PDA

View Full Version : DH in Hospital

Loonwatcher
April 12th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Hi all,

Sounds like the wind is howling outside but supposed to be a lovely day; weatherwise anyway.

My DH was taken from work by ambulance yesterday with chills and shakes. Had this last week too with other typical flu symptoms. Came on instantly and went away in couple days. When it came on instantly again yesterday I knew it wasn't the flu. He's temp was 103.5 and it turns out he has an infection somewhere. Because he has an artificial aortic valve the big concern is that it's there (if so, may mean another open heart surgery). So they kept him overnight to do more tests today to find the infection and treat accordingly. So my day is in limbo while we see what's actually going on. Scary though. We've been together longer than not...he was 17 and I was 18 when we got married 39 years (come June) ago. High school sweethearts.

Hoping for the best,

twnkeyes
April 12th, 2011, 07:14 AM
You sound like a strong woman. I will be praying for you and your husband.

magx
April 12th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Nancy, Iím sure he will be ok, he sounds like he is a very strong boy, just to cope with a quilter pass the test. We will be praying for a very speedy recovery. Keep your chin up, and think positive. My grandmother of 103 Y/o broke her heap last week, we never thought of her recovering. Friday was the surgery, by Saturday she was walking, and today she is sitting on the chair of her hospital room. If she can recover from this, everyone can. Lots and Lots of love Maggie from Down Under.

rebeccas-sewing
April 12th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Magx,

Your grandmother sounds like quite a tough lady. How wonderful that she is jumping back so quickly. "Go Grandma!!!"
Nancy, I’m sure he will be ok, he sounds like he is a very strong boy, just to cope with a quilter pass the test. We will be praying for a very speedy recovery. Keep your chin up, and think positive. My grandmother of 103 Y/o broke her heap last week, we never thought of her recovering. Friday was the surgery, by Saturday she was walking, and today she is sitting on the chair of her hospital room. If she can recover from this, everyone can. Lots and Lots of love Maggie from Down Under.

rebeccas-sewing
April 12th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Nancy,

Keep us posted. We're all concerned about your husband and hoping they quickly discover and solve the problem.

Rebecca

wicked
April 12th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Nancy:

I too am married to my childhood sweetheart. Alot of people don't realize how deep that love runs. It's all you know. I hope he makes a fast recovery and doesn't require any more surgery.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.....stay strong.

Hugs

Blondie
April 12th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Nancy, I am praying right this minute. For hubs and you. Will be waiting for an update.

suzette58
April 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I will keep the both of you in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there

Shirley
April 12th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Praying for you and your husband Nancy. Pray it will be a good day.

debinmalaga
April 12th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Nancy, you and your husband are both in my thoughts!

patticakes
April 12th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Prayers for you & DH! He is under the best care and they will uncover the problem soon! I'll be thinking of you today and watching for an update! Hugs to you!!

Sandy Navas
April 12th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Very special prayers being said. Keep us posted!

tamsterg7
April 12th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Saying prayers for you - My Dad had the same thing back in January and it was a bacterial infection. It really came on fast and took him down quickly, but with IV antibiotics and fluids he was out of the hospital in a few days and then just on oral antibiotics. Hope they get your DH on the healing path quickly!

SuzyQue
April 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Prayers for you and your husband, Nancy. May you find peace and may he find health. SuzyQue

Loonwatcher
April 12th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Magx, so glad your granny is doing so well!

Loonwatcher
April 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. They must be working, because when I called this morning his temp, BP and pulse were all normal and he feel like his old self. The cardiologist wants more blook work before they do the echo-whatever to look at his heart and valve which they now will do tomorrow AM. Meanwhile DH (Mr. Hyper) is now happy having to stay in the hospital while he feels ok. Men can be such whiners - let them try having a baby! So I'll go spend time with him this afternoon and we'll see how the test goes tomorrow. At least he feels better.

Tamsterg7 - glad your dad came through it so well. Hopefully DH will too!

bakermom
April 12th, 2011, 12:17 PM
how scary for both of you. prayers continue for you.

patticakes
April 12th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Very good news Nancy! Will continue to keep you both in prayers till he comes home safe and sound!!

mrswindy4
April 12th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Nancy....prayers for you and your soul mate! My Hub went through something similiar almost 6 years ago....he's fine today! I'm sure your Hub will be too!!

Magx....Go Granny Go!! What a remarkable woman!!!

Mia
April 12th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Hi honey..... I'm adding my prayers too. May God bless you and hold you tightly in His arms as you wait. I pray also that the tests will show there isn't any involvement with his heart and it will be something easily treated.

Sunnyok
April 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM
You are in my thoughts, here's to a speedy recovery!

quiltingtrish
April 12th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Prayers for your husband and a speedy recovery. Glad to hear they are keeping him for more tests and it's not one of those hospitals that just release him and not have a clue why he got so sick.

Hugs,

RFREE
April 12th, 2011, 09:07 PM
So sorry to hear your husband is sick. I will be praying for you both. Stay strong for him and take care of yourself.God bless.
Rhonda

MaryB
April 12th, 2011, 09:17 PM
My thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery are with you both too, Nancy.

Mag, that is an incredible story. My very best wishes to your grandmother - what an inspiration!!

Mary B.

magx
April 13th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Nancy, very glad to hear that he is complaining and winging around, sound he is a LOT better. You will be in my thoughts and prays. Lots of love from here.

Just for the curious ones, here is a pic of Nanny on her 102 birthday party. Her name is Alice and she was born in Aug 1908. She is an antique. She still remembers the beginning of the electricity. I think she is built with the old stuff, like the old ford. Her mottos are "Nothing is greater than love", and "You do what you can, with what you got and enjoy it.".
Just a funny story from last Friday before the surgery, the Dr ask her if she understood what it meant DNR (Do Not Resuscitate); her answer - I don’t think I have any appointments. She still a character ant 102. God bless her.
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/album.php?albumid=303&attachmentid=4504

Loonwatcher
April 13th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Maggie, love the pic of your Nanny. What a sweetheart.

DH Update - worst case scenario (the infection being in his heart or artificial aortic valve) has been ruled out. Doing an ab cat scan tonight to check those organs. the infection could be in his spine. His temp keeps spiking, white blood cell count is up, so his body is definately trying to fight off something. He's getting discouraged and is sick of being in the hospital. He's such an active person, it's hard for him to be down like this. I'm just getting tired. But I feel good that it's going to be ok.

Mia
April 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
That IS good news Nancy ........ his heart valve being healthy. We'll just keep on praying that it's something very easily cured. God is good.

Loonwatcher
April 13th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Yay! All his abdominal organs are ok. They found the infection near the appendix and can treat it with antibiotics. Tonight he gets is every 6 hrs. for 1/2 hr. then, hopefully, come home with pills tomorrow.

Thanks for all your prayers. They worked!!!:icon_tup:

Blondie
April 13th, 2011, 09:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/1125541.jpg

I am rejoicing with you. Thank you for letting us all know!
Blessings to you both, Nancy

Blondie

Carol_Ann
April 13th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I pray all goes well for you both.

NM Lady
April 13th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Hope everything is ok with DH. Will keep you and your family in my prayers.

janluna
April 13th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Nancy, I'm praying for you and your husband. Have they checked his appendix? That can come and go for a while. I'm praying it's not his heart. Hugs, Jan

magx
April 14th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Hi Nancy, In glad of the good news!, He will be a himself in no time, Hope antibiotics works well,so he could be back home by the weekend. Love, from us, Magx

Loonwatcher
April 14th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Set back. Because the infection has grown into an absess right by the appendix (which is inflamed) they have to do a small surgical procedure to try to drain it and perhaps put in a drain tube. The bacteria is such a risk for him because he has an artificial heart valve. also because of the valve he normally takes blood thinners so 3am tomorrow mornign they have to give him plasma to clot his blood so they can do the procedures while continuing the heavy antibiotic doses. They don't want to remove his appendix now because they don't want to disturb the bacteria possibly making them move elsewhere. So that means a few months after this is all over he'll have to have his appendix out then to avoid the risk of this happening then.

Just when you think things are looking up you get knocked down again.....sheesh!

mrswindy4
April 14th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Nancy....my husband also has an artificial heart valve (mitral valve). His was caused from an infected tooth he had pulled and didnt take an antibiotic first, the infection spread to his blood stream and settled on his valve. It took close to 3 months, but he is well healed up now...

It could be a long haul for you and your husband...but it can be overcome. Turn it over to God....thats my answer for everything, and so far, its worked for my husband!!
Prayers for health and healing for your husband!!

debinmalaga
April 14th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Hang in there, Nancy. We're here for you.

Sandy Navas
April 14th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Keeping him on top of my prayer list!!

Loonwatcher
April 14th, 2011, 10:36 PM
thanks y'all!

Carol_Ann
April 14th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Hi Nancy,
Just checking back to see if there has been any improvement since this morning.Thanks for all your updates to keep us informed. Please know that we are all praying for you both and are here to lend an ear and shoulder whenever needed. God bless.

quiltingtrish
April 14th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the update - still praying for your husband. Sounds like they have a plan to get him all better even though it will take some time. Prayers for you too Sweetie. It surely can't be easy on your part either.

Hugs,

magx
April 14th, 2011, 11:50 PM
hang in there, be strong... sending your way a big dose of love and hope. Magx

shell.scraps
April 15th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Praying so hard for you and your family!!!

MaryB
April 15th, 2011, 04:40 AM
More thoughts and prayers coming your way, Nancy.
Love and best wishes to you both. Mary B.

Loonwatcher
April 18th, 2011, 09:39 PM
He's home! YAY! Got a drainage tube and a bunch of meds and appointments, but we are all delighted that he's home!

mrswindy4
April 19th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Thats great Nancy!!! Prayers are still going to continue until your Hub is feeling back to his old self!!

meemeecyn
April 19th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Glad to hear that your hubby is home, Nancy. It must have been scary for you both. I'm sure he will continue to improve with the wonderful TLC he will get now that he is back in his comfy home with his private and loving caregiver! :)