PDA

View Full Version : STEP AWAY from the kitchen....

New York Sue
November 5th, 2013, 04:23 PM
I set out to make my daughter a birthday cake earlier.
In the process, I bumped the vanilla extract, and lost the contents of the bottle.
Okay, NOT the end of the world...

As I'm mixing the batter in my Kitchen Aid, I go to add the melted chocolate.
The prep cup slips out my hand, and is now clunking around in the mixer bowl. I reach to shut it down, and instead
speed it up. The mixer kicks upright, on high speed.
There is chocolate EVERYWHERE.
Now, on my hands and knees, cleaning the floor and walls, my pug, Mitch joins in, incessantly licking my face.
That's when I realized I was covered in chocolate....

I sure hope the chicken cacciatore goes a little smoother!

Bubby
November 5th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Sue, I did the exact same thing (turning it up instead of down) in January when I was making a German Chocolate cake for our anniversary. Chocolate everywhere...all over the kitchen...all over me and in my hair...what a horrific mess. You will run into little gobs of dried chocolate for months. I feel for you chica!!

Hulamoon
November 5th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I'm sorry but I have to have a big giggle here:icon_hihi: Having done baking for hotels I had a slew of accidents like that. I made a batch of cheese cake in floor mixer (those are scary machines) Got it all in the pans and forgot the sugar! I have dropped in measuring cups (quart size) into the machine too. I used to have bad dreams I would get my arm stuck in there. Oh and I forgot yeast in a big batch of bread. lol I was able to save the cake and bread before they got into the oven. But whoa, stressful!

The worst was the guy that worked with me for awhile. We were making pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving. he misread the recipie and put a pound of cinnamon in! Then for the Danish we drizzle an icing but he used baking soda. lol

pcbatiks
November 5th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Yep..........that is when you know it's time to leave the kitchen..............and maybe eat out for supper! Hope supper prep goes better!

cindyinohio
November 5th, 2013, 06:19 PM
In my younger ,more ballistic days .....I was making a birthday cake for my husband and it stuck in the pan. So I threw a temper tantrum and threw the cake against the wall. Two days later, girlfriend who was there and witnessed my tirade , bought me the no-stick pans for my birthday. Must be something about birthday cakes! :0

Sharyn J
November 5th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Oh, Sue, don't you just hate when that happens? I decided to make some cookies with dried cranberries and white chocolate. I got everything into the Kitchen Aid and ready to add the Craisins. Then it dawned on me, I ATE THEM for a snack! :icon_heh:

K. McEuen
November 5th, 2013, 08:12 PM
You know, that's how I met my neighbor when I lived in Texas ... her kids came running into my house screaming "Help my mom, help my mom!" I ran across the street and into her house, there she stood with her hand caught in her Kitchenaid. She dropped the spoon in and reached for it without turning the machine off. I had to practically dismantle the thing to get her out. She did end up with a broken finger from it.

bubba
November 5th, 2013, 08:18 PM
My mother in law was making a cake once. She had an old stand mixer where the cord completely detached. As she was mixing, the end plugged into the mixer came unplugged and fell into the batter. Without thinking, she picked it out of the batter and put it in her mouth to lick it off.....yep, it was still plugged into the wall!!! She was not very happy about that!

Sandy Navas
November 5th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Time for to utilize speed dial for the bakery. Next time, turn the mixer on with only the dry ingredients in place . . . BTDT.

PeggyM
November 5th, 2013, 09:00 PM
I guess it's true, the most dangerous place in the house is the kitchen.

MRoy
November 5th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Sue, I apologize for giggling but picturing you on hand and knees cleaning with your fur baby licking your face just put me over the edge. I made fried apple pies last week and I managed to get flour all over the kitchen. If a messy cook is a good cook, then I'd be a world-class chef.

ilive2craft2
November 5th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Oh Sue! What an image! I bet your fur baby was a real big helper cleaning up that chocolate - especially from your face! Hope the cleanup was quick and the rest of the day was spatter free.

New York Sue
November 5th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Sue, I apologize for giggling but picturing you on hand and knees cleaning with your fur baby licking your face just put me over the edge. I made fried apple pies last week and I managed to get flour all over the kitchen. If a messy cook is a good cook, then I'd be a world-class chef.
I APPLAUD you for giggling, Myrna.
In fact, that's why I posted! If only I had a video....
May as well get some 'smile miles' out of the event. Giggles go a long way!
;)