PDA

View Full Version : Night Owls coming to town- another new week is awaits us!

Lisapc
November 4th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Good evening Night Owls!

I have been rudely (just kidding) reminded for like the third time this week that Christmas is approaching and doing it quickly. So that make tonight's thread kind of easy and hopefully very helpful to some of us.

What are you getting your better half for Christmas/Hanuka or the holiday that you celebrate that isn't one of those?

Musical_Starling
November 4th, 2013, 01:14 AM
I have no idea what to get my Giant for Festivus! Okay, so I don't really celebrate Festivus, I celebrate Christmas. But now that I have heard of Festivus and it's such a fun word to say, I want to use it as much as possible! lol

In the past I've gotten him a Whirly Pop popcorn maker, a new computer, a surround sound system, a water fountain (the ones you look at, not the ones you drink from, unless you're one of my cats), and who knows what else. We've been together for 8 years tomorrow, and I barely remember what I bought him last year lol I buy him other smaller things to go with his "big" gift, but this year the big gift is eluding me. Totally stumped! He doesn't do sports or tools and isn't really a "techie" either, so what's left? lol

ilive2craft2
November 4th, 2013, 01:14 AM
I have no idea....I will be watching this thread hoping someone else has come up with something great!

KathieB
November 4th, 2013, 01:24 AM
As many of you know, my youngest daughter had been living in AZ and is expecting her first baby during the Christmas- New Year's holiday. She hasn't been "home" to Maine in 1 years, so we are going there to welcome our newest GS and celebrate the holidays! Our gift to each other!

Lisapc
November 4th, 2013, 01:25 AM
If we all need help buying for our men than this thread isn't going to help us!!!!!!!

Musical_Starling
November 4th, 2013, 01:32 AM
If we all need help buying for our men than this thread isn't going to help us!!!!!!!

Hey, Kathie posted an idea! She's going to visit her daughter and brand new grandson! (Congratulations Kathie! Enjoy your trip!)

Not much help to me though, we don't have kids yet, nevermind grandkids lol I could visit the SPCA where we got Tinkerbelle? No, that's not much of a trip, it's just a 15 minute drive away... Dang. Back to the drawing board!

Madeforyouinma11
November 4th, 2013, 01:33 AM
I'm not going to be of any help either. My husband is a policeman. When he is not working, he likes to be home. He plays xbox and playstation. The problem is, he plays the same game for years because there are so many different ways to play them and he never gets bored with them. Buying him a new game is not really an option. He loves to read, and gets most of his reading on kindle or iBooks, so gift certificates for iTunes and Amazon are always welcome but I like giving things that he can open and have fun with or enjoy. I'm always stumped on what to get for him. He likes gadgets, flashlights, and knives, but there are only so many different ones to get. Not sure what he'll be getting this year.

ilive2craft2
November 4th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Congrats Kathie! I also don't have any grandchildren or children living out of state. We could go visit our son at college, but he will probably be here for Christmas break and he is only 2-3 hrs away anyway.

Sure hope someone else jumps in with some other ideas.... :)

HdWench
November 4th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Gosh 24 years of gift giving, I'm out of ideas!!! Well I did "let" him order a larger smoker, does that count??

I also "let" him design a quilt for our big bed in here, it's shoved to the side so many after IQ I can move on that. This is always SO hard, what do they need that we just do not go out and buy??

Mine loves good cigars, so if I can find a box of Romeo and Juliet's that will make him happy, and he smokes those nasty things outside so it makes me and the kitties happier

Do they collect anything? Tools, DVD's of their favorite shows they may have missed while working hard for our Fabric?

A good bottle of... ? Scotch, Wine

Just trying to think over the years .

Deb

Hulamoon
November 4th, 2013, 01:39 AM
I have a worst half, so I don't have to worry about it :D

Musical_Starling
November 4th, 2013, 01:40 AM
I just thought of something! Not something that my Giant would like of course, why would I think of something that would help ME? lol But I thought of this thing, because I WANT ONE SO BAD!!!

The Ultimate Useless Machine! | (http://frivolousengineering.com/?page_id=750)

It is The Ultimate Useless Machine, but I just think it's too cool! Why can't my Giant be a gadget nerd like me? lol

ilive2craft2
November 4th, 2013, 01:42 AM
We have been married for 27 years, so 28 or 29 Christmases, birthdays, and anniversaries.... I am out of ideas... We have done the tools, clothes, music, etc, etc. He does like to do stained glass, but already has a grinder, etc. Just got a canoe off of ebay. Oh wait, I can get the trolling motor that he wants for the canoe....how do I do that without asking him which one he wants???

Lisapc
November 4th, 2013, 01:44 AM
I say this with much love! Except for Kathie, you people are pathetic!!!!! I am no better but since my men don't already have quilts I have it easy this year.

My Dad is getting a fence rail w/diamonds quilt. I started it for Peter and he saw the pattern in the magazine and I know he doesn't like it. Dad will also get a $25 gift card to Dunkins, his favorite place to treat the guys at work to a coffee and a mug rug to match the quilt and a mug to go with it from the dollar store. Him and my Mom go home with a trunk full of treats and they love that so they will be happy.

Hubby is getting a big star quilt. He will get slippers and whatever else he needs. He is like a lot of guys and tells me he doesn't need presents and fails to add it is because when he wants something he just goes to get it.

Did I give anyone ideas? Does anyone else have any ideas? I am glad I started this now because we all need help buying for our partners.

Lisapc
November 4th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Metal detector?

Musical_Starling
November 4th, 2013, 01:59 AM
I have a worst half, so I don't have to worry about it :D

Maybe that's what I'll get him, a divorce! :icon_giggle: Just kidding, he's too good to me for that. Plus he pouts like a little puppy when he's sad. How could you leave that? I mean, really!

bec
November 4th, 2013, 02:08 AM
I think I'm going to get DH a new Pawley Island Hammock. The one he had bit the dust and I can't think of anything else. The man has everything...all the fishing equipment he needs or wants, tools galore, and my son keeps him in electronics. He usually gives me a list of little things he could use, but I haven't gotten that yet. I haven't even got lists from my kids (ages 34 and 36). I like to have my shopping done by Thanksgiving, but don't think it's gonna happen this year. LOL

KathieB
November 4th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Lisa, I have to thank you for making me laugh out loud!

We used to stop at different stores when we would be out for a day-before MIL came to live with us. I would make a mental not of this that he showed me or said he wanted. Later I would go back and buy then and he would think I was so Great for knowing what he wanted! I did the same thing with my girls when they were growing up. I really impressed my youngest one. She must have thought I was getting feeble minded.

How about magazine subscriptions for his favorite hobby; coupon book for favorite dinners, date night, etc.; pick out a new aftershave product that YOU like

bec
November 4th, 2013, 02:14 AM
We have been married for 27 years, so 28 or 29 Christmases, birthdays, and anniversaries.... I am out of ideas... We have done the tools, clothes, music, etc, etc. He does like to do stained glass, but already has a grinder, etc. Just got a canoe off of ebay. Oh wait, I can get the trolling motor that he wants for the canoe....how do I do that without asking him which one he wants???

When I buy my husband something that I'm not sure exactly what he wants, I make a card that let's him know I'm getting it or I cut out a picture and put it in a wrapped box. Then he goes with me and picks it out after Christmas.

bec
November 4th, 2013, 02:16 AM
Metal detector?

Oh...that's a good one...but hubby already has one. But it's still a good idea for somebody. :)

Musical_Starling
November 4th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Now a magazine subscription, that could be just the ticket! Thanks Kathie! He likes a magazine from the UK called "Metal Hammer" and a subscription to that may be just the thing. Tucking that one in my back pocket, for sure ;)

MayinJerset
November 4th, 2013, 04:27 AM
I'm not going to be of much help because after buying DH gifts for 58 years I'm pretty much out of ideas. He is into photography and has several good cameras and lots of equipment so nothing needed or wished for there. He reads all the time so Barnes & Noble gift cards are on always welcomed. Bad thing he does just before Christmas is come shopping with me to help me choose gifts for others and he ends up on line with his arms filled with stuff that he buys for himself, all the stuff that I was thinking of getting him for Christmas.

Big gift thing for him right now are gift cert. to restaurants. We usually go out for dinner on Friday nights so he gets to go through the gc to choose a place to eat, usually a big process for he keeps changing his mind where to go. He stretches the gcs out throughout the year, we get to eat favorite and new restaurants and almost always take home food to next day's lunch or dinner. Those gc's to restaruants are also a gift to me as that makes 2 meals that I don't have to cook.

Years ago when grandkids were younger I gave each of them a Christmas Wish List, even one for grownups. Lists asked what they liked to read, favorite colors, sizes, games, etc. and always included a line where they would write what they would be doing for others this year. I'd pick a gift from the list and add one or two smaller ones just for fun. Since I have 8 DGDs there were always a lot of little gifts to choose from, my only DGS is another story although at 13 cash is welcomed. Sons and their wives rarely filled out their Wish Lists so a few years ago I settled on a box of filet mignon steaks delivered to their homes before Christmas. DS#2 did fill out his list one year and put only one item, a Million Dollars - well besides the steaks he got box of Million Dollar Candy Bars.

Cathy F
November 4th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Sorry Lisa, not much help here either. We've been married 47years and have run the gambit of gifts dry! Done all the tools, fishing equipment, and all the corvette parphenalia, last year I was desperate and Embroidered him a custom pillow to put in his car when he goes to car shows. It seems we're at the age where if we want something we just buy it for ourselves so it makes gift giving hard.

Terri
November 4th, 2013, 07:06 AM
I haven't talked with DH about it yet, but I want to cut back from what we did last year. Last year I got him a new adjustable height padded leather piano bench (the seat/lid lifts, so it has storage inside) and a Bose sound system. He got me a vintage looking (lacey) bracelet with clear crystals in it (a couple of steps above CZ, but not diamonds) and he got me a band to go with a ring he got me 3 or 4 yrs ago for Christmas. It's channel set baguette diamonds in white gold. So now I wear the two rings as my wedding set.

I am thinking much more practical this year. The TV in our bedroom is over 8 (maybe even 9) yrs old and is a dinosaur! One that takes up so much space for a small screen, the color is not great, and the built in DVD player is dead. So I am going to suggest we get a new slimline/thin TV for the bedroom with a separate DVD player. That shouldn't break the budget. :icon_happy:

Jean Sewing Machine
November 4th, 2013, 07:52 AM
No DH buying here, but the late DH always made his Christmas list on the first of November. First item on the list was always a Porsche! Hope springs eternal! Well, if you weren't going to get that for him, then the second item was socks. That was usually it, eXcept maybe there was some CD by some unknown obscure musiciam he heard on NPR THAT YOU COULD ONLY FIND ON AN UNKNOWN WEBSITe THAT TOOK 6-8 weeks for delivery. So we could hardly ever fulfill his wishes, he'd just pick out a tool and say it was from wife and kids. That's how we rolled!

MayinJerset
November 4th, 2013, 07:53 AM
I am thinking much more practical this year. The TV in our bedroom is over 8 (maybe even 9) yrs old and is a dinosaur! One that takes up so much space for a small screen, the color is not great, and the built in DVD player is dead. So I am going to suggest we get a new slimline/thin TV for the bedroom with a separate DVD player. That shouldn't break the budget. :icon _happy:

That is a great idea. That's what we did last year, gifted ourselves with a thin line TV for our TV room.