• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mpyles
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2013

Shivering Saturday!

Good Saturday morning!! Brrrrrrr! It cold here this morning! I don't wanna go out in it! Will that work? Does that get me out of going to work? Ya I didn't think so!

I was tucked in to bed early last night, tired from getting up so early and the extra two hours of driving on the boring interstate. Came home had left over stew, rebound that blankie for DH ...quite shoddily I will admit. Cut out a block for my design class and then hit the hay. When that alarm sounded this morning...I wanted to scream noooooooo!

It's chilly here but not as bad as some in Missouri. Work will be interesting today....with all the change up on stores sales... Pre thanksgiving sales, come early sales....wondering if that will drive traffic..and of course it's kids eat free day so.....

My goal today is not to let myself get frustrated or upset. I have to approve the thanksgiving week schedules and as many of you know we are open. I asked for volunteers, fear I don't have enough, so even tho I have worked the last 3 I will put myself down but that won't save me from forcing someone else to work...now the only reasonable way for me to do it, in my mind is draw straws....I dunno. I have half a mind to just run with what I have ...some people will quit a job for less than this....wish me luck on figuring it out.

Well, off I go! Everyone have a great day!
    Mary
    SW Missouri
  • CrazyMtnLady
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2011

Re: Shivering Saturday!

Good morning. It is a bit chilly here but I have a fire going and am quite comfortable in my sweats.
    Yesterday we winterized the camper and I brought in a few boxes to go through. So my sweats are new to me from DH's mother's things. I now have a few "house dresses". I call them that because I rarely wear a dress anywhere but around the house. There is a really nice deep dark green straight knit dress that will look fabulous with a gold belt to wear out sometime and surprise DH. It has been a long time since I dressed up. I have lots of kitchen gadgets too. I made grilled cheese sandwiches last night on the big George Foreman grill he brought back. I can't wait to go through more boxes. It's like Christmas!!!!

I need to go to town and get some tissue paper to wrap my SS things in. I am not shipping out of country so I know my package will arrive on time. I hope to get it in the mail after Thanksgiving.

DH still hasn't said if he is going to Texas, I am hoping not. I will have to get the things I need to make him a Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving if he is going to be here. He loves pumpkin pie.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day and weekend.
    Hugs and prayers to all.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

• kelliedi
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2012

well so far this is a Missouri thread...so far.... I have NOTHING planned for today. I'll just see what the day holds for me. Got a call last night that my dad had some chest pains while at the senior center yesterday so they took him to the hospital in Springfield couldn't find anything but kept him overnight anyway so well see.

Have a great day and remember to smile
      :icon_wave::icon_woohoo:Kellie:icon_hi:

Comment

• Sandy Navas
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2010

Hey, it's a Missouri girl group this morning!!! Good Morning, Mary. Good Morning, Donna. Good Morning, Kellie. Good Morning, Barb.

I'm afraid to check what the outside temp is today. But, since I don't have any outside chores on the schedule I'm not going to worry about it. LAUNDRY today. Seems with the washer and dryer in constant motion around here that I have to schedule my time. Let's see if I can get five loads done before bedtime - 'cuz tomorrow is another day.

I FOUND IT - I've been looking for about a week or more for the ironing board cover that came with my Jo-Ann's craft table (which is over 12 years old - the ironing board cover had never been used) - needed it for a special project and knew I'd put it safely away. I guess St. Anthony took to feeling sorry for me and guided me to it yesterday - in a very unlikely place I might say. Thank you, St. Anthony! And my project is now completed.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day doing nothing but what they love to do or absolutely have to do. Prayers for all our friends who have a need for comfort, and may there be healing.
        Last edited by Sandy Navas; November 23, 2013, 07:59 AM.
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Bubby
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2011

Good morning everyone,

I slept in this morning to try to kick this bug I have. I'm heading back to bed after I check out the forum. It's cold here this morning but at least it's not raining today.

How far can we continue the Missouri thread?

Wishing everyone a good weekend with hugs...
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• BellasQuilts
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2011

Sorry girls, California jumping in here. We got some much needed rain this week - about 1/2 inch. This is the worst drought in CA on record I hear. Hoping more is on its way. This weekend is cleaning house to get ready for the onslaught of family coming for Thanksgiving. It will be fun. Hope you all have a great weekend and stay warm and safe. Keep smiling!
            Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
            Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Comment

• Sandy Navas
              Missouri Star
              • Dec 2010

Megan is now an honorary Missouri Gal!!
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• ilive2craft2
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2012

Can I be an honorary Missouri gal? I am in a neighboring state Kind of chilly here this morning, but the sun is shining!!! Woohoo!! Love my sunshine! I am getting ready to head out for my date with the 2 yr old nephew - it involves play dough and I think we will have lots of fun! Have a great day!
                Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

• bdmsmith
                  Missouri Star
                  • May 2013

Originally posted by Mpyles View Post
                  Good Saturday morning!! Brrrrrrr! It cold here this morning! I don't wanna go out in it! Will that work? Does that get me out of going to work? Ya I didn't think so!

I was tucked in to bed early last night, tired from getting up so early and the extra two hours of driving on the boring interstate. Came home had left over stew, rebound that blankie for DH ...quite shoddily I will admit. Cut out a block for my design class and then hit the hay. When that alarm sounded this morning...I wanted to scream noooooooo!

It's chilly here but not as bad as some in Missouri. Work will be interesting today....with all the change up on stores sales... Pre thanksgiving sales, come early sales....wondering if that will drive traffic..and of course it's kids eat free day so.....

My goal today is not to let myself get frustrated or upset. I have to approve the thanksgiving week schedules and as many of you know we are open. I asked for volunteers, fear I don't have enough, so even tho I have worked the last 3 I will put myself down but that won't save me from forcing someone else to work...now the only reasonable way for me to do it, in my mind is draw straws....I dunno. I have half a mind to just run with what I have ...some people will quit a job for less than this....wish me luck on figuring it out.

Well, off I go! Everyone have a great day!
                  It's cold here too in Northern Indiana....only a high of 30 for today planned and lower tomorrow. My husband only lasted until about 8am in the woods, but 2 youngest boys lasted until 9:30. Not sure what my husband has planned for today, but I'm planning on doing some sewing today---hopefully he'll find something he wants to do other than watch tv because it's hard for me to go to my sewing room when he's just sitting here watching tv....I may just bring up one of the folding tables to the LR and sew/watch tv with him.

Mary....not sure what your job is but it sounds like you are in a retail type place. I was in retail management for years and the holiday times were always hard for scheduling. Since I was the one to do the scheduling and tried to be fair to everyone here's what I eventually did which worked almost all of the times

1st I'd ask for volunteers---unfortunately where I worked there was no extra pay for the day after thanksgiving so this didn't generally work to well but sometimes I would get someone that didn't want to be at home or someone that didn't spend time with family & would volunteer so others that did the black friday thing or had family plans could do them. I did manage a convenient store that was open on Thanksgiving but most employees were PT so they didn't receive holiday pay.

2nd---at the convenience store I divided the shifts into smaller sections and assigned times by seniority---1st senior person picked their slot, etc. I told everyone to be fair since we didn't have enough volunteers that everyone was going to work at least a portion of a shift. This meant everyone worked (even me) but we all had smaller shifts.

3rd--Another tactic that worked very well that I decided to try one year was to offer a 'free day off' after the 1st of the year with pay. Since I controlled the schedules and the using of vacation time I would let the volunteers who worked Thanksgiving to take one day off and I would put it down like they worked, so essentially they received an extra vacation day.

**My husband and I recently talked about how the store sales are earlier and earlier each year and now there's so many sales on Thanksgiving day. I am boycotting and will NOT be going out on Thanksgiving unless it's to a convenient store which normally have to be open due to emergency services. I remember when most everything was closed on Thanksgiving day except a couple convenient stores here and there but even a lot of those were closed---the ones open were mainly the ones that had the city contracts for police, emt's, etc.
                  :icon_wave: Teresa

Comment

• alliek
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jul 2011

It's southern Virginia chiming in: Weather is lovely cool and sunny BUT we are slated for the cold coming across the country tonight and thru the weekend and week. I have family traveling down here from the north which is expecting snow. I hope they are able to come here safely. God Bless all

Comment

• Nanato7
                      9 Patch Princess
                      • Sep 2013

I guess St. Anthony took to feeling sorry for me and guided me to it yesterday - in a very unlikely place I might say. Thank you, St. Anthony! And my project is now completed.

I suppose I'm a Missouri Gal, considering I was born and raised there, for the first 18 years of my life. Living in Texas now, in a suburb just north of San Antonio, we're experiencing some rather odd temps for our area. It's currently 34, which doesn't happen much before January or February around here, and then hang around for only a very brief time. Having lived most of my life in NE PA, and being here only 3 years, 34 certainly isn't COLD by PA standards! St. Anthony is my "go-to-guy" as well. Can't ever recall him letting me down, even if the item turned up at a later date.
                      Linda

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jun 2011

Funny [odd] about the stores being open on Thanksgiving. Many years ago, about 45, I worked for a discount store and we were open on Thanksgiving. It was not a choice to work but the management made us a really nice lunch and I actually enjoyed the day. I was far from my family and it was nice to be around my "work family" that day.
                        Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• Lilly
                          Missouri Star
                          • May 2013

Missouri here I come!!! It was supposed to be 8* this morning and I assume that was right. Coldest day since last February. Breaking some records here. Have to wait til Monday to put a command hook on the outside door for the wreath (they don't work too well in this cold). Good news is - my wifi is working better and I can read the Forums!!

Comment

• Genny
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2011

It's pretty chilly here but supposed to get really cold tonight, somewhere around 8 degrees...way too cold for this time of year. Oops...Iowa decided to join in... I'm pretty close to Missouri...can I stay?
                            Last edited by Genny; November 23, 2013, 02:01 PM.
                            TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

• mspepper
                              Batting Beauty
                              • Sep 2013

Adding my two cents. I'm in MN and started the day with -5, warmed all the way up to 18.5 (our current temp) at 60 pm. I will say, it is too darn early for it to be this cold.
                              :icon_wave:Lisa

Comment

Working...
                              X