PDA

View Full Version : Moda candy precuts

narmrn
November 18th, 2013, 03:46 AM
I bought a bunch of Candy precuts , the 2 1/2 inch squares, and now I do not have a clue what to do with them. I also have the template for the 2.5 in tumbler. I was thinking about doing flying geese with them and then assembling into potholders. If my squares for FG were 2 1/2 inches - what size base square would that require....feeling pretty dense tonight...or I am open to any other ideas for patterns....I did see the tutorial on this site but wanted to do something other than a simple square of tumblers.

HdWench
November 18th, 2013, 05:22 AM
I bought some of these too thinking they would be useful for putting on the bottom's of Charms? You know how they snowball them? Other than that... will bump this up and sure someone has a great idea that they have used, or can find to ohhh and ahhh us :-)

Debbie :icon_bump:

easyquilts
November 18th, 2013, 07:12 AM
I think they are just cute to look at!

Sandy Navas
November 18th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Double Irish chain quilt????????? Why not? Yeah, I know, so many different patterns - but, well, why not?

Lisapc
November 18th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Silly goose quilt
Snowballing blocks
Irish chain
coin quilt

teeny tiny 1/2 square triangles?

snippet
November 18th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I bought a BUNCH of them while I was at the M* retreat center. They are just too cute not to pass them up.

I'm going to use them to make a periwinkle quilt. I also bought the template and the papers for this size. I know it will take a LOT of candy packs to make a quilt of any size, but I'm gonna do it.

Sharyn J
November 18th, 2013, 12:56 PM

I made a table topper from Jenny's magazine with the squares. They're also perfect size for mimi tumbler template; made some bags and pouches. I'm going to piece some together for a fabric box and haven't decided what to do with the rest that I have here. Sometimes, I think they're just too cute to cut, so I hoard them for awhile. LOL

Peggy Anne
November 18th, 2013, 09:56 PM
My granddaughter just made two zigzag table runners. I told her I would cut the left over charms to 2 1/2 so she can make a small tumbler pot holder to match the table runners.

Auntpiggylpn
November 19th, 2013, 01:11 AM
I've purchased several of these cute little buggers! I bought them specifically for my scrappy Hexie quilt that will not have any repeats of the same fabric.

Kgrammiecaz
November 19th, 2013, 01:18 AM

I made a table topper from Jenny's magazine with the squares. They're also perfect size for mimi tumbler template; made some bags and pouches. I'm going to piece some together for a fabric box and haven't decided what to do with the rest that I have here. Sometimes, I think they're just too cute to cut, so I hoard them for awhile. LOL

Love the pouch was it easy

DianaP
November 19th, 2013, 01:36 AM
I love to use them to make mini zig zag table runners. They are perfect for small narrow tables.

Shirley
November 22nd, 2013, 09:13 AM

Very cute! Love the little pouch.

Sheena
January 1st, 2014, 07:55 AM
My DD and DSs bought me two packs for my birthday. They are too cute to use. I thought I'd make a Cathedral Window. Does anyone know what size square the plain bit should be (ie the backing-foldy bit)? And does anyone have a piccie they can post?

Bubby
January 1st, 2014, 08:34 AM
I'm going to use my minis to make tiny tumblers to alternate in rows with 5" tumblers. I love the pattern for the Summer Bazaar quilt I made last year and want to make a smaller version for a table topper or runner.

easyquilts
January 1st, 2014, 08:36 AM
Double Irish chain quilt????????? Why not? Yeah, I know, so many different patterns - but, well, why not?

Good idea..

Pandabear
January 1st, 2014, 11:26 AM
I have a few. I was going to use with the mini tumblers . Then after watching then Loose Change tutorial, I decided to try a small lap quilt with the candys and charm packs. Haven't yet.... it's on my todo list.

Jean Sewing Machine
January 1st, 2014, 12:24 PM
Look at Moda Bake Shop, they have a bunch of cute projects for these featured!

Moda Bake Shop (http://www.modabakeshop.com/)

Simply Quilting
January 2nd, 2014, 01:48 AM
Look at Moda Bake Shop, they have a bunch of cute projects for these featured!

Moda Bake Shop (http://www.modabakeshop.com/)

Thank you for the link. I found a cute pattern I want to do.

stationarymom
January 2nd, 2014, 04:17 AM
what about a granny quilt square?

ncgrammie
January 3rd, 2014, 08:50 AM
Some time ago I ran an online search for candy bar quilt patterns and found a cute wall hanging on the Moda site. I'm sorry, but I can't find it now though. It called for cutting all the candy bars in half before starting and isn't that what the candy is anyway? Essentially you end up making some flying geese and pinwheels when you put the blocks together.Very cute. I wish I had the link but I ended up saving the pattern on my Ipad. I am working on the pattern now.

They are so precious that it was hard to open the packs and use them, but I'm glad I did.

I found the name...it is Candy Bar Pinwheels by Doug Leko.

Cathy F
January 3rd, 2014, 10:00 AM
I don' remember where I saw it but it was a great idea using them for a little Christmas quilt or table topper. The Moda candies were sewn together in rows, and randomly through out the rows One had a strip of fabric on it vertically and a little bow on top, that looked like a gift box.

ncgrammie
January 3rd, 2014, 01:12 PM
I don' remember where I saw it but it was a great idea using them for a little Christmas quilt or table topper. The Moda candies were sewn together in rows, and randomly through out the rows One had a strip of fabric on it vertically and a little bow on top, that looked like a gift box.

I saw that somewhere too Cathy. They were adorable! Individual ones would also be cute on a Christmas tree wall hanging.

Susann
January 21st, 2014, 05:44 PM
How about trying English Paper piecing? I use the mini charms to make the 1 1/2 in diamonds in the 6 point stars.

BOOBOOBEAR9999
February 7th, 2014, 04:52 PM
I use them to make hexies with. English paper piecing. They are the perfect size for1" hexies.

easyquilts
February 7th, 2014, 07:16 PM
I think they are just cute to look at!

I just look at mine! They are so cute... I bought them with the idea of using them to snowball my charms.

ozziepuppy
February 9th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I use them to make hexies with. English paper piecing. They are the perfect size for1" hexies.

Where do you get your hexie templates?

ozziepuppy
February 9th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I bought a bunch of Candy precuts , the 2 1/2 inch squares, and now I do not have a clue what to do with them. I also have the template for the 2.5 in tumbler. I was thinking about doing flying geese with them and then assembling into potholders. If my squares for FG were 2 1/2 inches - what size base square would that require....feeling pretty dense tonight...or I am open to any other ideas for patterns....I did see the tutorial on this site but wanted to do something other than a simple square of tumblers.

Where did you buy them? For some reason I can't find them in the M* Quilt Shop! I'm pretty sure they sell them, but I can't find them! (Don't laugh!) :(

K. McEuen
February 9th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Where did you buy them? For some reason I can't find them in the M* Quilt Shop! I'm pretty sure they sell them, but I can't find them! (Don't laugh!) :(

View All - Missouri Quilt Co. (http://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/browse?q=mini+charm)

just have to search for mini charm

ozziepuppy
February 9th, 2014, 05:05 PM
View All - Missouri Quilt Co. (http://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/browse?q=mini+charm)

just have to search for mini charm

Thanks. I think I searched on "moda candy" and on "charm."

Booklady
February 25th, 2014, 04:25 PM
I watch a tutorial on Missouri Star quilt this am 5 and Dime tutorial with moda fabrics. It came right after the four seasons quilt that was on NBC news. Its a cute quilt using charms and candies. Certainly looks easy.

Sheena
February 25th, 2014, 07:55 PM
You could include them in a Jelly Roll Race style quilt.