PDA

View Full Version : Kiss of Death

bhaggerty
November 1st, 2013, 09:49 PM
A while back we had a post about snakes!
I finally found my picture of a copperhead on our front porch eating ? something - looks like a mouse or a small squirrel or something.
the Schwann man (frozen food sales) stepped right over him thinking he was dead...but he was just eating!
Anyway, I took this picture (zoomed in) and you can see the striking characteristics of this amazing and deadly animal.
1. Hershey kisses - triangular shapes down the side of the body - aka "kiss of death" - super camouflage in leaves or rocks
2. slit pupils
3. poison glands/triangular head
4. the green tip tail - which they wiggle so a bird, mouse or lizard will think it is an insect/lunch to attract them so they can ambush them!

Musical_Starling
November 1st, 2013, 10:01 PM
Yep. Glad I live on this little rock with NO snakes! Okay, so there are pet snakes, but they don't count lol

Lisapc
November 1st, 2013, 10:06 PM
That poor Schwann guy! You all have such exciting, scary and dangerous snake stories.

All I got this year was my Blaze laying on the ground with a baby Garter snake about the size of a pencil on the ground with his paws surrounding him to keep him safe. He didn't want his sister Karli to stomp on it which is usually what she does to worms.

Hulamoon
November 1st, 2013, 10:20 PM
No snakes here either except this this little guy. We used to catch them for the kids. Go down about half way

Kailua Animal Clinic - Trivialities (http://www.kailuaanimalclinic.com/trivia.html)

Lisapc
November 1st, 2013, 10:38 PM
No snakes here either except this this little guy. We used to catch them for the kids. Go down about half way

Kailua Animal Clinic - Trivialities (http://www.kailuaanimalclinic.com/trivia.html)

Now that is my kind of snake. Nice and little and not scary at all. I would have frozen or peed myself if I opened my front door to find that copperhead!

pcbatiks
November 1st, 2013, 10:50 PM
Well........thank you for THAT picture.........I nearly pulled my feet up in my chair!! :D EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! Very wicked looking snake! Now I'm going to find a picture of a fluffy puppy to delete the snake image from my mind...... :D

Jen7
November 1st, 2013, 10:52 PM
Wow! So what happened to the snake???

Sandy Navas
November 2nd, 2013, 12:08 AM
Well, I know the snake probably got his head chopped off - but what happened to the Schwann man????????? Better yet, what happened to Bernadette?

Pandabear
November 2nd, 2013, 12:28 AM
Ah copperheads. The first month we had our chocolate lab he was bit by a copperhead. Our pup was only 7 weeks old. The next year he was bit AGAIN. This year we managed to keep him unbitten.

I dispise copperheads.

Why does he get bit so often you ask? He tries to lick them. He successfully licked a black snake on the back once. Sometimes he's not very bright.

Oh and copperheads eat toads. Just FYI.

HdWench
November 2nd, 2013, 06:50 AM
Well........thank you for THAT picture.........I nearly pulled my feet up in my chair!! :D EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! Very wicked looking snake! Now I'm going to find a picture of a fluffy puppy to delete the snake image from my mind...... :D

ROFLMAO omg *spit coffee on my screen* hehehehe

HandsOffItsMine
November 2nd, 2013, 08:11 AM
Having lived in the Foothills of Calif. most of our married life, snakes part of the yard - NOT that I like it. Nothing better than a DEAD snake. I don't wait to identify whether it's a good one for the eco system or not. Rattle snake, gopher snake, racer snake, dead snake!

Don killed one with 17 rings! It was almost 7 feet long and 9" around, needless to say it had been in our backyard for a very long time and surely had a mate. We've had babies on the mat by the patio door, which are even more dangerous because they don't let go/continuously bump venom out.

My crazy male neighbors tried to convince me to "check out" the snake to see if it was a racer which eat rattlers or gopher which eat rodents, blahblahahaha. Yeah right! If it has no fur, no arms, no legs, it slithers, it's going to get it's head/body chopped! Period!!

That Schwann man is nuts...even a "dead" snake head can bite and release venom. Could you imagine his surprise if that snake decided that his ankle looked more appetizing than that little mouse?!? Yikes...

Bubby
November 2nd, 2013, 08:22 AM
We are well acquainted with copperheads. The first year we lived here we killed 12 in one month. Since we have cut down the brush and moved the woods further back from our home, plus having Scotties, they have been keeping their distance. This summer a neighbor had his property logged and a few slithered into our yard trying to get away from the loggers - only to lose their heads. IMO, the only good snake is a dead snake....sorry pet snake lovers! It's one thing to have a pet snake and know where it is at all times, but it's something different to have to watch every step you take because of snakes.

Monique
November 2nd, 2013, 08:22 AM
I HATE SNAKES! Thank God we don't have that kind here. I would never leave the house.

bhaggerty
November 2nd, 2013, 10:24 AM
Yes, that tasty morsel in his mouth was his last supper. As soon as I took the picture, my DH did chop off his head and he became work food.

bdmsmith
November 2nd, 2013, 11:09 AM
Just curious...what do you mean when you said he became 'work food'?

easyquilts
November 2nd, 2013, 12:43 PM
I have a true phobia re. snakes...of any kind..... Really..... When I was a paramedic, there was a woman I. Our tone who had a house full of them,ll I told my crew that if we ever hot a run there that I would NOT go in,,,,,even for a full code.... Bring her out, and I 'll do my job, but going in was nit an option for me...ever.

Yikes!

easyquilts
November 2nd, 2013, 12:44 PM
"Work food"?

bakermom
November 2nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
I was wondering about that myself...........

bhaggerty
November 2nd, 2013, 03:39 PM
Just curious...what do you mean when you said he became 'work food'?

Silly auto correct

I meant to write "WORM FOOD"

hahaha - wouldn't that be funny - turn him into stew? Reminds of that scene in the movie of "the waterboy" when they are eating that snake!

bec
November 2nd, 2013, 04:35 PM
Ah copperheads. The first month we had our chocolate lab he was bit by a copperhead. Our pup was only 7 weeks old. The next year he was bit AGAIN. This year we managed to keep him unbitten.

I dispise copperheads.

Why does he get bit so often you ask? He tries to lick them. He successfully licked a black snake on the back once. Sometimes he's not very bright.

Oh and copperheads eat toads. Just FYI.

True...copperheads will eat toads, but they eat a variety of small animals...birds, mice, etc.

Some people get Hog-nosed snakes confused with copperheads because they can spread their heads out and look like they have a triangular head or even spread out like a cobra. There are two color phases, one can be marked similar to a copperhead. The other is solid black/dark gray. Hog-nosed snakes eat toads, too.

bec
November 2nd, 2013, 06:37 PM
Nice picture of a copperhead, BTW. Glad I've not had any hanging around my door! :)

My previous post was just a FYI because so many people kill hog-nosed snakes thinking they are copperheads and actually they are harmless. Yours IS a copperhead.

Wwena
November 3rd, 2013, 04:59 AM
He was beautiful! Just look at that pattern, oh my. We don't have a snake problem in Sweden. There is one kind that is poisonous but it's really shy and people rarely get bitten. My parents cat got bit a couple of times but on the other hand we also found bits of snake writhing in the grass lol. I guess she wanted to do more than just like it!! (I laighed so hard reading that bit.)

When I was a kid I really liked snakes. Today I don't mind them but I wouldn't want one as a pet. I have a friend who used to have them but that was before I got to know her. I'm glad we don't have any dangerous ones in the wild here, beautiful or not!

SallyO'Sews
November 4th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Terrifying.

MartinaG
November 4th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Beautiful pattern - still so deadly. We only have gopher snakes and green racers. Our cat caught a snake once and the snake wrapped itself around the cat's belly. She tried so hard to get that thing off. DH had to pick up the cat and unwind the snake. Too funny. I am cautious around them but not phobic. Spiders.....that's another story.

nyscpa2be
November 4th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I am also snake phobic. To the point where I will run away.

My engagement photos (with the ex) were done at Saratoga Battlefield - as in the Turning Point of the American Revolution. Amazing spot, and beautiful foliage. However, we got out at the first stop to pose, and there was a tiny tiny snake in the grass. I thought it was a toy someone had dropped. Until it moved, and I screamed. XH had to get it into the tall grass and away from me.

cyndiofthevortex
November 4th, 2013, 05:13 PM
This is the kind of snake we have in NH.

quilter.martha
November 4th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Snake nightmares, here they come. Ooooh, I hate snakes, at least poisonous ones. When I was 13 I almost stepped on a sidewinder out in the California dessert. Scared me to death.