PDA

View Full Version : Up all by myself, where are the Night Owls?

MayinJerset
November 12th, 2013, 02:21 AM
Shhh, Maybe they are all sound asleep. Each day I have been trying to increase my activity and the results are I am getting more things done but also that I fall asleep early. I remember DH handing me the TV remote after we watched Jeopardy but have no idea what I watched so I probably feel asleep before 8pm. 4 hours sleep at a clip is pretty good. Gave the kitchen a go over, all counters and stove cleaned and dishwasher is running so after I check up here I'll see what mischief I can get into before catching a few more winks.

Came across last year's Christmas gift list and started remembering some odd ball gifts we have received in the past. Like the Saturday Night Fever silky shirt my sister gave my son Bob one year - he certainly wasn't the disco type and the fabric was ugly. What is the ugliest or dumbest Christmas gift you or one of your family ever received?

Jean Sewing Machine
November 12th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Working on IQ project! Hoe to sleep well tonight!

Mpyles
November 12th, 2013, 02:31 AM
I was wondering where they all are too?? Lisa wasn't feeling well yesterday...so hopefully she is doing ok.
Crazy gifts?? My mom bought DH a kids animal caller.....not sure if she really knew what she was giving.ll.or maybe confused about the intention...haha...we gave it to the grand nephews!

This year, we as a family have decided to adopt a family...have the perfect one in mind.. My niece is a single mother of 4! She gave birth to 3 of them, and the sibling of the kids is in her care...(brother from another mother) anyhow, the boys started kindergarten and she is now babysitting during the day during the week and working doubles on the weekends. Bad choice of men....leads to deadbeat dads....so it's just her providing the care for these kids...she does ok but has no disposable money...so we picked her!
we are quite excited!

Night night all!!

KathieB
November 12th, 2013, 03:02 AM
I'm here. The grandkids just came in from work with their 2 young boys. The furnace in their apartment gave out Saturday and the landlord discovered it wasn't an "easy fix" on Sunday. Their youngest is 8mos. and was in the PICU just over a week ago with bronchiolitis. Needless to say, they needed a warmer place to stay. Today the repairman told them it will probably be fixed on Thursday. The boys and DH are in our room: MIL in her room: grandkids on the sofa bed in the livingroom and I'm in my sewing room/office, which runs the length of the house. We just put the trundle bed together in there last month for times like this!

I'm going back to work on the Christmas stockings and my Secret Pal gift. I'll check back in a while.

Mary, how nice to adopt a family for Christmas. That's what Christmas is all about! Bless you!

dwil23
November 12th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Mary, I think your idea is wonderful. It really is so much more fun to choose gifts for those that are truly in need.

Crazy gift? funny you should ask. Many, many years ago my aunt and uncle ordered a watch for one of my cousins, their youngest son. The watch did not come in in time for Christmas. It just so happened that their oldest son was working as a collection agent at a Finance company and one of his clients came in and gave him a "gold" watch. It was truly an ugly cheap watch. So, since the real gold watch had not arrived, they wrapped up this ugly watch and gave it to him. Of course, he acted like it was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, all the while trying to figure out how he was going to get out of wearing it! So, a tradition was born. For many years, this watch went back and forth to different recipients. The most often heard phrase heard at our annual Christmas gift opening was "it's that &@*^ watch!" Over the last 20 years or so, no one knew where the watch was. Well, that is until last weekend when the oldest son (who originally got the watch from a client) and his wife celebrated their 50th Anniversary. You guessed it, the youngest brother had located the watch and gave it to him as an anniversary gift! Funny thing is, while they were opening gifts, he was reminiscing about "the watch" and wondering what ever happened to it!

Andrea F
November 12th, 2013, 03:50 AM
Good morning, I am already up and almost ready to start my day. Just need some more coffee. I hope Lisa is feeling better today!

When I was 11 or 12 years old, my grand mother gave me two underwear panties for christmas. I was about to go with my class on a weeks school trip in the snow somewhere and they were obviously supposed to keep me warm because they were really really big. Like from the waist all the way down to the knees. We call such panties "Liebestöter" which can be translated in "love killers". One was in a disgusting green with flowers on it and the other one was in ugly tan colors.

HdWench
November 12th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Andrea I am laughing so hard about that translation Love Killers heheheheh

So glad you begin the Night Owls thread May! I slept from about noon until 10 pm and shaking out the cobwebs to get ready to begin sewing tonight. Hope Lisa and her son are feeling better SOON, sure miss her

Well when I turned 40 my older brother gave me this hideous 40th birthday Death Mug! It had a coffin on it, of course the Over the Hill thing -- could NOT wait until my next younger brother turned 40 - two years later.... HE had to keep it for 14 years to give to our "baby" brother. But in the meantime found it held a good amount of coffee and kept it!! Gosh did he catch heck from my baby brother who oddly wanted this disgusting "family" heirloom mug hehehe

Oh yeah, a few years ago we had no-one around at Christmas so no-reason to get the tree out or wrap - DH asked what I wanted -- Taco Flavored Dorito's !!! Had them as a teen and Dorito's just put them back on the market -- Guess that is kind of an odd present?

Another year I asked for a gas weed eater... we had a house on 1 acre in Dallas, hubby rode the tractor to mow and I'd have a string of cords reaching an Acre!! Hated it, so got my gas weed eater :-)

but I really want a pair of Love Killers now!! :-)

cyndiofthevortex
November 12th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Here I am! Here I am! May, this is a great topic for the night. It's very fun and I'm so glad you jumped in and started the thread. Good girl!

We were very poor growing up, so in order to have enough presents under the tree my parents would buy us all socks and underwear and wrap them up. Instead of from Santa mom would write "from the sock fairy" or "from the underwear fairy" so we'd know to open them privately. She'd also buy gifts for our dad and put each of our names on one.

One year when I was eight I was very stressed towards the end of present opening because I'd mistakenly opened the gift from the "underwear fairy" and my 5 siblings laughed and laughed at me. So I quickly picked up another gift with my name on it and opened it - and it was undershirts for my father! It had said "from Cyndi" and not "for Cyndi" on it. I was mortified and started to cry. My mom hushed all the laughing that ensued and after that it was a family joke as to who was going to give Cyndi men's undershirts for Christmas!

HdWench
November 12th, 2013, 05:05 AM
:icon_tup: Mary what a awesome idea!! They used to have "gift" trees in Banks and such, pull a name and age of a child and get them necessary items and some toys -- Have they done away with this ??

hmm I got to get out more

cyndiofthevortex
November 12th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Debbie, our church has a ministry to the children of fathers or mothers in prison. It may be called "Angel Tree" but I'm not sure. Wherever you are you could call churches in the area to find one. Perhaps prisons have their own program as well, and any civic group like the Firemen's Association would also be a good place to look. Our local library sponsors a family every year as well, and they always love to get help from the community. There are so many needy children at Christmas time. I know you could find a place for your generosity to be a blessing to one. Or more!

HdWench
November 12th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Thanks Cyndi, totally forgot the fire stations they still do that as well as our church. Just had not seen the banks doing this anymore - sad. We are so blessed to be able to quilt, there is a never ending list of kids with a need what a happy thing!

bkthomas
November 12th, 2013, 06:31 AM
I'm here! Just woke up also....the creeping crud is hanging on and on

Thanks May....Hello Cyndi....Hello Debbie......I miss Lisapc......and Dee......and Hoot Hoot to everyone else also!!!

MayinJerset
November 12th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Didn't think so many others got strange gifts, wonder where I can get some 'love killers' as it is getting pretty cold out.

Was hoping Lisa would pop up but she's probably sleeping the night away which is a good thing when you have a bad cold.

Cyndi, my mother used to give my teen/college age sons undershirts for Christmas but they didn't wear them so exchanged them for cash and gave the money to the boys. Told my mother to just put $5 in a card and the boys would be happy but she thought underwear was what they wanted. Until I moved from Brooklyn I would select her Christmas gifts but seems none of my sisters took up the chore after me hence males got underwear and females got slips - which we didn't wear either.

This is the addy for the Angel Tree Prison program www.prisonfellowship.org/AngelTree - it was one of the places suggested for memorial donations for my DIL that passed away the other week, the other was St. Jude's Children's Hospital.

We had a Giving Tree a work where we selected names to buy Christmas gifts for. One year the family I chose wanted a Ninetendo, something my own kids didn't have and something I couldn't afford to buy. I chose another envelope and got 2 brothers and since I had 3 boys I knew what they would like, a nice outfit, pj's, a book and a toy that boys loved. One of the local supermarkets has one as well as some of the churches. Nice idea to buy for others who don't have much instead of heaping more gifts upon kids who already have too much.

It is a little past 5 so I'm up for the day, think I'll get the coffee going so I can get a boost to get going on today's stuff.

Renate
November 12th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Good morning, I am already up and almost ready to start my day. Just need some more coffee. I hope Lisa is feeling better today!

When I was 11 or 12 years old, my grand mother gave me two underwear panties for christmas. I was about to go with my class on a weeks school trip in the snow somewhere and they were obviously supposed to keep me warm because they were really really big. Like from the waist all the way down to the knees. We call such panties "Liebestöter" which can be translated in "love killers". One was in a disgusting green with flowers on it and the other one was in ugly tan colors.

"Liebestöter" (Love Killers) Pantys are always good for a joke. If we want to use a more modern word, we call them "Sloggy longlonglong".

HdWench
November 12th, 2013, 08:36 AM
4:30 and I'm still up having my coffee with Blondie, Renate, Kathy, May and others who are getting up or stay up?

Renate always good to see you posting! Another funny name. Is it the drastic weather change that is giving everyone the crud early this year? Lisa and her little man, now Kathy you too? Maybe if you all come visit, this nice dry heat will cure you ! Though the dust blowing is bad. Now where is the Cleaning fairy??

Taking a break from sewing, going to audition some borders and grab pictures -- This is my favorite way to see what the fabrics look like next to a quilt. Do you all do that too?

Have a good day

MayinJerset
November 12th, 2013, 10:24 AM
"Liebestöter" (Love Killers) Pantys are always good for a joke. If we want to use a more modern word, we call them "Sloggy longlonglong".

Renate we call them "droopy drawers", big panties like old ladies used to wear. Might need a pair today as it is snowing this morning. Nothing is sticking but it is early for first snow in Jersey especially since I live near the ocean and we usually get more rain than snow.