quilt blocks. One set equals 6 D4P blocks. You may make as many as 6 sets of 6 blocks each which would be thirty-six (36) D4P blocks. Wow! That’s a lot of quilt blocks. Imagine how cool that quilt will be??? I know! Right??? If you are making one set, you may either make all the blocks using the same batik fabric(s) or you may make each block using a different batik fabric(s). If you are making more than one set (up to 6 sets), please use a different batik fabric in each set.

January’s theme is BATIKS. Please use ONE BATIK FABRIC AND SOLID BLACK PER BLOCK.

In case you’ve never made a D4P quilt block, here are the instructions:

Disappearing 4 Patch Quilt Block Tutorial - YouTube

Please use 100% cotton fabric to make your quilt blocks. Please PM me by JANUARY 30th to sign up. Please provide:

• Screen name
• Real name
• Number of sets you are making/sending
• Email address

After I have received all of your information I will add you to the list of swappers and PM you a message with mailing information. BE SURE to include the USPS package, filled out with your mailing information, in your package to me. Set(s) of D4P quilt blocks will be due by FEBRUARY 28th. If your blocks are not to me by the date due, you will not be included in the swap. If I get them after the date due I will send them back to you in your envelope. There will be no exceptions, so please make sure to mail out your package in plenty of time.

Mailing: please put your blocks in a large ziploc baggie along with your name and address on/in the bag. This will help protect your blocks in case your package is damaged and will help me to organize everything better. Please purchase a USPS Priority Mail® Padded Flat Rate Envelope (9 ½” x 12 ½”) for $5.95 and fill out your name/address etc. This will be your return envelope so be sure to put this in your package as well!

I hope we can get a good size group together for this! I know I work better with a deadline...especially if there are other people involved...it gives me the extra kick in the rear to get things done! We can get several nice quilts done this year!

coppy777
January 13th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I joined!! I can't wait to get started on my blocks!!

tdimitrov77
January 13th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Yay!! I too can't wait!

tdimitrov77
January 14th, 2014, 01:42 AM
Bump!!! Come on now!! Can we get some more people in this group?

Momofmonsters5
January 14th, 2014, 02:23 AM
Two questions before I join. Do you provide the pattern for the block to measure 8 1/2" and I don't think they have the padded envelopes here, is there an option 2? I'm not international, I'm APO thanks!!!

Annabelle013
January 14th, 2014, 02:29 AM
Signed up. Sounds fun!!!

tdimitrov77
January 14th, 2014, 02:54 AM
Two questions before I join. Do you provide the pattern for the block to measure 8 1/2" and I don't think they have the padded envelopes here, is there an option 2? I'm not international, I'm APO thanks!!!

I have one of Jenny's tutorials available...which makes this block much easier! This will end with a 9 and 1/4 inch block. So I have changed it in the group...unfortunately I can not edit the above post for some reason. If we all use Jenny's tutorial then they will all come out the same size. Sorry about the confusion..I was planning on using a different tutorial originally...which ended with the 8.5 block...and then I found Jenny's which was much easier.
As far as the shipping options... We can certainly come up with something... I could also check here to see what the cheapest method of sending back to you would be.... and then let you know the amount to send a money order for? I'm not sure what other options we have..but I am open to ideas on that one.

tdimitrov77
January 14th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Disappearing 4 Patch Quilt Block Tutorial - YouTube (http://youtu.be/jA-10A_Uc6k)

tdimitrov77
January 14th, 2014, 03:32 AM
To revise the instructions for the blocks...We will be using Jenny's tutorial...which uses 5" squares...and will end up with a 9 and 1/4" unfinished block. I had planned on a different tut and changed when I saw that Jenny's is much easier... Sorry for the confusion on this.

I have started a new GROUP here is some info on it.....:D

BATIK DISAPPEARING FOUR PATCH swap - Sign-ups open until January 30th. Every other month I will take votes as to the new block and the theme. This is going to be loads of fun with a wide variety of fabrics in each swap. Sew much fun! This swap is open to EVERYONE!!!! You can choose which swaps you want to do! If there is one you don't like then you are not obligated to do it.

Here’s how it works: we will all be making 8 ½” unfinished D4P quilt blocks. One set equals 6 D4P blocks. You may make as many as 6 sets of 6 blocks each which would be thirty-six (36) D4P blocks. Wow! That’s a lot of quilt blocks. Imagine how cool that quilt will be??? I know! Right??? If you are making one set, you may either make all the blocks using the same batik fabric(s) or you may make each block using a different batik fabric(s). If you are making more than one set (up to 6 sets), please use a different batik fabric in each set.

January’s theme is BATIKS. Please use ONE BATIK FABRIC AND SOLID BLACK PER BLOCK.

In case you’ve never made a D4P quilt block, here are the instructions:

Disappearing 4 Patch Quilt Block Tutorial - YouTube

Please use 100% cotton fabric to make your quilt blocks. Please PM me by JANUARY 30th to sign up. Please provide:

• Screen name
• Real name
• Number of sets you are making/sending
• Email address

After I have received all of your information I will add you to the list of swappers and PM you a message with mailing information. BE SURE to include the USPS package, filled out with your mailing information, in your package to me. Set(s) of D4P quilt blocks will be due by FEBRUARY 28th. If your blocks are not to me by the date due, you will not be included in the swap. If I get them after the date due I will send them back to you in your envelope. There will be no exceptions, so please make sure to mail out your package in plenty of time.

Mailing: please put your blocks in a large ziploc baggie along with your name and address on/in the bag. This will help protect your blocks in case your package is damaged and will help me to organize everything better. Please purchase a USPS Priority Mail® Padded Flat Rate Envelope (9 ½” x 12 ½”) for $5.95 and fill out your name/address etc. This will be your return envelope so be sure to put this in your package as well!

I hope we can get a good size group together for this! I know I work better with a deadline...especially if there are other people involved...it gives me the extra kick in the rear to get things done! We can get several nice quilts done this year!

tdimitrov77
January 14th, 2014, 04:49 AM
WOW.... so now to revise the revise...lol
It looks like I have not had enough sleep as of late....and my brain is not working well.
The unfinished block will still be 8.5" as stated originally. Please use Jenny's tutorial which uses 5" squares(x4) to make the blocks.

To revise the instructions for the blocks...We will be using Jenny's tutorial...which uses 5" squares...and will end up with a 9 and 1/4" unfinished block. I had planned on a different tut and changed when I saw that Jenny's is much easier... Sorry for the confusion on this.

redcaboose1717
January 14th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Your link for this 4 patch tutorial doesn't open.....here's the YouTube video below, just thought I would be helpful !

Disappearing 4 Patch Quilt Block Tutorial - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jA-10A_Uc6k)

tdimitrov77
January 14th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Thank you!

redcaboose1717
January 14th, 2014, 06:02 PM
You're welcome......I just thought I would help out.....

redcaboose1717
January 14th, 2014, 06:06 PM
When you want to add a link ( from YouTube ) right click at the top of the screen while the video is running and "copy" :
Copy URL
Then come back to your post, and "ADD" it to your post by clicking PASTE.......

Just thought I would add this info in case you didn't know how to do it :-0)

tdimitrov77
January 14th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Thank you! I did do it on the group page...but I did not do it here..I forgot to do it here after I copied and pasted. oppsie...now it won't let me edit.

redcaboose1717
January 14th, 2014, 07:41 PM
I just made my first disappearing 4-patch block. It has a couple flaws in it, but that's okay, practice makes perfect right ?
My DH has my iPhone otherwise I would take a photo to show everyone ! Maybe later I will take a photo of ...anyway, I am really pleased wit it.

tdimitrov77
January 14th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Yay! Was it pretty easy to make? Don't think of them as flaw...they are "personality" lol Can't wait to see a pic of it! Are you going to be joining in the swap with us? We have a group started over in the "Group" Tab... There are three of us already...and you can add pictures there as well. I hope you join!:D:D

tdimitrov77
January 16th, 2014, 12:17 AM
Bumping up.... We have a few participants already....can we get some more?

redcaboose1717
January 16th, 2014, 01:40 AM
I didn't think it was too hard.....your right...they are flaws ....but part of my personality.....My grandma used to say that anything handmade that had mistakes in it was made from love......she knew every "flaw" in everything she made....she was an awesome seamstress ( used a treadle sewing machine. My dad offered to buy her a new machine, she declined, and used her Singer until she passed away.) loved to crochet, made all our hats & mittens ( either knitted or crocheted ) ......she didn't have much but she had a lot of love. Grandma lived right next door to us when I was little....my dad built the little home she and grandpa lived in, it was fun having them live right next door !

redcaboose1717
January 16th, 2014, 01:41 AM
No problem.....just glad to be of help ! :)

tdimitrov77
January 16th, 2014, 01:49 AM
Jacqueline,
We added onto my grandparents house and lived with them for many years when I was growing up...and I treasure every memory I have of my Grandmother. She taught me so much about sewing and quilting! It sounds like your Grandma was a wonderful person! I think we are pretty lucky to have had that time with them.

April R
January 16th, 2014, 01:55 AM
how many blocks does one set make? I would like the participate but I am confused about the number of blocks we are making

April R
January 16th, 2014, 01:59 AM
another question, I found a batik that I really like, but there is no description of the fabric content. How do I know if it is 100% cotton or not?
https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/8460/benartex/bali-batiks/mystic-batik-lighthouse-aqua-yardage

tdimitrov77
January 16th, 2014, 02:37 AM
Hi April!
We would Love to have you join! One set is 6 blocks. You can make as many as 6 sets which would be 36 blocks total. Each block should have one batik and solid black. Each set of 6 can be the same batik or different. But if you are making more than one set each set should be a different batik. That way we get variety. You will get back all different blocks....each with a different batik.

So if you decide to do one set(6 blocks) you will get back 6 different blocks and you can use them to make a table runner, wall hanging, or some small project. Or if you want to make a lap size quilt you can do all 36. It really depends on what you would want to make with your blocks.

As far as the Batik fabric goes...I know that Bali is 100% cotton. Most if not all the batiks I have seen are 100%. That one is really pretty that you like!

We have the group started in the groups section so you can join there.

tdimitrov77
January 16th, 2014, 02:43 AM
I hope that answered your questions....I'm sorry I made it so confusing! If you have any more questions feel free to PM me as well.

April R
January 16th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Thanks!:D.