PDA

View Full Version : Good morning everyone in quiltland

mamaquilt
April 6th, 2011, 04:38 AM
As I told you a couple of days ago, I would give my sewing room a good clean thru.I managed to put some order in my embrodery coton. I 'm very pleased how those boxes look now.

Then I had this tinbox from my mother (she died in 1991)and I never opened it. I thought there were only scissors in it. And guess what I found?

Some old patterns from the US. Simplicity transfer patterns from 1946, 1947 for quilting, appliqué and some embroidery stuff as well as some very nice fabrics, dating most probably from that time too.

Being a secretary to the mayor of a biger town during the second world war, my mother looked after some graves of American soldiers, who died here in Luxembourg. Some of the mothers of these soldiers thanked her by sending simplicity transfer patterns, unknown then here in Luxembourg.

I'm looking forward to make something out of that fabric once I'm able to cut again .

Off to the therapist

MMMmmmmmmm43244325

rebeccas-sewing
April 6th, 2011, 05:22 AM
I'm sure it was a lot of fun making that discovery. I, too, have some of my mom's really old patterns, a few quilt items she started and never finished, and some old fabrics. It's fun to see how much the patterns have changed over the years. Sounds like your mother had an interesting life working as the mayor's secretary. I imagine she had lots of stories she shared about those days. Just recently my mother-in-law sent something to my e-mail that had tons of photos of all the different countries where thousands of American soldiers are buried. I never thought about so many Americans being buried far from home. It was quite sobering looking at the pictures. On a happier note, enjoy your walk down memory lane. Finding all those sewing supplies that your mother left behind will certainly stir up memories.

suzette58
April 6th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I have some of my mom's old notions. It's funny the memories these items can stir up. I'll be searching for something and run across something that was hers and just stop and remember.

ginampls
April 6th, 2011, 08:44 AM
those patterns are very pretty. what a great find!! plus... they look so nice... could be a cool work for us all to see in the future. ...plus your flosses look nice and organized... good job... now for me to work on my area... but... not to day... oh well.

Blondie
April 6th, 2011, 08:57 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/misc/7831.jpg

Good Morning, Ladies!

I hit the floor running this morning. Takes a while for me to get kicking, but, I have already got dinner in the crockpot, played with the pup and had half a pot of yummy coffee.

That tin was a special surprise. What wonderful goodies in there!!!!!!
I love looking through old items as well. I found a jar of buttons recently that were in a box from my late aunt's home. I've had that box for 5 years, thinking it was just a bunch of books. Surprise! I need to finish cleaning my basement. You never know what I will find! Congrats on your treats, Michele!

Ladies, hope your day is filled with pleasant surprises, lovely thoughts and loads of energy and great health.

Off to get ready for the rest of my day.

RFREE
April 6th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Good morning to all of you today. No work for me today.I am cancelling my cleaning plans to go to Vienna Ill to bike ride.Has anybody rode the Rails to Trails in Vienna ILL? I go just every now and then. It is a train track turned into a bicycle trail.You can ride for miles and miles. We usually just ride to the train tunnel which is 10 miles from the starting point and back to the truck. I just love it. I am a nature freak and love the beauty mother nature gives us especially in the spring.There is so much to look at on the trail.Caves, trestles,the tunnel,rock formations and of course the wildlife;love the wildlife. We will make it a day long trip so I plan on taking lots of pictures and will post them if any one would like to take a peek. You can google Rails to Trails in Vienna Ill and check it out. Pretty cool. Well I am off to get loaded up to go. Yall have a wonderful day.I know I will. Once I get my Ibuprofen in me ha ha. This bike riding thing really helps my back.Thats another reason I like to go.
Hugs Rhonda

Sandy Navas
April 6th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Good Morning, one and all!! I'm sitting here dreaming down memory lane with everyone. Ready to start the day here shortly as a dear friend is arriving soon and we'll wing the day. Who knows what will happen. I wish I had all Rhonda's energy and a bicycle - but doubt these old knees would be able to make it for long.

Spent a wonderful day with my Sister yesterday - traveled to Lee's Summit to pick up additional fabric for our quilt guild's BOM project. The fabric requirements were upgraded and we fell short. We always have so many laughs together. Also hit another shop on the way home - where she bought fabric before for a one-block-wonder quilt (which she's already finished - I call her Speedy) . . . and she found fabric to do another one. We were 'browsing' and looking for something and actually bumped heads when we both reached for the same bolt of fabric at once. And it will be perfect. The OBW quilt is something I wish I had confidence enough to try. Maybe some day as my techniques improve.

Anyway, that's all folks. Hope everyone has a wonderful one!!

twnkeyes
April 6th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Mamquilt, I have a little twist on your discovery of your mom's patterns. My dad passed away in 2008, I miss him so much. He was a textile salesman for over 30 years and I have his fabric samples from the last years of his career. I remember as a kid the samples being spread out all over the floor as he organized them. I always loved to look at all the pretty fabrics. Dad traveled Monday - Friday and on the weekends he was ours, we kids I mean. He worked on 100% commission and we had a very nice lifestyle, he worked very hard. Anyway, I have taken those samples and have made Christmas stockings and lap quilts so far. The fabrics are 30+ years old but were in cedar chests so are still in good shape. I'm thrilled for you and I to have such prized mementos!

janluna
April 6th, 2011, 11:14 AM
How nice to find all of you with your memories and finds this morning. Blondie hang on to those buttons. They are worth their weight in gold. I got some from my grandmother. They were quite valuable. Some were made of bone, and Mother Of Pearl. Unfortunately I lost them in our house fire in 1975. I have since started my own button collection that maybe my grand-babies will enjoy. The girls are already starting to sew. I bought Emily a sewing machine last year, and she has been making doll quilts on it. She is getting to be quite good at it. Now Laura is interested in the machine but Mom said I have to wait until she is the same age as Emily was when I get her a machine. Also their Aunt Heidi quilts far better than I do, so they have a good teacher there. I help them too though. I am their knitting instructor, and crochet go to person. lol It takes a village. Anyway ladies enjoy your time and memories. Love you all, Jan

janluna
April 6th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Blondie, did you see my message last night on chit chat about Calif. Read it and tell me what you think. LOL Hugs, Jan

patticakes
April 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Morning! Been up since 4:30 am and already have lots done, which is a good feeling.

Mamaquilt - Your mother's tin contained such lovely things! I was imagining her smiling down that we were all appreciating what she must have considered her treasures. Your floss is quite beautiful all organized like that. I used to have alot of floss but I think I gave it away in one of my many moves.
Rhonda - I used to bike and walk the Rails to Trails in western Massachusetts when I lived there. The railway certainly went through some beautiful areas. I commend you for doing such a bike ride and my bottom aches just to think of it. LOL
Sandy - Sounds like you and sis enjoy your time together. I am envious of someone to share a quilt shop with. Your sister sure can whip up a quilt in record time! Love your saying today - btw! LOL!!
Blondie - Love your ambition this morning! I have my Grandma's big old beat up button tin. Some of the buttons were handed down from my Great Grandma who was a tailor. I remember my Grandma telling me that they always cut the buttons off of clothing that wasn't good for anything but the rag bag because they saved everything for reuse back then due to the "wars". I treasure that tin and what it has seen! I think that many people have, and will continue to, come back to the old ways of using and recycling what they have instead of just buying more.
Jan - How wonderful that your grands want to sew! I think it is still something every girl (and boy) should know how to do and even if they don't continue to sew, it will be a part of their skills for life.
I am so excited to have my DD coming for a visit tomorrow!
Hope you all have a fantastic day and remember to stay off the beaten path!
Patti

suzieq57
April 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Good morning everyone in quiltland, I have put most of my Mom's and grandmothers needlework away in my sewing room until I can go through it with a glad heart. Right now it brings mixed emotions. When I am piecing I often feel close to my grandmother. My Mom is still alive but doesn't always know me and can't remember who to craft anymore which is so said because she was so talented. One day I will have that happy moment going through all the things I was able to save.

Loonwatcher
April 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM
What nice treasures you all have found. A couple months ago I inherited (sp?) my Mom's sewing cabinet - one of those 3 drawers on legs with a half round bin on each end things. Full of wonderful notions - scissors and a whole bunch of thimbles; some in their own case like carved from peach pits etc. Fun to go through. Mamaquilt - I love those baby quilt patterns...so cute! Enjoy!

toggpine
April 6th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hi Everybody!
I haven't inherited my grandmother's sewing things yet. My aunt got the things from my mom's mom, and my father's mother is still using hers!
I have inherited my husband's grandmother's sewing things. We found a marvelous folding sewing station tucked in one of the closets after his grandfather passed away. The tops of each side flip open to access shallow trays, then you can pull each side up and out to reveal two trays on either side and a large one on the bottom. It stand on legs about 8 inches off of the ground. It is made of solid wood. I found all kinds of things in there. She was a Daughter of the Nile member with Grandpa being a Shriner. So there were all sorts of sequins and beads from the gowns she made for their formal occasions. I have enough hooks and eyes for mine an my children's children's lifetimes. She did have a small button collection in there too. I have really enjoyed all of the thread on wooden spools too. I have no idea what to do with them, but I want to think of a way to display them that doesn't involve them becoming dust catchers.
I have been slowly using up her thread collection in the plastic bins, as I would like to get rid of the tacky 1970's harvest gold and avacado green thread boxes. I have certainly appreciated the gift of the threads and I have tried to use them in projects that will mean something to the recipients. We never did find a stash of fabrics. Just a few unfinished dresses or blouses. She did most of her sewing as garments. So I guess that shouldn't be too surprising. She did have a nice stash of sock yarn that went to a loving home, since I can't knit.
I am sure that one day I will have all of my Mom's stuff too. I hope her machine is still in working condition by then. She has an older, all metal Kenmore. It has all sorts of drop-in cams that make decorative stitches. This was pre-computer technology, so I don't have to worry about frying a circuit board when I use it!
Well, I guess this is enough of a trip down memory lane. I need to finish off the Just One blocks and get them in the mail. I did not get back to them last night as planned. Oh well.
You all take care! Cathy

inspired
April 6th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Rhonda; Thats sounds like a great day! We are nature freaks also and biking is something that we love to do but there has not been any bike riding here for ages. Funny thing is my Hubby has been looking for a bike recently thinking it would be a welcome change from our hikes. We have not been able to do that much due to the crappy weather here. Hope you had a great Day....Val

middlesis1966
April 6th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Hi all! Its so nice out. Im gonna go sit on the porch and people watch. Im so glad that sring is starting to come. I am so ready for the heat. Im not a cold weather chic. The hotter the better I say. Im still using a comforter until it hits the 90s. Drives the hubs crazy.
Im sorry but I dont mean to complain, but Im goiing crazy right now. I was hit with chemopause and the hotflashes are nasty. Does anyone have an all natural fix they use. I cant have any horomones so I need to do this very carefully. Any help would be great, thanks!
Well Im off to enjoy the fun n sun all! Take care!!!!

quiltingtrish
April 6th, 2011, 08:09 PM
All the treasures you gals are finding in boxes and sewing tins sounds wonderful! I sure enjoyed reading all about them.
I have some embroidery and tatting pieces from my Mom and Grandma that I enjoy looking at each time I pull them out.

Didn't get to see Katie play tonight. It rained earlier and they rescheduled the game. Then the sun came out but it was too late to get the away team to get to town. Looking forward to the next time I can go.

Told DH I wasn't going to wait until we had the resources to make a new sewing room. He said 'oh honey, it won't take forever' until I reminded him that we have 2 tax bills due this year and the homeowners insurance is coming up. So, now he's agreeing with me. We did cancel our long distance service on the home phone - who needs a double whammy when we use our cell phones all the time anyways and then we changed our cable and downgraded to a basic set of channels. Don't hardly watch tv much anyways so we figure every little bit counts. Also gearing up for a yard sale to clear out some basement stuff. Just staying busy so I don't go crazy. You'd think I'd be busy quilting - got that going too. Plugging away on more of those 10 minute blocks. They are turning out pretty. I ordered 3 more of the charm packs from MSQC and should be here anyday now. Just love getting a package in the mail. I don't do it very often.

Well, hope you all have a great evening. I'm off to throw a load in the washer and get to the sewing machine.
Hugs,

Blondie
April 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/catdogSM.jpg

Hi gals
Long day in the big city. You know how Dr visits go. All the hurry up to get there and then make sure you have a Stephen King Novel to read. Yeah, it's that long a day. Actually, today was short and sweet, once we got in there. Sis came with us this time and the three of us enjoyed our time together. Mom had an excellent report from the surgeon. I figured that one would be good. Now just to keep the positive thoughts and prayers for the two days next week with her labs, scans and etc.

Love the fact that so many of us have great memories associated with sewing, quilting, family. I believe that our predecessors would be mighty proud and happy that we share their interest. None of my Granny's quilts were considered pretty. They were usable because they were necessary. Made from old clothes, feedsacks etc, like so many others in this area. When I am paper piecing or just looking through magazines, I think of her daily. She would be wowed by all the variety of fabrics and folks to play with!
Twnkeyes, what a great Dad! What a shame those jobs are no longer around.
And how wonderful you are able to continue to share your youth with others and his treasure trove!
Well, gals, the sandman is about to beat me to death. Driving in the city is no fun for this country mouse. (I did stop and treat myself to a Starbucks - mocha latte, YUM) Work tomorrow with color and then a perm first thing in the a.m.
Big hugs to all my quilty sisters!

MaryB
April 7th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Cathy, What are a Daughter of the Nile and a Shriner, pls?
Mary B.

rebeccas-sewing
April 7th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I was so busy reading your post I had to go back and look at your lead-in. Love the look on their faces, especially the dog and the middle cate. LOLLOLLOLLOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/catdogSM.jpg

Hi gals
Long day in the big city. You know how Dr visits go. All the hurry up to get there and then make sure you have a Stephen King Novel to read. Yeah, it's that long a day. Actually, today was short and sweet, once we got in there. Sis came with us this time and the three of us enjoyed our time together. Mom had an excellent report from the surgeon. I figured that one would be good. Now just to keep the positive thoughts and prayers for the two days next week with her labs, scans and etc.

Love the fact that so many of us have great memories associated with sewing, quilting, family. I believe that our predecessors would be mighty proud and happy that we share their interest. None of my Granny's quilts were considered pretty. They were usable because they were necessary. Made from old clothes, feedsacks etc, like so many others in this area. When I am paper piecing or just looking through magazines, I think of her daily. She would be wowed by all the variety of fabrics and folks to play with!
Twnkeyes, what a great Dad! What a shame those jobs are no longer around.
And how wonderful you are able to continue to share your youth with others and his treasure trove!
Well, gals, the sandman is about to beat me to death. Driving in the city is no fun for this country mouse. (I did stop and treat myself to a Starbucks - mocha latte, YUM) Work tomorrow with color and then a perm first thing in the a.m.
Big hugs to all my quilty sisters!

Loonwatcher
April 7th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Blondie, love that photo. Hope you don't mind if I copy it.

Blondie
April 7th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Blondie, love that photo. Hope you don't mind if I copy it.

help yourself!