PDA

View Full Version : need advice on wedding shower gift

Quilted Fantasies
October 30th, 2013, 08:34 PM
I have recently started attending my sister's very small church. My niece, 17 years old, is throwing a wedding shower Sunday for a couple, who got married recently. I don't know the couple at all, except I do know that the man is my other niece's boss. I asked where they were registered; my niece doesn't know. I asked what they wanted/needed; she didn't know that either. I didn't bother asking her what their decorating scheme was. I'm assuming early eclectic. I texted my sister and no response from her either.

I want to do something for this couple, partly because my niece is throwing the shower. My go-to gift for wedding showers is a nice Christmas tree wall hanging. However, since I don't know this couple, I have no idea whether they would want this or not. Other options are quick potholders, mug rugs, or coasters. They would be quicker than the wall hanging. And of course there's always the Bed Bath and Beyond gift card but truthfully making something would be easier and more enjoyable than driving to BB&B.

Suggestions, please??? I need to at least start making something tomorrow if I'm going to do that.
Thanks in advance.

KathieB
October 30th, 2013, 08:41 PM
An easy table runner in neutral colors?

Bubby
October 30th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I would make them something that would be useful day to day...placemats, potholders, coasters, etc.

grandmasieg
October 30th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Every wedding shower I go to I gift a heating pad. I know, sounds weird, but my mother started this years ago. You would be surprised what a big hit the heating pad is! Every shower I've gone too, I've been told what a wonderful and useful (and unusual) gift. To make it a bit more personal, I make a heating pad cover, usually with a little saying embroidered on "Oh My Aching Back" or something to that effect. Just an idea for you. I've also gifted hot water bottles with made cover.

Hugs!
Debbie

kensington
October 30th, 2013, 09:34 PM
I would ask my niece to find out that information. She is the one giving the shower, she needs to know some kind of gift ideas to tell people who ask. She really does.

kensington
October 30th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Every wedding shower I go to I gift a heating pad. I know, sounds weird, but my mother started this years ago. You would be surprised what a big hit the heating pad is! Every shower I've gone too, I've been told what a wonderful and useful (and unusual) gift. To make it a bit more personal, I make a heating pad cover, usually with a little saying embroidered on "Oh My Aching Back" or something to that effect. Just an idea for you. I've also gifted hot water bottles with made cover.

Hugs!
Debbie

That being the case, I'd make a corn pillow. I made them and gave them out years ago to mine and my husbands family. Of course I made two for us and we've always had them. Now, the kids are all grown and have been using them all these years and they are asking for them.

You make a pillow, about 8 x 12, fill it with Field Corn, and sew it shut, include a few different pillow cases they can switch out. That thing goes in the Microwave for 2.5 or 3 minutes and holds heat for about 1.5 hours. It's loose, so you can put in on a shoulder or back or foot and it stays there!

Lisapc
October 30th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Table runner, placemats. All good ideas here. I would say neutral colors no matter what you choose to make. Let us know what you decide.

Miss Sheri
October 30th, 2013, 11:36 PM
That being the case, I'd make a corn pillow. I made them and gave them out years ago to mine and my husbands family. Of course I made two for us and we've always had them. Now, the kids are all grown and have been using them all these years and they are asking for them.

You make a pillow, about 8 x 12, fill it with Field Corn, and sew it shut, include a few different pillow cases they can switch out. That thing goes in the Microwave for 2.5 or 3 minutes and holds heat for about 1.5 hours. It's loose, so you can put in on a shoulder or back or foot and it stays there!

They are also great to put in the FREEZER as a flexible, non leaking cold pack! I've also made them out of rice, or dry beans.

SallyO'Sews
October 31st, 2013, 12:05 AM
Grace-Ann, are they listed at theknot.com? If they do have a listing there, the registry should be there.

ilive2craft2
October 31st, 2013, 12:16 AM
They are also great to put in the FREEZER as a flexible, non leaking cold pack! I've also made them out of rice, or dry beans.
I make mine with flaxseed--the oil in the flaxseed holds the heat longer and they are softer and more squishable than the corn ones.

I think these are all great ideas. Love the heating pad or water bottle with a cover.

Gayle8675309
October 31st, 2013, 12:55 AM
I would probably make a table runner or coasters.

Hulamoon
October 31st, 2013, 01:45 AM
I don't have any ideas but to look on Etsy or Pinterest. When I got married I didn't have any bridal shower, wedding shower or wedding gifts except from my mom and dad.

snippet
October 31st, 2013, 01:54 AM
I like the table runner idea. It's easy and looks so elegant on a table. Do it in a fall or Christmas fabric,or if you are adventurous,make one for each season!