• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

JFK

They are doing a series on the Today show this week because it is the anniversary of his death. I was six and in first grade and we were watching the presidents parade crossed legs on the floor and saw the shooting live. They didn't have cut's back in those day's, so the whole thing ran. I still think about it to this day.

I wonder if things would of been different if he had become president.
    🌺 Lorie
  • Mchelem
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2013

Re: JFK

He DID become president. He was the youngest president ever elected, and the first Roman Catholic to hold office. He was actually running again when he was shot.

My son laughed at me last night because I have 74 shows on my DVR and 70 of them are Kennedy related.

They are doing a whole 50th anniversary thing here in Dallas Friday...... I too wonder how much things would be different if he hadn't been assassinated.
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

• Hulamoon
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2012

oops, sorry, lost my history there. If he stayed president. I didn't study presidents very much, just thinking back to watching it and how scary it was.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Mchelem
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
        oops, sorry, lost my history there. If he stayed president. I didn't study presidents very much, just thinking back to watching it and how scary it was.
        Yeah- this entire month has been shows and magazines about him and his "legacy" cut short.

I received a replica of the 1963 newspaper from a friend. JFK and the assassination is a BIG DEAL in our household-even though I wasn't born until 10 years after his death. I have always been fascinated by him and the whole story.
        "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

• Sharyn J
          Missouri Star
          • Oct 2012

I was 18 years old and at my job at the time of the announcement. Everything and everyone went silent in disbelief. Then we cried. We only had a few TV channels in those days and everything was up for view. There was little editing of coverage. The day of President Kennedy's funeral, we all sat in front of the TV watching the black horse with no rider lead the funeral possession. It was one of the saddest days.

Comment

• auntiemern
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2012

I was in the 2nd grade, home sick from school that day. Mom was in the kitchen cooking formula (yeah they did that back then), when it happened. The tv was on Another World when they broke in with the announcement. I ran in the kitchen to tell mom, and she thought I must have misheard. When she came in the living room and heard for herself she stood there and began to cry. We were watching everything else unfold as it happened and were glued to the tv for the next several days. I was 7 yrs old, and remember that like it was yesterday. It was a lot for a 7 yr old to absorb and understand.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

• Judy~Ann
              The Guild President
              • Mar 2011

I too am fascinated by the subject. I was a young mother on that day in November, 1963 and we were all devastated. In those days government officials and celebrities had their privacy ... so we weren't privy to the information we have today. We didn't know that he suffered from Addison's disease, nor did we know he was notoriously having affairs... ladies actually procured for him by the CIA and even his brother... that he was arm in arm with the Mafia... only that he was our beloved JFK who was murdered in front of our eyes. I will also wonder what would have happened in our country if JFK lived and LBJ never became president. What would have happened in Viet Nam? So many questions never to be answered. A sad day for our country and it's so hard to believe it was 50 years ago.
              ~ Judy

When God adds a period, I'm trying very hard not to add a question mark!

Comment

• ksap
                Binding Belle
                • Sep 2013

I also was in first grade the day we lost John Kennedy. I attended a Catholic school so we immediately started praying the rosary. The nuns were all crying and I remember being sad and scared. It's as if the world stopped for a minute or two and all of these years later, we all remember exactly what we were doing when our president was shot. The world is still a sad and scary place but just as JFK did, we have to always have hope. Hope for a better time and hope that the future will bring an end to injustice for mankind.

May God rest his soul.
                KAREN from Kansas

"Sometimes," said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." by A.A. Milne

Comment

• MRoy
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2011

I was in the 5th grade when the 4th grade teacher came to the door and told our teacher. I think anyone who was old enough in 1963 to understand what was happening remembers where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.
                  *~* Myrna *~*
                  *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• bakermom
                    Missouri Star
                    • Sep 2010

I was in 4th grade and the principal made the announcement over the p a system. we had a moment of silence. On the day off his funeral what sticks in my mind is that my dad came in from work to watch it with my mom. Dad farmed, and he was neverin the house during the day unless it was for a meal
                    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• bubba
                      Missouri Star
                      • Mar 2013

I was also in the first grade. All I really remember, because I didn't quite understand, was we got sent home from school in the middle of the day, which was unheard of. When I got home, my mom and her friends were there crying.
                      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• alliek
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2011

I was a young woman, 20, working for Chase Manhattan Bank at 18 Pine Street in New York. My friend Betty and I went to lunch, knowing nothing until we went into the luncheonette and the waitress and several other women were crying and the place was really really quiet for a NY eatery at that time. We found out and headed back to the office, we were dismissed early and did not work the next day either. It was heartbreaking and scary, I can still see where I was as clear as anything when I think back to that time. It was so traumatic, then watching Oswald get shot. Unbelievable.

Comment

• Kelly F
                          The Guild President
                          • Jul 2013

I just saw where the horse was immortalized as a statue.. Interesting factoid.
                          :icon_wave:

Have a wonderful day!

Friend me on Facebook under Kelly Howell Faulconer

Comment

• Sandy Navas
                            Missouri Star
                            • Dec 2010

Like others, I'll never forget where I was when I heard this horrible news! Won't give away my age, but today when I drive by the spot where I was waiting to make a left-hand turn into an office building parking lot the memory flashes in front of me - and I pass there quite often. Oh, if only . . .
                            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• JanFasano
                              9 Patch Princess
                              • May 2013

Yes, I am fascinated by JFK. I was at home changing diapers. I had a two boys---a two and a four year old. We took in Foster babies to earn a little extra money. They would bring us newborns straight from the hospital, for few weeks until they were adopted out. ( Geez, I had forgot about that but I knew I was changing diapers.) I had to stop and figure this out as my two yr old was NOT still in diapers. I had forgotten about the foster babies.

At the time, it seemed like the Whole World Stopped!!! It was so scary as NO-one knew exactly what was going on in our world. Was it someone who was going to wipe out our whole gov or What??? Most of JFK's cabinet were in route to Europe for a summit of some sort. They had to be turned around in Mid Air. The Secret Service wanted to get LBJ out of Dallas ASAP---as everyone was nervous it was a Gov take-over. I think I have every book written on the subject. As I was a young wife with 2 small children, I totally related to Caroline and John. I often wished I was in Jackie's shoes. That is until that fateful day.

I do believe it was the saddest week-end EVER. We were all glued to the TV---24/7. You didn't want to watch, but you had to know what was going to happen next.

One of the best books on the market today is the book written by Clint Hill. He was Mrs. Kennedy's Secret Service detail man. He spent more time with her those 3 yrs than he did with his own family. The book is "Mrs. Kennedy and Me". Well written. It took him 50 yrs to decide to write it and had to be talked into doing it. He was probably closer to her than anyone else on her staff. I would highly recommend it.

Mercy, you ALL were so young. First graders, and etc. I can't imagine how horrible it must have been for everyone so young and what could have been going thru your minds. Wondering what was going on in your little world. I know how horrific is was for me and I was suppose to be an adult.

Comment

Working...
                              X