PDA

View Full Version : How I met my DH

Meli
October 30th, 2013, 04:01 AM
I haven't even started typing yet, but I can tell you right now, this is a meli-ramble.

Ten years ago this past September, my subscription to eharmony.com was about to expire. After six months of a whole-lotta-nuthin, I had decided to not renew it. About a week before the end of my subscription, they suddenly found a possible match for me. Because of how their site worked at the time, I knew it would be a week of back and forth internally on the site before I could give him my email address. And what was the point? So I could have another uninterested middle aged self-absorbed idiot ignore me? No thank you! A few days later, I got an email that said James had initiated contact. There was no way we'd get through all the back and forth stuff in 4 days. But, what the hell, right? My subscription was magically extended 3 or 4 days, right up to the moment after I sent him a message that included my personal email address. Weird.

For the next week, the emails flew fast and furious and then... nothing. For nearly 3 weeks. Then I got one that said he'd been out of town with the Army and then had gone hunting. Umm...what? He hunts and he's in the Army? Oh, this will never work! But he was fun to email with, especially during the day when we were both at work and had some down time. We started talking about Halloween and how neither of us liked to give out candy, neither of us wanted to stay home. I started dropping hints. About twenty of them. "Why don't you go to a church dance?" "Oh, I don't like to dance. But you should go." "Ya know, there are a lot of haunted houses or corn mazes." "Yeah, there are. You should to go one." And so on. Until finally he picked up on the clues and asked me out.

For Halloween.

We had a blast, couldn't stop talking, and as soon as he got home, he sent me another email, said he couldn't wait to see me again.

I love him more than words can say, and I feel so blessed to have him in my life. Even if he is a hunter. And a camper. And an outdoorsman. And, it turns out, a gamer geek.

Evilynn
October 30th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Very cute story! I had to smile. It's amazing that we overlook things that we really don't like if it's the right one. I am glad that you are happy! And the right one he obviously is! :)

Andrea F
October 30th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Really a cute story, had to smile too. My hubby and I are together for 25 years now and we had to meet in person to find each other. I am still sort of surprised when I hear that people meet on the internet and finally get married, my neighbours did too. I had a friend trying the internet dating but she always met frogs, no princes ;)

Lenie
October 30th, 2013, 04:37 AM
I love your story, Meli. Enjoy your Halloween together.

HdWench
October 30th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Meli, come in and ramble any time you want!! What a lovely cinderella story and with Halloween coming up, perfect timing to share! And a good topic - How you met your DH

I was at work and they flew my husband in for an interview in our Science department -- Sitting with me was a younger lady scientist, but as he walked by to start being introduced - One look at his tall, dark handsomeness and I said "Wendy that is the man I'm going to marry!" She said, you don't even know his name yet! Well he accepted the job and a year later he proposed - I overlook the fact that he is very smart and I'm the one stuck with "common sense" :lol:

(((Meli))) Happy Anniversary and many more

Debbie

CrazyMtnLady
October 30th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Wonderful story!
I have a hunter, outdoorsman too, but I love doing those things myself. The only thing he doesn't enjoy that I wish he did is sports. I like to watch football and baseball and Nascar and other sports. Although he has finally come around to liking Nascar, the only time I can get him to watch baseball or football is the World Series and the Super Bowl.

Miss Sheri
October 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Meli, I LOVED that.

My husband and I are in our 29th year. We dated a few times in between dating a variety of other people, not really attached to any of them. We hadn't seen each other for several weeks and I called him up and asked what he was doing. He said he was going golfing. I asked if I could come along too, and he said only if I carried his clubs. I said, "Sure!" which surprised him a lot. What surprised him even more was that I actually really DID carry his clubs. He told me later in our courtship that was the moment he realized he had a pretty good thing and better not let me get away, ha ha.

MayinJerset
October 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I went to an all girls high school outside of my Brooklyn neighborhood, boring without any guys around. My girls friends and I liked to hang out at a local ice cream shop where the gang from the local co-ed high school hung out. Shop was a diner during the day and early evening and at night high school kids hung out in the back booths where the juke box was. One night Katie, the owner's sister, told me she wanted to introduce me to someone, and it turned out to be DH who was there with some college friends. Katie always liked my DH and told me she didn't introduce just anyone. We sat in a booth and talked while my girls friends died when the saw who it was because he was handsome and lots of girls had crushes on him. The rest is sort of history, we went out a bit, stopped seeing each other, got back together and married when I was just 19 and he was 21 in the Marines at the tail end of the Korean War. In 2014 we will be married 59 years so thank Katie wherever you are.

bubba
October 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I met my husband in high school too. November of senior year in 1974. I was in charge of the candle sale the seniors did and he came to pick up his candles to sell. The moment I saw his head coming up the stairs, I knew immediately that was who I would be married to. He had not said a single word. My tongue was tied, I'm sure I was drooling and there were all sorts of alarms going off in my head! Fast forward to spring and the senior ball. We had become friends, but nothing more. All the girls knew who they wanted to go with and the boys had to clue all the plotting and planning going on behind the scenes! It was down to a week before the dance, and while I knew he had asked two of my friends, who turned him down, he had not asked me! Finally, I worked up the nerve and asked him! I still remember the next afternoon when he called me and asked since I asked him, was I paying or was he??? Oh my goodness, what did I see in him???

Needless to say, that was our first date and I never dated anyone else. We got married that December when he graduated out of Marine Corps boot camp and this December will be our 38th wedding anniversary. He jokes he was doomed from the start! Sometimes I am amazed we ever stayed married, and believe me, there were times it was ugly, but I would marry him all over again. I am his and he is mine.

Renate
October 30th, 2013, 01:26 PM
We are also an internet-couple. 10 Years ago my Darling and I had a so called "blind date" and please do not laugh, it really was like in a Hollywood movie. We saw each other and had the same thought: this is the Person I want to grow old with.
Till today, we both feel it as a wonder and thank God everyday for giving us the Chance to meet each other.

pcbatiks
October 30th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Great story Meli...........so happy for both of you!

Divine Daisy
October 30th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I met Mr Daisy in person in court. He was an expert witness and I was really mean to him. He asked me out to lunch after his evidence and the rest is history.

Meli
October 30th, 2013, 03:38 PM
You were mean to him and he asked you out anyway? Definitely a keeper!

I met Mr Daisy in person in court. He was an expert witness and I was really mean to him. He asked me out to lunch after his evidence and the rest is history.

Tanya D
October 30th, 2013, 04:26 PM
There are some great love stories here! That's fantastic :)

I met my DH thru his sister. I worked with Deb and she asked me to come pick her up on New Year's day from her brother's place. I went over there and we were all just sitting around talking. I mentioned something about my birthday coming up and Steve said he would throw me a party at his house. (Ok, they had a party every weekend). So three weeks later I went to his party after I got off work. About 1/2 an hour after I got there he threw this line at me, "Do you mind if I hit on you all night?" LOL

That was in 1990 when I was just about to turn 20. We've been together for almost 24 years and just celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary this past summer.

He's my person and I wouldn't want another <3

Lisapc
October 30th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Congrats Meli on finding the right guy for you!

I was 12 he was 20. 20 yrs later he followed me around for a few days and then held my hand. I am hooked and fall more in love every day.

PeggyM
October 30th, 2013, 06:55 PM
I love a good love story with a happy ending.

sally
October 30th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I met my DH thru the internet as well. When I saw his profile picture my first thought was he was not the usual kind that I find attractive. However having learned my lesson from my past negative relationship I said to myself... Hey he is kinda cute and he is standing in front of a camping trailer holding a fish. What's not to like. I love camping, fishing,the whole outdoor thing so I started the ball rolling. Eventually we agreed to meet at a coffee shop near me and then well ...I was a no show. My mother had fallen and broken he arm and I had to go help her. I tried to ph. and no voice mail. I felt so bad. When I got back I was able to reach him and again we agreed to meet but closer to where he lived this time. At the time we lived in neighbouring cities. Lucky for me he gave me a second chance and the rest is history. Our second date was a camping trip. Hey if they still like you without the make up and smelling of camp smoke...it was meant to be. We have been married 8 years now. He is my best friend. I am really blessed!

GuitarGramma
October 30th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I like to say that DH and I were the original computer dating success.

It was 1975, and personal computers hadn't even been invented. DH and I were both Computer Science majors -- I was one of only five women in the class. To do your homework, everyone had to go to a computer lab, normally working into the wee hours.

At 12:15am one night (morning?), I heard an anguished groan across the table. I looked up, said "What's wrong?" and thought, "I've never seen him before!" Turns out he'd hit a key that threw away eight hours worth of typing. We became best friends and eventually I got up the courage to ask him out. We've been giddily happy for 34 years, and I thank God that He brought this good boy my way. I don't deserve him.

To this day he neglects to save his work! Says it worked out so well the first time.

Kelly F
October 30th, 2013, 09:36 PM
​love it! I met my hubby on Facebook.

alliek
October 30th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Well nothing exciting in the way of a story, We have known each other since we were 12, and let me tell you that was a loooong time ago. We only started going out when he came out of the service, and I guess with all it's up's and down's, 3 kids, and 6 granddaughters later we will celebrate 50 years next April.

momtutor
October 30th, 2013, 11:16 PM
It is so much fun to read all of these love stories. My DH and I have been married for 30 1/2 years.

How did we meet? My sister actually introduced us. They worked together, and I was looking for a job, so my sophomore year in college, he hired me at McDonald's Riverboat. On my 20th birthday, I had to work, and do inventory at the store. He was a supervisor of 6 stores and he knew I would be the one working that night.
He came to see me at work, with an excuse he was picking up paperwork. When I mentioned I had to stay and work inventory, he offered to stay and help me. Then at midnight and under the moonlight he gave me a "foot popping" kiss. And as they say.....the rest is history. He is my angel sent from God, a wonderful father, grandfather and fabulous husband. I love him more everyday, and now that we are empty-nesters, we are having so much fun playing together and spending lots of time together.

I actually think my sister is jealous that I ended up with him, and she did not.

Mpyles
October 31st, 2013, 12:37 AM
All the stories are great! I met my DH ....at work!! He got transferred to my location, he was a real charmer. Always trying to make my life easier...said marry me and I will take you away from all this.....haha...jokes on me....still work there! But ended up with a great guy!!

Gayle8675309
October 31st, 2013, 12:39 AM
So happy that you made a match! Lovely story. :)

Shadowirish
October 31st, 2013, 01:57 AM
I am another match.com success story!

snippet
October 31st, 2013, 02:09 AM
Wow! All these internet matches are so inspiring and sweet. Maybe I'll meet my prince, I seem to get frogs lately.

aliaslaceygreen
October 31st, 2013, 11:51 AM
Yup. This is starting to read like an ad for Match! Add me to that list. I met a couple of good guys and a few losers. One good guy I've never met responded to me and we had a great convo going but he felt he was too far away to pursue. But he was nice and friendly and then this other guy contacted me. I took the first guys very sweet tone and attitude and responded to the second guy saying he was probably too far away. But we kept chatting anyway and eventually just HAD to meet. Married 1.5 years later in 2002! Still am friends on FB with the first guy still haven't met him. And I moved 7 hours away !