PDA

View Full Version : Night Owls- Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat!

Lisapc
November 14th, 2013, 01:23 AM

That is my son Peter and granddaughter Kora making Christmas ornaments/decorations last year. Every year I set them up at our dining room table with supplies and just let them have at it. Last year we used foam, glitter glue and who knows what else and some got hooks for the tree and some got magnets to hang onto the fridge. This year our ornaments involve sea shells and air dry clay and a lot of glitter, paint and glue! Some years I have far more ambition and time than others. Maybe I will have them make fabric ornaments?

So did you make ornaments with your kids, nieces/nephews? What did you make? What about when you were a kid?

Miss Sheri
November 14th, 2013, 01:32 AM
I took canning jar lids (gold colored) and glued them together with a ribbon between the lids. Then, I let my kids choose scenes from old Christmas cards that we drew circles around their favorite bits and glued them onto the canning lids. It made double sided ornaments that were edged with the gold rim of the lids. Some were very pretty, some were nativity, some were silly, like Santa golfing. I still have some of those and hang them up every year.

pcbatiks
November 14th, 2013, 02:25 AM
I do remember one year making some ornaments with my mom........we made little drums from toilet paper rolls & soldiers from old style clothes pins. One soldier in particular became a still running family joke. My mom painted the face & marked the eyes & mouth before the paint dried & then tried to correct it.....he looked sick :D .....that was probably about 40 years ago and to this day we call that one "The Blue Face Soldier" and we insist that he has a place of honor on the front of the Christmas tree.

I don't think we ever made ornaments with our son but we would always go to a store that set up every year with lots of trees decorated in all different themes & ornaments. We had a great time looking at all the ornaments with him & we would usually add a new ornament to our collection each year. Our son made several ornaments at school each year when he was little.......and we still put those on the tree. :)

Andrea F
November 14th, 2013, 02:37 AM
When my kids were still kids we made ornaments for christmas and stars made of straw and golden foil sheets. Now I meet once or twice every year with my sister and we make one or two Aurelio stars. They are really tricky to make because they are put together by folding 30 square sheets in a certain way and then you have to plug (and glue) them together. We also make our Advents wreaths every year. We buy wreaths wrapped with evergreens and then decorate them. My sisters kids "help". In most years I donīt have so much time, so this is the only christmas crafting for me. Sometimes I find the time to join when they do some crafting in kindergarden, but not as often as I wish to.

MayinJerset
November 14th, 2013, 02:43 AM
My boys liked to make Christmas cards instead of ornaments. They did make some in school, Bob made a Sputnik one, foam ball with toothpicks stuck in it and sprayed gold. A few years ago he noticed it wasn't on our tree as it had just dried up and fell apart. I made him a new one that he could put on his own tree. Let's see, youngest son made a silver bell, a small paper up covered with foil that we still use, middle son made some ornaments also but right now I can't remember what they were. I will once I begin trimming our tree this year.

Only holiday decoration as a child were strips of colored rings that I made in school. Think my brother and I tried to string some popcorn one year but that didn't turn out well. My mother bought a bunch of plastic Christmas balls to put on the lower branches of our Christmas tree so the kids wouldn't keep breaking the glass ones. Those plastic Christmas balls didn't break when the kids touched them and they feel off of the tree, they bounced up and the kids played games with them.

Our living room tree has special Christmas ornaments, old ones from our 1st tree in 1955, ones purchased over the years and ones bought by family on their trips in the US and Europe. Still have one small strawberry ornament from out first tree and that always goes near the top under the angel. 2nd tree has ornaments made by grandkids when they were small as well as Santas and snowmen, I buy a new Santa every year.

Now I'm getting anxious to get some trees up and some decorations around the house but that will wait until after Thanksgiving. First Christmas thing we do is put the wreaths on the doors, they go up early and stay up the longest.

Genny
November 14th, 2013, 02:46 AM
I have a little ornament...heaven help me I still after 39 years don't know what its supposed to be:icon_beuj:...that my oldest daughter made in school out of one of the little egg cups from a foam egg carton. She made it in kindergarten and was so proud of it! Genny

QuiltingRN
November 14th, 2013, 02:52 AM
I still have some of the ornaments the kids made in school, they still go on the tree!

My daughter made three little angels out of ceramic. She was very young, and they are interesting angels. I put them out every year. I love the stuff the kids made!

Lindagie
November 14th, 2013, 03:10 AM
I don't remember making any ornaments at home as a child except some made out of tiny embroidery hoops; they were wrapped with ribbon and tied together at the top and bottom where the two pieces came together. Some of them had mistletoe at the top with the hangar. I do have the ornaments that my kids made with my mom and the ones they made at school. I still put them on the "little" tree every year. I remember saving a lot of tuna cans and lids or canning rings for their projects. I should probably give them to the kids one of these days, along with many of the ornaments they recieved when they were little.
I have a lot of those beaded ornaments that my mom made in her later years; seems like she did a lot more crafty things as she got older (sounds like me. LOL!)

HdWench
November 14th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Lisa, your son and granddaughter look precious! Very intent on doing a good job :-)

My mom wasn't crafty at all!! She taught me how to sew, then had her sisters and mom teach me other things. She was too busy raising us 3 kids and some times my dad was stationed over seas without us. My daughter made a few things before she left and they are kept wrapped up. I don't dare put them on a tree where our cats could damage them!!

I bought DH's kids each an animal one to help Humane society. We put those up, and somewhere popped up a candy cane with Reindeer antlers that needs re-gluing?? No idea where or who it came from, but it's probably 20 years old and not edible anymore

Can't wait to try that Fabric wrapped ball! Got the pins, balls and some fabric today and I bet these will be a fun craft for kids?

toggpine
November 14th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Em made a cinnamon gingerbread boy in Kindergarden. It will probably be around until it crumbles, although I think it was designed to last until they have kids.
I found she brings home more Thanksgiving decorations than Christmas ones. Apparently the December theme is Gingerbread, and Christmas is not really endorsed as OK at school these days. Bah & humbug!

Well, at least we keep it in our own home and neighborhood.

Mchelem
November 14th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Em made a cinnamon gingerbread boy in Kindergarden. It will probably be around until it crumbles, although I think it was designed to last until they have kids.
I found she brings home more Thanksgiving decorations than Christmas ones. Apparently the December theme is Gingerbread, and Christmas is not really endorsed as OK at school these days. Bah & humbug!

Well, at least we keep it in our own home and neighborhood.

That really irritates me too..... My kids can't celebrate Christmas because its a "religious" holiday, yet other students can leave the room if there's a class party because their religious beliefs don't allow them to participate. (So it's okay for those students to bring THEIR religion I to school, but not others) And then some students leave the room if the kids say the pledge to the flag, because of their beliefs.... Why is okay for them, but not others? If they told them no, someone would cry foul.

(I'm not trying to debate religion, just venting I guess about inequality at schools)

bubba
November 14th, 2013, 06:46 AM
When I was growing up, my mother did no do crafts with us. The extent of us making decorations extended to dyed Easter eggs at Easter and the frosted sugar cookies at Christmas.

Now those cookies were works of art, don't get me wrong! She purchased the Tupperware cookie cutters (you know, the fancy ones that looked like they should probably have numbered sections for paint by number!). Anyway, she would spend a day making these things and then one Saturday in December, she would gather all five of us girls around the kitchen table (we had no brothers), and would make little bowls of powder sugar icing that we would get to add food coloring to ourselves! How exciting was that?? We would spend a couple hours frosting those things!!!

I know when I married and had the girls, I found some of those cutters at a garage sale, and yes, I did buy them. However, that was the end of that! We did do frosted cookies, but they were just very plain basic shapes, and we had a good time doing it! I still do that every year w/my grandkids.

HdWench
November 14th, 2013, 09:20 AM
It is sad that God has been kicked out of School. well not as sad as makes the blood pressure go up - When our great great whatever came to this country, they changed names to fit in, they WANTED to speak good English and to become an American in every way. They would be ashamed at what some people have done to our country now :icon_rolleyes:

Lisapc
November 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Schools! Drives me crazy what they allow and don't allow. I am very lucky that last year my son's teacher sent home a letter that explained that she celebrates Christmas and feels it is an important part of learning about others family traditions and although planned on staying away from heavy themes she wanted any parent who had concerns or had any other holiday tradition or belief to please contact her before a certain date so that the children would not miss out any experience or knowledge that they could be a part of. We had a week to respond and although it was primarily Christmas and Hanuka that were celebrated no one was offended or had a complaint. My son brought home a beautiful Christmas tree in the same bag as his very own Dreidel that he chose from a prize bag. Include them all don't exclude any is the best way to give your child a more complete view of the world and teach them to be tolerant of others.

Thank you all for sharing your ideas and experiences here. It has been fun to read, as always!