PDA

View Full Version : Rainy days and Tuesday

Blondie
April 5th, 2011, 08:25 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/hip.gif

Good Morning Ladies!

wow, some powerful storms passed through last night, some more rain is on the way. Luscious and I were up and down last night quite a bit as we were under a tornado thing. Not far from us it was reported that one may have touched down - three mobile homes were ripped to shreds. Hope everyone else had a quiet evening. When the sun is officially up I will take a peek outside. We have some huge old oaks in the front and back of the house and they seem to drop their tired old limbs during such storms. Wish we had the money to get them topped. One tree is my favorite. When I was a little girl I called it my dreaming tree. It is two trees starting from one trunk. I would nestle myself in the base of the trunks and read, play and in general hide away from everyone.

Ah, it's raining again, buckets. If this keeps up I am cancelling Mom's appt with the GP. I won't go out in this stuff. She doesn't need to either.

Patti, so you brought work home with you? I declare you are a treasure. I certainly hope that the owners write a book about your loyalty and tenacity.

Rebecca, I didn't look at Japan as being so exotic but was amazed back then at the amount of people everywhere. I love their culture. I also learned how to cook and speak quite a bit. I can still sing Love Lifted Me in Japanese. LOL.

As usual I know I am leaving out plenty of others who posted last evening. My apologies - I need to get Gracie out in between the rain drops.

Check in later kiddos.

RFREE
April 5th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Good mornin Blondie and all my quilting buddies. Yes we spent time in the storm shelter yesterday for sure. Tornato thingys here too.My DH stood on the back porch to keep an eye on the sky and me and the girls(Holly had a friend over) went underground.Scary stuff.All is well though. We had a tornado where I grew up back in 2005.I have 3 brothers and a sister living on the road it went down and all were effected.It took all day to clean up the graveyard where my parents are buried. This tornado hit at 1 oclock in the afternoon November 15 and if it had been later ( when school was out) there would have been several deaths for sure. It completely inialated a mobile home park at the end of the road.Killed one man.My brother lived in that park and was at work. I will never forget the look in his eyes when I got there. He was in total shock.Scary stuff for sure. I hope no one was effected by yesterdays storms.Thank goodness for todays technology to warn us well in advance.
Well I am off to spring clean and finish the laundry. Maybe get some sewing in a little today.Everyone have a wonderful day.
Rhonda from KY.

Loonwatcher
April 5th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Up here in the northeast it was just windy and rainy. We are very lucky that we very rarely (almost never) see a tornado. Our big "storm" of the night was DH very sick. Nobody in our house has vomited like that since I can't remember when. Poor thing still feels bad and just pooped this morning so it didn't take much for me to talk him into stay home from work. He's a workaholic and was worried about some project that "no one else could do". When I called his boss he said to tell him it wasn't his first day out of the barn and everything would be ok. That probably means they'll put the project off til tomorrow...hehehe!

I better get to work myself. Have a great day.

mamaquilt
April 5th, 2011, 09:15 AM
good afternoon,

Hope everyone is fine after that tornado passed thru. It must be really scary and frightfull. I never have been in a tornado, and only once in an earthquake.

I guess you feel helpless and have to watch what nature does to your surroundings. What kind of a shelter is it that you go to, when there is a tornado warning? Is that underground, like they had in the 2nd world war?

Hope everyone is doing fine and is able to sew or clean after the storm passed.

greetings from Luxembourg

ginampls
April 5th, 2011, 09:48 AM
hello ladies... tornatoes freak me out... like when i go camping... and the thing is tornadoes strike any time... like the middle of the night.... yikes.. so i hope everyone is doing good. we were at 24 degrees this am... and we are to expect rain later today... 30 more days and hopefully this stuff will all be gone.... i need to get on some paper work... find tax man stuff like that need to go to town as well. i am thinking of all of you...

Sandy Navas
April 5th, 2011, 10:29 AM

Good morning to everyone who has not blown away with the winds. Hope all of our wonderful friends are safe and sound. Rhonda, can't believe how it would feel to be so close and have friends and family involved. We've had some tornadoes close by but never enough damage to blame on anything other than strong winds - except about 30 years ago when I stood on my parent's front porch and watched the winds strip a neighbor's house of everything - left the refrigerator and took the ice cubes out of the trays.

Someone out there who is a bird fancier tell me how I can get Mr. Cardinal to quit bombarding our windows. I know he's seeing his reflection and is fighting off a competitor for his honey's affections. Surely he needs an aspirin because his head definitely has to hurt. And DeeOGee gets all disturbed every time he hits the window.

Yesterday was a wild day - I started working on FMQ on Zoe's quilt . . . I'm going in and take everything apart. I used my HV sewing machine with what they call a quilter's foot - but I need more practice with it. There is absolutely NO pressure on the fabric and it would be good if I were doing swirls, meandering, etc., but I sure can't sew ITD with it.

Last night was a wonderful quilt guild meeting. We had Amy Bradley (http://amybradleydesigns.com/) as a special guest speaker. She is hilarious, has such wonderful designs, brought quilts to show . . . very special evening. We also had an area set up where we sold/bought fabric from a former member who has passed. $1 a yard - I even got a bolt of fabric free because there was some damage on the fold edge. I really wish I'd bought more - but they will be there next month, too. And, I kept telling myself - do I need it. Of course the answer is NO.

My sister and I are off to Lee's Summit this afternoon to buy additional fabric for our BOMs for the guild. I wish you could have seen all the variations - color, etc. Everyone who is participating showed their blocks. I could have loved to put them all together and just make a quilt top from the first block. Other show and tells were spectacular. One woman only does hand applique and hand quilting and had the most spectacular king-sized quilt. It was a wonderful night.

Guess that's all from this part of the country. I'm off to see if I can find a hanging wind sock to deter Mr. Cardinal.

sewsoft
April 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Just stopping in to say hi:icon_wave:. Trying to see what I can get into today sewing wise. I need some fabric!

toggpine
April 5th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Hi everybody!
I did get some sewing and unsewing done yesterday. I took apart the block that had the bad middle, and re-made the missing block. Now I can layout the blocks for the wedding quilt and start making rows with that project.
I have also cut out part of the Just One stars. That will get finished when I get off of here, and hopefully sewn this afternoon while Em's in preschool. I have the last Christmas Quilt swap block to make, and that is done. I might get to that today too, IF I get off of the 'puter and don't poke around in blog-land today. I have a fair board meeting tonight, so I'll be out of the sewing room this evening. Grrr. Sometimes I wonder why I volunteer for things. I know, somebody has to right?
I'm gonna make like a tree, and leaf!
Hugs, Cathy

shawnan
April 5th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Glad to hear everyone is safe after tornadoes, but unfortunately it is just the beginning of tornado season. Hope everyone has a plan. Today we have beautiful sunshine, but horrible wind. ggggrrrrrr

Sewing has been very slow lately - not sure why. It feels like jet lag, but I haven't flown anywhere. Hopefully it gets better soon.

Have a good day everyone.

rebeccas-sewing
April 5th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Blondie, I'm trying to picture you singing in Japanese! Does Luscious get a kick out of that? Did you take lots of pictures while you were there? I've been taking tons of pictures and post them on my Facebook page. My Facebook friends like seeing where I've been. Do you live in your childhood home?

rebeccas-sewing
April 5th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Sounds like there's a lot going on with you, Sandy. Your quilting guild sounds like it's a lot of fun. Maybe if you put a piece of paper on the window he won't see his reflection and he'll get the message that everything is fine and he should move on. I find it incredible that he keeps coming back. I guess he lives in your trees?

Good morning to everyone who has not blown away with the winds. Hope all of our wonderful friends are safe and sound. Rhonda, can't believe how it would feel to be so close and have friends and family involved. We've had some tornadoes close by but never enough damage to blame on anything other than strong winds - except about 30 years ago when I stood on my parent's front porch and watched the winds strip a neighbor's house of everything - left the refrigerator and took the ice cubes out of the trays.

Someone out there who is a bird fancier tell me how I can get Mr. Cardinal to quit bombarding our windows. I know he's seeing his reflection and is fighting off a competitor for his honey's affections. Surely he needs an aspirin because his head definitely has to hurt. And DeeOGee gets all disturbed every time he hits the window.

Yesterday was a wild day - I started working on FMQ on Zoe's quilt . . . I'm going in and take everything apart. I used my HV sewing machine with what they call a quilter's foot - but I need more practice with it. There is absolutely NO pressure on the fabric and it would be good if I were doing swirls, meandering, etc., but I sure can't sew ITD with it.

Last night was a wonderful quilt guild meeting. We had Amy Bradley (http://amybradleydesigns.com/) as a special guest speaker. She is hilarious, has such wonderful designs, brought quilts to show . . . very special evening. We also had an area set up where we sold/bought fabric from a former member who has passed. $1 a yard - I even got a bolt of fabric free because there was some damage on the fold edge. I really wish I'd bought more - but they will be there next month, too. And, I kept telling myself - do I need it. Of course the answer is NO.

My sister and I are off to Lee's Summit this afternoon to buy additional fabric for our BOMs for the guild. I wish you could have seen all the variations - color, etc. Everyone who is participating showed their blocks. I could have loved to put them all together and just make a quilt top from the first block. Other show and tells were spectacular. One woman only does hand applique and hand quilting and had the most spectacular king-sized quilt. It was a wonderful night.

Guess that's all from this part of the country. I'm off to see if I can find a hanging wind sock to deter Mr. Cardinal.

janluna
April 5th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Hello Ladies, I am so sorry you had to deal with tornados. They scare me to death! We've had a couple of small ones around here, but nothing like the ones that take out the midwest and the south! Thank you God!
I will be getting things ready for quilt club to night. Two of our girls have joined a large guild and they always tell us what they saw and tips they learned. One of our girls,Dawn, is a natural. She always has something to show. She only belongs to our lowly little club but boy can she quilt!
She just knows stuff. She does it by instinct! She is an amazing quilter but more important an amazing friend.
Well, so much for me today. Love to you all, Jan L

rebeccas-sewing
April 5th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I've been in a hurricane, stranded in a snow blizzard, been trapped in a flood, and experienced a few earthquakes. Tornadoes are not on the list thank goodness. In Houston. I saw one up in the sky but it never touched down. I sure hope you all will stay safe and thank goodness for the weather report! Unfortunately, the earthquakes don't give us any notice. I keep hoping we move from California before the big one hits.

janluna
April 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Rebecca, I used to live in Santa Ana. Hate the earthquakes! And we didn't even have damage from one. I can't imagine a Haiti or Japan. They say it will happen here. NY has faults and 25 min. from NYC they have built a nuclear power plant, not on one fault but on two faults. Can you imagine what a mess that would be?! It make me wonder what they were smoking in college!! Jan L

patticakes
April 5th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Hi Quilty Ladies!
Nice to catch up on you and your weather. Sounds like the east is getting the weather we had the night before and now the big cool down. The sun is shining today but the wind is very cold. Drove to the PO and back to send package for work but came home to clean and do laundry.
Found a quilt I want to do from a November 2010 Quick Quilts magazine called Daisy Doodle. The "daisy" being more about the fabric than the pattern. I have bookmarked it to do as a Christmas present for someone as I have way too many other projects started right now.
Once this week is over I have decided I need to set up some kind of schedule for myself (walk/gym, clean, job search, then quilt and or work on my current quilting facebook page, and maybe do a blog) or I am afraid I will get lazy, bored and fall into a depression. My BF can sit around all day with no problem but that just drives me crazy! How do you who are lucky enough to be retired do it? I just want to scream at him to do something, anything...LOL! Don't get me wrong, he isn't a lazy man and a plumber by trade, he works very hard when he has side jobs to do and makes decent money. (anyone who has had to pay a plumber understands!) He has been laid off for 2 1/2 years so I guess he has gotten the hang of it. I have had a full time job since 1983!
Well off to clean something - Toota Loo Kangaroo!

quiltingtrish
April 5th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Just saying hello to everyone. Not much to report here. I did save the neighbors mail from their dog though. He took it off the front porch and ran away with it. Did my daily good deed.

Hugs,

toggpine
April 5th, 2011, 07:17 PM
OK, I have all but the setting triangles done on the Just One stars. I have one set pinned and ready for the machine when I get home tonight. I want them out in tomorrows mail! I also have run through two loads of wash, found the tax stuff to drop off at the accountant's, and am just about ready to run and feed the farm, before picking Em up at school and heading to the bored meeting, oops, I meant board meeting.
We are getting brief peeks at the sun and then it rains hard enough to make Noah jealous. Ooooh, now hail! Fun times! I just love spring!
Take care & I'll catch up with y'all later!
Cathy

debinmalaga
April 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Hello everyone! Cute graphic, Sandy, love the turtle and he looks like how I feel after today at work.

Hope y'all have a lovely evening!

sally
April 5th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Hey there not much to report. Weather is cool and clouldy but i see the Forsythia is about to bllom. on the weekend our birdbath was overflowing with Robins, Wax wings and Finches. Their music was glorious!
Still working on my 1600 quilt which actaully is more of an 1700 quilt (addeded some strips). Putting the last border on tonight. Other than that I am off to work out of town for the next two days. Heading to the snowy mountions. Taking my yo-yos to work on. Take care all!

Blondie
April 5th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Sandy, Hope you got Mr Cardinal straightened out. Poor thing.
And lucky you always able to get a steal of a deal!
I have never heard of a tornado taking the ice out of a tray but ooh boy, that scarey. We get warnings and an occasional hit in the county. More news than views. About 10 years ago we had one hit in the town next to us - we mostly get the straight line winds - the mountains protect us from most really bad bad weather but you never know! It just always terrifies me.
When I lived in CA years ago - I always hated those small quakes/tremors. Then one morning at 7 a.m. I woke up to my bed walking across the room and the chandelier overhead swaying. That was it for me. By the time hubs came home I was almost packed up and had called the moving company. Besides, I was really really homesick for anyone with a southern accent and a good bowl of grits, lol. Jan, we lived in Huntington Beach and then north of LA in Thousand Oaks. Lovely places but not for me.

Trish, you are a real do-gooder! I would have never noticed that dog I am sure. LOL.

Sewsoft, even with the sorting out of fabric I have done, I still want/need more fabric. LOL. This is a terrible obsession!
Cathy, I have several projects going - mostly swap blocks and in between work on my sister quilt and deciding how I am going to lay out the Christmas Star quilt and now the Dresden Fan. Takes me forever to make any block because I never get it right the first time. Good thing I like myself. Otherwise I would call myself all sorts of names and the air around me would be blue.

Night ladies!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/GN/sleepynkity.jpg

janluna
April 5th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Blondie, You sound like me. The first year I was in Calif. I think I cried at least once a week for the "REAL" green on New York's rolling hills. Then by my first Christmas when people were putting carousels in their yards and planting fake poinsettias in the rocks in front of there houses, I would have died for a look at snow in my yard. When spring came and they changed the fake poinsettias for fake tulips, I wanted to scream. I kept it all in. It almost drove me nuts. By way of Georgia I finally made it home. That was the word, HOME. I love this state even though the politicians are tearing it apart and we are the highest taxed state in the union, they can't take home from me ever again. Unless all my kids leave the state, I will never live anywhere else. I ended up hating Calif. It was a nice place to visit, but no one could ever talk me into going there again. Not even for a visit now. My home is where my husband and children are but Real Home will always be Western NY.
Hugs, Jan

quiltingtrish
April 6th, 2011, 12:01 AM
DS went to California for 3 days last summer and said it was fun, but had no interest in living there. It was too fast of a life for him. We live in a very small town 45 minutes from anything so I'm sure that airport and those crazy highways there made him a tad dizzy. For me, it was Texas that got to me. I loved Germany with all their little towns and mountains. Texas was so flat that I about cried for the mountains of home. When it was time for me to come home after 9 months there, I met my mom at the Dallas airport for her to ride home with me and she asked me where I thought I wanted to stop for the night. My exact answer was "on the other side of the Texas border". And we kept driving until we were out of the state. I love my mountains and the distinct differences in the 4 seasons. I wouldn't live anywhere else either unless my kids needed me if they move on their own.
Oh! WhoHoo! Looks like I'll get to see Katie play softball tomorrow after school as long as it doesn't rain. Sure do miss her.
I'm going to make sure I get a hug!
Hugs,

Blondie
April 6th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Blondie, I'm trying to picture you singing in Japanese! Does Luscious get a kick out of that? Did you take lots of pictures while you were there? I've been taking tons of pictures and post them on my Facebook page. My Facebook friends like seeing where I've been. Do you live in your childhood home?

LOL, Rebecca, Love lifted me is a lovely song but even lovelier in Japanese. And Luscious well, he gets a kick out of me every day. I'm his feisty gal from Carolina. He will tell you that although he is a Virginian and proud of it, he always liked Carolina girls. hehe.
The home I live in is located where my Granny's cabin stood up until around 1972. Then it was razed and my brother had this horrible ranch style built. I purchased it from him back in the 90's when I moved back home. My blueberry bushes grow over the rocky foundation of the original cabin. I have some old pics of it somewhere. I should look for them and share them.

Blondie
April 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Blondie, You sound like me. The first year I was in Calif. I think I cried at least once a week for the "REAL" green on New York's rolling hills. Then by my first Christmas when people were putting carousels in their yards and planting fake poinsettias in the rocks in front of there houses, I would have died for a look at snow in my yard. When spring came and they changed the fake poinsettias for fake tulips, I wanted to scream. I kept it all in. It almost drove me nuts. By way of Georgia I finally made it home. That was the word, HOME. I love this state even though the politicians are tearing it apart and we are the highest taxed state in the union, they can't take home from me ever again. Unless all my kids leave the state, I will never live anywhere else. I ended up hating Calif. It was a nice place to visit, but no one could ever talk me into going there again. Not even for a visit now. My home is where my husband and children are but Real Home will always be Western NY.
Hugs, Jan
Jan, there is NO place like home. No matter where you're from, it's home I reckon.
You know Jan, I moved to Ca. with my first hubs. That was the main strike against CA. He was from there and all his kin were there. They lived around Chino, Pasadena and Riverdale. I was treated like an ignorant hillbilly, even though I have a college degree. I made some lovely friends there, stay in touch with a few. I thought the state was really pretty and diverse. When I first got homesick for autumn, my Ex drove me to Big Bear and wow, some elevation. Beautiful country. But like you said, it wasn't home. I was miserable because I missed MY family and when you are an outsider it is no fun. While I was homesick for a southern accent, I got tired of people asked me to say Y'all. And they thought I was a goober. My middle son was born in Westminster Hospital; we lived in Huntington Beach at the time. That was a nice area. So was Thousand Oaks. I have some great memories. Just wasn't home.
Betcha we aren't alone in the home sweet home department.

Blondie
April 6th, 2011, 09:25 PM
DS went to California for 3 days last summer and said it was fun, but had no interest in living there. It was too fast of a life for him. We live in a very small town 45 minutes from anything so I'm sure that airport and those crazy highways there made him a tad dizzy. For me, it was Texas that got to me. I loved Germany with all their little towns and mountains. Texas was so flat that I about cried for the mountains of home. When it was time for me to come home after 9 months there, I met my mom at the Dallas airport for her to ride home with me and she asked me where I thought I wanted to stop for the night. My exact answer was "on the other side of the Texas border". And we kept driving until we were out of the state. I love my mountains and the distinct differences in the 4 seasons. I wouldn't live anywhere else either unless my kids needed me if they move on their own.
Oh! WhoHoo! Looks like I'll get to see Katie play softball tomorrow after school as long as it doesn't rain. Sure do miss her.
I'm going to make sure I get a hug!
Hugs,

Hope you got your hug! Prayers being offered in great faith daily for you, Trish. Just remember what my Granny always said, " A son is yours til he takes a wife, a daughter is yours all of your life."
Only part of Texas I thought was interesting to me was East Texas. Rolling hills reminded me of Pennsy and Va. Lovely lovely countryside with the heady fragrance of honeysuckle. The big cities were just too big for me. There were many other states I passed through that didn't do much for me but I wouldn't mind going back for a drive again. I think my mind set is different since I am older, happier and married to a man who is a great driver who believes in taking the back roads long way to everywhere. That's the way to see anything.
Love you, Trish. Arms around you right now. BIG HUG, SISTER

janluna
April 7th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I hope you got your hug too Trish. Was she receptive to it? Does she look good? I'm sure you will be able to mend fences with her soon. Love you Trish, prayers are yours everyday. Hugs, Jan

Onetiredmomma
April 7th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Good evening everyone! I've been run run run, and today I had a little more caffeine than usual so I got on here FINALLY! I'm ready to start a caffeine IV I got so much done today. Anywho... I've missed checking in with y'all, and I hope everyone had a blessed day! Nighty night and dream sweetly!