PDA

View Full Version : The royal wedding

rebeccas-sewing
April 17th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Well, I've been trying to figure our how to spend the day when Kate and Prince William wed on April 29th. If I go out there and brave the crowds I'm going to miss the ceremony on the "telly." The palace is only about a 5-10 min. walk from our flat. I was reading about past weddings and it said that some people will stake out their spot along the processional route a couple of days ahead. NO WAY!!! I'm not doing that. There are people spending 100,000 pounds to get a private view of the processional from various places along the route. Can you imagine? I have a feeling I'll watch the ceremony on TV and as soon as it's over I'll get Joe to hoof it over to the palace with me. I have a feeling the crowds will be so enormous that we won't be able to get anywhere near the route. I have to give it a try. I imagine I'll be snapping lots of pictures but mostly of the crowds partying in the streets. LOL

Lisaau
April 17th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Rebecca the 29th is a friday not wednesday.....

I find myself getting all emotional whenever l see something on tv about it...l feel all protective of William ....crazy l know l just think about his mum and l cant believe his old enough to marry ....Just think it's really sad that Diana isnt around to see it happen..

twnkeyes
April 17th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I remember watching Di's wedding from beginning to end, I'll do the same with her son. I don't know what it is with we American's and royalty but a large percentage of us are smitten. My husband is British and he doesn't get it at all. Oh well, I'll be blued to, as you all say, the telly.

Loonwatcher
April 17th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I won't be watching. I figure I'll see all I need to on TV without even trying - it'll be everywhere. I too am sorry that Diana won't be there. She was and amazing woman. Wishing the best for the young couple,

patticakes
April 17th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Rebecca what a wonderful opportunity to be so close! I would imagine there will be throngs of onlookers. On one hand such a great chance to catch a glimpse, on the other hand you might miss the ceremony right? I would probably do what you thinking just to feel apart of the excitement & say I was actually there! Myself, well to be honest, I'm just not into it. I feel sad that he won't have his mum there and will probably catch it on the news but won't watch every minute. If I was in your place I would probably be caught up in all the festivities! Hope you have fun & enjoy!

lhayes1976
April 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I'm going to watch what I can before work and DVR the rest. I can't wait--love all the pomp and circumstance.

shell.scraps
April 17th, 2011, 09:58 AM
my boss if from England. she is having a "Royal Slumber PArty"...we are all going to go to her house and watch the wedding in our jammies at 4am. we plan to have mimosas, tea, scones, etc.... it should be a blast!!

I remember staying up all night with my mom and watching Lady Di marry the Prince. It was like Disney princess comes to life it was so grand.....

rebeccas-sewing
April 17th, 2011, 04:02 PM
That sound like a lot of fun, Michele. I don't think mimosas are very British, but who cares, right? They taste so yummy. I guess a pint of ale would be more appropriate but I don't think beer would be so great with scones and tea. Hahahaha.
my boss if from England. she is having a "Royal Slumber PArty"...we are all going to go to her house and watch the wedding in our jammies at 4am. we plan to have mimosas, tea, scones, etc.... it should be a blast!!

I remember staying up all night with my mom and watching Lady Di marry the Prince. It was like Disney princess comes to life it was so grand.....

rebeccas-sewing
April 17th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Today, we went for a walk to Hyde Park Corner via Buckingham Palace.There were loads of people around because of a huge runners' marathon (35,000 runners). I'm trying to imagine that area on the wedding day compared to what I saw today. It's going to be VERY crowded!!!!!!!
Rebecca what a wonderful opportunity to be so close! I would imagine there will be throngs of onlookers. On one hand such a great chance to catch a glimpse, on the other hand you might miss the ceremony right? I would probably do what you thinking just to feel apart of the excitement & say I was actually there! Myself, well to be honest, I'm just not into it. I feel sad that he won't have his mum there and will probably catch it on the news but won't watch every minute. If I was in your place I would probably be caught up in all the festivities! Hope you have fun & enjoy!

rebeccas-sewing
April 17th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I think it's a girl thing. Guys just don't seem to appreciate these things. Joe is so NOT into this upcoming wedding. He'll go out with me, though, even if I have to drag him. Haha.
I remember watching Di's wedding from beginning to end, I'll do the same with her son. I don't know what it is with we American's and royalty but a large percentage of us are smitten. My husband is British and he doesn't get it at all. Oh well, I'll be blued to, as you all say, the telly.

rebeccas-sewing
April 17th, 2011, 04:12 PM
The hardest one to watch was Diana's funeral. I was glued to the TV that day and cried through the whole thing.
I'm going to watch what I can before work and DVR the rest. I can't wait--love all the pomp and circumstance.

rebeccas-sewing
April 17th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I was looking for some info. about the upcoming wedding and ran across Diana and Charles' wedding. I watched some of it but it was so sad to think about the way it all turned out that I turned it off.

I find myself getting all emotional whenever l see something on tv about it...l feel all protective of William ....crazy l know l just think about his mum and l cant believe his old enough to marry ....Just think it's really sad that Diana isnt around to see it happen..

rebeccas-sewing
April 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Lisa,
I was trying to figure out what you were talking about regarding Friday not Wednesday. If you re-read my post I wasn't talking about the date but about their marriage. Hahahaha!

mamaquilt
April 18th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Lisa,
I was trying to figure out what you were talking about regarding Friday not Wednesday. If you re-read my post I wasn't talking about the date but about their marriage. Hahahaha!

I was trying to find out if I missed something too or if I didn't understand the mail. I'm glad you clarified this.

patticakes
April 18th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Yes I think the "wed" was the reason. Have you purchased any souveniers (sp?) Rebecca? If you go out make sure and share some pics with us!!

Blondie
April 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Hi Rebecca,
I would most likely do as you are - that is watch on the telly and perhaps go out into the crowd. I don't do well in crowds.
As far as Diana and Charles - I was living in Ca at that time, pregnant with my middle child and I was glued to the TV. Diana was a remarkable woman in every way.

rebeccas-sewing
April 19th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Oh wow, Blondie. I didn't know you lived in California at one time. Where did you live? We live in Orange County in a small city called Placentia, right next to Brea, Yorba Linda, and Fullerton. I will definitely post pictures if I'm able to capture anything interesting.

mamaquilt
April 19th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Oh wow, Blondie. I didn't know you lived in California at one time. Where did you live? We live in Orange County in a small city called Placentia, right next to Brea, Yorba Linda, and Fullerton. I will definitely post pictures if I'm able to capture anything interesting.

Yes do post pictures, You'll be the official MSQC correspondant from London. That would be fun (for us maybe not so for you).

Lisaau
April 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Lisa,

hehehehe thats me the madhatter on a crusade to confuse people hahahahahaha:icon_heh::icon_heh::icon_heh:

Sammy
April 19th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Hi guys,

Its amazing seeing how excited people are about this wedding. Im British and most of us arent that bothered. Of course we all get the day off so thats great but I think thats what people are looking forward to more than the wedding. The following Monday is a bank holiday too so everyone I know is using it as a good excuse for a long weekend away, probably wont see the wedding.
Dont get me wrong, we all wish them well but thats about as far as it goes, dont feel the need to get excited or watch the ceremony. And we will all be avoiding London! Wont be able to move for the crowds but Im pretty sure 90% wont be British.
I guess thats a bit strange xx

Sammy xx

Blondie
April 19th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Rebecca, We lived in Huntington Beach and moved to Thousand Oaks. Middle son was born in HB
When we first moved out there we lived briefly in the Chino area where ex had some kin. (Ex was from Pasadena)Chino was not my favorite part of SoCal but I thought on the whole that California was a very versatile and beautiful state. I wish I could've lived in Big Bear area. Now I don't think I would've ever moved from CA if we had lived there, LOL.

sewsoft
April 19th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I think scones and tea would be quite lovely..

rebeccas-sewing
April 19th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Blondie,

Big Bear would be a fun place to live except during tourist season. LOL

rebeccas-sewing
April 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Mission accomplished, Madam!
hehehehe thats me the madhatter on a crusade to confuse people hahahahahaha:icon_heh::icon_heh::icon_heh:

rebeccas-sewing
April 19th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Okay, Mamaquilt. I'll see what I can come up with. HOW cool, MSQC London correspondant, OMG, the pressure is on. Just kidding!
Yes do post pictures, You'll be the official MSQC correspondant from London. That would be fun (for us maybe not so for you).

rebeccas-sewing
April 19th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Quite lovely indeed. Very good idea. I'll have to pick some up.
I think scones and tea would be quite lovely..

Lisaau
April 19th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Quite lovely indeed. Very good idea. I'll have to pick some up.

Wouldn't tea and cucumber sandwiches be better