PDA

View Full Version : spelling and grammar

Poppytree
November 8th, 2013, 06:34 AM
My spelling is a bit suspect at times but according to this quiz I'm a Grammar Guru - scored 100%

Grammatically Speaking (http://m.staples.ca/sbdca/en_CA/cre/programs/grammarquiz/#.UnyUlkwvWJ7.facebook)

Monique
November 8th, 2013, 07:42 AM
I am a guru too.

MayinJerset
November 8th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Me too, although I didn't always know the grammar rules.

Sandy Navas
November 8th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Hmmmm, I missed the e.g. and i.e. . . . That's all.

That was sure fun!

Jean Sewing Machine
November 8th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Hmm, I taught grammar for 7 years, but I only got 97%, But the explanation of my wrong answer is completely opposite of what I did, so what the......? I'm going to the DEAN!

lourixe
November 8th, 2013, 11:56 AM
MSQC forum is better than English classes! I am a guru, and in a foreign language, too! :icon_cool: But I also failed in the i.e./e.g. question, as Jean did. Then I searched:

WIKIPEDIA: id est (i.e.) "That is (to say)" in the sense of "that means" and "which means", or "in other words", or sometimes "in this case", depending on the context; may be followed by a comma, or not, depending on style (American English and British English respectively). It is often misinterpreted as "in example". In this situation, e.g. should be used instead. There should be a period (.) after both letters, since it is an abbreviation of two words.

TRICKS FOR FUTURE REFERENCE (found at Grammar Girl : I.e. Versus E.g. :: Quick and Dirty Tips ? (http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/ie-versus-eg)): Forget about i.e. standing for "that is" or whatever it really means in Latin. From now on, i.e., which starts with i, means “in other words,” and e.g., which starts with e, means “for example.” I = in other words. E= example. A few listeners have also written in to say that they remember the difference between i.e. and e.g. by imagining that i.e. means “in essence,” and e.g. sounds like “egg sample,” and those are good memory tricks too.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 8th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I love Grammar Girls--we used it all the time in our ESL grammar classes for reference.

Funny thing, the issues that this grammar quiz presented are the same issues we always had with our students, so they are very misunderstood English grammar rules, especially They're, there and their.

I missed the Should of/have, could of/have, and would of/have. They explained that these words are always used with have, not of, and that's what I did, but they marked it wrong! That's why I'm going to the DEAN to complain about my grade!

Grandma G
November 8th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Hmmmm, I missed the e.g. and i.e. . . . That's all.

That was sure fun!

I missed the same one. Truthfully have not seen the e.g. very often. Still - we are gurus!!

pcbatiks
November 8th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I'm a guru......

MRoy
November 8th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I'm a guru who correctly guessed "e.g." and "i.e." I learned the difference with this quiz.

PeggyM
November 8th, 2013, 10:43 PM
I always thought e.g. was the same as i.e. So, now I know the rest of the story. Sadly, grammmar is no longer taught in school around here. They focus on just getting your thoughts on paper. Cursive is out, too. Smh, wtf, lol - shorthand grammar. I mourn the loss of the English language. [Sorry for my rant.]

Wwena
November 9th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Yay I'm a guru! Tbh it was a pretty simple test, with the two sentances to compare if you were unsure. ;)