PDA

View Full Version : Four Weddings and a Night Owl

cyndiofthevortex
November 8th, 2013, 01:31 AM
I was married June 28th, 1980. I was 21 years old. It was a crazy, exhausting day. I felt like I was being pulled in all directions by family and friends. None of the pictures came out well, I was too hot in my long-sleeved dress and Jonas forgot to get the marriage license. What relief we felt as we drove away from everyone en route to Quebec City! We looked at each other and laughed. Best day of our lives? It didn't start until we were a half mile from home. Then we finally felt we were safely away from everyone who thought they knew more than we did about how to get married.

We've gone to lots of weddings over the years. At one wedding the couple served pies instead of cake. I think I had 6 pieces of pie that day. Each was delicious. I missed DD Faith's wedding. They eloped and got married in pajama bottoms in front of a Justice of the Peace, the same month DD Bethany got married with a wedding gown fit for a princess and full tuxes on one of the hottest days of the summer. Eight year old DS David kept taking off one piece of his tux at a time, as if he was playing Strip Poker. We stopped him at shirt and pants, though we did let him go barefoot.

So the topic of tonight's Night Owl post is weddings! Tell us about yours or someone else's, something touching and meaningful or funny and weird. Or anything in between!

pcbatiks
November 8th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Hi Cyndi,

My hubby & I got married 29 years ago. When I woke up that morning I was happy & relaxed and ate pancakes from McD's........when I was in a friends wedding a few years before that I was so nervous I ate dry toast & a coke for breakfast. My best friend spent the night at my parents house the night before the wedding. She thought she could sneak into my suitcase & do who knows what! But I knew I could stay awake longer than her...........when she fell asleep I locked my things in the car & hid the keys! :D Everything went well that day except that I left my outfit at home that I was leaving in........thankfully someone got it for me. Gordon & his brother drove past the church "by accident" :D on his way there.........his brother said, "Isn't that the church?".

My mom made my dress & the flowers & my aunt made our cake. Our wedding colors were burgundy & gray.........we had a small simple but pretty wedding........just the way we wanted it. As we were leaving the church one of my cousins poured an entire bag of rice down the back of my shirt. When we stopped to eat later....we could here rice hitting the floor as it fell out of my clothes!

It was a beautiful & hot day..........and I am still very happy to be with my husband!

bubba
November 8th, 2013, 02:34 AM
Shortly before my husbands best friend got married, someone told us when you are in church and bored, grab the hymnal and add either between the sheets or in the bathtub to the end of the name of the song. Wouldn't you know he'd open his to 'Oh, Come Let Us Eat'........I still feel the jabby fingers of the two old ladies that were sitting behind us as we giggled!

Mchelem
November 8th, 2013, 02:37 AM
My husband and I got married by a Justice of the Peace on June 22, 1998.
This year we celebrated our 15 yr anniversary and did a vow renewal. I got to get married in the place I always dreamed of, the Fort Worth water gardens. It was surprisingly cool for a June day, although I planned it for 7 o'clock in hopes it would be cooler at that time of the evening. We wrote our own vows, the pastor who officiated was a family friend, and all the right friends and family were there. Even though it was just a vow renewal, I started crying when I took my first steps down the aisle. (I never had a wedding before, even with my first marriage). I made my flowers myself, and served fruit and cheeses and veggies on a buffet table, and made my center pieces. It was very low key and low cost, but for me it was perfect.

Picture of our day- you can see the water cascading down the walls in the background. (The people you see in the water are the general public. Our venue was not closed off, so the people that were there when we started, became guests, even though we didn't know them.)

One of my favorite pictures- the wind actually caught my rose petals and blew them up onto the roof of the building)

My daughter wanted me to get IN the water. It was actually cold, but I did.... This is the results lol.

Mpyles
November 8th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Oh goodness, funny! Well I was married in January 1994. I didnt have the big wedding....DH and I eloped to Miami, Oklahoma....on a Monday...it was our only day off! After taking our blood test...as Oklahoma requires, we were married at Lorraine's wedding chapel by a man with a booger hangin from his nose! My DH had a horrible headache that day too...he often claims that should have been his fair warning. Lol. We later had a very small family reception at my parents home...but only to appease my mother. They were eternally grateful the $$ saved! They had helped me out a couple of years prior and I could not justify the wedding cost. My brother however had the whole shebang...his bride would have it no other way...my other brother wrote on the bottom of his shoes..."HELP ME" in white out so when they kneeled at the alter the whole congregation roared with laughter. Everyone, found it quite humorous but the bride and brides mother! Lol....that should have been his fair warning....lol!! They were only married for a few years...

stationarymom
November 8th, 2013, 03:09 AM
my husband and i got married 29 yrs ago 8/14/84 it was a great wedding. we had 200 guests.i think the best part of the day was at our ceremony my father had to go over and give my brother 12 at the time a hankie to wipe his nose with instead of his tux sleeve.we did the exchange of roses i gave one to my mother in law and my husband to my mother. after the wedding i asked my 12 yr old brother why he was crying and he told me "the ceremony was very touching" i learned my brother wore his heart on his sleeve that day.he died three yrs ago i miss him so much.
joan

Madeforyouinma11
November 8th, 2013, 03:13 AM
I got married in October, 1979... The first time. That wedding was a typical large wedding. My godmother made my gown along with the bridesmaids, my mom's dress, my mother-in-laws dress and my cake. She was a Wonder Woman and I miss her dearly. Anyway, the day was beautiful and we had a great time....until we left the reception. We were about 10 miles from home when the car started to drive funny. Hubby pulled over to the side of the road and as he did that, the front wheel broke off! Crazy right?! We sat there for awhile until help came and then we had the Boston police driving us around from hotel to hotel trying to find us a room, lol. It became rather funny when one hotel offered us a conference room for the night but we had to be out at 6 am because there was going to be a meeting...then the police (jokingly) offered us a cell to stay in..haha. 6 hours later we got a room, 12 miles from home! That marriage lasted for 25 years before we split.
I have been married to my new hubby for 4 years now. He had never been married before. We had it at a friends house. We had tents, tables, huge buffet of chicken, steaks and clam boils. We had an open bar, swimming pool and a DJ. We did everything ourselves from invitations to centerpieces to cooking the food..we had someone on the grill cooking to order. We wrote our own vows and a friend of ours got his JP license so he could perform the ceremony for us. It was a wonderful day and we had a blast!

Carol336
November 8th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Well this has been so much fun to read how everyone got married. Here goes.

I married my High School Sweetheart on November 20, 1967, 46 years ago this month. We had dated for 4 years and were engaged for 2. My parents couldn't afford a big wedding, and his parents said "We'll give you a big wedding, or we'll buy all your furniture." We were poor, but we weren't stupid - yep took the furniture and have never regretted it.

We did have a lovely ceremony with our parents and and grandparents, and my sis and his best friend standing for us. Afterwards we went back to his parents home for a small buffet and champagne. The funny thing was, as you can imagine, after being together for so long, and thn getting married suddenly one night with no one there - well there was a lot of finger counting. Not the case, DS # 1 didn't come along for 2 years.

When we were married 25 years, we renewed our vowels at the same church, with the same attendants, but lots more people and had a reception in the church hall.....it was really nice.

Now remind me to tell you sometime about how he lost my high school ring and "found" it 30 years later - he's really a keeper.

HdWench
November 8th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Love those gardens at Ft. Worth and how happy and fun you look being in the fountain!!

Been married well a few times. My good memory is of my little baby brother's wedding. I was 14 years old when he was born (oops and suppose to be my sister), but I adored him from the minute I saw him, and with 3 teenagers my mom was busy enough. I would come home from school anxious to play and care for him like he was my 1st baby.

He and his wife planned a Las Vegas wedding (center of the country so more could fly in and come), they did it up royally. My husband and I drove in after the Arizona Renaissance Festival where I had my had done "Bo Derek" style and he had some Mel Gibson braids in his hair. My mom was pretty horrified when we showed up LOL but my brother and his wife loved it.
I can barely type this as my heart whelms with joy, I was blessed to give a speech about how much he was my 1st child with all the love to give him to his wife. It was pretty hard to hold it together, but well said and taken. hmm Somewhere I've a photo of hubby and I with his suit on and braids in our hair. Us "young" folks took a limo out to party that night, and of course we got them VERY hungover. What a lovely memory, and thank you guys for sharing yours :-)

GuitarGramma
November 8th, 2013, 05:31 AM
I've been married to the love of my life for over thirty years. Our wedding day was very nice, with one exception: my mother ended up in the emergency room the morning of the wedding. She had started to get a stiff neck at the rehearsal dinner, and by the morning it was so bad my step-father had to take her to the ER. In the wedding photos she has incredible posture, but to those of us who know, well, we know why.

Now, despite this trip to the ER and a wedding scheduled for 11am, my mom insisted we not cancel the wedding breakfast for my bridesmaids. So there she was, fussing over mushrooms and breakfast steaks and sterling silver forks and the clock is ticking. I knew there was only one way to get to the church on time -- I purposely bust into tears. That made my mom let me get up from the table!

To this day I don't know why my mom got so tense. I had dated so many losers and now I was engaged to a really terrific guy (as three decades of happy marriage have proven). Oh well, I guess I'll never know, but it was a lovely day in the end.

MayinJerset
November 8th, 2013, 10:25 AM
My parents weren't happy I was getting married in Jan. 1955 but we did anyway but without much fanfare. For them it was more about the loss of income and less about their fear I was making a bad choice. 58 years later and we are still going strong but I always knew they were wrong. Think I'll silently reminded them on Dec. 1 when DH and I along with my brother and sisters visit our parents grave site and lay down an evergreen blanket.

Have seen so many changes in wedding receptions since mine in 1955. There was a time in the 70's when ceremonies on the beach or simple backyard affairs were big. Having most of my relatives living in Brooklyn, NY and also being Italian weddings are now major productions. Big showers at an upscale restaurant, huge receptions beginning with a cocktail hour, 7 course meal, huge dessert tables besides the wedding cake, a loud DJ blasting away so you can't hear anything anyone says ending with a breakfast served by a chef the morning after the wedding. All captured by a photographer and a video camera. Latest but not the greatest are the destination weddings where guests fly to a resort in the Caribbean or across the country to attend. One of my granddaughters who lived in CA got married in Las Vegas and, of course, we went but I don't think we would fly across the country for a niece or nephew's wedding .

Recently a forum member asked about how much to give for a wedding gift and most agreed on $50. Forgetaboutit in NYC, you would spend more than that on a shower gift.

Sandy Navas
November 8th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Not being a night owl, I do slip in here now and then because it is a great way to keep in touch and learn more about forum friends.

Al and I met on August 17, 1967 yet didn't start dating until the end of September (he did hint but I wasn't interested). The first time we went out together we sat under a tree and read and recited poetry (believe it or not). Walking me back to the barracks he said "Oh, by the way, we're getting married." To which I responded, "Like H . . . we are!"

November 17, 1967 - we were married by the Army chaplain at the William Beaumont General Hospital chapel in El Paso, Texas. Yes, in drab Army green dress uniforms. There were 8 people at the wedding - four of whom were uninvited guests. Three hours after the wedding I reported to work in the Emergency Room so our first night of marriage was spent . . . well, apart. We are coming up on 46 years together in just a few days. Where has all the time gone? ((I could tell you so many totally unbelievable stories about the best man . . . even fiction books could never match the likes of him.))

The next day we traveled to Juarez, Mexico with Al's Dad and his best friend who drove in from California to witness our vows. Spent a fun day of giving the tourists a quick view of life south of the border. What a honeymoon!!!!

Guess a I have a couple days longer than Carol . . .

Meli
November 8th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Jim and I got engaged 5/2/04. I had told him early on I would marry him any month of the year, except May. (Between 4/1 and 6/13 we have Mother's Day, Father's Day, 3 wedding anniversaries and 18 birthdays!!!) So we started planning. June was out because he would be gone for two weeks with the Army. July had too many birthdays on his family. His birthday is in August and he didn't want to have it in the same month. September was when he got married the last time. October was when I got married the last time. And then we were into the holidays of November and December. I suppose we could have considered a January wedding, but, wanting to honor our shared faith, we wanted to get married before the wedding night. And there was NO WAY we were going to make it to January. In fact, I'm not sure we'd have made it to July. So, we backed up and started looking at May. We chose the 28th. It was the 5th (my birthday) when we made that decision, which gave us 23 days to plan a wedding. It was going to be a simple affair, with just a couple of attendants, a handfull of guests, and no frills. I was just going to wear a simple sundress of some kind. And that's where it started.

I couldn't find a sundress, but I did find a great dress rental place that put me in this wedding dress that made me feel like a fairy princess. So I told Jim he'd have to step it up a bit. (He wore a white ribbon collar shirt, gray vest and black jeans. Oh, that man looked good!) We were going to get married in my parents' garden, and mom called her neighbor, an event caterer, to borrow chairs. Every couple of days he called back and said, "I'll bring the tables for the food. And the table cloths." "Tell her not to bother with plates, I've got some china that's ivory with gold trim." "Don't worry about flatware, I've got it covered." And so on.

Remember that handful of attendants? Yeah. We had 8. His three sons (his oldest gave me away). My best friend's son was our "ring bear", and her daughter was my maid of honor (she was 6 and the bouquet was nearly as big as she was!) Two weeks before the wedding, Jim's niece called and said, "Uncle Jim, can I be your flower girl?" A few minutes later, his 3 year old nephew called and asked, "Uncle Jim, can I be your flower boy?" How do you say no? They had an older brother, so we included him as well.

My parents' garden, the day before the wedding, was stunning. All the roses along the fence were in full bloom. It was breathtaking. Our wedding was set for 6:00pm, and all day was lovely. But the doppler said it wasn't going to last, so we made the decision to relocate to the very industrial 1970s era pavilion at the nearby park. The neighbor set up 100 chairs, I'm sure, then ran back to his storage unit to pick up fluted columns and giant ferns so he could make it look as pretty as possible. Did I mention he volunteered his services and his items? Right at 6:00pm, there was a loud clap of thunder, the heavens opened, and rains of biblical proportions poured down.

After the ceremony, we all went back to my parents' lovely cottage home. The living room, which seats 7 comfortably, was stuffed with at least 50 people. When it came time to cut the cake, I glanced up to see my parents through the window, under an umbrella, grinning like loons. They had the best seat in the house, as it were!

Nothing went according to plan. And I wouldn't change a thing about it!