PDA

View Full Version : We're Havin' a Heat Wave!

rebeccas-sewing
April 11th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Well, the Independent newspaper has declared that London is having a heatwave! Yep, for those of you not familiar with celsius the temperature has been very warm, a whopping 70 degree high, folks!!!!! (Of course, this is very amusing for me as a resident of warm and sunny Orange County, CA.) They said there is also a drought concern. WHAT??? As I recall it was gray, cloudy and raining 99.9% of the winter. The Brits do not take the sun and warm weather for granted. On the weekend we were in several parks and there were wall-to-wall people soaking up the sun. I told Joe it's like the first day it's warm enough to go to the beach in a swimsuit. People are there in droves. It was really wonderful to see so many folks outside enjoying themselves, including us. Taking tons of photos. So good to get Joe away from work for a few hours. The flowers are something to behold, friends! I have never seen so many flowers planted in public places. Outstanding!!!!

Blondie, I looked for you here this morning since you are often up very early. I'm hoping you're sleeping and getting your energy back. Menopause is definitely a disruption in a number of ways that i won't address but those darned flashes and sleepless hours are a real trial for us gals. Some ladies are luckier than others to pass through it with relative ease and others not so lucky. I feel for the unlucky ones among us. Doesn't help that you were sick on top of the sweats and sleeplessness, Blondie. I feel your pain.

Enjoy your Sunday ladies. I just finished an adorable (at least I think so) paper-pieced choo choo train quilt for my newest great-nephew. I'm going to try to post it. Wish me luck. LOL

Blondie
April 11th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Good morning Rebecca!
I think we were typing at the same time. I did walk away for about 15 minutes in the middle of what I was typing and almost forgot.
I did sleep better last night, thank you. The occasional PM works for me.

I am certain that those flowers in the early spring along with the warmth from the sun are a welcome oasis for you and others in that fair land. I betcha it does feel like a heat wave. I always think that the folks in the news biz always need to have something dour to say, droughts always a good one. I am so glad that you were able to enjoy the weather and dear Joe.

Off to "air scratch" this horrible rash.

rebeccas-sewing
April 11th, 2011, 08:37 AM
You just can't get a break! Itching is so beastly. Bleach sounds a bit extreme. How about a trip to the pharmacy for some advice from your pharmacist.

It doesn't feel like Monday to me. In fact, it's been Sunday for me up until I read your post. I kept thinking to myself, "I can't believe those guys are talking business on Sunday." Shame, shame, shame on them. LOL

Sandy Navas
April 11th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I am sending lots of sympathy hugs to Blondie. I've had a severe poison ivy outbreak for about five of the years since I've been back 'home'. One time it was so bad it was even under my toenails. I talked to some guys who were here clearing brush and trimming trees for us and asked them how they prevent outbreaks and they told me they wash down at night with Clorox if they think they have been exposed. One of my outbreaks was so bad that the doctors gave me prednisone shots to help clear it up. An old wives tale that I have used that worked really well the last time I had an outbreak was to wash with lye soap. I found some locally at a Ma & Pa Diner - I'm sure there are places in SC where Blondie could find some. I found it worked much better than the stuff I had previously tried like the typical calamine lotion, Ten-Ec and Ivarest. If I suspect the dreaded poison ivy again I am definitely reaching for Clorox and lye soap.

Lola2Ace
April 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Blondie, my kids are so bad with poison ivy, I think it goes looking for them! Anywhoooo, we found Tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy Scrub at WalMart and it's so good! Pricey stuff, but it works so well for them I don't mind the cost. We have even seen it cure the rash overnight! There are also some tiny white 'poison ivy pills' not sure what they are called but my brother asks the pharmacist for them and they show him where they are.

bakermom
April 11th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I had poison ivy REALLY bad one summer while pregnant. I couldn't take the usual shot/meds. but the Dr. had me go to the Rx and get Burrows solution. you dissolve the little packet in water, soak a cloth and lay it on the affected area.I had to do it several times a day but it did help.
when one DD got it in her eyes(yes it was awful!!) she took oral cortisone. Couldn't believe the difference it made for her.