PDA

View Full Version : Devastated...DH just called and told me he is being outprocessed..layoff

shell.scraps
April 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM
We have given 16 years and countless moves across the country for this company....I really have nothing to say...I'm in shock. We've never been without a paycheck before....I didn't even think about losing our insurance until I was talking to my mom and she was talking about picking up her scripts at the pharmacy....oh my god....what are we going to do....

sorry...I'm a mess right now...my hands are shaking and I just want to crawl under a rock and make it all go away...:(

EsGrandma
April 7th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Dear shell.scraps - so sorry to hear about your situation. Been there too (worked for the hospital for 19 years and 9 months - then laid off) I remember this as one of the worst moments. But, GOD had another plan for me and it was much better. You are in my prayers.

LanaMonteith
April 7th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Shell.Scraps, I'm so sorry for you both.. I'm sure that E's Geandma is absolutely right, God must have a pretty terriffic plan for you right now. I'll be praying for you and I know things look pretty grim to you but we're all here if you need us and it really will get better!!! Hope it is soon for you too!!!.

sally
April 7th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Hang in there! It will get better....there is always a silver lining to every cloud it just is hard to find sometimes but IT IS THERE! You and your family are in our prayers!

Loonwatcher
April 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
What a shocker that must be. As the others have said, there's a better plan out there waiting for you both. What kind of work does he do?

Hugs,

lindaw724472002
April 7th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I am so sorry. I have been there and got the Tshirt. First take a deep breath. There will be unemployment for awhile and maybe severance pay. That will keep you going for awhile and you can cobra you insurance for 18 months. I know it feels like you had a door slammed in your face but God doesn't close a door unless he opens a window. A window of oppertunity for a do over. Take it one day at a time and it will all work out I am living proof. God is good and he will watch over you and see you through this hard time. I will keep you in my prayers Linda

Elaine
April 7th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I'm sorry for you too. I know the feeling well. After working for someone for 12 years he just gave me the boot because he couldn't afford to pay me anymore. I too was devasted but this may be a blessing in disguise. I got another job, making more money, more friends, and it turned out to be a good thing. It will for you and your husband too. You'll see. God works in mysterious ways.

suzette58
April 7th, 2011, 01:33 PM
My brother went through this in 1989 when AT&T closed near the Pentagon. But, his pride wouldn't let him apply for unemployment. So, get what you deserve after all these years and you will find out there is life out there. In spite of hubby's employer. Hang in there. We are thinking of you and your family.

janluna
April 7th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I'm so sorry Michele. I know you must be shell shocked at the moment. But the girls are right, there will be a better job coming and a better chance maybe to stay in one place and not have to move around so much. They are right, God doesn't give us more than we can handle. Sometimes I wish He wouldn't trust us so much with this but He does. Just keep your head and you will be fine. Have a cup of tea, make a list of things you must do: checking on insurance, unemployment paperwork you will need, Think about where you would like to live. You can choose a place to call home and maybe get work that is less traveling. It will be a fresh start.
You are in my prayers. Hugs, Jan L

NM Lady
April 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of this. Keep your chin up and remember better times are on their way. God bless and take care.

Sandy Navas
April 7th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Special prayers being said for you and your family. Hang tough - What a shocker for you.

SummerK
April 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I'm so sorry you're going through this, but We're praying for you too.

quiltingtrish
April 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Oh Sweetie - I am praying for you and your family too. I can't imagine what a shock that must have been. But the gals are right. There is something better out there - it's just too bad that you don't know what it is yet. I always figured that at least He could give a clue. In the meantime, listen to the gals. Sit down with a cup of tea (or me - I'd have some coffee with a little strong of something put in it) and make a list of what you've got to do. Don't be too proud to get unemployment - it is there to help and he has paid into it for times like these.
Please stay in touch here and you can vent whatever you want. We are good listeners and advice givers -
In the meantime, here's a HUG for today,

newbiequilter
April 7th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Same sentiments here. You've paid into unemployment so take it. If your DH had insurance through his company then they probably owe you Cobra. It can be expensive but at least you will still have coverage. Then think about what expenses you can reduce or eliminate. Save as much of the severance as you can. I've been there too and unemployment is a blessing, just pay attention to when and how you need to report in to them. Sometimes unemployment offers classes or training, if so take advantage of it.

novice quilter
April 7th, 2011, 05:35 PM
When God closes a door He opens a window. I have also been there. I learned a lot through it, though. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Blondie
April 7th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Michele,
As with many others here, been there. I am so sorry this has happened. What a terrible and scarey time for both of you. Let me add that your hubs will need your support more than ever. He will feel like a failure and not a good provider. I don't want to sound as if I am trying to trivialize this, but this is where the rubber meets the road - you know as in for richer or poorer, for better and for worse? Stand together with a firm grip on each other. I will pray for you both.
Blondie

llm161
April 7th, 2011, 07:02 PM
My heart is with you and your family. In this downward economy it is something that we all live with. We hope and pray that it happens to "the other guy" but sometimes, it hits us hard. I have a friend that keeps telling me that God only gives us as much as we can handle and when things get tough, I try as hard as I can to remember that. We can handle it. We can do this.

Take care and talk about everything together. That's about the best advise I can give you. We have another three months before we find out if my DH still has a job. If they close the plant, it depends how many people are kept. Seniority means everything.

inspired
April 7th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Hugs to you from Canada!!!! My hubby worked for a company for 25 years without ever missing a day. They went bankrupt so he got another job and that company also went bankrupt a few years later. Like the girls said. Another window will open! It was hard at the time but it all worked out. He found another job and worked there till he retired. Stay strong!!! Val

patticakes
April 7th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Being in the middle of pretty much the same thing I can truly identify. It's scary for sure, but take a deep breath and give yourself a chance to get over the initial shock. I am sure you and your husband will be able to have a serious chat about yOur next steps. My thoughts are with you!

MaryB
April 7th, 2011, 08:16 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you both too, shell. A truly horrible shock.
Hugs, Mary B.

middlesis1966
April 7th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Oh Michele Im so sorry to hear this. I know how it is. Health insurance is sometimes worth more the a pay raise.
You and your family are in my prayers

debinmalaga
April 7th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Michele, I'm so very sorry. Brighter days are ahead. We're here for you.

tamsterg7
April 7th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I will just say ditto to all the sentiments above me - and they are absolutely right - things happen for a reason and turn out for the better. As said before, take a deep, deep breath, clear your mind and make a list of what you have to do right now. Cross them off the list so that you can see your progress. You and your DH are a team and together you will get past this and on to better things.

shell.scraps
April 8th, 2011, 01:53 AM
thank you all. tonight my girls took me out for a margarita while Pete filled out online applications/resumes for some local companies.

We will see what happens...

mrswindy4
April 8th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Hang in there Michelle...put all your worries and cares into God's hands.

rebeccas-sewing
April 8th, 2011, 04:55 AM
I'm so sorry this has happened to you, Michele. All of us are thinking about you and wishing you the best. As the other gals have mentioned, "When one door closes, another one opens." Keep us abreast of your situation.

RFREE
April 8th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I am so sorry this has happened to you Michele. I am a firm believer in "Everything happens for a reason." As Rebecca said When one door closes another door opens. We are all here for you.It will all turn out for the better. Keep your chin up. Thinking of you. Hugs Rhonda

suzieq57
April 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Re:Devasted, I am sorry. I know it may not help right now when we tell you it has happened to us all (my husband every winter it seems) but I truly believe that it will make us all stronger. Here in Canada the economy is picking up and my husband got back to work a couple of weeks ago. We try to prepare now with a little fund. This time it was a good thing because he ended up with a better job. Well maybe now you may be able to move to where you both want to live instead of where his job sent him. I wish you all the best and if there is anything I can go I will. Here is a hug for now. xoxox

mamaquilt
April 8th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your husband's loss of job. But as said before, chin up and through. There are always better days ahead. Maybe being a quilter, you could even open your own shop, depending the area you live in and turn your hobby into your job. Wouldn't that be great.
Keep my fingers crossed and prayers from Luxembourg

Shirley
April 10th, 2011, 10:54 AM
So sorry about your husbands job loss. I am thinking of you.