PDA

View Full Version : Nurses....

Coppertopquilter
December 19th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Do you sew your own scrub tops? I hate shelling the money out for something I know I could make but I am not sure if it would actually end up saving me any money.

cindyinohio
December 20th, 2013, 12:08 AM
I never had time to sew when I was wearing scrubs. And once I got home and out of the scrubs i didn't want to think about them. I usually ordered mine on-line.Finding quality material might be expensive..I hated ironing so usually tried to get good scrubs that I could just hang out of the dryer
This is kinda funny because this morning I was thinking of how I kind of miss my scrubs....I had a whole closet full! I gave them to girls I worked with when I retired

grandmasieg
December 20th, 2013, 12:52 AM
I think I have every pattern made for scrubs and have made a few "holiday" scrub tops. But to be honest with you, it ends up being cheaper to buy scrubs, especially when you can hit up a good sale. We have a few uniform shops here that give you discounts if you work certain places or are going to school. I've also found some brand new scrub tops at the Goodwill that still had tags on them. The hospital I work at doesn't require white scrubs and we can wear prints, etc. The patients seem to like the colorful, printed scrub tops. I'm sure that is going to change in the future.

Auntpiggylpn
December 20th, 2013, 01:03 AM
When I was still working as a nurse, I only made seasonal scrub tops and jackets. If I could buy an everyday scrub top for less than $15 it was well worth it. I could easily have over $15 in fabric and then still have to take the time to put it together. My last physicians practice that I worked at had color coded days and everyone in the practice wore the same scrubs. They didn't allow for holiday prints or even personalization of your scrubs. I guess I am "Old School"; I think that patients should be able to distinguish between the doctor, nurse, receptionist and medical records in an office.

turena65
December 20th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Unfortunately, I work in a hospital that requires each person in certain departments to wear the exact same scrubs, same pattern, style, and color. In our hospital, you know who works ER, OR, MS, ICU, OB, etc. based on the color of their scrubs... That means there is no individuality when choosing them, and we HAVE to order whether we like it or not. That being said, I have found most of them to be reasonably priced (~$20/top ~$20/bottoms) and the fabric to be very good quality. Probably last longer than if I were to make them myself. In the long run, it's worth it to me to order them online.

welshnanajan
December 20th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I've been retired from nursing for a few years now but here in the UK we don't have to pay for our uniforms

MRoy
December 20th, 2013, 05:06 PM
The Dollar General Stores in my area sell scrubs. I don't know the cost.

QuiltingRN
December 20th, 2013, 09:47 PM
I never made my scrubs cause I could get them pretty cheap on line. Then when I worked in the ER the scrubs were provided. Now, I have my own office and wear office attire, no more scrubs for me!

Precious1
December 20th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Check website Uniform City - Famous Brand Scrubs at Discount Prices (http://www.uniformcity.com) they sell top quality name brand scrubs at great prices. They also offer free shipping. I used to order from them when I lived in the US. Loved their polo shirts.

Hulamoon
December 20th, 2013, 10:45 PM
I was looking into selling them when I was on ebay. But then I saw them at Walmart for like $8. A yard of fabric is that much. I asked my local vet's office if they would buy some and they said yes, but (don't get mad) the ladies are all a little big and the cost for me was going to be too much.

I think if you don't care about the cost and want to wear something fun like around kids or vet's offices I would make them myself.

JCY
December 21st, 2013, 12:43 AM
I have at least 2 doz. scrub top vests (no buttons in the front) which I made hanging in my closet not being worn. I retired in 2009. I worked in Med-Surg & at that time we were permitted to wear our own scrubs. I made them with a tie in the back & made the pockets bigger than the pattern called for to carry around all my stuff. I had seasonal ones for the various holidays. I wore a coordinating tee shirt or top under the vest. I understand now the hosp. where I worked has gone to unit/dept. uniforms. I do believe the patients enjoyed the colorful scrubs the nurses wore. JCY

Granny Judy
December 21st, 2013, 12:54 AM
I am from a much earlier generation of nurses.. we were only allowed white uniforms .. And thankfully Pants were encouraged!!

I did add some large pockets to many of my tops.. Gotta have pockets if you are a nurse.

Coppertopquilter
December 22nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks everyone! I liked the idea of picking out my own fabric, but I think you all are right it is probably cheaper to buy online.

bhaggerty
December 22nd, 2013, 11:49 PM
I have found it to be cheaper to buy them when they are on sale. Sam's club often has them too.