PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Gift

auntiemern
December 26th, 2013, 01:23 AM
I actually had 4. The super special gifts from the grand kids pick out all by them selves. But the one that made me cry was the Grandmothers Bracelet I received from DH. It has all 3 of the DGK's birthstones and my daughters. So special. Maybe tomorrow I will feel like taking pics. Highly doubtful though, the way I am feeling.

ilive2craft2
December 26th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Awwww how sweet!

My sister tried getting me some precuts of the Downton Abbey fabrics and could not find any in stock in the US, so she ended up calling the UK to order them. They will be here soon. I am so touched that she went so far to get me some fabric - the card she handed me talked about feeding my addictions... :)

DH and I got each other a queen size bed - we had a full size before - boy does it make a difference.

New York Sue
December 26th, 2013, 01:36 AM
HUGE! EPIC.
I remember that day....

Genny
December 26th, 2013, 01:36 AM
My husband gave me a software program for my embroidery machine. Its called "Edit N Stitch" by Amazing Designs. I've wanted a program to edit my embroidery designs for a long time but they can be so expensive so when I seen this one for a reasonable price he gave it to me for Christmas. I haven't installed it yet, probably do it tomorrow.

Hope you get to feeling better soon Marilyn.

Hulamoon
December 26th, 2013, 01:58 AM
We don't really exchange gifts anymore. I just buy for the grandkids. So a few of my favorites was from my SS here. Too many to mention, but I received the most unusual chicken (don't laugh) panel. My dd just loved it too and since there is a repeat I'm going to give her the other half. Thank you SS! We can't share pics until the 28th, so I can't show all the wonderful things I got :)

The one that shocked me the most was from DH. We are sort of separated right now, but he bought me a car stereo. Mine has been out for over a year. I was a little speech less until I had to ask are you going to put it in for me. lol

kensington
December 26th, 2013, 05:07 AM
2 of my fav's would be that just as I predicted, my FIL gave me the money I need to go to the M* quilt retreat in Oct. And the second was my daughter gave me 2 gift certificates to M* to spend at the retreat. If I stick to the plan, I will ask for more Gift cards to M* for my Birthday and Mothers day and I should be set come Oct! WOOT!

But the other would be the 1 carat diamond pendant dh picked out and bought for me... Yep.. Diamonds are a girl's best friend! I may just go ahead and ask for that Tiara next year to go with it! LOL.

MomGram
December 26th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Oh I got a picture frame that said "Love At First Sight" with a 3D ultrasound picture of my first grand baby. Now that holiday sewing is done time to start getting ready for her arrival.

bubba
December 26th, 2013, 05:24 AM
My husband and I only bought gifts for the grandkid this year. The adult kids did a white elephant exchange amongst themselves and my husband and I came to Hawaii for ours. What better way than to spend the day at the beach in the sun reading a good book!! Oh, and there was that one guy in the speedo........:0

GuitarGramma
December 26th, 2013, 06:00 AM
But the other would be the 1 carat diamond pendant dh picked out and bought for me... Yep.. Diamonds are a girl's best friend! I may just go ahead and ask for that Tiara next year to go with it! LOL.

Judging from your avatar, tiaras suit you very well! :D

mamaquilt
December 26th, 2013, 06:07 AM
We have developed a gift system in our family. Each year every member is to pick out another member to get that person a special gift. First of all it does not feed the commercial Xmas shopping, it reduces the costs, you have more time to choose just the right gift and so on.
this year our youngest DD picked me and I got a book and a gift certificate for the local fabric and quilt store. She knows me allright! That way I may choose throu out the year and always think of her.
Next year I'll have our DSL and I already have a gift ready, which I bought a couple of years ago, when I thought I might need it some day. So the next Christmas should be no problem at all.
Now I have to look at the pictures we took and organize them a bit.
Have a nice relaxing, playing or reading day

Jean Sewing Machine
December 26th, 2013, 07:19 AM
My son made me a bulletin/whiteboard for my kitchen. Handmade is always best!

Iris Girl
December 26th, 2013, 07:22 AM
My best gift was my son taking me to the movies. We had a great time!

Patrice
December 26th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Every year I bought an ornament for our Christmas tree. Years ago I broke our very first Christmas together ornament. 1981. I would still hang it on the tree with half of it gone trying not to cut myself..lol...this year my oldest got me the same ornament to replace it. I was in tears. He said he had been looking for it for years. The wonders of the internet. I won't even say what he had to pay for it. Such a sweetie

bonniebella
December 26th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Just having 3 of my 4 children around the table for Christmas dinner was my best present this year. Next year I may have 3 out of 4 but not the same 3. It was 2006 when I last had all 4 together.

Bubby
December 26th, 2013, 08:45 AM
We don't really do the gift giving thing other than to our grandkids and they want money. I got two pairs of KAI scissors...the 8" dressmaker shears and the 4" curved blade embroidery scissors. LOVE them both. I will buy more from this company.

shermur
December 26th, 2013, 09:38 AM
A spinning mat

Patrice
December 26th, 2013, 09:42 AM
A spinning mat

Oh those are nice aren't they. I love mine

Rhonda D. Matzker
December 26th, 2013, 10:13 AM
I actually had 4. The super special gifts from the grand kids pick out all by them selves. But the one that made me cry was the Grandmothers Bracelet I received from DH. It has all 3 of the DGK's birthstones and my daughters. So special. Maybe tomorrow I will feel like taking pics. Highly doubtful though, the way I am feeling.

Why didn't you say something? I would have taken a picture for you and posted it. Goober

Rhonda D. Matzker
December 26th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Didn't really get anything that made me overly excited this year. Hubby and I got each other a 60" 3D TV and some movies. I had more fun watching the reaction of those getting the quilts I made and the hubby's going "You made this". I made 5 quilts and 4 got that reaction, was comical after awhile.

Rhonda D. Matzker
December 26th, 2013, 10:20 AM
A spinning mat

I got Marilyn (auntiemern) 2 of those last year. A large and small. She was really excited about that.

Rhonda D. Matzker
December 26th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Marilyn, I'm surprised you didn't mention your tall toilet that you have been asking for for years. LOL:lol:

Bubby
December 26th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I got two pairs of KAI scissors...love them! The best gift is that Jeff and I got to spend the day together with the Girls, who had a ball with their bags of toys, etc. We had a good dinner and relaxed...perfect day for us.

Hulamoon
December 26th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I got two pairs of KAI scissors...love them! The best gift is that Jeff and I got to spend the day together with the Girls, who had a ball with their bags of toys, etc. We had a good dinner and relaxed...perfect day for us.

I love those scissors too! I never heard of them before my shop brought them in. I'm going to look into the curved one you mentioned.

MRoy
December 26th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Best gift...it's over.

Rhonda D. Matzker
December 26th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Yep, wasn't much in the "holiday" spirit this year at all.

CrazyMtnLady
December 26th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Since the only gifts I got were from my SS I will wait till the 28th and let you know how wonderful everything is. Thank You so much SS.

EmmaB
December 26th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I had to really think about this because I enjoyed all my gifts, especially the huge bag of peanut M&M's I got playing dirty Santa yesterday (I love peanut m&m's) but I finally decided on my favorite. It was the snowflake from a total stranger. I have no words to describe how it filled my heart with joy and made me shed the happiest tears. I took this most special gift to show it to my mom and sisters yesterday and shared my joy with them.

MarianneK
December 26th, 2013, 11:10 AM
My favorite gift is a red/white polka dotted iPad case my daughter gave me. Of course anything from my daughter is treasured!

Cat n bull
December 26th, 2013, 12:00 PM
My most treasured gift this year was my husband and daughter did EVERYTHING Christmas Eve that was left undone because I was so sick from this kidney stone. My husband stayed with me at the hospital, and he took care of me at home, and I just couldn't do much at all.

So they went shopping for stocking stuffers and all the groceries, had a cookie making marathon and wrapped all the presents and finished it all with time to spare to go see our friend that has moved but came back for Christmas Eve.

They worked for the entire day, were both exhausted by the time they went to bed, but we had a wonderful Christmas!

So hard for parents sometimes to truly accept their children are adults now, and have their own lives and just aren't going to spend Holiday times exclusively with us anymore. But then they do something like this, take responsibility for a task they've never done before, help in a way that is so special and so appreciated and so genuine and heartfelt, and it makes it a little easier to let them go about the parts of their life that doesn't include us.

Carol336
December 26th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Since we are planning to downsize this year and will be in a much smaller space next year...this will be the last family Christmas dinner we host in the home we moved to when our boys were small (30 yrs ago) So just having the whole family here for Christmas this year was the best gift ever....we had a wonderful day opening gifts, eating a scrumptious dinner that DH prepared for us, playing games and just enjoying being together......it was fantastic and a little bittersweet at the same time.

GinnyKNC
December 26th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I don't think I can pick just one. The beautiful snowflake that Barb (Bubby) sent me is one of my favorites! It is so beautiful and looks amazing on my tree. Another favorite is the queen size supreme slider from my DS and DIL. I can't wait to use it. DH and I don't exchange gifts anymore because we just buy what we want throughout the year. And with all the material I purchased this year that made this girl a happy camper :) I grew up with my great grandparents and grandma and we didn't have a lot of money. I never did get use to the receiving side of things and it still make me feel strange for some reason. I am more of the giver and it really warms my heart to see others receive. I think that's why we do so many different charity things throughout the year as well.

laf512
December 26th, 2013, 12:43 PM
My favorite gift is probably my Olfa rotating cutting mat. I've been wanting one for awhile, but never felt like splurging.

QuiltingRN
December 26th, 2013, 05:22 PM
I loved the beads I got for my Pandora bracelet. I made minkee scarves for the family and it was great when they said, you made this, it looks store bought!
My kids loved the bibs I made for the new grand baby, and everyone loved the quilted ornaments.

Overall fun Christmas.

MayinJerset
December 27th, 2013, 11:34 AM
A few great gifts this year, first to arrive was the snowflake that Barb made me, it hangs on our tree next to the crystal snowflake DGD Christine sent me. Next fav is the right length gold/silver necklace DH gave me, for once he picked something I really would wear. Most favorite is the beautiful and touching card from DGD Catherine which included a note from her saying how she loves all that we have done for her and with her over the years. Christine lives in New Orleans and was in the process of packing to move mid December but she made sure her gifts were under Catherine's tree for all of us to open on Christmas day. These 2 grand girls, DS#2's DDs, have always honored and respected us as their grandparents, even more now that we are their only living grandparents.

SuzyQue
December 27th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I think my best Christmas gift this year will be hard to pick! My DD finally graduated college after some major health issues. My DS gave me a copy of his "book".....his PhD dissertation. My other DS got his hair cut!!! My DDIL gave me a pair of earrings like the ones we gave her last year, knowing how much I had admired them then. I received my regular gifts of sweaters, scarves, asked for quilting supplies, etc. BUT.......yesterday I opened a EuroSteam iron and fell in LOVE!!! Who would ever think a steam iron would trump all the rest?

Pandabear
December 27th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I love t-shirts. The two I received this year were Big Bang Theory's Paper, Rock, Scissors, Lizard, Spock. The second is from The IT Crowd "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

MayinJerset
December 27th, 2013, 01:05 PM
The second is from The IT Crowd "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Had to LOL because when I first had a PC and a problem occurred that is the advice I received from the PC Support Team. You know what it? It really works most of the time.

BellasQuilts
December 27th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Mine was the news we were going to be grandparents for a second time!

GrammaBabs
December 27th, 2013, 05:52 PM
So sorry you were under the weather.. hope all is going well,, I've passed a stone, so I understand that pain.. Just wanted to point out that this only shows "how well you did bringing them up"... THIS is when you see the result of all your years of setting example!! I mentioned to my DD how proud I was of her helping out her MIL all the time.. she replied.. "I learned from the best".. those are the moments I cherish!!! :) Be well,,, B
My most treasured gift this year was my husband and daughter did EVERYTHING Christmas Eve that was left undone because I was so sick from this kidney stone. My husband stayed with me at the hospital, and he took care of me at home, and I just couldn't do much at all.

So they went shopping for stocking stuffers and all the groceries, had a cookie making marathon and wrapped all the presents and finished it all with time to spare to go see our friend that has moved but came back for Christmas Eve.

They worked for the entire day, were both exhausted by the time they went to bed, but we had a wonderful Christmas!

So hard for parents sometimes to truly accept their children are adults now, and have their own lives and just aren't going to spend Holiday times exclusively with us anymore. But then they do something like this, take responsibility for a task they've never done before, help in a way that is so special and so appreciated and so genuine and heartfelt, and it makes it a little easier to let them go about the parts of their life that doesn't include us.