PDA

View Full Version : Thursday - it's gonna be a great day

Blondie
December 19th, 2013, 08:08 AM

Happy Thursday Folksies!
I enjoyed seeing the moon rising like a huge pumpkin last night and still enjoying the glowing beauty of it at the moment. At least yesterday we had sunshine - I do believe we are in for more rain this weekend and that everyone North and NW of me are in for more of the other winter stuff. Ready for Spring yet? See, if polled I would vote for only 1 to 2 weeks of winter and then progress onto Spring. Then, just one or two days of hot weather and march into Fall.
When the world was being created and the elements placed, no one consulted me, so I reckon I will be happy that I can experience all four seasons. There were years that I missed having any change of seasons.

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful birthday wishes! Mom regaled me with my birth story. For years I have known that my daughter is eerily like me in many ways, including our arrivals on planet earth. I was born on a gurney in an elevator, unceremoniously, not giving the doc time to put his gloves on. Sarah was born on a gurney in a scrub closet, also not waiting for the doc and his gloves. Both of us were born during snow storms. Both of us were Mom's first girl (although Sarah was my last contribution to the world population and Mom went on to have one more baby girl) Enough of that jazz. Let me tell you about how I blew my Mom's mind . . . I was thinking of what I could make the old gal for lunch yesterday and decided to make a Banana Split Sandwich. We've been having difficulty getting Mom to eat more than a bite of anything. She's lost all the weight that I somehow managed to find. She had no idea what a treat I had for her. Never having put a tooth into one, I told her I was introducing her to a secret pleasure that I used to treat the kids with on nights or mornings when I didn't want to think, much less cook. Now, don't choke on whatever is in your mouth. It is a banana sandwich with peanut butter and strawberry jam. Moms liked it so much she ate the whole thing! Huzzah! Success! Now that is what I call a happy birthday present, folksies! When the home health nurse came a bit later, she was thrilled too. And said that she would have to slip that goodie into her repertoire of recipes for those who find eating a chore.

Thanks to all who sent me cards! And I also received the most wonderful box of goodies filled with blonde bombshell coffee and the most ginormous coffee mug I have ever seen from a special sister here, as well as some African Violets delivered by the florist from another precious MSQC friend. You peeps touch my heart and soul on a very regular basis. I know that I am the luckiest of residents on The Hill. Heart felt hugs to each of you!

Perhaps one of the reasons I am such a happy girl is because Christmas is right around the corner. It's a perpetual reminder of the good deeds that emerge from even the most skinflint of people this time of year. It reminds me also that we give to others because of the gift we all received over 2000 years ago on the first Christmas. SMILE! We will soon be seeing people under mistletoe, gift wrappings will soon be strewn all over the floor in beautiful disarray, children of all ages will once more believe in the miracle of Christmas morning.

Monique
December 19th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Sounds like a marvelous day was had, special lady.

Hubby, Greg and I went last minute shopping yesterday. Pretty well got the last of the gifts done. I need to go again today and pick up my gold chain that was repaired and get some groceries. I think a stop at Denis' shop is in order too.

Have a wonderful day friends.

shermur
December 19th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Very early Mornin', Blondie! My Navy girl, Ashley came home on leave about 12:30 this morning! She's wiped out, but she did give me about an hour of bonding time! I was so grateful Dottie dog remembered Ashley and all is well! Trying to prepare my self for tomorrow; an anniversary that I wish wouldn't come each year.
Work is hectic as it gets closer to year end and I wish I worked some place else (very stressed). Don't get me wrong, I thankful I am working, but after two years of grind at the establishment I work at....I have come to realize that I do not get paid enough for my efforts and I do not agree with the ethics of management.
I still haven't started my Christmas shopping...I hope to get some accomplished tonight. Plus, it's Halona's 13th birthday Sunday...I gotta shop for that , too!

Carol336
December 19th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Happy Thursday everyone.
Blondie - I love peanut butter and banana......haven't tried it on bread with jelly, but it sounds heavenly. Hmmmmm.....could be lunch today!!!!

Gonna do some cleaning up around here today - it's been neglected far too long. I sew on the breakfast room table and have been making fabric boxes like crazy for hurry up gifts - I fill them with candy or homemade treats (rum balls, peanut butter clusters and spiced nuts) - they're great for hostess gifts, something for the next door neighbor when they come over with a box of chocolates for you - that neice you never know quite what to give.....or anyone else who shows on your doorstep with a little gift for you. Just hop into the other room...fill er up....and you're good to go!!

DGS (10) has his holiday concert tonight, he's playing the triangle, bells and snare - oh my. We'll be there for every exciting moment of his performance.

Have a good day everyone. And in the words of Blondie "Smile, Smile, Smile."

HandsomeRyan
December 19th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Happy Thursday! Glad to hear you got your mom to eat something. My mom has been losing a lot of weight since having her gallbladder removed. I think also living at home alone since my dad passed away she just doesn't feel much like cooking for one.

In my world:
► My wife is 30 weeks today and our baby is (roughly) the sized of a head of cabbage. Tomorrow we find out the results of the gestational diabetes test.

► Yesterday, while continuing to try to clean and organize my stash, I found a layer cake of fabric that I only vaguely remember buying. I'm sure it was a DD here but I have no idea what I intended to do with it when I bought it? Upon discovering it buried under a pile of other fabric I love all the patterns. What does one do with one layer cake? Maybe a nice table runner, place mats, or Christmas tree skirt?

► My wife started cutting and organizing the fabric for the Underground Railroad Sampler blocks. I'm getting nervous! Those pieces of fabric are _so_ small! She said she is doing the hard part (cutting). I corrected her and said she is doing the tedious part I'm doing the hard part sewing those tiny pieces together! The cream colored bed spread that we ordered to go under the UGRS runner that we are making came yesterday. I know buying a quilted bedspread is cheating but it was $60-something and that wouldn't even cover the cost of backing fabric for me to make one myself.

► Finally, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all of you. I enjoy learning so much from everyone about many aspects of quilting and life in general. I am always inspired by the things I see all of you making and the time and effort you take to answer my (usually silly) questions and help me to be a better quilter. I know there is occasional drama or hurt feelings around here but in general I can not imagine a nicer group of people to call my friends and a community I am proud to call myself a part of. It means a lot to me the amount of time and effort I see put in here by everyone to answer questions, offer a listening ear or friendly advice, and just generally be good neighbors to one and other. So, Thanks for that!

Bubby
December 19th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Morning Everyone,

Blondie, glad you had a stellar birthday. It sounds like you got the royal treatment you deserve. Dottie has an upset tummy again today. I need to make a trip to WalMart for something to help her if the road will cooperate.

No news here...just have a house that needs cleaning and shopping to get done. Have a great day everyone!

MayinJerset
December 19th, 2013, 09:05 AM
I'm up and not really ready to be 'at them' but I'll give it a good try. We're planning DS#3 & kids Christmas visit in MA this weekend, bringing gifts as well as the suits and other stuff he left behind when he moved last weekend.
Have a small few tables and cabinets that I don't want any longer and tossing them in the van too, if he can't use them he'll put them in his basement.

Picked up almost every item on my Christmas list yesterday so this morning I'll be matching gift receipts with gifts and wrapping everything. Got a few plaques, TOLD YOU SO....MOM and A CLUTTERED DESK IS A SIGN OF GENUIS that may amuse or tick off those who receive them, LOL! Next week I'll make some biscotti and rainbow cookies for gifts. On Christmas will give DS#2 and his wife each a small box of biscotti, no more one box for both as they would fight over who ate the most. Rainbows are DS#1 and 3's favorites so they'll get a small box each next weekend when we have our Holiday Get Together.

Getting down to the last few days and thanking our Miss Blondie for guiding us to be the best we can especially during this special season, Hugs to all, May

EmmaB
December 19th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Good morning good people! Just poppin in to get a dose of Blondie sunshine :) Same old same old goin on here. Had a couple of busy days lately but getting closer to the weekend YAY !

Have a great day!

buckeyequilter
December 19th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Good morning......

Blondie...sounds like you had a wonderful birthday! I'm glad you got your mom to eat, we went through the same thing with mom.....nothing tasted good. I got her some Wendy's chili and she said that was good and a few days later sent one of the GD's to get her some :)

My elf (DD) has wrapped most of the packages. She said to me, last night, so I can assume all the unwrapped gifts under the tree, on Christmas morning, are mine *haha* They'll be wrapped...may not be pretty but they will be wrapped.

I have all my shopping done except for the food. Then we'll spiff up the house and have a Merry Christmas!

I was making a mental list of the quilts I need make on my way to work this morning...the list keeps growing and in my organized mind I will get them all done by June and then I can work on Christmas things for next year. Now in reality, next Christmas, I will be wondering how it got here so quickly and how many quilts I can make between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Need to get busy....have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs

Iris Girl
December 19th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Morning all. I am off again today ...not because of weather though. Yesterday the hot water heater went on the blitz. The repairman said it was old and antiquated and about to start leaking.. almost 30 years old. So today I am home waiting for the installers to come put another in before we have a catastrope. Not what we intended on spending 1300 bucks on this time a year but better now then have a leak. sewing some quilts for the various groups here. can't get to involved while waiting on repairmen.

Blondie sounds like you had a fantastic day yesterday. so glad you got mom to eat.

Have a great day all and smile.

Sandy Navas
December 19th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Hi, Peeps!

Wonderful day yesterday at my brother and sis-in-law's place. Good food, good company, good laughs - as always.

Who knows what today will bring - they are predicting bitter freezing rain, but yesterday it was in the high 60's as we came home from our trek. I do think for the most part that my Christmas preps are finished - maybe not to anyone else's standards, but I'm like a turkey who has been in the oven too long . . . I'm done!

And so, with continued smiles being spread all over, I head off to see what kind of trouble I can stir up in this household. First I have to get a confession from the person who felt it was a good idea to feed my dog table scraps last night.

May your day be filled with good thoughts, good deeds, good health, and a few extra pennies for whatever you need.

MRoy
December 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Good morning! Nothing exciting going on here...it's pretty peaceful, the way I like it. :) I gave myself a much needed haircut yesterday, that always perks me up. I haven't been in the notion to sew yet this week although I've got fabric laid out to cut. Maybe today will be the day I get started on it.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 19th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Good morning folks! So glad to hear about your birthday events, Blondie! And Myrna has her birthday today!

I'm in the " bring it home" phase of my costuming job, LAST DAY! It's buttons, snaps day, plus last minute ironing! My energy level came up a bit yesterday, because on Tuesday I didn't think I would make it through the week! We have a wild and crazy weekend ahead of us, 4 performances in 3 days followed by Christmas celebration at my house! I'll be able to finally rest on Christmas Eve as it will be quiet here by then.

Hope you all have a great day!

toggpine
December 19th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I'm up crazy early for me. I have a batch of banana muffins just coming out of the oven, but apparent;y early morning baking isn't a good idea. They didn't hold their rise, so maybe they are more like banana pound cakes? I guess, as long as they taste good it will be ok, and they smell fab, but are too hot to eat yet!

I'm waiting on a call from Mom to see if I have to run her to Seattle this AM. It is a hugely contingent plan on if my brother gets a job out at the port this morning, and then if we get done in Seattle soon enough, etc, etc. I have enough to do without this, but the things you do for your mom.

So I'm going to go look up the directions for the fabric boxes and see if I can make a few of them while I wait.

I hope you all have a good day no matter where it takes you, and hand out a few smiles along the way!

Mpyles
December 19th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Good morning all!

It's my day off...I am hesitant to take it as we have been crazy busy this week and if going in today meant I wouldn't have a bad day tomorrow I would be there in a second..but I am tired and trying to weight the benefits. I have some shopping I need to do yet and would like to finish it up today if I can. Sunday bad weather is forecast ...so don't want to put it off. Friday and Saturday at the restaurant will be a zoo!! I do think I am going to go by and finalize the schedules to have them off my plate.

Last night we had our Christmas dinner for work. We went to an upscale Asian restaurant....not my cup of tea but the food was ok. Not a sushi girl at all and I think I ate something I shouldn't have as my eyes are all puffy this morning....or that could have been the late night I guess to...dunno but I look a little swollen..

Jean...you have so much energy! I wanna follow you around in your busy world of costumes...but I probably couldn't keep up!
Monique...sounds like you and Greg accomplished a lot!
Blondie..glad momma got some food in her!! Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday!!
Carol, I love to see grandparents who go to their grandchildren's activities!! My momma always did and my kids love her dearly for it!!
Sandy...so glad you had a good time at your brothers!
Sherri...good to hear Ashley is home for your holidays!
Ryan...I appreciate you as well! It's been a joy to hear about the coming baby!!
Shirley ...I need an elf!!
April...I am replacing a water heater at work currently....at a tune of 6500!!
May...I have a genius for a daughter if a cluttered desk is a brilliant mind!!

Dd is off during the day today...so I think I will pull her out if bed to help with my errands.

Everyone have a great day!!

alliek
December 19th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Blondie, I thank you for your "sandwich recipe". I may use it for mom when she doesn't feel like eating. I don't have that problem!:lol:
Have a blessed weekend and thank you again for your morning news, it always lifts my spirits and makes me smile. You are a blessing.

auntiemern
December 19th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Good day to all. As always Blondie can figure out a way to make me smile. So glad to hear that momma Ruth ate something. Especially something that is high in calories and protein.
Ryan, we appreciate you too. Thank you for the kind words for us. (yes we can be a handful at times.)
Wrapped most of the day yesterday, with a little help from DD. After DH got home from his shopping adventures (so proud of him, he goes out and fights the mayhem every year, and even wraps to give me a special Christmas) Then I dragged him back out, to do some more, and hopefully will finish up the shopping today after we get Bubby on the bus.
Wishing everyone a blessed day, and sending up prayers for those in need.

Granny Judy
December 19th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Busy morning for me... the weather is so mild and everything is melting. I had to take a puppy out for a walk. Now that is saying something for me to be out and about.

Finished wrapping presents.. not that I had a lot.. it seems my wrapping skills get worse each year. Not enough practice?? I don't prepare and have everything on hand.. So I improvise and use whatever is on hand. Fabric strips for ribbons... Brown paper bags with twine... I almost got into my burlap roll, but found a half roll of Christmas paper in the back of the closet.

One of our cats will not leave the stockings alone.. every night they are hung up and every morning I find them scattered around the house. Gotta fill them up with something heavy then the Black Witch Cat can't get them off the hooks. But She will CRY!! OH, How She can CRY!!! Those stockings will have to be a last minute fill as I have hid them in a drawer..

Sending out hugs and Merry Christmas's to all. 6 days left....