PDA

View Full Version : 36 Christian Ways to Reduce Stress

JCY
December 19th, 2013, 01:10 AM
1. Pray
2. Go to bed on time.
3. Get up on time so you can start the day unrushed.
4. Say "NO" to projects that won't fit into your time schedule, or that will compromise your mental health.
5. Delegate tasks to capable others.
6. Simplify and unclutter your life.
7. Less is more. (Although one is often not enough, two are often too many.)
8. Allow extra time to do things and to get to places.
9. Pace yourself. Spread out big changes and difficult projects over time; don't lump the hard things all together.
10. Separate "worries" from "concerns." If a situation is a concern, find out what God would have you do and let go of the anxiety. If you can't do anything about a situation, forget it.
12. Live within your budget; don't use credit cards for ordinary purchases.
13. Have backups; an extra car key in your wallet, an extra house key buried in the garden, extra stamps, etc.
14. K.M.S. (Keep Mouth Shut) This single piece of advice can prevent an enormous amount of trouble.
15. Do something for the Kid in You every day.
16. Carry a Bible with you to read while waiting in line.
17. Get enough rest.
18. Eat right.
19. Get organized so everything has its place.
20. Listen to a tape or CD while driving that can help improve your quality of life.
21. Write down thoughts and inspirations.
22. Every day, find time to be alone.
23. Having problems? Talk to God on the spot. Try to nip small problems in the bud. Don't wait until it's time to go to bed to try and pray.
24. Make friends with Godly people.
25. Keep a folder of favorite scriptures on hand.
26. Remember that the shortest bridge between despair and hope is often a good "Thank You, Jesus."
27. Laugh.
28. Laugh some more!
29. Take your work seriously, but not yourself at all.
30. Develop a forgiving attitude. (Most people are doing the best they can.)
31. Be kind to unkind people! (They probably need it the most!)
32. Sit on your ego.
33. Talk less; listen more.
34. Slow down.
35. Remind yourself that you are not the general manager of the universe.
36. Every night before bed, think of one thing you're grateful for that you've never been grateful for before. GOD HAS A WAY OF TURNING THINGS AROUND FOR YOU. "If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31)

This article was found in the balcony of our church. Thanks to whomever left it behind and may it be a blessing to those who take time to read its contents. It should help all of us prioritize our busyness during the holidays. ~Author known by God. Merry Christmas, Everyone! JCY

bkthomas
December 19th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Most Excellent! Thank You!!!

Mom23
December 19th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Thank you for the words of wisdom. They are so needed at this time.

pcbatiks
December 19th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Great list.......thanks for posting!

auntiemern
December 19th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Thank you for this list. We all need to be reminded sometimes, especially this time of year when it is so easy to become overwhelmed. God sent me this message at just the right time.

ilive2craft2
December 19th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Great list. I took a hard look at all of the "stuff" that I do for the holidays and decided some of it was just stuff that I liked to do, but that now seems like just another item on the to do list - all of the joy was gone. Decided that some of that stuff just didn't need to be done. Once the pressure was off, some of those things have gotten done and had fun doing it.

Dalronix
December 19th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Apart from 1, 16, 24, 25, 26 and 36, what makes the items particularly Christian? I'm sure atheists and people of other religions practice the other 30 items - they are standard items for reducing stress and anxiety.

SuzyQue
December 19th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Great rules to live by.....for everyone! Thanks for sharing.

Mpyles
December 19th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Apart from 1, 16, 24, 25, 26 and 36, what makes the items particularly Christian? I'm sure atheists and people of other religions practice the other 30 items - they are standard items for reducing stress and anxiety.

Dunno! Perhaps the unknown author titled it that?

JCY
December 19th, 2013, 06:50 PM
This was the title given as it was printed in my church's newsletter. I copied it verbatim, except that I added CD next to tape in item 20. I think many of us take on activities (and not just at Christmas) that we really don't want to do because we think it's expected of us. The longer I've lived, the easier it is for me to say No. I'm caregiver for my husb. who's in poor health. That's my primary focus in life now. But I do take care of myself by getting out with lady friends, to lunch, church, etc. Quilting is something I can do at home & still be "present" with hubby. This is not how I envisioned my retirement, but we have to cope with life as it is, not as we wish it were. I have found God's strength sufficient for each day. JCY

Dalronix
December 19th, 2013, 08:42 PM
If I offended anyone with my post I'm very sorry, I hadn't meant to do that. I will use the excuse of the 41C (105.8F) summer temperature here addling my brain.

All the very best wishes for a happy and safe holiday season.

Suzette
December 20th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Love this! 10 and 14 are my favorites and will be a part of my daily life from now on.

easyquilts
December 20th, 2013, 09:07 PM
A keeper! That list should be on every fridge door!