PDA

View Full Version : My Smoke Detector

brook
November 5th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Does anyone know why my smoke detector would have a quiet, high pitch that goes on and off? It doesn't drive me out of the house, but it is irritating. Just started tonight. Although...for 2-3+ years it has gone off for no reason, which does drive me out of the house then just stops. It then will be quiet for another long period of time, then at some point will go off again.
I don't think it is a battery type because it's been in this house since it was built. (21 years)
Anyway, I just thought I'd ask here, because I don't know how to fix it.

Suzyq
November 5th, 2013, 03:59 AM
Just a,thought....is there a company name on the detector? If so, perhaps you can google the company, see if they have a 1-8oo number you can call...maybe the detector needs to be replaced, as its 21 years old. maybe your local fire dept would know...perhaps if not a battery one, perhaps a wire in the ceiling is causing the problems...

Shirley
November 5th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I'm not sure what the problem is if it doesn't have a battery. But if it was mine, I would replace it just for safety and peace of mind. Take care!

AuntieVic
November 5th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Battery needs to be changed. Even if it is hard wired, it should have a battery in it, in case the power goes off to the house. Good rule of thumb is when time changes, change the batteries in your smoke alarms.

CountryHut
November 5th, 2013, 11:13 AM
does the detector have a dual purpose? . . . do you have anything that is gas/propane? . . does it need a good dusting? . .
maybe a fly clogged the Sensor . . have you turned on your heater for the 1st time of the fall season? . . . is the alarm near a bathroom where it might get some moisture in it . . or what about the humidity in the house?

just a thought or two

Sandy Navas
November 5th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Good advice above. Even a bit of dust, spider web, or change in temperature could cause it. And the hard-wired alarms do have a battery (at least ours do).

Grandma G
November 5th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Might be the age. My home was built 17 years ago and all the smoke detectors are hardwired. We change batteries when the time changes, however, for the past year one or another would go off for no reason and it always seemed to happen during the night. Talk about re-charging your heart!! Anyway, even changing batteries didn't stop it so we opted to change out all of the detectors. Better safe than sorry.

Bubby
November 5th, 2013, 12:04 PM
We just went through this at our apartments. It sounds like your smoke alarm is hardwired into your electrical system and has battery backup. Most likely your battery needs to be replaced. If that doesn't cure the problem you need to replace your smoke alarm. The Cuba fire chief told me smoke alarms are only good for about 10 years and then need to be replaced. I'm not quite sure that I agree with this. The boxes they come in say nothing about replacing them every 10 years. At any rate, if you need to replace yours be sure to get one that says 'hardwired' smoke alarm.

Sharyn J
November 5th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I have a hardwired with battery backup. The darn thing kept chirping in the middle of the night. Replaced the battery twice and still chirped. Ran into our fire inspector in the building and told him my problem. He said the same as Bubby's fire chief, replace it. They're relatively inexpensive these days.

bakermom
November 5th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Replace it. we get the same thing with our carbon monoxide after a while. The chirping freaks out the dog, too BTW.
They are not that expensive and well worth it IMO

bhaggerty
November 6th, 2013, 01:22 AM
usually either battery back up needs replaced or dust inside it.

Genny
November 6th, 2013, 02:50 AM
Just like everyone on here I'd say its probably the battery or the alarm needs replaced. When my battery use to need replaced it would chirp every so often. Now we change all ours at every time change. Genny

HdWench
November 6th, 2013, 04:52 AM
My cats hate that chirping shrill!! We also have hardwired with battery back up, but buy a can of Canned air so when you replace the battery (most often found hidden under the plate on wall), you can also blow out the dust.

Thanks to others for the advice to get new ones! 10 years old but hardwired I never would have thought to buy new ;-)

debbie

Bubby
November 6th, 2013, 08:41 AM
If you have a smoke alarm hardwired into your electrical system it should be on a circuit breaker. If you change your battery and it still chirps, flip the circuit breaker off and after a few seconds turn it back on. That normally fixes that issue.