If you live in the desert or HOT temps....need some gardening help.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coffeebreak
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

If you live in the desert or HOT temps....need some gardening help.....

I know everyone is thinking Christmas, but to cover over some sad feelings... I am planning my spring planting. I am so bad at it, nothing ever seems to grow for me! But I still try! I live in the high desert of Southern California...triple digits often during the summer and freezing/snow in the winter. Does anyone live in a desert or hot area? I would like to know what flower of color you plant that will grow in that heat! I have NO shade, no trees and sandy dirt that I can add potting soil kind of stuff to it, but still...I want color and direct sun all day,every day plants. I have researched some, and have come up with Lavender and Heather and both I will do but...what do you plant in 100% sun and heat? And I would want ones that come back year after year. I can cover them etc in the winter with no problem. Bushes or flowers..long as they will grow in the heat and have color! Appreciate any suggestions!
    Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com
  • Jean Sewing Machine
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Re: If you live in the desert or HOT temps....need some gardening help.....

How about cactus? They grow some amazingly beautful flowers!

Comment

• coffeebreak
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
      How about cactus? They grow some amazingly beautful flowers!
      I thought about them, but from what I have researched, they don't bloom very much or very often. I can't even get the little indoor ones to bloom!
      Cheri

Comment

• Hulamoon
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2012

I think you will have to amend the soil a lot and put in a drip irrigation system. Do you have a home depot or nursery near by so you can see what they suggest? I like to talk in person when I take this kind of project on. I did my aunt's house in So Calif (which is desert too) I ended up with rosemary and a bunch of stuff that doesn't take much water. It came out really pretty.

Take a swing by Show and Tell
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• mdenzine
          9 Patch Princess
          • May 2012

I live in the Arizona desert where we get triple digit heat in the summer and a few night of freezing temps in winter.I plant roses they do very well. They also can servive freezing temps. They bloom here about 9mo's out of a year. Also try planting Lantana.it comes in many colors,it can be trimmed into a bush or grown as a ground cover. It is also very hardy and can take alot of sun,if it freezes you can cut it will come back. Hope this helps.
          Marilyn (the one in Arizona)
          Quilting is like love.
          Enter it with Abandon or not at all.

Comment

• Lilbitsofthread
            Prairie Pointer
            • Dec 2013

I work in the garden department at a California Home Depot. Some great plants for your area that are drought tolerant:
            Rosemary, mirror plant, lions tail, lavender, primrose, agapanthus, kangaroo paw, and Texas sage. Hope this helps.
            Michelle

Comment

• K. McEuen
              Super Moderator
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2011

I wonder if Spanish Broom would grow there. It has the prettiest yellow blooms on it.
              K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
              T - is it TRUE?
              H - is it HELPFUL?
              I - is it INSPIRING?
              N - is it NECESSARY?
              K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Lilbitsofthread
                Prairie Pointer
                • Dec 2013

Spanish broom is invasive, so I would only use it in a very large garden. Also, it is a wildfire risk if not given a lot of water. A great resource for Southern California water wise plants is smartplanetplants.com Home Depot carries a large variety of these plants.
                Michelle

Comment

• HdWench
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2012

Live in Arizona and hot hot hot! Tombstone Roses I ADORE! Carolina Jasmine, Sage, Rosemary, Bird of Paridise (lovely), Lantana, and Palm Trees! They love the hot - I made hubby plant me a Pony Tail Palm it's gorgeous but then I don't have to cut the under leaves hhehehe We have no drip going to the Lantana (but it will do better if you have a drip irrigation (and this is easy to do), nor the Bird of Paridise or Tomstone roses - Once they took hold they bloom in May just as it hit 100 here

Good luck ! A book by zones they call it, and you'll find many that are stunning in flowers - OH forgot for winter color we have a Black Dahlia it blooms all mid-winters in tiny black/purple flowers, I love that bush too. hmm something I'm forgetting... very colorful and can not grow in any cold... Anyway check your library or local plant stores and they Should have advice for Local plants in the hot sun

:-Debbie
                  Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

• coffeebreak
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by mdenzine View Post
                    I live in the Arizona desert where we get triple digit heat in the summer and a few night of freezing temps in winter.I plant roses they do very well. They also can servive freezing temps. They bloom here about 9mo's out of a year. Also try planting Lantana.it comes in many colors,it can be trimmed into a bush or grown as a ground cover. It is also very hardy and can take alot of sun,if it freezes you can cut it will come back. Hope this helps.
                    Thanks... I have 4 rose bushes....that were here when we bought the house. Frankly, they are more trouble than they are worth! I get a major bloom in the spring and one near end of summer. Other than that...one here one there. I will look into the Lantana.
                    Cheri

Comment

• coffeebreak
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Lilbitsofthread View Post
                      I work in the garden department at a California Home Depot. Some great plants for your area that are drought tolerant:
                      Rosemary, mirror plant, lions tail, lavender, primrose, agapanthus, kangaroo paw, and Texas sage. Hope this helps.
                      Yes, great! I will check them out. Thanks!
                      Cheri

Comment

• coffeebreak
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2012

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have written them all down and will begin checking them out.
                        Cheri

Comment

• HdWench
                          Missouri Star
                          • Oct 2012

ugh Texas Sage yes it does grow and LOVES rain to make it flower, but we are trying to KILL the 3 planted in our yard (they are Ugly things when winter comes and all their huge branches aren't a pretty site lol) ... just saying :-)

Debbie
                          Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

Working...
                          X