• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carol336
    Missouri Star
    • May 2013

Shingles....not just for the roof

Well even though I got the shingles shot about 18 months ago it didn't stop me from getting the shingles.

I knew when I started with the symptoms over the weekend exactly what was happening. It started with an itchiness on the left top side of my head and quickly became very sore to the touch. And then it felt like little worms were crawling around up there. And 2 days ago the pain started....I'm here to tell you the pain is excruciating....and that's putting it mildly.

MY DMIL had the same thing several years ago and I could hear her describing the exact things I was experiencing.
    The only thing different is that I have no blistering. But the pain was so severe today I called my dr and she saw me right away. It is indeed shingles, but since I had the shot it will probably be a milder case, maybe with no blistering.

So tonight I'm drugged with Prednisone and a pretty strong pain killer. Praise God the pain has subsided quite a bit. My dr thinks it should only last a few days - I'm praying she's right.

I'm having a tea here on Saturday for 20 women friends.....food is prepared, tables are set, house is cleaned......it's been canceled once already and I'm determined no to cancel again.......I'm not contagious unless I get the blisters so I sure would appreciate it if you all could send a few prayers up for me.....

Thanks everyone
    Carol
  • Kgrammiecaz
    Missouri Star
    • May 2013

Re: Shingles....not just for the roof

I had shingles at the age of 56. An extremely bad case. The pain was more than I could handle. I got shingles after pneumonia only it took them more than 4 days to diagnosis the shingles. I ended up in the hospital and my blisters broke and I got mrsa and ended up having a fistful of body removed -scary. I now have leftovers of it and continue to take pain meds and pain shots in my back. 3 and a half years so far. So not fun but I am dealing with it

So whe I say I have added prayers and send you blessing I truly mean I am throwing them your way

The only thing I would caution is if anyone coming to your party has not had chicken pox or the shingles shot I would not chance someone getting infected. I was in a controlled room the entire time in the hospital

I would not wish this horrible thing on an enemy

Bad memories. I can remember that pain like it was yesterday.

Sorry for the rant. I wish you a speedy recovery
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• Kelly F
      The Guild President
      • Jul 2013

Oh no. Feel better.
      :icon_wave:

Have a wonderful day!

Friend me on Facebook under Kelly Howell Faulconer

Comment

• Carol336
        Missouri Star
        • May 2013

Thanks so much for the prayers. I totally understand the rant - the pain is like nothing I've ever experienced and I've had mucho surgeries through the years (have had a pacemaker since 1968 - so many many changes of battery and updating) 2 c sections, gall bladder removal, colon resection - never never had anything hurt like this. And it wears you down.

I'm happy to say the meds are helping....I have 2 hours till my next dose and I'm counting the seconds.

I have alerted everyone coming to the tea - and I did tell them if they had chicken pox they might be at risk. But my dr said I would only be contagious if th had oozing blisters.....still I'm leaving it up to the individuals as to how they feel about coming.

Thanks again for the prayers......sending some up for you too!!!!
        Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
        I had shingles at the age of 56. An extremely bad case. The pain was more than I could handle. I got shingles after pneumonia only it took them more than 4 days to diagnosis the shingles. I ended up in the hospital and my blisters broke and I got mrsa and ended up having a fistful of body removed -scary. I now have leftovers of it and continue to take pain meds and pain shots in my back. 3 and a half years so far. So not fun but I am dealing with it

So whe I say I have added prayers and send you blessing I truly mean I am throwing them your way

The only thing I would caution is if anyone coming to your party has not had chicken pox or the shingles shot I would not chance someone getting infected. I was in a controlled room the entire time in the hospital

I would not wish this horrible thing on an enemy

Bad memories. I can remember that pain like it was yesterday.

Sorry for the rant. I wish you a speedy recovery

Comment

• Mpyles
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2013

Oh goodness, I can so sympathize! I had them in my twenties...around my waste and back then my job required that I wear a skirt and panty hose. I had them prolly 7 or 8 years ago on my ear and side of face. I still have phantom pain to this day at times. Crazy things. I hope you heal quickly, rest and relaxation is helpful....and leaving them alone to heal. Prayers being sent.
          Mary
          SW Missouri

Comment

• ilive2craft2
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2012

That is not fun. DH had them many years ago when we were first married. Dad and an Aunt have both had them. Praying that the vaccine is going to keep them from being a severe case and they heal quickly!
            Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

• PeggyM
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2013

I am sooo sorry for your pain. I had them once, but was told you can't get them again. Real life people have told me that's untrue. I didn't know they were contagious. I had them around my waist, and I remember unbuttoning my skirt and pulling the waistband down. I hope you recover quickly!!
              My friends call me Peggy
              The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

• easyquilts
                Missouri Star
                • Dec 2012

Oh no.... My mom had them n her eyed, so I know how bad the pain can be.... My Dr. Insisted I have the shot several years ago.... I hope it works! Prayers for a fast recovery.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

• Sandy Navas
                  Missouri Star
                  • Dec 2010

Pretty nasty thing! Saying prayers for relief from the pain!
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• bec
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jul 2011

Oh no, Carol! I'm so sorry to hear that. Hope you recover quickly and never have them again!
                    Bec

Comment

• Genny
                      Missouri Star
                      • Oct 2011

Oh Carol I feel so bad for you. I had Shingles 3 years ago and I actually thought I was dying. I started breaking out on a Saturday afternoon and by Monday morning I was in so much pain when I got out of the shower that I couldn't breathe. I broke out in my left rib area and straight thru to the left back. My husband took me to the doctor and they gave me some kind of a shot and he told me that mine was so severe that I could be in pain for up to 2 years. I was off work 2 weeks and slept most of the first week of taking the Prednisone. Luckly my pain started to subside within a few weeks and within 2 months I was fine.
                      Hope you get to feeling better soon, Shingles really suck...
                      TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

• Mchelem
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2013

I was under the impression that shingles aren't contagious as in you can't catch them from another person, unless that person has never had chickenpox, and then they wouldn't get shingles, they would get chickenpox.

Any one who has had the chickenpox carries the shingles virus, and they can flare up at any time, but are more prone to show up in stressful situations of people with weakened immune systems.

I'm surprised they didn't give you an antiviral in addition to your steroid.
                        "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

• Andrea F
                          Missouri Star
                          • Apr 2013

Oh no! I hope it gets better soon!

Comment

• Carol336
                            Missouri Star
                            • May 2013

Originally posted by Mchelem View Post

I'm surprised they didn't give you an antiviral in addition to your steroid.
                            Since I've had the shot and there are no blisters at this time, just the itching and pain, she wants to try the Prednisone. If that's not markedly improved my Monday then we go to the antiviral.

Comment

• HdWench
                              Missouri Star
                              • Oct 2012

Carol, I'm so sorry that even after trying to prevent them by getting the shot they appeared! Praying that this is a VERY short and mild case and so glad you've pain meds to help relieve some of the horrible pain.
                              Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

Working...
                              X