PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Scare

SuzyQue
November 7th, 2013, 01:04 AM
I know this is about a week late, but I haven't been on since it happened, so bear with me on this one. Last week, on Halloween, my hubby had his appendix burst! He had been having back pain for a couple of days and thought it was related to farm labor. When he was awakened at 5 a.m., with abdominal pains we knew it was more. After a long couple of days in the hospital and surgery, he is now home and has finished all of his antibiotics. Almost one week of rest and no lifting is just about complete, but I need to keep him quiet for another week! I am so thankful that it was something that was relatively simple and the surgeon was awesome. I am thankful for antibiotics. I am thankful that we were home and not on the airplane coming home from VA. We should have been in VA for our oldest son's dissertation debate....and I am thankful that it is now complete! I am most thankful that it rained and poured this week, so it is too wet and muddy to farm for several more days....that will make it easier to keep him in and quiet! This will be a Halloween that we will not forget for quite awhile!

K. McEuen
November 7th, 2013, 01:06 AM
Glad everything turned out okay!

Kelly F
November 7th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Oh my. I almost had mine burst. It was removed just in time. I hope he continues to recover easily.

Where in VA does you son go to school?

kensington
November 7th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Glad all is well.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 7th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Thank heaven he's going to be ok!

easyquilts
November 7th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Oh my goodness! I 'm glad your DH is on the mend.....and impressed that despite everything, you have found so much to be thankful for. I'll remember that..

MayinJerset
November 7th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Phew, that was a close one, hope DH can keep still long enough to recover fully.

dwil23
November 7th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Glad he is doing well. Appendicitis pain (and nausea) is the worst!

I had emergent surgery a few years back. Nothing like waking up from anesthesia with a young surgeon standing over you asking "Mrs, Williams, how you get appendicitis? - that's for young people"!

HandsOffItsMine
November 7th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Prayers and healing light that his recovery goes quickly and that you too get some rest. Hard to keep a "working" man rested though, I have to tie Don down in those cases. lol

SuzyQue
November 7th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes! This was a mild surgery compared to some more heartbreaking things on this forum, but surgery none the same. It was complicated by the burst and this man being hard to contain. He is such a hard worker that being still is difficult for him. I am searching for sitting down, sorting type of jobs at the moment. We have finished a lot of paperwork! I am thankful that he is such a great provider, but at times he needs to learn to rest and heal!
Kelly---my oldest son just finished his PhD at William and Mary, but has since moved to CT for a job.
Donna---we had some people question the age and appendicitis, too. How funny! It is an organ that can go bad at anytime! Thankfully it was not a surgeon nor a doctor that was bewildered by it.
I have a question for anyone that might know ----my hubby has been having severe pain in his shoulder since surgery and we have been told it was the gas from the surgery that has settled there. We have done the heat pad, 20 minutes per hour, per Dr. advice and he is doing shoulder exercises from years past to keep it moving. Is there anything else we could do to eliminate the pain? and how long can we expect this to continue?

Lisapc
November 7th, 2013, 11:19 AM
3 weeks if he is over 45. That is just my own experience with past patients. It should gradually ease up. I am so sorry this happened and grateful it wasn't far more serious. Congratulations to your son, I can tell how proud you are and you should be!

MRoy
November 7th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I'm glad your DH is on the mend. Sorry but I don't have any suggestions for the shoulder pain other than I always heard to walk a lot after surgery to disperse the gas. Your DH sounds a lot like mine and I know how hard it can be to keep a hardworking farmer still and quiet so they can heal.

bopeep
November 7th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Oh My....sounds like a Halloween to remember.......and one that you can have something to be Thankful for......it also caught my eye about how you said so many things you were Thankful for.....may we all follow your example and gave Thanks for all those things.....
{{{HUGS }}} & {{{{PRAYERS}}}}
bopeep

Genny
November 7th, 2013, 01:45 PM
So glad to hear that your husband is doing well. Genny

HdWench
November 7th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Suzy!! What an experience and how blessed to be at home, close to great doctors and getting paperwork done. I bet this won't be a Halloween to forget, so sorry it ruptured like that! thank you for letting us know where you've been, prayers to you and your DH he let's himself HEAL before working hard again

Debbie

lilmouse
November 8th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Thank goodness he is all right....and surgery is surgery and fear is fear....may he continue to heal and get well!

MartinaG
November 8th, 2013, 06:13 PM
A burst appendix is nothing to laugh at. Glad he is recovering. What a scare.