PDA

View Full Version : It's Boxing Day!

Monique
December 26th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Well Christmas is over for another year. We will have another one today when Phil, Jodi and the girls arrive. We had a very relaxing morning here. We had Doug, our neighbour over for breakfast. One of Greg's friends was over for a Rum and Eggnog. We then departed for my Mother-in-law's for lunch. She is only 15 minutes away. A beautiful afternoon was had.

The only sewing stuff I got was from my secret sister swap. A new coffee machine, a new bread machine (I have worn out 2 now), my favorite perfume, slippers, two sweaters were amongst the gifts. I know hubby and Greg both enjoyed their gifts.

As I said the rest of the crew arrives sometime today. We have our annual boxing day fondue at my sister-in-laws tonight. The only downside is I have to work tomorrow.

I would like to attend a wake tomorrow. A fellow from town here passed away last weekend. He literally drank himself to death. So sad. His wife had left him a while back. Very nice lady, we got along so well. His family never liked her to start with and they are now giving her more grief. One brother was reported as saying his dead brother got what he deserved. HOW SAD! These 5 brothers and 1 sister do not get along at all and they all live in close proximity to each other. How many of these hypocrites will be at the service tomorrow. Just makes my blood boil. That is my rant for today, sorry.

Have a wonderful day friends.

Bubby
December 26th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Morning Everyone,

We had prime rib for dinner yesterday, which turned out great, but today I feel like I ate the whole thing. I seldom eat more than a bite or two of meat and yesterday I overindulged. We had a nice day...very quiet except for a few calls from family and friends. It's back to work this morning for Jeff. The Girls had a ball with their bags of toys and treats.

Today I'm doing nothing other than a little laundry and sewing. We have enough leftovers to feed an army, so cooking will be minimal for a few days.

I hope everyone received their SS boxes and got loads of special gifts!

Have a great day....

Mpyles
December 26th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Good morning!
We had a great Christmas here to! I think the best gift was Sheldon's gift from grandma...which was a cricket filled with catnip and it chirped like a cricket. He was in heaven! Lol

Off to work today to feed all those out spending there gift cards and perusing the after Christmas sales!

Everyone have a great day!!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 26th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Good morning! Hope you all had a good Christmas! Mine was uber quiet, all the hoopla in this family happened over the weekend. All grandkids were home, gifts gone, kitchen somewhat clean, so I napped a lot! Then my brother and I went to see a movie last night. Wow, that place was packed! We saw American Hustle, which was a very interesting movie.

I've got the grandkids for the next two days. We need to find things to do, today it will be playing with their new Christmas toys. We'll have fun.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rhonda D. Matzker
December 26th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Well my cats should be happy, they LOVE boxes. LOL :lol:

MRoy
December 26th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Good morning! The Christmas tree, Santas, and snowmen were all put away first thing this morning. Outside decorations will stay up until after New Year's Day. Looking forward to getting back to routine.

Sandy Navas
December 26th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I, too, am looking so forward to 'back to normal' whatever that means. I've been on a real downer and don't like that at all so I won't elaborate. I did try to convince Zoe last night that she should go to bed early so St. Nick could come. She insisted he'd already been here but I shared that the stockings were all empty and there were no presents under the tree. She sure didn't buy that one.

I hope everyone is in a recovery mode and feeling the joys of the season.

CrazyMtnLady
December 26th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Good morning everyone. Hope you all had a great day yesterday.
I fixed an awesome boiled dinner with Ham, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, celery, turnips and onions. It was Yummy. We will be eating leftovers for a few days.
I got some wonderful gifts from my SS and can't wait to share pics with you.
The other day a forum friend of DH's came over and brought his wife. It was great to meet her. She is a quilter also. I told her about this site and I am hoping she joins us soon. I am bad with names but I believe her name was Sherry. I told her this is a great place so I am sure we will see her here. She does her quilting by hand.
Going to be lazy today.

Hugs and prayers to all.

ilive2craft2
December 26th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Lazy day so far for me - slept in, sitting here sipping a cuppa, watching quilting shows on the DVR (Fons & Porter, Sewing with Nancy and It's Sew Easy) - great to get caught up and enjoy laziness at the same time.

House is still a wreck, but won't take too long - just boxes and paper.

Sandy, I am in the same funk today - we do all of that work and planning for that one day and then it is over in a flash....

After this next episode and another cuppa, I am going to go stick a small ham and a turkey breast into the oven and then tackle the boxes and wrapping paper. Then maybe into the sewing room for some fun - sewing always brightens my day!

buckeyequilter
December 26th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Well the festivities are over and I'm ready to get back to 'normal' also. Happy Boxing Day to all that are celebrating.

I slid my way in to work this morning. I didn't know the roads were icy and came upon a curve and slid around it...still wasn't sure, then there was a semi coming towards me....driving real slow. So I slowed down - got into town and just did a couple of small slides when taking off. Turning into the parking was fun....well sliding into the parking lot actually. I guess several employees slid past. One of the women I work with totaled her car this morning - she wasn't hurt. Just got back from lunch and the roads are de-iced now.

When I get home I am going to get my sister's quilt out and work on that for awhile and then when I go in the house later I'm going to work on the one for MIL. I just want to get them both done and then I'm going to start on Christmas presents for next year. I think the first thing I'm going to try is a tote bag with a zipper (will have to look up Jean's instructions). The tote bags I made were well received this year...so there'll be more for next year.

Well need to get back to work. Have a wonderful day!! Prayers and hugs

bhaggerty
December 26th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Happy Boxing Day to all!
We are still in our pajamas today here! Still enjoying the Christmas spirit!
We had steak for dinner last night, and will plan on Prime rib for New Years Day!
We had a wonderful Christmas. We all watched Christmas Vacation together. That movie never gets old! LOL!
Loved all my SS gifts. Loved all my other gifts as well. My favorite has to be our family gift which was a Sonic Ice maker.
Have to go back to work tomorrow, so today is laundry, laundry and more laundry (haven't done it for awhile because was too busy getting ready for Christmas!) Boy, 3 kids can generate a lot of dirty clothes!

Sandy Navas
December 26th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Checking back in for the evening. Today has been a much better day for me. I did get to my sewing room, cleaned, did some 'putting away' rearranging, vacuuming . . . and then was asked to make a special case for Michelle's new Kindle (would you believe we know her 'old' one is in the house but we've been searching for 4 1/2 months and just can't find it). The bag turned out spectacular and she was so heavily involved in the construction. Moments like that bring me joy. Then Amanda (our oldest who is expecting a SON sometime in the next few weeks) came and asked me to make an 'equipment' bag for inside "Ezra's Diaper Bag" - and she picked some very Urban Skull type fabric - it turned out GREAT. I then took the time to put together my personal present - a machine pad with pockets for my special scissors, ripper, screwdriver, and thumb drive (for embroidery patterns). Tomorrow? MACHINE COVERS!! (Needed badly).

I was just sharing with Al and thought I had not told my forum friends (If you get sick of hearing about my absolutely stupendous, and brilliant granddaughters just ignore this). Earlier in the month Emily and Rita asked me to print out a calendar for them. Zoe saw theirs and wanted one but it was very late and I was tired and after questioning she let me know she only wanted to mark off the days until Christmas. I think this was way back about the 4th or 5th of December. The next day Momma shared Zoe's calendar with me. Zoe had marked big "X's" on EVERY day until Christmas. Momma asked her why she had marked them all and Zoe told her that was so she didn't have to remember every morning to get up and mark off another day. Kids, gotta love them. They are what puts the sparkles in our lives.

dizzyLiz
December 26th, 2013, 10:20 PM
I had a longggggggggg day today, Dr. appointment at 7:50 am, work at 11, just got home. This puppy is whooped. We had a wonderful Christmas. I worked Christmas eve, came home to dinner made by DD & BF, DH did all the cleaning......first time in my life all I had to do was show up LOL. Friends joined us for dinner. After friends went home we did "Santa" with DD & BF. We all laughed so hard at Sally playing with the wrappings. Nothing as funny as a puppy. Christmas morning found us at my Dad's for breakfast, my brother and sister were there as well. It was strange but nice for us to be together without children everywhere. DH came home around lunchtime, watched some tv and napped. Christmas dinner was at my best friends parent's house. Since my Mom passed that has been a new tradition. I only had to cook a baked mac n cheese for the whole holiday, I could get used to that LOL. Oh also had a morning call from DD & DGD in Tacoma. Was a truly nice holiday, just wish I had more time off work......DH is off thru 1/2, I have to work most of the time. My SS out did herself. My gifts were lovely and so thoughtful, the icing on top is my SS shares her name with my Mom. Thank you so very much Judy.

Love,
Liz